HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 04:14 PM
doorman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
If you do go full rebuild, you can't have half measures in doing it. Anyone over 25 right now would be up for auction if Nonis wants to go for it. I'd try to move as much before this year's draft because it is deep with high end quality.
Not sure I agree completely with that staement but know what you mean.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:14 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Be prepared to be mobbed by Leaf fans telling you that Gillis will have to buy Luongo out in two years.
I'm actually totally fine with it. Sends a message that simply because we have too many good assets - we are not going to be give garbage teams our redundant yet valuable players. If they don't like it, they can beat it.

They can rot in the bottom of the standings, while Vancouver continues its tradition of excellence and league dominance.

Two outstanding goaltenders will be crucial with our shortened season, as is having a lot of depth defencemen.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:17 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
I'm actually totally fine with it. Sends a message that simply because we have too many good assets - we are not going to be give garbage teams our redundant yet valuable players. If they don't like it, they can beat it.

They can rot in the bottom of the standings, while Vancouver continues its tradition of excellence and league dominance.

Two outstanding goaltenders will be crucial with our shortened season, as is having a lot of depth defencemen.
I'm totally fine with it too. Unless a deal improves us to a greater extent than the loss of Luongo then we should stick with both goalies even in the worst case scenario if we do need to trade Luongo for peanuts next summer. Does adding Bozak make up for the loss of Luongo? Not even close.

Last edited by vanwest: 01-18-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old
01-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
LOL, i will assume you are a Nuck's fan. I will answer your question with a question...would you rather see early playoff exits or 11 banners hanging from the rafters of BC place? Again, i get we are a bad team now, but if your team has NEVER reached the heights the Leafs have.....how can you poke jokes?
The heights of winning 8 playoff games? I wish the bar was still so low.

You experienced some of those wins though, so kudos to a long time fan.

I don't personally think much of cup wins from the 6 team league. They certainly have no bearing on today. I have never bragged about the Vancouver Millionaires Stanley Cup win either. It's too long ago and the league was so far removed from what it is today, it has no context. But really, there are no Canadian franchises with any bragging rights in about 20 years. None of us should be boastful. With 7 teams now, that is far too long to go without one Canadian team succeeding.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:43 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
LOL, i will assume you are a Nuck's fan. I will answer your question with a question...would you rather see early playoff exits or 11 banners hanging from the rafters of BC place? Again, i get we are a bad team now, but if your team has NEVER reached the heights the Leafs have.....how can you poke jokes?
I don't see it as poking jokes...

If Toronto goes through a re-build, and Nonis has up to 5 more years, the chances of Toronto making the playoffs within the 5 years goes down sigificantly... After all, how many re-building teams make the playoffs each year (and if a playoff team, why re-build... why not tweak)? If the Leafs don't make the playoffs during a new 5 year re-building phase, it would be 15 years since the Leafs last made the playoffs... just in case it was passed over during Nonis' press conference... The potential to miss the playoffs for 15 years, I think, could be a motivation on what direction the Leafs ultimately take regarding Luongo interest, or what prepared to pay, regardless what Nonis says (or, feels at this point of time)... Was Nonis asked this question during his press conference? Were fans reminded of this during his "go with youth and draft pick" statement? Every time a Leaf fan or Nonis says going for a re-build, I think an appropriate counter-response is 15 years - birth to grade 10... If good with that, fine... But, should be considered in the equation for what you're good with, IMO... As is, it's been birth to grade 5... The Quebec Nordiques and Hartford Whalers have had as many playoff appearances as the Leafs have had the last 10 years... They have pretty good history as well...

Old
01-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Wizeman*

My question for our GM is pretty simple.

I was on board for getting Kadri and Colborne. Kadri and Ashton. Kadri and whatever. But at some point, you need the other team to agree. The leafs did not agree. You can whine and moan and complain all you want, and the leafs still arent going to do it.

So if the leafs are wrong, why hasnt ANY other team come up with some kind of acceptable value for the guy? Its been EIGHT months. Not 3 days.

EIGHT months. And yes there was a lock out but dont tell me the GMs were not having 'unofficial' conversations about llkely CBA terms and whatnot.

Of course they were. They had nothing else to do until a CBA was signed.

So in all these months, not one team has put up a decent offer for this 'ALL STAR' ????
That never happens. Not this long.

There can be only ONE solution to why there has been interest in Luongo but NO team has caved in and paid what Gillis wants.

It is Gillis wants TOO MUCH and over estimates the market.

So, my question to our GM is................WHAT exactly is going to change from now until the off season where EVER MORE UFA goalies will be avail ? Whats going to get us the good Luongo offer then that didnt happen in the last 8 months?

And how do you sandwich both your goalies into this 48 games schedule in the meantime?

Gillis has screwed this up in my opinion. Hes a great GM and I love the guy, but he has screwed this up.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Crows*

Tony Gallagher ( yes i know) just stated that there was a deal ready to be signed between Vancouver and Toronto at the draft. Gillis went to Lu and told him of the deal on the table and luongo told gillis that he wanted him to prod florida more because he preferred to play there.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:53 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post

I was on board for getting Kadri and Colborne. Kadri and Ashton. Kadri and whatever. But at some point, you need the other team to agree. The leafs did not agree. You can whine and moan and complain all you want, and the leafs still arent going to do it.

So if the leafs are wrong, why hasnt ANY other team come up with some kind of acceptable value for the guy? Its been EIGHT months. Not 3 days.

EIGHT months. And yes there was a lock out but dont tell me the GMs were not having 'unofficial' conversations about llkely CBA terms and whatnot.

So in all these months, not one team has put up a decent offer for this 'ALL STAR' ????

There can be only ONE solution to why there has been interest in Luongo but NO team has caved in and paid what Gillis wants.

So, my question to our GM is................WHAT exactly is going to change from now until the off season where EVER MORE UFA goalies will be avail ? Whats going to get us the good Luongo offer then that didnt happen in the last 8 months? And how do you sandwich both your goalies into this 48 games schedule in the meantime?

Gillis has screwed this up in my opinion. Hes a great GM and I love the guy, but he has screwed this up.
Ok, let's assume that we get no good offers for Luongo. Bozak and a second is the best offer out there. Would you rather have Bozak minus Luongo or just keep Luongo. IMO, a team with Luongo playing, say 22 games, is way better than a team with Bozak and some other back up goalie playing 15 games. In short, I think we have a better chance of winning if we pass on Bozak and hold onto Luongo, even if we have to give him away in the summer. Gillis should be doing what gives us the best team not just trading for the sake of trading.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:00 PM
jammyrft

Quote:

Amen

Old
01-18-2013, 05:02 PM
seanlinden

Quote:

So, my question to our GM is................WHAT exactly is going to change from now until the off season where EVER MORE UFA goalies will be avail ? Whats going to get us the good Luongo offer then that didnt happen in the last 8 months?

And how do you sandwich both your goalies into this 48 games schedule in the meantime?

Realistically, nothing. Gillis cannot reasonably expect to get a better deal in the offseason than he can right now (or a few days ago before the Leafs committed to youth).

What will happen, is the Canucks will have the insurance of having 2 excellent goaltenders including a proven #1, as opposed to a guy with ~70 games experience mostly in a backup role, and whatever fodder is available to back him up.

They'll accumulate an additional cap penalty for keeping him this year... but at this point, Gillis' opportunity to make a move before the season has passed.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:03 PM
rune74

Quote:

I still don't think you really are a canucks fan....anyways, I'm not "ok" with selling him for junk...it's not worth it. Only people on message boards panic and freak out unless moves are done right away.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:04 PM
RogerRoeper*

So The Leafs and the evil Toronto media are lying about Luongo's value.

What's the holdup? Why isn't Luongo traded?

Old
01-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:

Tradition of excellence?

I am sure the Kings are very sad that they finished 8th and couldn't get the President's Trophy.

Nobody cares about regular season finishes. The one Cup that matters, Vancouver has not been able to get despite their excellent team, full of great redundant players.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Diamonddog01

Furthermore - if our options are holding on to him (an amazing insurance policy if there ever was one), or trading him for castoffs - let's hold on to him.

Like many Vancouver fans my priorities are as follows 1) seeing the team do what is right for the Canucks and 2) seeing the team do what is right for Luongo.

If there are no takers this year, then trade him to Florida (where he wants to go) for cheap. No reason to trade him to Toronto for cheap at all.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:06 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
Tony Gallagher ( yes i know) just stated that there was a deal ready to be signed between Vancouver and Toronto at the draft. Gillis went to Lu and told him of the deal on the table and luongo told gillis that he wanted him to prod florida more because he preferred to play there.
Let's hope the Toronto media is full of it. Because all we're hearing is Florida's offer is terrible.

Lucky break for the Leafs. Now Burke is gone and they can go in full rebuild mode.

Old
jammyrft

Quote:

How is that relevant? The last time the leafs won the cup the Canucks didn't even exist! So the leafs have gone even LONGER then the Canucks without winning a cup!

Old
FAMOUSfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
So The Leafs and the evil Toronto media are lying about Luongo's value.

What's the holdup? Why isn't Luongo traded?
Luongo doesn't want to go to Toronto. Plan is to trade him to FLA at the deadline or in the offseason.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Tradition of excellence?

I am sure the Kings are very sad that they finished 8th and couldn't get the President's Trophy.

Nobody cares about regular season finishes. The one Cup that matters, Vancouver has not been able to get despite their excellent team, full of great redundant players.
The Canucks are competitive year in and out, and at least have the chance to win the cup each and every year. They made it to game 7 of the Stanley Cup, certainly disappointing that they didn't win it all but they came as close as possible. A lot goes into winning the cup, including luck, injuries and matchups. They have won more than any other team over the past two years. That is a tradition of excellence and dominance.

None of debating this changes the fact that Vancouver is not a charity, and we are not in the business of making garbage teams more competitive.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:09 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsie19 View Post
My favorite part of the Gillis interview
"Were not in the business of giving other teams our all-star players

Nice to reaffirm Gillis wasn't even close to making a deal that involved Bozak, Kadri

we need to trade him. We can hang onto Lu all season and then reevaluate in the summer.
1. Luongo an All-Star? LOL! Gillis is delusional.

2. You were NEVER getting Kadri!

3. You DO NEED to trade him! He is killing you cap with his $53M dollars!

4. He will be bought out! VAN fans are going to be very disappointed in the return he will yield.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:11 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
new thread

Closed Thread