HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Xbox One / PS4 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Xbox One / PS4 Discussion

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1769561...y_insider.html

Old
01-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
This is probably the 5th time that there's been 'rumored' specs for the next consoles..

Old
01-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Reclamation Project
I Not Much Like LA

vCash: 592
Kinect 2.0. It was teased at CES...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re1EatGRV0w

Old
01-18-2013, 01:53 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
The OP article is clearly Microsoft bias. No negatives about Microsoft, only Playstation. There are articles out there doing the complete opposite as well.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:19 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 355
These "rumor" articles contain more unfounded claims than Eklund's website.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
The OP article is clearly Microsoft bias. No negatives about Microsoft, only Playstation. There are articles out there doing the complete opposite as well.
No doubt, it read like a Fox News report on democrats. At least try to hide your bias a bit.

And all speculation to begin with.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Hey a Jussi thread loving on Microsoft consoles.

NOWAI!

Old
01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

The writer has NO idea what he is talking about.
Built for Ray Tracing? Does he even know what they **** ray tracing is?
Read a ****ing book on computer graphics and you'll quickly realize HOW STUPID it sounds to say something is built for ray tracing.

That's like saying I have a CPU MADE for doing arithmetic additions!
Or I have a GPU MADE for Anti-Aliasing!

Guess what? Current hardware does it! It's can be done on the current iteration of OpenGL and Direct X.

HELL I'd even bet it can be done on the previous version.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
The writer has NO idea what he is talking about.
Built for Ray Tracing? Does he even know what they **** ray tracing is?
Guess what? Current hardware does it! It's can be done on the current iteration of OpenGL and Direct X.

HELL I'd even bet it can be done on the previous version.
//threadedededed//////////////
///
//
//
/
/////

Old
01-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Source in OP is awful.

Here is a much better (and probably more accurate one):
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df...xt-gen-console

Old
01-18-2013, 04:14 PM
XX
... Waiting

Meanwhile, on the PC:

Old
01-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Meanwhile, on the PC:

If both HD twins run 8 core processors, there's a good chance pc ports will not be as good for the most part (due to lazy devs) until 8 core PCs become much more widespread.

In reality, consoles will be capable of slightly better than average current PC stuff due to the nature of a closed system, and exclusives will of course be the reason you buy the console, but games will be similar enough and PC will pull ahead visually next graphics card wave.

Where things get interesting is the consoles focusing on things current PCs don't do. Like the pretty sourced rumour of Sony having biometrics in their controller or Microsoft having Kinect 2.0...depending how that tech plays out will truly separate consoles from PC for now. Plus the PS4 using such low amounts of powerful ram for its OS makes me really happy for the gaming potential.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Zodiac

so ...pc gaming dead again?

Old
01-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Nah, PC gaming is too big of a niche to die, and some things (usually shooters) will always play better on PC.

The main PCs that will be dying are the ones that won't survive the minimum specs bump. As with every console generation, multiplatform games also on PC will be far more demanding on PCs then they currently are.

PC gaming has unique experiences and really good deals (like Steam), it'll be fine.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Hey i just saw it linked on a Finnish gaming sight, I didn't even look at it much.

Here's another one: http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/17/show...720-at-1-23tf/

Just as the thread title says, "RUMORED".

Specs could be published at GDC: http://www.videogamer.com/news/rumou..._in_march.html

Last edited by Jussi: 01-18-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old
01-18-2013, 05:14 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
If both HD twins run 8 core processors, there's a good chance pc ports will not be as good for the most part (due to lazy devs) until 8 core PCs become much more widespread.

In reality, consoles will be capable of slightly better than average current PC stuff due to the nature of a closed system, and exclusives will of course be the reason you buy the console, but games will be similar enough and PC will pull ahead visually next graphics card wave.

Where things get interesting is the consoles focusing on things current PCs don't do. Like the pretty sourced rumour of Sony having biometrics in their controller or Microsoft having Kinect 2.0...depending how that tech plays out will truly separate consoles from PC for now. Plus the PS4 using such low amounts of powerful ram for its OS makes me really happy for the gaming potential.
If any of that works properly...

Old
01-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Here is the link that sources the biometric Sony controller:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...station-report

The Eurogamer/ digital foundry articles are really good and relevant because they are well sourced and just came out today. May want to update your OP with more accurate information from them

I also saw a source earlier on my IMs that the Ps4 will be revealed in the coming weeks, before GDC and E3, will try to dig up that source as well.

Edit: found it
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...esign-for-ps4/

Double Edit: I think the tech within these new devices will work fine,that's usually never the problem. It's almost always convincing companies to make interesting games with tech not shared between platforms that is always difficult. Sure, some games totally suck (Lair) but I really liked the controller movement tech the PS3 launched with when it was used properly (Flower).

Triple edit: I really have issues with that VG247 article that implies 8gigs of ram is better than 4 when that 4 gigs is much faster ram. It really is not that clear cut and presenting it that way is bad journalism.

Last edited by Orpheus: 01-18-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old
01-18-2013, 05:27 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Here is the link that sources the biometric Sony controller:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...station-report

The Eurogamer/ digital foundry articles are really good and relevant because they are well sourced and just came out today. May want to update your OP with more accurate information from them

I also saw a source earlier on my IMs that the Ps4 will be revealed in the coming weeks, before GDC and E3, will try to dig up that source as well.

Edit: found it
http://www.computerandvideogames.com...esign-for-ps4/

Double Edit: I think the tech within these new devices will work fine,that's usually never the problem. It's almost always convincing companies to make interesting games with tech not shared between platforms that is always difficult. Sure, some games totally suck (Lair) but I really liked the controller movement tech the PS3 launched with when it was used properly (Flower).

Triple edit: I really have issues with that VG247 article that implies 8gigs of ram is better than 4 when that 4 gigs is much faster ram. It really is not that clear cut and presenting it that way is bad journalism.

Sounds like PS4 controllers will be similar to WiiU controls with something that can maybe work to sense a heartbeat.

Meh. I'll wait and see how this functions in games before any of it means anything.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Sounds like PS4 controllers will be similar to WiiU controls with something that can maybe work to sense a heartbeat.

Meh. I'll wait and see how this functions in games before any of it means anything.
Oh yea, most definitely. But as I believe the article states, PS3 controllers in all likelihood will still work due to Bluetooth, so I could care less what the new controller does unless its really innovative

Old
01-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Zodiac

i guess i shoulda put a after my previous comment.

just said that because any time a new console comes along, there always seems to be a group of people who think that pc gaming will die and that consoles will be the standard.

anyway ...it'll be very interesting to see the final configs of each console. i wonder what the price will be ??? $599 US dollars, once again?

here's a real time demo of Unreal Engine 4 running on a GTX 680 ...which will probably be an engine used quite a bit in various games next gen.
http://www.slashgear.com/epics-unrea...case-08232941/

Old
01-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Unreal 4 looks awful too. So did Samaritan.

Agni's Philosophy was much higher graphical fidelity, and that was running on a modern, not terribly expensive PC and that engine isn't even close to done.

Price is likely to be 399 for low end models and 499 for top end.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Zodiac

Quote:
Unreal 4 looks awful too. So did Samaritan.

Agni's Philosophy was much higher graphical fidelity, and that was running on a modern, not terribly expensive PC and that engine isn't even close to done.

Price is likely to be 399 for low end models and 499 for top end.
i thought both Samaritan and the UE4 demo looked pretty darn good, but after watching Agni's Philosophy ...hell ya, i agree with you.

looks pretty phenomenal ...and supposedly was running real time on a pc with these specs ...
Quote:
The tech demo was powered by current PC hardware, using a single nVidia GTX 680 graphics card with 16 GB RAM.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Agni%27s_Philosophy

please bring that s*** on ...i wanna see games like that.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
i thought both Samaritan and the UE4 demo looked pretty darn good, but after watching Agni's Philosophy ...hell ya, i agree with you.

looks pretty phenomenal ...and supposedly was running real time on a pc with these specs ...

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Agni%27s_Philosophy

please bring that s*** on ...i wanna see games like that.
Add in that they are using some parts of the Luminous engine in the remake of FF14 , and that engine (the one that ran Agni's) should not have all the problems SE had this gen with their proprietary engine. That and the fact that Agni is in real time and SE pretty much never makes graphically ugly games makes me really excited about that engine. I don't think launch PS4 or 720 games will look that good, but a few years in? Most definitely.

And it wasn't "supposedly" running in real time, SE proved it was by changing facial hair and clothes and colouring of characters during the live demo of it, can find that online.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

If the actual specs will anything close to the rumored, the real question is going to be how much will developing games cost and who has the money to do that?

Old
01-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Game development costs aren't a problem, bloated, inefficient, badly managed teams are the issue as well as the rocketing cost of marketing.

I mean, it's not like smaller devs like Cd Projekt Red are going broke making Witcher 2 for PC, which undoubtedly looks better than anything on consoles, and is only slightly below top notch next gen consoles.

The real problem really is marketing budgets, and marketing teams getting their fingers into game development.

Edit: One major factor I forgot to mention is unreal sales expectations (this is mainly what killed THQ). Properly managing your budget and aiming low for sales and making a good game within strict boundaries (Borderlands) can be an infinitely safer process than bloated budgets and expecting to sell a billion units just to break even (Kingdoms of Amalaur)

Closed Thread