HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DiPietro Discussion Thread Part II (Post 746 **Placed on Waivers**)

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Islanderfan17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
Ok,let me rephrase: from a hockey perspective, why wouldn't the isles buy out Dipietro?

you can't buy out a player who is injured. DP is miraculously not hurt right now. He will get hurt this year at some point and if its bad Isles can't buy him out. I know we need him for the cap floor this year but if we buy him out today he will still be on the cap for this year. I know Isles never spend to the cap but we might want to some time in the next 10 years so buy him out now and be done with it. Isles have a young team with a bright future and don't need the albatross contract prohibiting them from making moves in 2016.
. There's huge risk even if it was a player who is 100% healthy. A freak accident. Anything. And we pay him for 10 more years and against the cap that could cost us a top free agent in the future. This is a one time get out of jail free card. To make his contract disappear forever. Teams with money wouldn't think twice about it but Wang will never pay rick for the next 18 years for him not to play.

Lets look at it from a hockey perspective only, and tell me if there is any reason not to do this.

Or am I missing something?
Spot on, but unfortunately we're the Islanders

Old
01-15-2013, 05:39 PM
VL55

Quote:
Originally Posted by giddy up View Post
Ok,let me rephrase: from a hockey perspective, why wouldn't the isles buy out Dipietro?

you can't buy out a player who is injured. DP is miraculously not hurt right now. He will likely get hurt this year at some point and if its bad Isles can't buy him out. I know we need him for the cap floor this year but if we buy him out today he will still be on the cap for this year. I know Isles never spend to the cap but we might want to some time in the next 10 years so buy him out now and be done with it. Isles have a young team with a bright future and don't need the albatross contract prohibiting them from making moves in 2016.
There's huge risk even if it was a player who is 100% healthy. A freak accident. Anything. And we pay him for 10 more years and against the cap that could cost us a top free agent in the future. This is a one time get out of jail free card. To make his contract disappear forever. Teams with money wouldn't think twice about it but Wang will never pay rick for the next 18 years for him not to play.

Lets look at it from a hockey perspective only, and tell me if there is any reason not to do this.

Or am I missing something?
Without taking a potshot at Wang, how expensive would it be to buy out Di Pietro? Can he even afford to?

Beside this years 4,5M, he is owed 32M in the following 8 years. I figure it means it would cost an even 24M to buy him out.

By coincidence, Gomez is also owed 4,5M next year, but that's it, it's the last year.

Now, hockey wise, the Islanders should buy out dead weight for the same reason that the Habs should.

But financially speaking, you are asking a team that is worth 4 time less than the Habs to buy out a contract that is 8 time more expensive. Molson can buy out Gomez without batting an eye but even he would raise an eyebrow at 24M. So I have to question the feasibility of such a buy out for Wang.

That being said, paying 24M now to avoid paying 4,5M over 8 years is kinda like paying off a loan that is charging 11% in yearly interest rate. If Wang can refinance cheaper, it could be worth it on that ground alone.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:03 AM
islandermaniac

wow! i am absolutely stunned that the board has not blown up with discussion in regard to the nhl and nhlpa media release that buyouts can go ahead BEFORE the season rather than after it.

perhaps isles fans have given up hoping that wang will do the right thing? perhaps board rules prohibiting a separate thread for a dipietro buyout has stifled discussion? who knows?

one serious drawback in waiting to buy him out is the possibility (*cough* probablity) that he gets injured. when injured, as we all know, buyouts cannot occur. if the team really is serious about moving forward, it cannot with that contract attached to the franchise.

now, according to how i read the tsn.ca article, buyouts that happen now will count against the cap this season alone less $900,000. there would be no cap hit next season or the seasons after. also, the team would be left with only one buyout chance for next summer if they move forward on a rick buyout now.

i certainly would like to hear what more posters have to say on this issue, rather than what people think about his new "Jesus of nazareth" look. alas, these potential buyout posts are all going to be buried in a huge dipietro thread that could very easily be swallowed up by information on everything from rick's favourite colour to what he had for breakfast this morning.

anyway, consider my vote for getting rid of one of the most ridiculous contracts in nhl history. honestly, what the hell is wang waiting for? you want people to buy tickets to support the team or not, charles? how about a little good will and cut rick loose! keeping him would be yet ANOTHER slap in the face to the people who actually support this team. perhaps i should be used to his non-action by now, i suppose. afterall, i've been watching this team perform (most often a clown like performance) since near their inception. i guess it's possible that dictator wang has beaten us all into submission. is resistance to the dictator futile? if so, i don't care. i, for one, will never buy a ticket to watch the nyi play or buy a single piece of new york islander paraphernalia as long as rick dipietro is being paid in full. is it possible that the dictator would actually understand fan discontent if people didn't show up until he did pull the trigger on his dear rick?

thoughts everyone?

oh well, but here is the article nonetheless...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413602

Old
01-16-2013, 07:10 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL55 View Post
Molson can buy out Gomez without batting an eye but even he would raise an eyebrow at 24M. So I have to question the feasibility of such a buy out for Wang.
More importantly, there's a very real likelihood that Wang will only pay a fraction of the rest of the contract as it stands thanks to insurance.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Fantom

Wang takes a huge risk trying to play DP. He will get hurt and than it sounds like a buyout is not a option. However Can wang Even afford to buy out the rick. I have a feeling wang would have a hard time shelling out 24M. We are not a team who has alot of cash flow. As shown with our cap cheating payroll

Old
01-16-2013, 08:39 AM
IslandersFan

I'm apologize if it's already been mentioned, I haven't read the whole thread...

Don't the Isles still have Yashin's 2+ Mil per year against their cap for another couple of years and can his contract be included in the buyout, or have they already taken a bite of that apple with his first buyout?

Old
01-16-2013, 08:40 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
Wang takes a huge risk trying to play DP. He will get hurt and than it sounds like a buyout is not a option. However Can wang Even afford to buy out the rick. I have a feeling wang would have a hard time shelling out 24M. We are not a team who has alot of cash flow. As shown with our cap cheating payroll
Wang can pay the buyout. That's not the issue. Rather, it's why would he?

There is enough evidence that at some point DP will have to retire due to injury. Guess what? Insurance pays for the remainder of the deal, not Wang.

Folks, DP sticking around is a simple business decision. Why pay out of pocket when you can have insurance pay it?

Fans underestimate the TRUE cost of buying out DP. It's a LOT of money in cash plus on the Isles books. Neither of which a wise businessman would want to voluntarily pay out.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:24 AM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post

There is enough evidence that at some point DP will have to retire due to injury. Guess what? Insurance pays for the remainder of the deal, not Wang.

Folks, DP sticking around is a simple business decision. Why pay out of pocket when you can have insurance pay it?

Fans underestimate the TRUE cost of buying out DP. It's a LOT of money in cash plus on the Isles books. Neither of which a wise businessman would want to voluntarily pay out.
first off, i just want to say that i don't want you to read any nasty tone into my post...here goes:

you asked why would wang buy out dipietro. i will ask you, why would dipietro retire? he will never retire due to injuries. instead, he will get injured, rehab for a year, come back and play 1 game, get injured, rehab for a year, come back and play 1 game, get injured...you get the idea.

i think your theory is flawed because of your assumption that dipietro will ride off into the sunset. he has no reason to do this. i'll ask anyone this question: if your job was to go to the gym to workout and rehabilitate an injury, would you take that job for $4.5M per year for the next 8 years? hell, people do that due to real work place injuries and they don't get paid a dime! i'm pretty sure the rickmeister can handle working out for 8 years to collect his remaining $33M. that's not a bad gig! why give that up?

so why would wang buy out the rick? to make the team better. let's see if he puts his money where his mouth is when it comes to icing a competitive team. if he doesn't do it, there is only one thing fans can do to demand a better product and that is to refuse to go to the games. i guess we'll see what happens but the moment to do this is now, before dipietro gets hurt...again.

Old
01-16-2013, 11:14 AM
VL55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
More importantly, there's a very real likelihood that Wang will only pay a fraction of the rest of the contract as it stands thanks to insurance.
Fair enough, but I have my doubts. Any solid info on the Dipietro's insurance are available? I'm curious.

One thing I know is that Insurance companies hate paying a penny more than they have to and I await to be convinced they'd accept paying anything at all on a buy out.

Think about it, he's not injured right now, is he? The insurance company are not paying a penny right now. Why would insurance pay anything on the buyout of a player who is currently uninjured (and he has to be uninjured to be bought out)? At the very least, they'd require a medical opinion proving that he is permanently crippled and can't play at all in the next 8 years. Otherwise, forget it. No matter the abysmal injury track records of Dipietro, odds are the insurance company will end up paying a lot less if his contracts plays out until the end.

So, I hear your opinion that insurance will pay a large part of the 24M buy out. But until proven otherwise, I believe you are wrong. And if I am wrong, then I am asking my insurance broker to find out who is insuring DP's contract and to take all of my insurance with those guys!

Old
01-16-2013, 11:24 AM
lorwood

First let me say I know NOTHING about how insurance policies against a players injury are written, so I may be way off base.

With that said;

Common sense tells me that insurance companies insuring anything are not that dumb.

I have a hard time believing that any insurance company would continue to insure the DP contract at this point.

It seems that the likelihood of having to pay this policy is just to great for any underwriter.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan View Post
I'm apologize if it's already been mentioned, I haven't read the whole thread...

Don't the Isles still have Yashin's 2+ Mil per year against their cap for another couple of years and can his contract be included in the buyout, or have they already taken a bite of that apple with his first buyout?

No, I believe is it only new buyouts.

01-18-2013, 04:08 PM
StrongIslanders90

Dipietro's Hair ?

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8468481

What does he think it will give him power like Samson?

He looks like Captain Jack Sparrow

Old
01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
CShuckWangGoAway*

He is trying to take attention away from the fact he weighs 135 pounds.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:17 PM
KyleBailey12

I might be in the minority, but I like it.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Moosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Odds of DP getting the start for the home opener Saturday? If so whats the crowd reaction?

I think he will and I think there will definitely be some boo's which I noticed he started getting more and more last season.

Might as well get it over with

Old
01-18-2013, 07:11 PM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CShuckWangGoAway View Post
He is trying to take attention away from the fact he weighs 135 pounds.
THIS! I am afraid the puck is going to bruise him through his pads.

And to those thinking he may start Saturday... Are you nuts!?

Old
01-18-2013, 07:26 PM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8468481

What does he think it will give him power like Samson?

He looks like Captain Jack Sparrow
You think that's bad?

Old
01-18-2013, 07:54 PM
IslandersFan17

As much of a minority as I am here on this, I will still love DiPietro regardless. I will always hold onto Ricky having the most saves in franchise history as well as most mins in a single season (tied with Billy Smith) without nearly the team Billy had in front of him.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:07 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post

This +10000...buyout not gonna happen

Old
01-18-2013, 08:11 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
first off, i just want to say that i don't want you to read any nasty tone into my post...here goes:

you asked why would wang buy out dipietro. i will ask you, why would dipietro retire? he will never retire due to injuries. instead, he will get injured, rehab for a year, come back and play 1 game, get injured, rehab for a year, come back and play 1 game, get injured...you get the idea.

i think your theory is flawed because of your assumption that dipietro will ride off into the sunset. he has no reason to do this. i'll ask anyone this question: if your job was to go to the gym to workout and rehabilitate an injury, would you take that job for $4.5M per year for the next 8 years? hell, people do that due to real work place injuries and they don't get paid a dime! i'm pretty sure the rickmeister can handle working out for 8 years to collect his remaining $33M. that's not a bad gig! why give that up?

so why would wang buy out the rick? to make the team better. let's see if he puts his money where his mouth is when it comes to icing a competitive team. if he doesn't do it, there is only one thing fans can do to demand a better product and that is to refuse to go to the games. i guess we'll see what happens but the moment to do this is now, before dipietro gets hurt...again.
Not this +1,000,000
difference between logical thinking and illogical thinking. If players didn't retire from injuries Shawn Bates would still be playing. DP will retire if he can't stay healthy and I'm sure there has been closed door conversation discussing his future going forward with both him and Wang. People laugh about them going to concerts together and crap like that but in all honesty that kind of candidness goes miles behind closed doors. There is a plan, we don't know what it is, but it's Wang's money, his decision, and him being on our roster is doing nothing to negatively impact the team unless you are one of those Freudians out there saying that it's make the other players blue. It's not like we are worried about maxing on the cap. At this point in time it's best to look at DP like a dusty old faberge egg. It's possible that it may get cleaned off sometime and pay off, but it's also quite possible it will never be touched again.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Hipietro

He looks like he lost a crazy amount of weight.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Can't believe it was even a question.. Wait yes I can.. Well either way Arthur Staple tweeted this earlier:

Quote:
No word from #Isles on who's in goal tomorrow, but feeling is Nabokov gets the nod. His job to lose at start of season.
https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/sta...42409965588480

Old
01-19-2013, 01:32 AM
lost35*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
As much of a minority as I am here on this, I will still love DiPietro regardless. I will always hold onto Ricky having the most saves in franchise history as well as most mins in a single season (tied with Billy Smith) without nearly the team Billy had in front of him.
I cant say I am in "love" with him, but for "nostalgic" reasons I am a fan of him and I will always root for him and I hope I see him in some games

Old
01-19-2013, 02:44 AM
Bert Marshall days

DP will be GM

Old
01-19-2013, 08:26 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

So if you are Cappy, and the owner is forcing you to play Ricky, which games do you insert him in? Or in other words, how many games in a row do you let Nabby start before worrying about burning him out? Is there one team in particular that might make the best opponent for DP?

Closed Thread