HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Off-topic Thread XLIX-Am I Dreaming Again

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2013, 05:00 PM
  #76
bostonphoenix
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Past 30 minutes on the NHL channel there has been 2 Jdate commercials. Since I don't regularly see JDate commercials I'm curious. Are people who follow hockey more likely to be Jewish?

bostonphoenix is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 05:01 PM
  #77
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee
 
eightspokedb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: cave of caerbannog
Posts: 4,074
vCash: 50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-qG6o5N7oQ

Are you tough enough for my love?

eightspokedb is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 05:12 PM
  #78
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Kate08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Medford MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,953
vCash: 500
Today was ridiculous. I will now crush margaritas to my face.

Kate08 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 05:19 PM
  #79
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey
 
Kovi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,277
vCash: 500
.....__


Last edited by Kovi: 01-18-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Kovi is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 05:24 PM
  #80
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,442
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
Today was ridiculous. I will now crush margaritas to my face.
I so badly want to party with you. You are awesome.

__________________
Terry Tomasi / Backin72

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:07 PM
  #81
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 34,121
vCash: 50
Awards:
So. I had the strangest day in my 19 year career at my current company. I was called into my bosses office and asked/ told that they were creating a new position for me. The group I currently direct and established 19 years ago no longer really needs me and time for a new challenge.

There are 3 other departments they want to combine into one organization. Supply Chain Operations.
Because of my track record they want me to do it. Bring leadership, knock down silos, and instill fiscal and regulatory compliance. Only thing is I have no, none, nada technical expertise in the related disciplines. Where I was the company subject matter expert in aseptic operations and packaging now I'm the least knowledgable but in charge. I asked him if he'd lost his mind. Don't worry, it'll be fine says my boss. We wouldn't do this if you couldn't do it.

I guess I should be excited and maybe even thankful in this day and age to have a job.. It's just weird to be starting a new career , even internally, at 55 and not knowing diddley.

Mind is officially blown.

It will be announced next week and we'll see I guess.
Don't know in the next few weeks how much I'll be around here. Have lots and lots to learn.

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:13 PM
  #82
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,442
vCash: 50
Good luck, Wally. That's going to be a significant challenge. But a good leader will surround himself with the experts he needs to round out the organization. I bet that's why you are the man for the job.

doubleminor138 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:15 PM
  #83
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 34,121
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
Good luck, Wally. That's going to be a significant challenge. But a good leader will surround himself with the experts he needs to round out the organization. I bet that's why you are the man for the job.
Yeah. My boss pretty much said the experts are in place in Manager and Supervisor roles. That they just can't seem to operate as one group without a synergy. My job , at least short term, will be to influence that silo issue.

I'm just used to knowing the work too. Very different for a dude my age I guess.


Last edited by Gee Wally: 01-18-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Gee Wally is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:19 PM
  #84
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
Yeah. My boss pretty much said the experts are in place in Manager and Supervisor roles. That they just can't seem to operate as one group with a synergy. My job , at least short term, will be to influence that silo issue.

I'm just used to knowing the work too. Very different for a dude my age I guess.
The secret to leadership, they say, is having the right people under you. I'm sure you'll do fine. Congrats and good luck.

Artemis is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:52 PM
  #85
chuckdobbins
Moderator
 
chuckdobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24,461
vCash: 50
Wally it sounds like you have certain skills that can't be easily taught these days, team and project management. Not many companies have time to wait for guys to figure out how to do those things, so in comes you, the ultimate SME.

chuckdobbins is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 07:05 PM
  #86
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 34,121
vCash: 50
Awards:
I think I just need to get my head around it all. Being a very strict creature of habit and a wee bit of liking to be in control, the way this went down was completely out of my control and something I hadn't been seeking. I think it just was shock and awe at 3:30. Probably why they let me in on it on a Friday afternoon. Corp. 101 play book.
I just gotta process it all.

Then meet my new team. 40 people in 3 different sites here in Mass.
First order of business after I move to Framingham office will be to get them all under one roof. Nothing helps breaking down walls than putting folks in the same building.

I just need to think, calm down, and drink a good bottle of wine or 2.

Gee Wally is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 07:05 PM
  #87
sooshii
Living the dream
 
sooshii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philly burbs
Country: United States
Posts: 10,270
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
Good luck, Wally. That's going to be a significant challenge. But a good leader will surround himself with the experts he needs to round out the organization. I bet that's why you are the man for the job.
Yup. Good luck with the new challenge, Wally.

sooshii is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 07:27 PM
  #88
eightspokedb
pickee chickadee
 
eightspokedb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: cave of caerbannog
Posts: 4,074
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post

I just need to think, calm down, and drink a good bottle of wine or 2.
Good things happen to good people for a reason - your company knows they have an ace in their hand and you are the shizzle.

When you come up against a problem - just think 'what would Gee Wally do?"

eightspokedb is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 07:29 PM
  #89
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 15,978
vCash: 500
Today was awesome. I will now crush margaritas to my face

BrainOfJ is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 07:46 PM
  #90
Alicat
Charge!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BOSTON
Country: United States
Posts: 20,818
vCash: 500
Congrats Wally!

__________________
"I choose to focus on the things I CAN do and am passionate about." - Sam Berns

I am Boston Strong
6.15.11
4.15.13

Alicat is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 08:19 PM
  #91
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»
 
deliciouspie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: sf, austin, here
Country: United States
Posts: 2,778
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
oh hello torn labrum nice to feel you again

deliciouspie is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 08:30 PM
  #92
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky
 
Ference the Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Just North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 7,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
I so badly want to party with you. You are awesome.
First thing that popped into my head when I read this:
Quote:
When you stole that cow, and your friend tried to make it with the cow. I want to party with you, cowboy.
Couldn't find the YT of it...

Ference the Finger is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 08:32 PM
  #93
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky
 
Ference the Finger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Just North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 7,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally View Post
So. I had the strangest day in my 19 year career at my current company. I was called into my bosses office and asked/ told that they were creating a new position for me. The group I currently direct and established 19 years ago no longer really needs me and time for a new challenge.

There are 3 other departments they want to combine into one organization. Supply Chain Operations.
Because of my track record they want me to do it. Bring leadership, knock down silos, and instill fiscal and regulatory compliance. Only thing is I have no, none, nada technical expertise in the related disciplines. Where I was the company subject matter expert in aseptic operations and packaging now I'm the least knowledgable but in charge. I asked him if he'd lost his mind. Don't worry, it'll be fine says my boss. We wouldn't do this if you couldn't do it.

I guess I should be excited and maybe even thankful in this day and age to have a job.. It's just weird to be starting a new career , even internally, at 55 and not knowing diddley.

Mind is officially blown.

It will be announced next week and we'll see I guess.
Don't know in the next few weeks how much I'll be around here. Have lots and lots to learn.

Congrats Wally, and good luck. I'm sure you'll be great at this.

Ference the Finger is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 08:46 PM
  #94
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey
 
Kovi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,277
vCash: 500
I'm blue

Kovi is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 08:55 PM
  #95
Alicat
Charge!
 
Alicat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BOSTON
Country: United States
Posts: 20,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
I'm blue
Da ba dee

Cheer up buttercup.

Alicat is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 09:03 PM
  #96
MattFromFranklin
Registered User
 
MattFromFranklin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Franklin, MA
Posts: 910
vCash: 500
What's going on? Seriously. I get the feeling that this is going to turn into a movie someday. http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/...ers-seriuosly/

MattFromFranklin is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 09:16 PM
  #97
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey
 
Kovi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Da ba dee

Cheer up buttercup.

that made me laugh. quite honestly because I dont know wtf it means...and its just . so. cute

and im eating soup. sometimes i forget to eat and get busy.....

<<<<<<<<<is bad at taking care of herself.

Kovi is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 09:16 PM
  #98
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey
 
Kovi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
What's going on? Seriously. I get the feeling that this is going to turn into a movie someday. http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/...ers-seriuosly/


that whole thing is just a shameful mess

Kovi is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 09:24 PM
  #99
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,442
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ference the Finger View Post
First thing that popped into my head when I read this:


Couldn't find the YT of it...
Yes! Stripes! Haha.

doubleminor138 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 09:25 PM
  #100
Kovi
Kafka and Hockey
 
Kovi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 21,277
vCash: 500
my "z" din't work again......grrrr

Kovi is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.