HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Flyerfan4life

vCash: 500
hahaa..

i knew that leighton thread would get locked within hours..

Old
01-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Krishna

Anton Khubodin is apparently going back to russia after this year

Let's steal him from Boston

Old
01-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
all because of money? it's pathetic, he's a starter for god sakes, he's not a backup goalie, he had good numbers in his career that's why they picked him up, if they get rid of him, the goalie caursel will start again with waver wire goalies and backups, unless they have a plan to get a good starter goalie, not waver wire/backup position goalies that's the only way they'll get rid of him, plus they gave up so much to get him and you are getting rid of him for nothing.

snider is behind him, he wont get rid of him no matter who bad of a season he has because of a lously team, deal with it.
That about sums it up. The commitment's been made. And people who talk flippantly about "saving the money to get a better goalie" have somehow (how I don't know) forgotten how hard it is to find one of those. It's not like the team hadn't been trying constantly.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
slightly OT, Beef I gotta say that pic you closed the Leighton thread with creeped me the **** out. Dont know why but it did haha

Old
01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
slightly OT, Beef I gotta say that pic you closed the Leighton thread with creeped me the **** out. Dont know why but it did haha
CF88 closed it down...I was just giving him advice.

01-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Leighton is a BUM!
well, i guess you can be the 1st to use this, then. my gift to you.

at least this is no longer just the 'I hate Bryz' thread

Old
01-18-2013, 02:34 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
CF88 closed it down...I was just giving him advice.

ok well still. creepy pic LOL

Old
01-18-2013, 03:35 PM
spudnick

Quote:
all because of money? it's pathetic, he's a starter for god sakes, he's not a backup goalie, he had good numbers in his career that's why they picked him up, if they get rid of him, the goalie caursel will start again with waver wire goalies and backups, unless they have a plan to get a good starter goalie, not waver wire/backup position goalies that's the only way they'll get rid of him, plus they gave up so much to get him and you are getting rid of him for nothing.

snider is behind him, he wont get rid of him no matter who bad of a season he has because of a lously team, deal with it.
If Bryz has a season like he did last season and plays like he did in the KHL they will get rid of him, that you can be sure of. The Flyers have a free pass with his contract and will take it if he falters. What was Snider supposed to say "This will be a test season for him, if we dont like it we will buy him out". Not likely. I totally expect Bryz to be as inconsistant as ever, he has never given as a reason to think he will be consistent.

Also they signed Bryz as a UFA, they gave up absolutely nothing to get him except for 9 years of suckitude with 5.6 million dollars of your money for mediocrity. They were getting rid of Carter and Richards with or without the signing of Bryz.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:38 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
If Bryz has a season like he did last season and plays like he did in the KHL they will get rid of him, that you can be sure of. The Flyers have a free pass with his contract and will take it if he falters. What was Snider supposed to say "This will be a test season for him, if we dont like it we will buy him out". Not likely. I totally expect Bryz to be as inconsistant as ever, he has never given as a reason to think he will be consistent.

Also they signed Bryz as a UFA, they gave up absolutely nothing to get him except for 9 years of suckitude with 5.6 million dollars of your money for mediocrity. They were getting rid of Carter and Richards with or without the signing of Bryz.
One has to wonder if Snider was one of the owners saying they wanted buyout options b/c they made some "mistakes." I remember some of the players getting mad about it but don't remember if it was substantiated or not..

Old
01-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

As much fun as that tangent was, let's get this thing back on topic now.

So...we have goalies.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:18 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak invictus View Post
as much fun as that tangent was, let's get this thing back on topic now.

So...we have goalies.
leighton is an nhl caliber goalie

Old
01-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
leighton is an nhl caliber goalie
Well, I did say "same time next week."

Old
01-18-2013, 04:49 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
As much fun as that tangent was, let's get this thing back on topic now.

So...we have goalies.

we have goalies? news to me

Old
01-18-2013, 05:50 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

The thing that pisses me off about the flyers, not the signing of bryz. trying to make something happen. its that we got nothing in the pipeline. and don't tell me hoivenin. I mean a guy like schneider, even quick, bernier, elliot. all guys selected and grown in systems. last guy i remember doin that with was boucher. i remember hearing bout him before he came up. but we should have a bunch a names we keep hearing and we don't. cal heater sucks and will not make the flyers. we need to learn from our mistakes considering our biggest problem is and has been for over 30 years goaltending.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Bob is the first young goalie on the Flyers I've really taken seriously since Boucher. We hauled him out because we sorta borked his development.

I feel bad for the hordes of people who bought Houle jerseys.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
The thing that pisses me off about the flyers, not the signing of bryz. trying to make something happen. its that we got nothing in the pipeline. and don't tell me hoivenin. I mean a guy like schneider, even quick, bernier, elliot. all guys selected and grown in systems. last guy i remember doin that with was boucher. i remember hearing bout him before he came up. but we should have a bunch a names we keep hearing and we don't. cal heater sucks and will not make the flyers. we need to learn from our mistakes considering our biggest problem is and has been for over 30 years goaltending.
Well, there's Stolarz now and people say Heeter has been playing better lately. Plus, he has a respectable save percentage in the AHL. I don't know what his projections are, but why would he not be able to get to an NHL backup level?

Old
01-18-2013, 06:13 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Chris suggested in the prospect thread that we start a petition to sign Sunshine (jokingly of course) because of this exact reason. In all seriousness he's probably a top 3 goalie in SEL as a 22yo and is currently a FA so i think it would be a really smart move. Hovinen on the other hand is going back to Finland and people have suggested it's because management hasn't been happy with his play and work ethic in the ECHL. "Stollie the goalie" is the only one signed that has the potential to be an NHL caliber starter imo and that needs to change cause goalies are often hit or miss.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:17 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:

alright then, well what goalie would satisfy you? because there's no one out there and im sure homer doesnt want to dismantle youth because fans are crying over goalies.

brodueur had bad games/seasons and the devils didnt quit on him, because they had confidence in him that he will bounce back and they got cup rings.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
If Bryz has a season like he did last season ....
and if Bryz plays much of the season like he did March last year, they'll be fine.

i will root for him & i remain optimistic.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:38 PM
spudnick

Quote:
alright then, well what goalie would satisfy you? because there's no one out there and im sure homer doesnt want to dismantle youth because fans are crying over goalies.

brodueur had bad games/seasons and the devils didnt quit on him, because they had confidence in him that he will bounce back and they got cup rings.
Tell me your not comparing Illya Bryzgalov to Martin Brodeur?

Honestly I don't know of any goalie who is out there that is elite without giving up some youth. Goaltending is the most important piece of the team IMHO and you have to give up if you want to solidify that position because they are at a premium. As I have stated, Bryz gets paid top dollar, 6th highest cap hit in the league for inconsistent downright awful play for a vast majority of the time. 8 more years is unexceptable. Honestly I would rather just about any goalie because of his contract. If he was getting 5.6 for 1/2 years then fine because I know there is a light at the end if the tunnel, but 8 more years of mediocrity is not fine. Having Bryz I basically eating up Giroux's prime because Bryz is not going to get us the cup.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:41 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Well, there's Stolarz now and people say Heeter has been playing better lately. Plus, he has a respectable save percentage in the AHL. I don't know what his projections are, but why would he not be able to get to an NHL backup level?
we don't draft for our players to achieve backup status. that's just something that happens. as far as Bobrovsky, he was signed not grown and we did F up his development. this system is not conducive with goalie development at this time. we still need to pinpoint and draft better tho.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
we don't draft for our players to achieve backup status. that's just something that happens. as far as Bobrovsky, he was signed not grown and we did F up his development. this system is not conducive with goalie development at this time. we still need to pinpoint and draft better tho.
I don't think the system was to blame. I think signing Leighton to be the starter instead of someone more established did that. It meant Bob ended up getting the call instead of getting a lot more time to adjust to NA in the AHL before moving up. He was tossed into the fire.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:51 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Tell me your not comparing Illya Bryzgalov to Martin Brodeur?

Honestly I don't know of any goalie who is out there that is elite without giving up some youth. Goaltending is the most important piece of the team IMHO and you have to give up if you want to solidify that position because they are at a premium. As I have stated, Bryz gets paid top dollar, 6th highest cap hit in the league for inconsistent downright awful play for a vast majority of the time. 8 more years is unexceptable. Honestly I would rather just about any goalie because of his contract. If he was getting 5.6 for 1/2 years then fine because I know there is a light at the end if the tunnel, but 8 more years of mediocrity is not fine. Having Bryz I basically eating up Giroux's prime because Bryz is not going to get us the cup.
what are you going to do if they dont get rid of him? it's team game, if you are so high on goalies then why root for this team then, if you dont like bryz, then why are you rooting for the flyers? deal with it or dont root for the flyers.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:11 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
I don't think the system was to blame. I think signing Leighton to be the starter instead of someone more established did that. It meant Bob ended up getting the call instead of getting a lot more time to adjust to NA in the AHL before moving up. He was tossed into the fire.
i agree. but you have to admit having an offense first system is a hotter fire to be thrown into. and signing leighton was almost a pity F. we could have saved everybody the embarrassment and just cut him a side check if thats what snider wanted to do for his play in the 2010 playoffs. I personally would've burned the check after the finals but that's my point. we need to not be so grateful to goalies who perform at an NHL level. we need to start drafting and looking for diamonds in that rough.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:49 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
and if Bryz plays much of the season like he did March last year, they'll be fine.

i will root for him & i remain optimistic.
Flyers already stated that Bryz would play 35+ of the 48 games and Leighton to cover the rest. Wish you people wouldn't be so hard on Leighton, I know he let in a stinger to lose the cup but without Leighton that year the Flyers wouldn't have been there to begin with. He did shutout Montreal in the playoffs.
By the way, the Flyers do have Boucher back as a possible 3rd string goalie, he will be with the Phantoms.

Closed Thread