HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2013, 01:30 PM
  #251
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 13,302
vCash: 500
hahaa..

i knew that leighton thread would get locked within hours..

Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 01:34 PM
  #252
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,156
vCash: 500
Anton Khubodin is apparently going back to russia after this year

Let's steal him from Boston

Krishna is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:00 PM
  #253
Qyburn
Registered User
 
Qyburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
all because of money? it's pathetic, he's a starter for god sakes, he's not a backup goalie, he had good numbers in his career that's why they picked him up, if they get rid of him, the goalie caursel will start again with waver wire goalies and backups, unless they have a plan to get a good starter goalie, not waver wire/backup position goalies that's the only way they'll get rid of him, plus they gave up so much to get him and you are getting rid of him for nothing.

snider is behind him, he wont get rid of him no matter who bad of a season he has because of a lously team, deal with it.
That about sums it up. The commitment's been made. And people who talk flippantly about "saving the money to get a better goalie" have somehow (how I don't know) forgotten how hard it is to find one of those. It's not like the team hadn't been trying constantly.

Qyburn is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:01 PM
  #254
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,560
vCash: 50
slightly OT, Beef I gotta say that pic you closed the Leighton thread with creeped me the **** out. Dont know why but it did haha

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:10 PM
  #255
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
slightly OT, Beef I gotta say that pic you closed the Leighton thread with creeped me the **** out. Dont know why but it did haha
CF88 closed it down...I was just giving him advice.


__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:29 PM
  #256
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Leighton is a BUM!
well, i guess you can be the 1st to use this, then. my gift to you.



at least this is no longer just the 'I hate Bryz' thread

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:34 PM
  #257
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,560
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
CF88 closed it down...I was just giving him advice.

ok well still. creepy pic LOL

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 03:35 PM
  #258
spudnick
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
all because of money? it's pathetic, he's a starter for god sakes, he's not a backup goalie, he had good numbers in his career that's why they picked him up, if they get rid of him, the goalie caursel will start again with waver wire goalies and backups, unless they have a plan to get a good starter goalie, not waver wire/backup position goalies that's the only way they'll get rid of him, plus they gave up so much to get him and you are getting rid of him for nothing.

snider is behind him, he wont get rid of him no matter who bad of a season he has because of a lously team, deal with it.
If Bryz has a season like he did last season and plays like he did in the KHL they will get rid of him, that you can be sure of. The Flyers have a free pass with his contract and will take it if he falters. What was Snider supposed to say "This will be a test season for him, if we dont like it we will buy him out". Not likely. I totally expect Bryz to be as inconsistant as ever, he has never given as a reason to think he will be consistent.

Also they signed Bryz as a UFA, they gave up absolutely nothing to get him except for 9 years of suckitude with 5.6 million dollars of your money for mediocrity. They were getting rid of Carter and Richards with or without the signing of Bryz.

spudnick is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 03:38 PM
  #259
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
If Bryz has a season like he did last season and plays like he did in the KHL they will get rid of him, that you can be sure of. The Flyers have a free pass with his contract and will take it if he falters. What was Snider supposed to say "This will be a test season for him, if we dont like it we will buy him out". Not likely. I totally expect Bryz to be as inconsistant as ever, he has never given as a reason to think he will be consistent.

Also they signed Bryz as a UFA, they gave up absolutely nothing to get him except for 9 years of suckitude with 5.6 million dollars of your money for mediocrity. They were getting rid of Carter and Richards with or without the signing of Bryz.
One has to wonder if Snider was one of the owners saying they wanted buyout options b/c they made some "mistakes." I remember some of the players getting mad about it but don't remember if it was substantiated or not..

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 04:13 PM
  #260
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,127
vCash: 500
As much fun as that tangent was, let's get this thing back on topic now.


So...we have goalies.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 04:18 PM
  #261
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,977
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak invictus View Post
as much fun as that tangent was, let's get this thing back on topic now.


So...we have goalies.
leighton is an nhl caliber goalie

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 04:29 PM
  #262
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
leighton is an nhl caliber goalie
Well, I did say "same time next week."


Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 04:49 PM
  #263
flyersguy33*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
As much fun as that tangent was, let's get this thing back on topic now.


So...we have goalies.

we have goalies? news to me

flyersguy33* is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 05:50 PM
  #264
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
The thing that pisses me off about the flyers, not the signing of bryz. trying to make something happen. its that we got nothing in the pipeline. and don't tell me hoivenin. I mean a guy like schneider, even quick, bernier, elliot. all guys selected and grown in systems. last guy i remember doin that with was boucher. i remember hearing bout him before he came up. but we should have a bunch a names we keep hearing and we don't. cal heater sucks and will not make the flyers. we need to learn from our mistakes considering our biggest problem is and has been for over 30 years goaltending.

funghoul is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 05:52 PM
  #265
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,127
vCash: 500
Bob is the first young goalie on the Flyers I've really taken seriously since Boucher. We hauled him out because we sorta borked his development.

I feel bad for the hordes of people who bought Houle jerseys.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:00 PM
  #266
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
The thing that pisses me off about the flyers, not the signing of bryz. trying to make something happen. its that we got nothing in the pipeline. and don't tell me hoivenin. I mean a guy like schneider, even quick, bernier, elliot. all guys selected and grown in systems. last guy i remember doin that with was boucher. i remember hearing bout him before he came up. but we should have a bunch a names we keep hearing and we don't. cal heater sucks and will not make the flyers. we need to learn from our mistakes considering our biggest problem is and has been for over 30 years goaltending.
Well, there's Stolarz now and people say Heeter has been playing better lately. Plus, he has a respectable save percentage in the AHL. I don't know what his projections are, but why would he not be able to get to an NHL backup level?

Ryker is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:13 PM
  #267
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
The thing that pisses me off about the flyers, not the signing of bryz. trying to make something happen. its that we got nothing in the pipeline. and don't tell me hoivenin. I mean a guy like schneider, even quick, bernier, elliot. all guys selected and grown in systems. last guy i remember doin that with was boucher. i remember hearing bout him before he came up. but we should have a bunch a names we keep hearing and we don't. cal heater sucks and will not make the flyers. we need to learn from our mistakes considering our biggest problem is and has been for over 30 years goaltending.
Chris suggested in the prospect thread that we start a petition to sign Sunshine (jokingly of course) because of this exact reason. In all seriousness he's probably a top 3 goalie in SEL as a 22yo and is currently a FA so i think it would be a really smart move. Hovinen on the other hand is going back to Finland and people have suggested it's because management hasn't been happy with his play and work ethic in the ECHL. "Stollie the goalie" is the only one signed that has the potential to be an NHL caliber starter imo and that needs to change cause goalies are often hit or miss.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:17 PM
  #268
toughfighter83*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
If Bryz has a season like he did last season and plays like he did in the KHL they will get rid of him, that you can be sure of. The Flyers have a free pass with his contract and will take it if he falters. What was Snider supposed to say "This will be a test season for him, if we dont like it we will buy him out". Not likely. I totally expect Bryz to be as inconsistant as ever, he has never given as a reason to think he will be consistent.

Also they signed Bryz as a UFA, they gave up absolutely nothing to get him except for 9 years of suckitude with 5.6 million dollars of your money for mediocrity. They were getting rid of Carter and Richards with or without the signing of Bryz.

alright then, well what goalie would satisfy you? because there's no one out there and im sure homer doesnt want to dismantle youth because fans are crying over goalies.

brodueur had bad games/seasons and the devils didnt quit on him, because they had confidence in him that he will bounce back and they got cup rings.

toughfighter83* is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:34 PM
  #269
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
If Bryz has a season like he did last season ....
and if Bryz plays much of the season like he did March last year, they'll be fine.

i will root for him & i remain optimistic.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:38 PM
  #270
spudnick
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
alright then, well what goalie would satisfy you? because there's no one out there and im sure homer doesnt want to dismantle youth because fans are crying over goalies.

brodueur had bad games/seasons and the devils didnt quit on him, because they had confidence in him that he will bounce back and they got cup rings.
Tell me your not comparing Illya Bryzgalov to Martin Brodeur?

Honestly I don't know of any goalie who is out there that is elite without giving up some youth. Goaltending is the most important piece of the team IMHO and you have to give up if you want to solidify that position because they are at a premium. As I have stated, Bryz gets paid top dollar, 6th highest cap hit in the league for inconsistent downright awful play for a vast majority of the time. 8 more years is unexceptable. Honestly I would rather just about any goalie because of his contract. If he was getting 5.6 for 1/2 years then fine because I know there is a light at the end if the tunnel, but 8 more years of mediocrity is not fine. Having Bryz I basically eating up Giroux's prime because Bryz is not going to get us the cup.

spudnick is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:41 PM
  #271
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Well, there's Stolarz now and people say Heeter has been playing better lately. Plus, he has a respectable save percentage in the AHL. I don't know what his projections are, but why would he not be able to get to an NHL backup level?
we don't draft for our players to achieve backup status. that's just something that happens. as far as Bobrovsky, he was signed not grown and we did F up his development. this system is not conducive with goalie development at this time. we still need to pinpoint and draft better tho.

funghoul is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:51 PM
  #272
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 42,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
we don't draft for our players to achieve backup status. that's just something that happens. as far as Bobrovsky, he was signed not grown and we did F up his development. this system is not conducive with goalie development at this time. we still need to pinpoint and draft better tho.
I don't think the system was to blame. I think signing Leighton to be the starter instead of someone more established did that. It meant Bob ended up getting the call instead of getting a lot more time to adjust to NA in the AHL before moving up. He was tossed into the fire.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:51 PM
  #273
toughfighter83*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnick View Post
Tell me your not comparing Illya Bryzgalov to Martin Brodeur?

Honestly I don't know of any goalie who is out there that is elite without giving up some youth. Goaltending is the most important piece of the team IMHO and you have to give up if you want to solidify that position because they are at a premium. As I have stated, Bryz gets paid top dollar, 6th highest cap hit in the league for inconsistent downright awful play for a vast majority of the time. 8 more years is unexceptable. Honestly I would rather just about any goalie because of his contract. If he was getting 5.6 for 1/2 years then fine because I know there is a light at the end if the tunnel, but 8 more years of mediocrity is not fine. Having Bryz I basically eating up Giroux's prime because Bryz is not going to get us the cup.
what are you going to do if they dont get rid of him? it's team game, if you are so high on goalies then why root for this team then, if you dont like bryz, then why are you rooting for the flyers? deal with it or dont root for the flyers.

toughfighter83* is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 07:11 PM
  #274
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I don't think the system was to blame. I think signing Leighton to be the starter instead of someone more established did that. It meant Bob ended up getting the call instead of getting a lot more time to adjust to NA in the AHL before moving up. He was tossed into the fire.
i agree. but you have to admit having an offense first system is a hotter fire to be thrown into. and signing leighton was almost a pity F. we could have saved everybody the embarrassment and just cut him a side check if thats what snider wanted to do for his play in the 2010 playoffs. I personally would've burned the check after the finals but that's my point. we need to not be so grateful to goalies who perform at an NHL level. we need to start drafting and looking for diamonds in that rough.

funghoul is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 07:49 PM
  #275
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au
 
FlyersFanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
and if Bryz plays much of the season like he did March last year, they'll be fine.

i will root for him & i remain optimistic.
Flyers already stated that Bryz would play 35+ of the 48 games and Leighton to cover the rest. Wish you people wouldn't be so hard on Leighton, I know he let in a stinger to lose the cup but without Leighton that year the Flyers wouldn't have been there to begin with. He did shutout Montreal in the playoffs.
By the way, the Flyers do have Boucher back as a possible 3rd string goalie, he will be with the Phantoms.

FlyersFanz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.