HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Brian Strait (Claimed by NY Islanders)

Old
01-18-2013, 05:19 PM
wgknestrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I'm pretty sure when Bourque was claimed again by Washington, he was sent directly to Hershey.
I think other NHL teams have to have a chance at him before this can happen.

wgknestrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:19 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
It's easy to talk, though, Cole. There's a No. 1 defenseman currently un-signed. Offer sheet P.K. Subban. There's your upgrade. I agree on Douglas Murray. I'd LOVE him here. But with several D-men injured in SJ, we have to wait on that one. But Subban's just sitting there, waiting.

Force Montreal's hand. Offer sheet Subban and then you either get a trade done or you get Letang's partner for the next decade.

Stop playing nice. We need to address this defense. Just as Rowdy said, so far the improvements on D don't cut the mustard.
What Shero realistically could offer Subban, given what he's going to have to give Letang and maybe Geno, is something Montreal matches pretty quickly.

I think, if Montreal only will jump if their hand is forced, then I think the way to go is to explore a trade.

This one ends up like Nashville with Weber. Either you make a trade, or they match an offer if you try to force their hand.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:21 PM
clefty
Crazy in the Coconut

Quote:
I'm pretty sure when Bourque was claimed again by Washington, he was sent directly to Hershey.
Because they were the only team to make a claim.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:21 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I disagree. Shero was pretty adamant about wanting to get change. I don't think it was really out there in the summer. I agree I'd send Lovejoy out before Strait, but they all really don't matter. We need legit defenders in here. Not PMDs... not potential stars... we need Scuds/Gill type players. I thought Strait/Engo were the only 2 in that style along side Orpik.

But hey... we are where we are. I'd bring Murray over in a heartbeat and pair him w/ Engo. That would be a sick 3rd pairing. Letang-Nisky, Martin-Orpik, Murray-Engo. Boom. That makes me feel good. Inevitably, if Martin doesn't pick it up, then goodbye. Simple as that.

To get back to the point - Shero did sound like he wanted change. I'm not pulling the trigger on *****ing just yet.
My new 'if Paul Martin is, well, being Paul Martin and San Jose is completely out' hope would be for Shero to go for the Clowe, Boyle, Murray trifecta. Would pretty much kill all the birds with one stone.

Plus, he'd still have the cap space and plenty of assets to go after Iginla . . .

Old
01-18-2013, 05:22 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Correct

Old
01-18-2013, 05:23 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Not sure PK is the right guy to have in our room with his cocky attitude. Good player but still not worth 5+ million right now
He'd be the right guy to have tomorrow in Philly.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:27 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Right.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:37 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
So glad we wasted a semi-high draft pick, developed him, and gave him to Islanders for nothing......
Developed him into what? Our #8 D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tang View Post
I think the Isles have claimed 90% of the players put on waivers...
Yah their waiver moves speak for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanh View Post
If another team really would have wanted Strait bad they would have traded for him. Its hard to get a player for nothing if other teams (like the isles) can take him before you.
Truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
What is Garth going to do with all these defenseman?
Put 2 or 3 of them on waivers a week from now?

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:43 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Developed him into what? Our #8 D?

Yah their waiver moves speak for themselves.

Truth.

Put 2 or 3 of them on waivers a week from now?
Don't joke, because you're probably right. He'll do it knowing he'd lose one at most.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Pretty dissapointed to lose him to a divisional rival and also lose him over Ben Lovejoy. Good luck Strait, sure you'll do well wherever you end up.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:10 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Pretty dissapointed to lose him to a divisional rival and also lose him over Ben Lovejoy. Good luck Strait, sure you'll do well wherever you end up.
You know, Shero still has Sutter, Pouliot, Dumoulin (and Sneep in Wheeling) to show for his first three picks in the 2006 draft.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
You know, Shero still has Sutter, Pouliot, Dumoulin (and Sneep in Wheeling) to show for his first three picks in the 2006 draft.
No doubt Pouliot and Dumoulin will be frequent members in the future, as Sutter will be now but I felt that we could've held onto him for another season if Despres wasn't going to start in the NHL.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:24 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
No doubt Pouliot and Dumoulin will be frequent members in the future, as Sutter will be now but I felt that we could've held onto him for another season if Despres wasn't going to start in the NHL.
I understand. I don't think it's a terrible loss in the scheme of things. Teams lose players like this all the time to the numbers game.

The only thing that irks me very slightly is that he went and Lovejoy stayed. That's not to say that Lovejoy isn't better. Rather, it's to say that you know exactly what you've got with Lovejoy and the potential was there for Strait to give you more.

Side question: Since you're in the UK, how are you watching Pens games? Gamecenter? Another app?

Old
01-18-2013, 06:58 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by limite* View Post
You miss the point. It's not whether he fit into future plans. It's that the Pens gave away an asset for nothing. But of course, Shero is the man who gave away Muzzin and Moulson for nothing. Even if they couldn't trade him now, injuries happen and he might be in demand later. It is also hard to figure when they kept Despres, who didn't have to go on waiver and who has looked poor both in the AHL and in the scrimmage.

It is also funny to back a year or two and see all the posts about how he was going fill an important role as a steady presence on the blueline. Makes you think that you shouldn't be too overly optimistic about prospects.
No, I understand that point completely. But the fact is you can't hold Muzzin and Moulson against Shero anymore than you hold Player X and Player Y against GM Z. This stuff happens where it doesn't look like a prospect will pan out and he is let go. Dallas fans said good riddance to Niskanen and he's become quite serviceable for us; sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery. If Moulson stayed here, who's to say he would have ever developed? Maybe the extensive ice time he got with a team like the Islanders paired with the coaches system that he would have never gotten here is what made him flourish. Plus, the Pens weren't the only team to give up on him: see Kings, LA. Both seemed able to win the cup without his services.

Every team gives away an asset for nothing. It's going to happen because no one is perfect and no one has a crystal ball to point out who will and won't be good and the NHL roster system only makes it tougher.

And the biggest point of all is this: losing Strait is not a huge blow to this team. May it come back to bite us in the ass? Sure. But that's the risk with every single move made by every single GM from a trade to a signing to a draft pick. If losing Strait on waivers is one of Shero's biggest mistakes that we're all debating it this much, I think we've got ourselves a pretty reliable GM who knows a thing or two (not that it is in question).

I don't see why it's hard to figure out they kept Despres: there's a lot of potential and NHL time will do him good. And as you said, he can clear waivers so if he needs more AHL seasoning, he goes back down without any trouble.

Last edited by The Tang: 01-18-2013 at 07:07 PM.
The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:36 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
Bourque made the Bruins roster and supposedly looked great in camp. He will fit nicely on their fourth line.
There is a 0% chance Chris Bourque sticks on any NHL roster. I have never been more comfortable saying this: "the guy simply cannot play at this level."

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:44 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by limite* View Post
You miss the point. It's not whether he fit into future plans. It's that the Pens gave away an asset for nothing. But of course, Shero is the man who gave away Muzzin and Moulson for nothing. Even if they couldn't trade him now, injuries happen and he might be in demand later. It is also hard to figure when they kept Despres, who didn't have to go on waiver and who has looked poor both in the AHL and in the scrimmage.

It is also funny to back a year or two and see all the posts about how he was going fill an important role as a steady presence on the blueline. Makes you think that you shouldn't be too overly optimistic about prospects.
It only took 76 posts.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:46 PM
KIRK

Quote:
It only took 76 posts.
You know, I must confess that's pretty funny when it's not directed at me.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:05 PM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Are people really upset about losing Jake Muzzin?

I mean, Strait seems like a fine player, but I don't think anyone here includes them in their "our defensive pairings in 2-4 years" charts. (Funny how he's about to become a shutdown stud suddenly.) He wasn't going to net anything significant in a trade on his own and he wasn't going to be the piece that swung a larger deal for Pittsburgh. If the Penguins' front office thinks he's even with or slightly better than Lovejoy, their contracts probably made the decision. Why pay Lovejoy a full NHL salary to play in Wilkes-Barre?.

I think the Islanders are going to see which of their waiver pickups fit in best in their thin defensive unit while the Visnovsky situation plays out and probably waive one or two relatively soon. (I'm not sure of Ty Wishart's waiver status but he could be a candidate, too.) They only have five proven NHL defensemen on the roster (excluding Visnovsky) and it's almost a given that Radek Martinek misses significant time, so they may wind up needing these guys. I think there's a chance the Penguins can reacquire Straight, though.

Even if they do, did he really have a future here? I wouldn't have been surprised if they didn't bring him back after this year anyway.

Last edited by BrunoPuntzJones: 01-18-2013 at 09:17 PM.
BrunoPuntzJones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
There is a 0% chance Chris Bourque sticks on any NHL roster. I have never been more comfortable saying this: "the guy simply cannot play at this level."
Well, he's staying in Boston (at least for Game 1) this season. Bourque in Boston. What's in a name, eh?

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:00 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpitt05 View Post
How are people so convinced that Strait is a legit NHL ready dman? He only played a handful of games due to injuries and looked like just another AHL dman out there. It's not like we lost someone that actually played a full or even half of a season in the NHL. I completely agree with Shero/DB on this move.
Actually he played very steady in his call-ups, and was more reliable than a good portion of our NHL blueline (albeit in limited minutes), including Lovejoy.

The number games a player has played in the NHL is not an ultimate indicator of their quality.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Honour Over Glory

Didn't the Isles pick up Grabner off waivers? That kid is what I hope Mattia can end up being like.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:10 PM
MrBurgundy
Dan was a bad choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Actually he played very steady in his call-ups, and was more reliable than a good portion of our NHL blueline (albeit in limited minutes), including Lovejoy.

The number games a player has played in the NHL is not an ultimate indicator of their quality.
Seriously. The hand washing and rewriting of history here now that he's gone is getting a bit ridiculous. He was better than Lovejoy, looked steady when given a chance, was a top shutdown dman in the AHL for a few years, and was still relatively young.

It's not going to cost us the Cup now or in the future, but I just can't get on board with this being the correct roster move.

MrBurgundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:12 PM
MrBurgundy
Dan was a bad choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Didn't the Isles pick up Grabner off waivers? That kid is what I hope Mattia can end up being like.
Mattia doesn't even look good enough right now to even assume he'll get offered a contract.

MrBurgundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Seriously. The hand washing and rewriting of history here now that he's gone is getting a bit ridiculous. He was better than Lovejoy, looked steady when given a chance, was a top shutdown dman in the AHL for a few years, and was still relatively young.

It's not going to cost us the Cup now or in the future, but I just can't get on board with this being the correct roster move.
I would have preferred to keep Strait over Lovejoy myself but I will also admit there is a legit argument that Lovejoy is the better player when you look at their body of work through college, minors etc. Lovejoy is bigger, faster and has been more productive at pretty much every level.

Regardless, I have a hard time getting fired up about this debate for the simple reason that neither one was/is really in the plans long-term. We're talking about guys that would have been the #8 D-Man on a team with loads of D prospects that will pass them by as early as next season.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:16 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Grabner showed a lot more of a goal scoring touch at the junior level than Marcantuoni has to date. Really disappointed with the season he's having.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote