HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Sam Gagner vs Kyle Turris

View Poll Results: Who will have a better season?
Sam Gagner 239 48.19%
Kyle Turris 257 51.81%
Voters: 496. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2013, 04:26 PM
  #76
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
Kyle Turris?..best season is 29 pts.? that's just, well, sad.
seems he has A LOT of games where he scores 0 points.
Ya know Pheonix buried Turris on the 4th line, where he played along side Biznasty...I wonder how many 6 point nights Gagner would of got there..

Dysentery is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 04:36 PM
  #77
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,002
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
My player has crappy offensive numbers?

Hes great defensively!
Turris had 0.59 PPG compared to Gagner's 0.62(take out gagner's lucky game and hes at 0.52 ppg). I guess Gagner's numbers are crappy as well... except hes not so good defensively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
Kyle Turris?..best season is 29 pts.? that's just, well, sad.
seems he has A LOT of games where he scores 0 points.
in 49 games played...

Benny FTW is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 04:38 PM
  #78
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Kyle Turris. I think Gagner will get lost in the shuffle in Edmonton this year.
Playing in between Ales Hemsky and Nail Yakupov and being on the 2nd unit PP is lost in the shuffle?

bsmith14 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 04:38 PM
  #79
Jerk Store
Classless
 
Jerk Store's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Aylmer
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,292
vCash: 500
Thi season should settle this debate. I think Turris is rising and Gagné will regress, or stay the same

Jerk Store is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 04:41 PM
  #80
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe
 
Vdhawan89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Kyle Turris. I think Gagner will get lost in the shuffle in Edmonton this year.
Lost in the shuffle on a line with Hemmer and Yak? Yeah, I doubt it.

Vdhawan89 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 04:49 PM
  #81
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov
 
Booyakasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,344
vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Turris had 0.59 PPG compared to Gagner's 0.62(take out gagner's lucky game and hes at 0.52 ppg). I guess Gagner's numbers are crappy as well... except hes not so good defensively.


in 49 games played...
54 games...you forgot about his pointless 6 games before the trade

and no one gets "lucky" scoring 8 points in 1 game..

give credit where it's due.

Booyakasha is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 04:51 PM
  #82
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov
 
Booyakasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,344
vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Thi season should settle this debate. I think Turris is rising and Gagné will regress, or stay the same
we are talking about Gagner not Gagne.

Booyakasha is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 04:54 PM
  #83
HavlatMach9
Registered User
 
HavlatMach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,545
vCash: 500
Pierre McGuire thinks Turris would have had 70 points this season if the entire season was played. I don't see that and I hope he repeats last year for the full year.

HavlatMach9 is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 04:58 PM
  #84
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,002
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
54 games...you forgot about his pointless 6 games before the trade

and no one gets "lucky" scoring 8 points in 1 game..

give credit where it's due.
Nope. Those games dont show anything, as Turris was on the 4th line on a team that didn't want him to succeed.

It was luck. Everything went right for him that game. Crosby would be lucky to score 8 points in a game...

Benny FTW is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 05:02 PM
  #85
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov
 
Booyakasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,344
vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Nope. Those games dont show anything, as Turris was on the 4th line on a team that didn't want him to succeed.

It was luck. Everything went right for him that game. Crosby would be lucky to score 8 points in a game...
....this is awesome.

let's not use the complete season of Turris because it would affect his PPG, and let's forget about Gagners 8 point game cuz it was lucky and inflates his PPG.

one player is just lucky and the other one was completely sabotaged to fail by his own team... bloody genius

Booyakasha is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 05:07 PM
  #86
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,117
vCash: 500
I think Gagner has probably maxed out his potential while Turris has just scratched the surface of his, so I voted Turris (and I am an Oiler fan).

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 05:07 PM
  #87
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov
 
Booyakasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,344
vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Nope. Those games dont show anything, as Turris was on the 4th line on a team that didn't want him to succeed.

It was luck. Everything went right for him that game. Crosby would be lucky to score 8 points in a game...
you believe a team drafts a player with a high valuable pick, to invest time and money on him, only to not want to have him succeed?

Booyakasha is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 05:08 PM
  #88
SenateReform
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
....this is awesome.

let's not use the complete season of Turris because it would affect his PPG, and let's forget about Gagners 8 point game cuz it was lucky and inflates his PPG.

one player is just lucky and the other one was completely sabotaged to fail by his own team... bloody genius
This poll is about the upcoming season, not last season. It seems like half the people commenting have ignored the OP's question and want to just point to the fact that Gagner has scored more points before.

You can ignore the unusual circumstances around Kyle Turris and the past couple of seasons and act like he's a bust but he still has a lot of skill and will be given every chance to succeed in Ottawa.

It's not like Gagner is expected to crack 100 points this year. It would be great if he hit a 60 point pace, which is also in the realm of possibility for Turris.

SenateReform is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 05:12 PM
  #89
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I think Gagner has probably maxed out his potential while Turris has just scratched the surface of his, so I voted Turris (and I am an Oiler fan).
How does one come to this conclusion? Its not like Turris was in the AHL until now developing. Gagners numbers have been increasing year over year

topchowda is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 05:33 PM
  #90
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,002
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
How does one come to this conclusion? Its not like Turris was in the AHL until now developing. Gagners numbers have been increasing year over year

49
41
41
42
47

Thats Gagner's career season point totals.

Benny FTW is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 05:44 PM
  #91
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School
 
fly4apuckguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
How does one come to this conclusion? Its not like Turris was in the AHL until now developing. Gagners numbers have been increasing year over year
Gagner has played almost twice as many games in his career. I believe we have seen what Gagner can do. He's a good player. Turris, for a variety of reasons (some his own), has not had the chance in the NHL Gagner has had. I think once Turris plays a full season for a team that uses him properly, he shows he is overall a better player.

fly4apuckguy is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 05:47 PM
  #92
The Latvian
#rooster #classless
 
The Latvian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
How does one come to this conclusion? Its not like Turris was in the AHL until now developing. Gagners numbers have been increasing year over year
Well up until last year Turris was never really given an opportunity to show his skills. And he did so at ppg pace just below Gagner. Turris has shown progress since entering the league. Statistically Sam Gagner has not since his rookie year.

The Latvian is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:02 PM
  #93
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers92 View Post
jamie benn or hickey am i doing it right

gagner's been better to date turris may start to catch up but the safe bet is the guy whose already doing what the other hopes to
I really hope turris is aiming higher then what gagner is currently...or else there is barely any room for turris to improve.

jbeck5 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:04 PM
  #94
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
Wait, so Turris is a defensive specialist then? Okay,then that must make up for the lack of points!

Oh wait, he's not...
Turris is one of the most defensively responsable players on ottawa. Probably 3rd or 4th...so YES, he's a lot better defensively then gagner.

What was his GA/60 mins...1.82? that is nuts! Very good defensive player on 5 on 5. Always in the right position defensively.

jbeck5 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:07 PM
  #95
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Odd that a top two-way forward doesn't even kill penalties. Someone should let Paul McLean know that he's got a Martin Hanzal clone wasting away on the bench.

Heck, I'm not even much of a Sam Gagner fan, but this is an easy decision. He's superior offensively and, since Kyle Turris is certainly not a defensive ace, the defensive difference is negligble.
Playing PK isn't a necessity to be a good defensive player. Especially when you have a plethora of jim obriens, eric condras etc that wouldn't get any ice time if they didn't kill penalties...but keep talking like you understand what's going on...

jbeck5 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:20 PM
  #96
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,099
vCash: 492
I think Turris will be a better player, but all the same I would like to see Gagner do well.

He's been through all the bad times in Edmonton, it would be nice to see him get rewarded as the team improves.

pepty is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:22 PM
  #97
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,595
vCash: 500
I think it's extremely fair to say gagner has proven more in the NHL. You'd have to be an idiot to say he hasn't. So edmonton fans are right there.

What makes people say turris, is going forward, he has more raw, natural,talent...for example, gagner wishes he had turris shot...Now don't go posting all these gagner goals...but i need to post these 2 shots for people who haven't seen how good turris' shot is. I would say his release is BEST ON THE SENS....better then spezza,alfredsson,michalek, karlsson etc...look at this release. So quick.




jbeck5 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:31 PM
  #98
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan
 
Yeah15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Turris had 0.59 PPG compared to Gagner's 0.62(take out gagner's lucky game and hes at 0.52 ppg). I guess Gagner's numbers are crappy as well... except hes not so good defensively.


in 49 games played...
Is that how statistics work? You're allowed to take out the biggest outlier in a situation to make them seem more favourable to your argument? Did you know that if you take away Los Angeles' cup win in '12, they have never won the cup?!?! :O Picking and choosing which data is used is the best way to prove to everyone that you have no clue what you're talking about.

Yeah15 is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:40 PM
  #99
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,002
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
Is that how statistics work? You're allowed to take out the biggest outlier in a situation to make them seem more favourable to your argument? Did you know that if you take away Los Angeles' cup win in '12, they have never won the cup?!?! :O Picking and choosing which data is used is the best way to prove to everyone that you have no clue what you're talking about.
I showed Gagner's untouched ppg as the main part of my argument.

If your talking about not using Turris's 4th line yotes games, why do those games matter?


Last edited by Benny FTW: 01-18-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Benny FTW is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 06:42 PM
  #100
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
Is that how statistics work? You're allowed to take out the biggest outlier in a situation to make them seem more favourable to your argument? Did you know that if you take away Los Angeles' cup win in '12, they have never won the cup?!?! :O Picking and choosing which data is used is the best way to prove to everyone that you have no clue what you're talking about.
I get what you're saying and all...but in material and data management for businesses, they actually remove the outliers of their samples...Which is basically what he did.

You're both right. He's doing it to make his argument look better, however it isn't as random to remove outliers as you think. In several cases, it can provider a clearer picture.

Just letting you know as you may not have known this. Carry on.

jbeck5 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.