HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Stu Macher

vCash: 500
To everybody here who saw and liked Zero Dark Thirty, I suggest seeing it again. I loved it the first time I saw it, and on tonight's re-watch, I thought it was even better. Possibly my #1 of the year.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:25 PM
HawksRule7
Fehr the Reaper

Going to do a solo movie night tomorrow, and it's between Zero Dark Thirty, Silver Linings Playbook and Jack Reacher. I'm a huge fan of the Lee Child series, so that's the only reason the last one's in there.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Carlzner

Gangster Squad
4.5/10
Cheesy as hell.

Seven Psychopaths
7/10
Enjoyed it, was fun. Loved the ending.

Looper
9/10
Loved it, loved the mood and cinematography especially.

Last edited by Carlzner: 01-18-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old
01-18-2013, 06:38 PM
StringerBell

End of Watch: 71/100

The first thing that stands out is the great chemistry between the two leads. The shooting style lent some originality to the genre, but the plot was unfortunately pulled from the recycle bin. Enjoyable watch.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:46 PM
kihei

vCash: 2046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
So I take it you were not too fond of "This Is England" then?
Just picked it up, and I thought This Is England was a good movie, partly because of its didacticism--I felt I got a better understanding of how easily it is for young people in Great Britain to drift into a kind of nationalistic fascism because they have so little in their lives going on or so little to look forward to. I thought Shaun's drift from the "good" gang to the "bad" gang was seamless and effective. I think the movie gets a little too didactic at the end, and a little soft as well, in order to make a point about rejecting that alternative. But the film had a much more authentic feel to me than most of Loach and Leigh's more cinematically polished works. Not many movies have staked out this particular turf and I thought it did a good job of humanizing the sort of people that most of us probably don't want to spend too much time thinking about in the first place.

Last edited by kihei: 01-18-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old
01-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Stu Macher

I didn't really like Killing Them Softly, but it is almost worth the price of admission to see Brad Pitt's haircut, which is dynamite.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Shareefruck

Cloud Atlas - 0.5/5

Might be my least favorite movie of the year.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-18-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old
01-18-2013, 10:41 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

End Of Watch - 5/10

This movie seems to be quite popular around these parts so I was pretty excited going in, but I found it to be very dissapointing. The way it was shot was creative I guess, but not really enjoyable. I did get used to the style after a bit though. My biggest problem was the unevenness of it all. It felt light-hearted but it felt like it wanted to be serious at the same time. We see some pretty brutal things but they just didn't have a strong impact with me. The movie moves along so fast from one instance to another, that none of them really registered for me. I did like the characters though.

To Rome With Love - 1/10

I loved Midnight in Paris so I was eager to see Woody Allen turn his attention to Rome. This movie doesn't have any of the charm that Midnight in Paris had. In that film Allen does a great job of capturing the spirt of Paris (I don't know if Paris is like that, but that doesn't matter). This movie on the other hand, feels like it could have been shot anywhere. It's also completely lacking any plot. It's just a collection of short stories which would have been okay if they were at all interesting or funny. The only one that I kind of enjoyed was the man who became famous for doing nothing. The least favorite movie I have seen in quite a while.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:47 PM
darko

Gangster Squad - 7/10

Old
01-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
To everybody here who saw and liked Zero Dark Thirty, I suggest seeing it again. I loved it the first time I saw it, and on tonight's re-watch, I thought it was even better. Possibly my #1 of the year.
It was better for me just because I got to see it in the theatres. On the whole it's a good movie.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:54 AM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
Watched Cashback last night and loved every minute of it. Great soundtrack too.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Habsfan22100

Seven Psychopaths: 8/10

Despite some problems, McDonagh delivers another funny and very entertaining movie. It's certainly not as good as In Bruges, but I still really liked it. I also really loved the ending.

There's still a bunch of movies I want to see from 2012, but I'd say the following are my favorites so far:

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. The Master
3. Looper
4. Killing Them Softly
5. Seven Psychopaths
6. The Dark Knight Rises

Old
01-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

The Hobbit 7/10

Really enjoyed the movie, my first ever 3d experience, and while the movie was enjoyable there were times when I couldn't help but feel like I was watching a play...I don't know if it was the higher frame rate I've been hearing about, but sometimes it felt really cartoony or surreal. I don't really know how to explain it, I'm just looking forward to watching it in good old high def.

As for the actual movie, it was alot like lord of the rings. I felt myself dozing off at some points and on the edge of my seat for others. Gimli was exactly what I expected a dwarf would look like...Thorin not so much.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:40 AM
kihei

The Last Stand (2013), directed by Kim Jee-Woon: Undermanned small town sheriff has to stop a really bad guy coming his way. What are the chances, eh? Really good. You might have thought that Arnold Schwarzenegger could have found a less generic script to make a comeback, but you would be wrong. Importing Kim Jee-Woon (A Tale of Two Sister; I Saw the Devil) from South Korea to direct was an inspired idea, but not even he can do much with this paint-by-numbers action flick. Still, it is way too easy to rip this comeback, so let's concentrate on some of the things it gets right. Jee-Woon does give the movie a bit more sparkle here and there then it deserves—one hell of a fast car is photographed very well, for one thing. And the movie has a certain amiability, thanks to Arnold’s likable presence. He tries to act a little in parts of it, and for my money he does, you know, okay. The eventual payoff does seem a little awkward, but it is kind of nice to have the big guy back delivering the odd funny one-liner. There are worse ways to kill an afternoon, though I must say none immediately leap to mind.

Last edited by kihei: 01-20-2013 at 03:11 AM.
Old
01-20-2013, 04:20 AM
Shareefruck

Whoa, strange coincidence.

Finally got around to watching these.

Terminator - 2/5
Terminator 2: Judgement Day - 2.5 or 3/5

Still a hint of all the Cameronisms, but better/less annoying than anything else I've seen from him.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-20-2013 at 04:51 AM.
Old
01-20-2013, 05:20 AM
Howard Beale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Strange, when I grew up, there was at least a short period of time where it was a huge fad and everybody talked about it. That was long before I got into movies.

I wouldn't expect most people to have seen it, but I would have expected nearly everyone to have heard of the premise.
You can't just project your own experiences onto everyone else though, and assume every single person would know about something, just because it was well known in the circles you ran in. Everyone has a different background, grew up with different types of people, and was exposed (or not exposed) to particular things. Realistically if you asked 100 random North American people about Battle Royale, I bet that 90 or more wouldn't know the premise of it.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Gobias Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard beale View Post
you can't just project your own experiences onto everyone else though, and assume every single person would know about something, just because it was well known in the circles you ran in. Everyone has a different background, grew up with different types of people, and was exposed (or not exposed) to particular things. Realistically if you asked 100 random north american people about battle royale, i bet that 90 or more wouldn't know the premise of it.
95+ imo...

Old
01-20-2013, 01:24 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
You can't just project your own experiences onto everyone else though, and assume every single person would know about something, just because it was well known in the circles you ran in. Everyone has a different background, grew up with different types of people, and was exposed (or not exposed) to particular things. Realistically if you asked 100 random North American people about Battle Royale, I bet that 90 or more wouldn't know the premise of it.
You're right. I was sort of trying to get at that and conceding to the point-- guess I wasn't clear (that's why I said strange and used past-tense). It just SEEMED like it was a huge pop culture fad thing to me and I was admitting that I guess I wasn't aware that it's not in that last post.

It didn't seem like a particular circle of friends thing to me, because I always heard it mentioned from just normal kids who didn't pay attention to stuff like that.

To be honest, I'm still skeptical about the author either way though. That she just stumbled on the same idea innocently.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-20-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old
01-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Howard Beale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
You're right. I was sort of trying to get at that and conceding to the point-- guess I wasn't clear (that's why I said strange and used past-tense). It just SEEMED like it was a huge pop culture fad thing to me and I was admitting that I guess I wasn't aware that it's not in that last post.

It didn't seem like a particular circle of friends thing to me, because I always heard it mentioned from just normal kids who didn't pay attention to stuff like that.

To be honest, I'm still skeptical about the author either way though. That she just stumbled on the same idea innocently.
That's fair enough, I see that more now that I re-read your post.

Regardless, it's very possible she lifted the concept from Battle Royale, but we'll probably never know for sure.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:12 AM
Shareefruck

Les Miserables - 1.5/5
Russel Crowe was so cringeworthy in this.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 01-21-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old
01-21-2013, 01:22 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Just watched Broken City. For all the bad reviews this movie got i really liked it. "too many things at once" was a common complaint which was somewhat fair, but anyone with a moderate level of attention span could follow the movie well. Great acting, great plot, great ending. Crowe stole the show for sure.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Just picked it up, and I thought This Is England was a good movie, partly because of its didacticism--I felt I got a better understanding of how easily it is for young people in Great Britain to drift into a kind of nationalistic fascism because they have so little in their lives going on or so little to look forward to. I thought Shaun's drift from the "good" gang to the "bad" gang was seamless and effective. I think the movie gets a little too didactic at the end, and a little soft as well, in order to make a point about rejecting that alternative. But the film had a much more authentic feel to me than most of Loach and Leigh's more cinematically polished works. Not many movies have staked out this particular turf and I thought it did a good job of humanizing the sort of people that most of us probably don't want to spend too much time thinking about in the first place.
This Is England was a pleasant surprise for me and captured the gritty undertones of nondescript people living lives of quiet desperation. I really enjoyed it.

However, I also enjoyed Green Street Hooligans, eventhough in terms of reality, it was basically the antithesis of This Is England.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Warrior
8.5/10

I expected nothing from this. I was bored the other day and this popped up as a suggestion on Netflix. Solid movie with some really emotional scenes. Nolte was great in this.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:53 PM
MurrayBannerman
Moo Points

Bronson

8.5/10

Old
01-21-2013, 10:51 PM
kihei

The Weeping Meadow (2004), directed by Theodoros Angelopoulos: In 1919, a large group of immigrants escape Odessa and journey to rural Greece, their new home. An adopted daughter is brought home from somewhere, seemingly in disgrace. It seems the family’s son has done something terrible to her. But impressions are misleading, as they love one another, have since they were children. When she turns eighteen, a marriage is arranged with the father of the clan, now a widower. But she and the son escape on her wedding day. Thus begins what seems like it will be a tragic romance. The couple runs away and is befriended by travelling musicians. They hide the couple, but the father tracks them down, but with unexpected results. Slowly their story veers from just the personal to the universal, as war engulfs Europe. And the movie transforms itself in the process from a tragic romance to a modern Greek tragedy in every sense of the term, something that Aeschylus might have written if he had been alive today. The direction of the movie is superb. There is not a hint of a primary colour in the movie; the camera keeps its distance with relatively few close ups; when the camera moves, which it does frequently, it does so slowly and unobtrusively, as if to disturb as little as possible. It is interesting to speculate on what the main character's central flaw is, perhaps just being in the wrong time and the wrong place. Perhaps the flaw is not hers. Movies hardly ever tackle textbook definition, classical-type tragedies. The Weeping Meadow is an immensely impressive cinematic achievement.

subtitles

Last edited by kihei: 01-22-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Closed Thread