HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Final 23-man roster

Old
01-18-2013, 05:42 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post

Man, did I love that show as a kid.
As a kid? Hell, I have the DVD's and still love that show.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
As a kid? Hell, I have the DVD's and still love that show.
Yep, it's still very good, particularly the episodes before John Kricfalusi (show creator and voice of Ren) was fired.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:01 PM
SublimeNightmare

Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
It's been mentioned before but it's worth writing again. Grigs basically had the best of both worlds. He did have another season in juniors and the WJC acted as a sort of playoffs where he preformed above average. He was able to get one more year under his belt and now he gets a chance to go against NHL'ers. He has stong line mates with Leino and Ott, a solid defense that played together last year and Miller/Enroth in net.

The team is solid. What better environment for Grigs then to be in mid-season form, on a solid team going against presumably some rusty NHL players.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:06 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
Or if Lindy follows the 05-06 template and rolls 3 scoring lines. Roy feasted on those matchups, why couldn't Grigo?
Exactly. If Grigorenko stays the whole season on the 3rd line and plays all 48 games I can see him putting up something like 14g-21a-35p this year, finishing in the top 5 for scoring.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Sabresfansince1980

The mis-match could go for any line on any given night, unless V-H-P or F-E-S prove to be consistently dangerous. It really doesn't matter which line is hot or which line the other team focuses on, three scoring lines is hard to match up against for most any team. The key will be health, and part of staying healthy is having guys around that will deter other teams from taking runs at your skill players.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:47 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Hopefully Gerbe is ready to go soon. We need that extra offense in the lineup. He brings a physical aspect to his game as well.
Must be a different Gerbe. Plays with heart but he doesn't intimidate much and his scoring disappeared.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:55 PM
SabFanInOtt

I'd be really surprised if Grigorenko stays after five games no matter what numbers he puts up. The number of 18 year olds that wouldn't have been helped by more seasoning is pretty small. I'm more than happy to let him have a big year in the Q and see him next season.

SabFanInOtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:15 PM
HiddenInLight

Very good news. I can't wait until Sunday to get my first glimpse at Grigorenko!

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:16 PM
cybresabre
March Mighty Elk

vCash: 723
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Tiny sample size (2 games); could have just been bad match-ups for him. However, he's far from a great faceoff man at that level so there's no reason to expect him to come in and be great at faceoffs in the NHL. My hope is that he's OK enough to take most draws, with Ott taking key / defensive zone draws. Ott is probably the best faceoff man on the team right now so it'd be silly not to take advantage of him.
Oh, it absolutely is a tiny sample size, but that was basically my point. I don't have his WJC stats, but if he looked good at the dot, it was likely an aberration because he's been very average in junior. He checks in at 51.33% this year and 50.57% last year*.

I do have his WJC faceoff stats now, but don't want to rewrite the above. It looks like he was ranked #29 (among guys with double digit wins) at 48.51%.

Ott's by far the best bet on our team and Daz28 made it clear he was merely speculating for conversation because of the faceoffs he saw Grigs take.

*At his current rate of improvement (.76 percentage points per year) he'll be invincible at the dot when he's 82 years old!

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:19 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Premature maybe, but does anyone expect Grigo to compete for the Calder this year? He's looked great so far IMO.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:20 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

If Hecht plays 90% of the games this season, this is a dangerous team. Being able to keep 26-29 together, with a real center ( aka not Adam ), plus FES, and now two veterans surrounding what very well could be the MVP of juniors...and then have one of the best 4th lines in the NHL in Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta, I'm really excited.

Vanek always showed he cared.
Pomms always is consistent, and two-way.
Ott has always been solid.
And getting rid of Roy and let's just say baggage...
Wow, this team could make some noise bc we have D & a goalie

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I wish the Sabres would update the roster to have Brennan and McCormick both on it and put Gerbe and McCormick on IR so we know the full roster. Infuriates me when teams can't update especially at the start of the season so we know who's where.

Very happy to see Grigorenko make it though. Can't wait to see him play. Speaking of which, him and Grier both have the same initials, M.G., and Grigorenko is wearing Grier's old number. Found it cool and ironic and had to share.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:38 PM
5 Minute Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Premature maybe, but does anyone expect Grigo to compete for the Calder this year? He's looked great so far IMO.
Maybe, but I think we have a better candidate than Grigerenko. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Foligno is still eligible for the Calder. I could be wrong.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:40 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Must be a different Gerbe. Plays with heart but he doesn't intimidate much and his scoring disappeared.
Gerbe's offensive output -- disappointing as it was -- wasn't that bad when you look at a bit deeper. For most of the season he was used in a very defensive role. He actually put up a career high in assists, but his goal scoring took a big drop. I don't think he's likely to shoot as poorly as 4.4% again. He provides the team with offensive depth; either he makes the 4th line more dangerous than it otherwise would be or he can slide up in case of injury, including into the 2nd PP unit if necessary.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:41 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post

It's LOG, it's LOG -- it's better than bad, it's good!
Exactly.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Maybe, but I think we have a better candidate than Grigerenko. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Foligno is still eligible for the Calder. I could be wrong.
He is, doesn't have the flash/hype etc as the other candidates..but he's in a good position to succeed being put on the 2nd line and having some experience and success in NHL games already. Potential dark horse candidate most seem to have forgotten about.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
I wish the Sabres would update the roster to have Brennan and McCormick both on it and put Gerbe and McCormick on IR so we know the full roster. Infuriates me when teams can't update especially at the start of the season so we know who's where.

Very happy to see Grigorenko make it though. Can't wait to see him play. Speaking of which, him and Grier both have the same initials, M.G., and Grigorenko is wearing Grier's old number. Found it cool and ironic and had to share.
Sabres roster on capgeek.com is up to date. They finally took Porter off.

It doesn't help with jersey numbers or IR, but is good info if you are interested in the team's salary cap.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:50 PM
cybresabre
March Mighty Elk

vCash: 723
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Whoa. I bet they just gave him 25 so they could just cut up an old Grier jersey and sew the "G-O-N-K-O" letters on to patch the holes they made. Actually... I have never seen Grigorenko and Grier in the same place at the same time. Conspiracy! That would explain all the "Grigorenko is actually an old man" nonsense... It would also explain how he "learned" "English" so "quickly."

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
Whoa. I bet they just gave him 25 so they could just cut up an old Grier jersey and sew the "G-O-N-K-O" letters on to patch the holes they made. Actually... I have never seen Grigorenko and Grier in the same place at the same time. Conspiracy! That would explain all the "Grigorenko is actually an old man" nonsense... It would also explain how he "learned" "English" so "quickly."

Anyone know what our defense pairings will definitely look like for the opener? I've heard:

Regehr - Myers
Ehrhoff - Sulzer
Leopold - Sekera

Kinda disappointed if that's true. I preferred Reggie and Rej together and thought Myers played best with Leopold.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Dasachtach
Bluenoser

Thank god Grigs made the team. Keep him away from the QMJHL

Dasachtach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:32 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Anyone know what our defense pairings will definitely look like for the opener? I've heard:

Regehr - Myers
Ehrhoff - Sulzer
Leopold - Sekera

Kinda disappointed if that's true. I preferred Reggie and Rej together and thought Myers played best with Leopold.
I never liked Myers-Leo as a pairing. I think Regehr with Myers could be ok call. Reggie's pretty much never going to make a bad pinch (or any pinch) and won't make dumb mistakes in his own end, which could allow Myers to jump into more rushes, which IMO is what he should be doing.
What I'd really love to see is Sekera with Myers and Reggie with Leopold, but I'm not even sure that Sekera could/would play the left side.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:42 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I never liked Myers-Leo as a pairing. I think Regehr with Myers could be ok call. Reggie's pretty much never going to make a bad pinch (or any pinch) and won't make dumb mistakes in his own end, which could allow Myers to jump into more rushes, which IMO is what he should be doing.
What I'd really love to see is Sekera with Myers and Reggie with Leopold, but I'm not even sure that Sekera could/would play the left side.
Sekera can play the left side better than the right. IIRC Regehr was playing the right side of the Sekera-Regehr pairing, though someone can correct me on that.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Presten

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
He is, doesn't have the flash/hype etc as the other candidates..but he's in a good position to succeed being put on the 2nd line and having some experience and success in NHL games already. Potential dark horse candidate most seem to have forgotten about.
Bob Mackenzie told that Foligno was one of his calder candidates on TSN 1050 today

Presten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:58 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
He was getting talked up a bit at the end of least year when FES went crazy. But now there are newer toys (Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Tarasenko, etc.).

The thing though is that crazy FES hot streak is likely unsustainable for the whole season--sections of it sure. But I don't think Foligno will get enough stats to get it.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:11 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presten View Post
Bob Mackenzie told that Foligno was one of his calder candidates on TSN 1050 today
just saw this on NHL Network

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote