HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Valtteri Filppula our future 1st line Center?

Old
11-17-2012, 01:37 PM
TS Quint

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Are you new to this board?
How about Kyle Quincey, for one.
They guy who we let go to keep 47 year old Chelios even though Quincey showed he looked ready in his playoff stint.
And then we wasted a first round pick to get him back.
How about Jan Mursak for two.
How Did we really need Mike Modano two years ago? We really needed to resign Bertuzzi and Holmstrom for two years ... and to sign Modano?

If this season gets started this year...we're going to have to send Nyquist to the AHL unless we move someone or unless people stay injured all year.

Big deal, right?

If you ask me, right now, we have 3 AHL forwards who should already be on the team. Nyquist, Tatar and Andersson. Nyquist and Tatar should compete for top 9 roles and Andersson should be trying to win a 4th line job.

Nyquist is 23. Andersson is 23. Tatar is 21.

If those guys don't make it this year, now we're going to try to break them in next year? At 24, 24 and 22?

Oh, and right behind them you've got Jarnkrok, who will be 22 when next season starts. You;ve got Pulkkinen who should come over next season at 22.

If Ferraro finishes this season with 25 goals and 25 assists, shouldn't he get a look next year?

And we still haven't seen what Jan Mursak brings.

We didn't need to resign Mikeal Samuelsson this year. Especially not for 2 years. We didn't need to bring back Bertuzzi this year. Especially not for 2 years. And as much as I like Tootoo and what he brings, I think we could have went without him too.

Here's a lineup without Sammy and Bert
Nyqust Datsyuk Cleary
Flip Zetterberg Brunner
Tatar Helm Tootoo
Miller Abdelkader Mursak

RESERVE: Andersson/Eaves/Emmerton

Now if that looks young to you, imagine if Nyquist got all of last year in.and Mursak already had two full years in, like he should have..

Instead... perhaps only Nyquist will get a shot this year. And maybe none of them (thanks Gary Bettman).

Our farm system has never been more full than it is right now. And we're doing a bad job graduating guys into the NHL. Main reason is because we keep wasting spots on mediocre veterans.

------------------------------------
Bottom line is, introduce youth gradually or face a dramatic rebuild.

This isn't the 2002 Red Wings. Mikeal Samuelsson isn't Brett Hull or Luc Robitaille or Igor Larionov.
So Mursak and Quincy is all you have. Not really having me kicking myself. We know what we have in Mursak and its not worth while. So is Quincy a good player or not I can't tell by what you wrote. Is he a good player that we let go? Or is he a good player we got back for a steal? A first round draft pick isn't much. Look at your roster are we tryig to have the smallest team in the league. You don't like Sammy who's 6'3 and puts up 50 points.

Pulks is no shoe in to be an NHLer even if he is him and Jarnkrok aren't ready for 3 years, Sheahan isn't looking to be on a fast track. Ferraro has 10 good games and he's a shoe in to make the NHL just because he puts up Abdelkader like numbers? Anderson is looking like he's going to be a 3rd liner at best. What makes you think pushing Smith to the NHL last year playing half the amount of time makes him a better player? No proof in that. These guys will get their chance when they have earned it. Or in the case of some when they are strong enough.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 01:57 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

"What makes you think pushing Smith to the NHL last year playing half the amount of time makes him a better player? No proof in that."

Ummm common sense. Which is better, a top six with Smith having played his rookie season already or one where he is playing his rookie season? Learning to play against NHL forward's AND with Lidstrom would have given him knowledge/experience that the AHL could have never done.

Babcock said Smith was already ready for the NHL last year. There was nothing more Smith could have gained by playing in the AHL. It's just Kenny Holland doing his thing............

Last edited by WingedWheel1987: 11-17-2012 at 02:02 PM.
WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:44 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
"What makes you think pushing Smith to the NHL last year playing half the amount of time makes him a better player? No proof in that."

Ummm common sense. Which is better, a top six with Smith having played his rookie season already or one where he is playing his rookie season? Learning to play against NHL forward's AND with Lidstrom would have given him knowledge/experience that the AHL could have never done.

Babcock said Smith was already ready for the NHL last year. There was nothing more Smith could have gained by playing in the AHL. It's just Kenny Holland doing his thing............
12 min/ game Vs. 25 min/game. Plus Smith getting used to playing a NHL type schedule rather than the College schedule. Most good players out of College start out strong and fizzle out after 40 games. He's ready now and not hurt at all by playing in the AHL.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 02:50 PM
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
12 min/ game Vs. 25 min/game. Plus Smith getting used to playing a NHL type schedule rather than the College schedule. Most good players out of College start out strong and fizzle out after 40 games. He's ready now and not hurt at all by playing in the AHL.
He was ready last year. He got hurt by losing a year of NHL development. He played 63 game's in the AHL the previous year. Now he is going to start his rookie year with MAYBE two weeks of training camp thanks to the lockout and be forced to log a lot more minute's thanks to the Wings awful defense.

It was the wrong decision to play Smith in the AHL last year. I suspect Holland didn't suspect for one minute that Lidstrom was actually going to retire. It make's it easier to understand why this off season was so abysmal.

The "kid" is almost 24.

Last edited by WingedWheel1987: 11-17-2012 at 02:59 PM.
WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
He was ready last year. He got hurt by losing a year of NHL development. He played 63 game's in the AHL the previous year. Now he is going to start his rookie year with MAYBE two weeks of training camp thanks to the lockout and be forced to log a lot more minute's thanks to the Wings awful defense.

It was the wrong decision to play Smith in the AHL last year. I suspect Holland didn't suspect for one minute that Lidstrom was actually going to retire. It make's it easier to understand why this off season was so abysmal.

The "kid" is almost 24.
I think it is pretty much uncontroversial to suggest Holland completely screwed up last year with Smith. Babcock wanted him in Detroit and you don't have to blow a first round pick to bring back Kyle Quincey.

Harnessed in Slums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 04:41 AM
Fat Doctor

Val's recovery is on time, a little early maybe. I saw him last saturday after my own practise, he was on ice with Ben Eaves (yes Patrick's brother) and Teemu Henritius. I think he looked very good and I couldnt see any problems with his skating. Eaves is returning to lineup today, shouldnt take too long for Val either. Pic:

And if you guys are interested, here's his older brother Ilari's all the goal so far this season. He is dominating FEL at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAgAS_ekF3k

Fat Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:11 AM
Fat Doctor

Valtteri says he will be back in business against Blues, 8.1.

Fat Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 01:45 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
Are you new to this board?
How about Kyle Quincey, for one.
They guy who we let go to keep 47 year old Chelios even though Quincey showed he looked ready in his playoff stint.
And then we wasted a first round pick to get him back.
How about Jan Mursak for two.
How Did we really need Mike Modano two years ago? We really needed to resign Bertuzzi and Holmstrom for two years ... and to sign Modano?

If this season gets started this year...we're going to have to send Nyquist to the AHL unless we move someone or unless people stay injured all year.

Big deal, right?

If you ask me, right now, we have 3 AHL forwards who should already be on the team. Nyquist, Tatar and Andersson. Nyquist and Tatar should compete for top 9 roles and Andersson should be trying to win a 4th line job.

Nyquist is 23. Andersson is 23. Tatar is 21.

If those guys don't make it this year, now we're going to try to break them in next year? At 24, 24 and 22?

Oh, and right behind them you've got Jarnkrok, who will be 22 when next season starts. You;ve got Pulkkinen who should come over next season at 22.

If Ferraro finishes this season with 25 goals and 25 assists, shouldn't he get a look next year?

And we still haven't seen what Jan Mursak brings.

We didn't need to resign Mikeal Samuelsson this year. Especially not for 2 years. We didn't need to bring back Bertuzzi this year. Especially not for 2 years. And as much as I like Tootoo and what he brings, I think we could have went without him too.

Here's a lineup without Sammy and Bert
Nyqust Datsyuk Cleary
Flip Zetterberg Brunner
Tatar Helm Tootoo
Miller Abdelkader Mursak

RESERVE: Andersson/Eaves/Emmerton

Now if that looks young to you, imagine if Nyquist got all of last year in.and Mursak already had two full years in, like he should have..

Instead... perhaps only Nyquist will get a shot this year. And maybe none of them (thanks Gary Bettman).

Our farm system has never been more full than it is right now. And we're doing a bad job graduating guys into the NHL. Main reason is because we keep wasting spots on mediocre veterans.

------------------------------------
Bottom line is, introduce youth gradually or face a dramatic rebuild.

This isn't the 2002 Red Wings. Mikeal Samuelsson isn't Brett Hull or Luc Robitaille or Igor Larionov.
If there is one thing I have always agreed with you on, it is this.

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 01:59 PM
mizunox

Travis Zajac just got an 8 year 5.75 mil per year deal from the Devils.

His numbers are pretty close to that of Fil's.. is this what we can expect for Filppula as well? ...sounds like a lot!

mizunox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:04 PM
last_sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizunox View Post
Travis Zajac just got an 8 year 5.75 mil per year deal from the Devils.

His numbers are pretty close to that of Fil's.. is this what we can expect for Filppula as well? ...sounds like a lot!
As I posted on the other board.
Flippula doesn't have as much leverage as Zajac.
Zajac is their #1 center now and they don't have anyone else to take over if he leaves.

Flippula won't be #1 center for at least 2 more years (Z would be still #1).
Flippula's career high is based on him playing winger not a center.

Zajac means a lot more to the NJ than Flippula means to us.

last_sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:05 PM
mizunox

Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post
Zajac is their #1 center now and they don't have anyone else to take over if he leaves.

Thanks! I hope you are right.
I'd like to see him signed long term, just not for that amount.

mizunox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:15 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by last_sd View Post

I agree with that. And Zajac is from a neutral POV getting paid more than his services, but NJ fans seem thrilled.

Fil has a big half-season ahead where he'll be the star on his line and play at center. He'll be playing for the big bucks too, but ultimately I see his cap hit more in the Kronwall territory if he's re-signed. Right in the middle of Z and Mule $.

joe89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:31 PM
ricky0034

i've been expecting Filppula to get around 5 since last year anyways to be honest

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

I think ~$5m is totally reasonable for Filppula.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:55 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Is Filppula playing in Detroits season opener? I wanna pick him in my hockeypool

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:07 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Is Filppula playing in Detroits season opener? I wanna pick him in my hockeypool
Yes, centering the 2nd line.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote