HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

PSA: Center Ice 2013

Old
01-18-2013, 09:29 AM
nocturn

vCash: 500
PSA: Center Ice 2013

Posted this over at the other site but figured I'd share with my HF peeps.

Center Ice will be $59.96 on Direct TV for this short season. They're also running a "Free Preview" from 19th thru the 31st of this month. Ch. 769-785

http://www.directv.com/sports/nhl

I dont know what Dish/Comcast/Fios etc. are doing but I'm sure its on par with what DTV is doing. If anyone has any info on the other carriers, please post for others.

EDIT: Gamecenter $49.99 confirmed:

https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/sec...FdKd4Aod3EQA7w

Thats all. Now lets get this s**t started!

D-FEND! D-FEND! D-FEND!!!!

Last edited by nocturn: 01-18-2013 at 10:02 AM.
nocturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:31 AM
nocturn

Also, heard Game Center is $49.99 (confirmed).

Last edited by nocturn: 01-18-2013 at 10:04 AM. Reason: updated info.
Old
01-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Kings4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
Also, heard Game Center is only $40 but I havent confirmed it.
I think it's $49.99.

Does anyone have Comcast. I switched from Directv to Comcast this year to get Redzone for $5 a month instead of $299 year, now I'm a little nervous what their product is. They still haven't shown any pricing and I've heard rumors that they only show there games id SD. Any info would help. I may end up going to Game Center (but am worried a little about that possibly lagging as well).

Kings4thecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:52 AM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings4thecup View Post
I think it's $49.99.

Does anyone have Comcast. I switched from Directv to Comcast this year to get Redzone for $5 a month instead of $299 year, now I'm a little nervous what their product is. They still haven't shown any pricing and I've heard rumors that they only show there games id SD. Any info would help. I may end up going to Game Center (but am worried a little about that possibly lagging as well).
Yikes! Good luck with that. I HATE Comcast even though they're my Broadband carrier at home. Those fu**ers LIE their arses off for a buck. 6 years ago, those jagasses promised me that they were "going to have the Center Ice Package soon!" after they swooned me away from Dish. Well 3 years later, they still didnt have it and I left for DTV.

Being im in Virginia, the ONLY criteria I have for ANY carrier is that they carry CI. Thats it.

Seriously, Let me know how that Redzone thing works out for you though. I'm simi rual and only have a choice between Comcast and Sat carriers. Still no fios even though Verizon ALSO promised they would be availible in my area 4 years ago.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Yeah, Gamecenter is $50. I got it the other day. They just updated the Gamecenter app this morning so it now works on mobile devices for the 2013 season.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:01 AM
nocturn

Quote:
I think it's $49.99.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Yeah, Gamecenter is $50. I got it the other day. They just updated the Gamecenter app this morning so it now works on mobile devices for the 2013 season.
Yep. My bad. OP edited for quick ref.

Confirmed>>> https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/sec...FdKd4Aod3EQA7w

Old
01-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Kings4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturn View Post
Yikes! Good luck with that. I HATE Comcast even though they're my Broadband carrier at home. Those fu**ers LIE their arses off for a buck. 6 years ago, those jagasses promised me that they were "going to have the Center Ice Package soon!" after they swooned me away from Dish. Well 3 years later, they still didnt have it and I left for DTV.

Being im in Virginia, the ONLY criteria I have for ANY carrier is that they carry CI. Thats it.

Seriously, Let me know how that Redzone thing works out for you though. I'm simi rual and only have a choice between Comcast and Sat carriers. Still no fios even though Verizon ALSO promised they would be availible in my area 4 years ago.
I had AT&T Uverse for about a week and they were super liars. I ditched them right away, and even though I canceled them twice, they're still billing me.

As far as the Redzone, it was by far the best value, but the rest of Comcast is just ok. I left Comcast for Directv like 15 + years ago, because Comcast for so bad, but I figured they got their crap together by now, but I may be wrong. I figured the best time to try was now(October), because there was no hockey, and Directv would give the NFL to everyone except people that had Directv for 15 years. I have no contract with Comcast, so I figured I would just try them this year, and go back to Directv next year and get the free NFL in September, then be ready for CI back on Directv if I don't like Comcast.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:03 AM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I had AT&T Uverse for about a week and they were super liars. I ditched them right away, and even though I canceled them twice, they're still billing me.

As far as the Redzone, it was by far the best value, but the rest of Comcast is just ok. I left Comcast for Directv like 15 + years ago, because Comcast for so bad, but I figured they got their crap together by now, but I may be wrong. I figured the best time to try was now(October), because there was no hockey, and Directv would give the NFL to everyone except people that had Directv for 15 years. I have no contract with Comcast, so I figured I would just try them this year, and go back to Directv next year and get the free NFL in September, then be ready for CI back on Directv if I don't like Comcast.
The amount of HD games that are carried by Comcast is limited by the number of Center Ice HD channels that they have. I'm in the Seattle area and they only have 2 CI-HD channels, so I go with Gamecenter and stream from laptop to TV. I know Direct-TV has most of the games available in HD as they have 6 or 7 HD channels dedicated to CI.

To find out how many CI-HD channels you have, you can pull the channel listings for your area from the Comcast website or scroll through them on your TV.

Bottom line, if you have Direct-TV (I can't because no signal view for the dish) or if your local provider has 5+ channels dedicated to HD Center Ice feeds, then go with CI. If not, I'd go with Gamecenter.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 2400
Im debating between Center Ice and Game Center. If I buy Game Center for the PS3 can I watch it on my IPad,phone and Laptop as well? Also, do the blackout restrictions on Gamecenter go by your billing address or the actual location you are in? If I remember correctly, MLB uses your location now.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Quattro

grr - stinking U-Verse doesn't carry NHL Network or Center Ice

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
Im debating between Center Ice and Game Center. If I buy Game Center for the PS3 can I watch it on my IPad,phone and Laptop as well? Also, do the blackout restrictions on Gamecenter go by your billing address or the actual location you are in? If I remember correctly, MLB uses your location now.
Actual location, so a proxy can be quite handy, and yes it can be used on any device with a gamecenter application.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:52 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:
Actual location, so a proxy can be quite handy, and yes it can be used on any device with a gamecenter application.
Can you further explain this "proxy" for dumbasses like me.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:43 PM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
I know Direct-TV has most of the games available in HD as they have 6 or 7 HD channels dedicated to CI.
Other than a few, selected CBC or RDS feeds a season, If it's being shot in HD, Direct is showing it for all teams. Its been that way now for about 3 years or so.

Other than shutting the feeds off 5 seconds after the games end, Direct does a FANTASTIC job at CI.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kings Drummer View Post
Can you further explain this "proxy" for dumbasses like me.

A proxy uses another system as a relay. Meaning I can connect to a proxy in Amsterdam, and then use that proxy to connect to NHL Gamecenter, and NHL Gamecenter will think I am in Amsterdam and will not black out the game.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:13 PM
The Butcher
Gutless

Quote:

A proxy uses another system as a relay. Meaning I can connect to a proxy in Amsterdam, and then use that proxy to connect to NHL Gamecenter, and NHL Gamecenter will think I am in Amsterdam and will not black out the game.
Is there a way for me to set this up or is this most likely beyond my computer skill set?

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:46 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
I think it's $49.99.

I have Comcast. Last year, about 90% of Kings games were in HD. Not all of them used the LA broadcast though.

I expect that to change this year with the Cup and all.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:53 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kings Drummer View Post
Is there a way for me to set this up or is this most likely beyond my computer skill set?
The answer to any question can be found on google. Using a proxy is pretty simple, actually. One thing about proxies is they tend to slow down whatever you're watching dramatically, but I've heard that as long as you start watching through a proxy and then disable the proxy, it works well since Gamecenter only checks your IP at the beginning. Have no personal experience, however.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Kings4thecup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
I have Comcast. Last year, about 90% of Kings games were in HD. Not all of them used the LA broadcast though.

I expect that to change this year with the Cup and all.
What part of NA do you live? West coast? Hopefully they have a free week and I can feel it out.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:21 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

I used Center Ice on Direct TV last year and it worked nearly perfectly!

I got every Kings game in HD and was able to watch every game on the Kings feed (unless the game was on national tv)

I had one issue on a Kings-Blues game where the feed cut out during the shoot out but I turned it over to the Blues feed and finished watching the game. You can also just go directly to Fox Sports West and watch the game rather then find it on the Center Ice channels.

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:53 PM
Rod Buskas*

my Canadian brethren, whats the word on CI with Bell ?

Rod Buskas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:04 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
What part of NA do you live? West coast? Hopefully they have a free week and I can feel it out.
Colorado Springs

Old
01-19-2013, 07:23 AM
nocturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKingsFan View Post
I used Center Ice on Direct TV last year and it worked nearly perfectly!

I got every Kings game in HD and was able to watch every game on the Kings feed (unless the game was on national tv)

I had one issue on a Kings-Blues game where the feed cut out during the shoot out but I turned it over to the Blues feed and finished watching the game. You can also just go directly to Fox Sports West and watch the game rather then find it on the Center Ice channels.
Concur. Every Kings game I watched last season on DTV's CI package was in 1080i/p....EVERY.

I remember a few shootout or OT games being "shut off" early the past few seasons. Whomever mans the "button" for DTV is quick to flip the switch sometimes. I'd say about 1 out of every 30 games (all teams/feeds) gets the hook prematurely. But like you said, I just flip to the oppositions feed.

Gotta love how DTV carries BOTH feeds as often as possible. Out of all the carriers I've had since CI started (2005?), DTV is BY FAR the best and most consistent.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:38 AM
nocturn

Direct TV Peeps:

Center Ice is up for purchase through your Account Settings>My Programming.

If you're under "auto enrollment", it should have automatically enrolled you this morning.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:00 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Buskas View Post
my Canadian brethren, whats the word on CI with Bell ?
Not sure about Bell, but I have Shaw Cable and it is $49.99 for the season (apparently it is the same price on Shaw Direct). I actually picked it up, usually I can't afford it but this season I can. I'm assuming Bell would be the same price.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 06:57 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

I f***ing hate Comcast's Center Ice. Still only showing two channels per night in HD.

Once again, Kings are relegated to Game8 tonight and only showing in SD.