HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
The Leafs didn't ask for a gift, they offered what they could afford...got turned down and have moved on. Now your GM and alot of your fanbase are acting like a jilted lover because we won't sell the farm.

Get over yourself LL. No one is acting like anything. Our GM is acting like a jilted lover? Please. Why even make a statement like that?

What's Burke acting like?

This thing has devolved big time. If we go by what Gallagher has said, Gillis's price was actually met at the draft and it was Luongo who told him to hold off. Is that on Gillis? The fact is, we simply don't know what has transpired behind the scenes. Maybe Kadri + Bozak + 2nd is the asking price, maybe it's the TOR offer, we don't know. Maybe Kadri + Gardiner is being insisted upon?

That's what happens when you have the TOR media going full bore on the speculation, they rile everyone up, and they really don't have a clue. They're guessing like everyone else.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:10 PM
sirlaxalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
And he's still the worst goalie that will play on opening night.

Worst goaltending in the NHL over the last 5 years and the answer is Ben Scrivens? What a pitiful offseason for Burke and co. Forget Luongo, at least get Dan Cloutier on a PTO.
cloutier is under contract to the canucks,so nonis would still have to deal with gillis.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Get over yourself LL. No one is acting like anything. Our GM is acting like a jilted lover? Please. Why even make a statement like that?

This thing has devolved big time. If we go by what Gallagher has said, Gillis's price was actually met at the draft and it was Luongo who told him to hold off. Is that on Gillis? The fact is, we simply don't know what has transpired behind the scenes. Maybe Kadri + Bozak + 2nd is the asking price, maybe it's the TOR offer, we don't know. Maybe Kadri + Gardiner is being insisted upon?

That's what happens when you have the TOR media going full bore on the speculation, they rile everyone up, and they really don't have a clue. They're guessing like everyone else.
My jilted lover comment stems from the fact that although multiple GM's including Tallon said price was to high...Gillis goes off on TO only.

I will say this, IF a deal was done for Gillis' price and Luongo nixed it...lol. That and your views that TO's media is bogus but Gallager is gold.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Crows*

If leaf fans stopped attending games and made ownership worry then they would build a team the right way.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:23 PM
miked1101

vCash: 198
Quote:
My jilted lover comment stems from the fact that although multiple GM's including Tallon said price was to high...Gillis goes off on TO only.

I will say this, IF a deal was done for Gillis' price and Luongo nixed it...lol. That and your views that TO's media is bogus but Gallager is gold.
That's because Florida isn't a big circus like Toronto.

Lol Luongo wouldn't waive his NTC to go to Toronto? Get used to it. Doubt he's the first player not wanting to go to Toronto, won't be the last either.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:23 PM
racerjoe

I am going to say this, I think TO is making the right choice by not going with Lu. I see them missing the playoffs this season, but probably getting one of Ott goalies, maybe Anderson who would fit perfectly.

So Leaf fans best of luck to you.

For us, I gotta think we are taking this to the summer, and I really see Philly becoming a player. This makes me happy.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
I will say this, IF a deal was done for Gillis' price and Luongo nixed it...lol.
Is it really funny knowing another high profile player wants nothing to do with Toronto? That's kind of why the Leafs have been the laughing stock of the league for the last decade...

It would be more depressing than anything.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
I am going to say this, I think TO is making the right choice by not going with Lu. I see them missing the playoffs this season, but probably getting one of Ott goalies, maybe Anderson who would fit perfectly.

So Leaf fans best of luck to you.

For us, I gotta think we are taking this to the summer, and I really see Philly becoming a player. This makes me happy.
My hope is Bryz is awful

Old
01-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

Gillis is going off on TO media because they have been editorializing on this trade to no end. It's been the hot topic of discussion every time out. What's more, you get the distinct impression that they are trying to lower value through putting forth a perception. It's hack "reporting", and he called them on it.

Gallagher is much more reliable than any TOR media for _VAN_ issues. Hands down. He's connected. He called the Hodgson issues well before they ever became public. Like him or not, he knows this team. The TOR media pales in comparison for _VAN_ related issues.

I didn't say a deal was done at Gillis's _price_, I said that it was done but it was delayed.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:40 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

poor luongo

Old
01-18-2013, 08:46 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Is it really funny knowing another high profile player wants nothing to do with Toronto? That's kind of why the Leafs have been the laughing stock of the league for the last decade...

It would be more depressing than anything.
No, what is funny is the thought that a deal was done for Gillis' price...got shot down, and you are left with no other offer. Am i bothered he snubbed TO...sure. Am i bothered the deal at that price didn't happen...Hell no.

One more question for Bleach, if we are to believe Galager...does that make Luongo dishonest when he continually says "Mike has not approached me with anything"?

Old
01-18-2013, 08:46 PM
ProstheticConscience
WITNESS ME!!!!!!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretiak 20 View Post
HFBoards search says 79.

Keyword: Luongo (Titles Only)
At least 950 replies
Comes up with 79 results.

EDIT: The original search included threads from when he got traded from FLA to VAN. Added new search term of threads 2 years and newer and came up with 77 results.
I lost count somewhere in the 40's. What really kills me is how it's the same 25-30 people having the same arguments over and over ad nauseum.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:48 PM
seanlinden

Honestly... I'm not sure why you guys are still bickering over this... it's over. Luongo's a Canuck for the season, and then they'll have to try to get rid of him in the cap crunch year. He's not the kind of player who's going to get traded mid-season... too big a contract. Toronto doesn't have anything useful to give up anymore, and they were the best trade partner. It's clear, that they're going with youth under Dave Nonis.

The fact is -- both GMs horribly misplayed the situation here.

On the Vancouver side, Luongo's capable of being a #1 goalie in this league (most would probably agree on top 10), and if the team isn't going to use him as the #1, he should've been traded. There should've been room for a deal, or series of deals, to be made that allows Vancouver to become a better team in the immediate as a result. Gillis overplayed his hand, got greedy, and he's lost out on value because of it.

On the Toronto side, Burke toyed with the idea of Luongo all summer, and either overestimated Gillis' knowledge of when to take the deal, or had management above him decide to change directions before the mutually beneficial solution could come. Either way, he's done equally as poor a job in this situation, putting the team in a position where it's Luongo or nobody. He completely failed to address the shortcomings of his team from last year going into the lockout... whether he would've done that, we'll never know.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:49 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Gillis is going off on TO media because they have been editorializing on this trade to no end. It's been the hot topic of discussion every time out. What's more, you get the distinct impression that they are trying to lower value through putting forth a perception. It's hack "reporting", and he called them on it.

Gallagher is much more reliable than any TOR media for _VAN_ issues. Hands down. He's connected. He called the Hodgson issues well before they ever became public. Like him or not, he knows this team. The TOR media pales in comparison for _VAN_ related issues.

I didn't say a deal was done at Gillis's _price_, I said that it was done but it was delayed.
Read your post again. You said "Galager reported Gillis'price was met at the draft".

Old
01-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
No, what is funny is the thought that a deal was done for Gillis' price...got shot down, and you are left with no other offer. Am i bothered he snubbed TO...sure. Am i bothered the deal at that price didn't happen...Hell no.

So you think Burke and Nonis agreed to move Gardiner, 5th overall, Bozak and Frattin for Luongo?

I would cry myself to sleep knowing the GM of my team was Burke's right hand man when that deal was agreed upon. Talk about having no confidence in the guy that likely gets 5 years to take the Leafs further into the abyss.

Never mind there's still a chance Gillis refuses to move Luongo to Florida, threaten to waive him and force him into accepting the move to the Leafs. Then the Canucks come out of this with Rielly, Gardiner, Bozak and Frattin and Toronto gets a player that wants no part of the organization.

Any way you look it, not good at all from the perspective of a Leaf fan.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Crows*

Between Burke and Nonis eye only guy to aquire an elite goalie was Nonis. Burke is just not good at it

Old
01-18-2013, 08:57 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
Wasn't there some kind of rumour about a Luongo-Nash trade?

If Luongo would refuse any team, it would probably be Columbus. Of course, there's also the chance Nash might not want to play in Vancouver.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:58 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

One more question for Bleach, if we are to believe Galager...does that make Luongo dishonest when he continually says "Mike has not approached me with anything"?

How do you know there are no other offers on the table?

Yes, it does make Luongo dishonest. But what's worse for Luongo? Coming out and saying he nixed a trade to TOR or playing it off like he doesn't know anything? If Luongo comes out and says it's FLA or bust, what does that do to Gillis's negotiating position with Tallon? So the choice becomes to say something and weaken their position or say nothing and let Gillis work. Easy call IMO.

Quote:
Read your post again. You said "Galager reported Gillis'price was met at the draft".

I don't want that related to the 5th overall + Gardiner + Frattin + Bozak asking price, is what I'm saying. Meant to say a deal was consummated between the two parties, for whatever it was, but was delayed due to Luongo. So that's not on Gillis. This asking price being too high narrative is directly addressed by Gallagher here.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
So you think Burke and Nonis agreed to move Gardiner, 5th overall, Bozak and Frattin for Luongo?

I would cry myself to sleep knowing the GM of my team was Burke's right hand man when that deal was agreed upon. Talk about having no confidence in the guy that likely gets 5 years to take the Leafs further into the abyss.

Never mind there's still a chance Gillis refuses to move Luongo to Florida, threaten to waive him and force him into accepting the move to the Leafs. Then the Canucks come out of this with Rielly, Gardiner, Bozak and Frattin and Toronto gets a player that wants no part of the organization.

Any way you look it, not good at all from the perspective of a Leaf fan.
No, i don't agree a deal was done. I was responding to Bleach's post that said Gallager reported a deal was done at Gillis'price. I would lose sleep if i thought the Leafs would do that. Just as a Nuck's fan should be pissed if that deal was nixed only to be in this position now.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:

The problem with this story is that the 'deal' with Toronto would have been in place for a long time even if Gillis initially turned it down. It would have been a standing offer until Burke finally gave up and sold him for JVR.

The Schenn deal was still there long after Florida went out and got Clemmenson to back up Theodore as a statement. Long after it was obvious Florida was out of the question.

In other words, a story is being fabricated now to save Gillis from looking like a fool. Its crap and few are going to buy it. Nobody has even come CLOSE to Gillis' asking price.

Luke Schenn does not help the Canucks right now , and he is a 4 mil dollar guy who has not developed fully yet. Gillis wants guys to help the canucks now. He is being completely unrealistic about Luongo's worth to other teams.

He was apparently offered Schenn at the draft by Burke and Gillis turned him down. It was NOT due to Luongo. He turned it down because it wasnt enough. Regardless of whether Luongo wanted to waive or not.

Gillis would have already long knew who Luongo would waive to go to. He had 6 weeks fromm his trade demand to the draft. So either he was USING Burke to start a bidding war or Luongo was willing to waive and the deal wasnt acceptable.

Now, its true Luongo opening his fat yap and demanding a trade hampered Gillis' ability to move him, but Gillis has hung on too long and overestimated the market for him.

He means far more to us Canuck fans than he does in trade value to other teams. We need to trade Schneider and keep Luongo and then let Eddie Lack take over eventually.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:03 PM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I find myself agreeing with what you're saying. An Edmonton style rebuild is a tough thing to go through, but at least you can look towards the future. I don't envy the position you guys are in, so good luck. Who knows, roles might be reversed in a little while once the Sedins retire

Greeeeeaaaaattt saaaaaavvveee Luongo
You know what's worse than an Edmonton style rebuild? A CBJ/NYI/FLA style rebuild... The Oilers model doesn't necessarily work and still may not work for them.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:11 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
The problem with this story is that the 'deal' with Toronto would have been in place for a long time even if Gillis initially turned it down. It would have been a standing offer until Burke finally gave up and sold him for JVR.

The Schenn deal was still there long after Florida went out and got Clemmenson to back up Theodore as a statement. Long after it was obvious Florida was out of the question.

In other words, a story is being fabricated now to save Gillis from looking like a fool. Its crap and few are going to buy it. Nobody has even come CLOSE to Gillis' asking price.

Luke Schenn does not help the Canucks right now , and he is a 4 mil dollar guy who has not developed fully yet. Gillis wants guys to help the canucks now. He is being completely unrealistic about Luongo's worth to other teams.

He was apparently offered Schenn at the draft by Burke and Gillis turned him down. It was NOT due to Luongo. He turned it down because it wasnt enough. Regardless of whether Luongo wanted to waive or not.

Gillis would have already long knew who Luongo would waive to go to. He had 6 weeks fromm his trade demand to the draft. So either he was USING Burke to start a bidding war or Luongo was willing to waive and the deal wasnt acceptable.

Now, its true Luongo opening his fat yap and demanding a trade hampered Gillis' ability to move him, but Gillis has hung on too long and overestimated the market for him.

He means far more to us Canuck fans than he does in trade value to other teams. We need to trade Schneider and keep Luongo and then let Eddie Lack take over eventually.
I'm curious how you know all these "facts"

Old
01-18-2013, 09:17 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
I'm curious how you know all these "facts"
The simple fact is... Gillis has a goalie that is going to horribly underutilized this year.

He has that goalie, because he was either incapable of evaluating the market, and refused to trade him for fair market value. The team that seemed to be most interest, just made a very clear commitment to youth. Everything else, is just white noise.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:19 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
The simple fact is... Gillis has a goalie that is going to horribly underutilized this year.

He has that goalie, because he was either incapable of evaluating the market, and refused to trade him for fair market value. The team that seemed to be most interest, just made a very clear commitment to youth. Everything else, is just white noise.
Really?? Is that what you think? In a shortened season he is going to be under utilized so he should have sent him for future UFA Bozak?

Old
01-18-2013, 09:23 PM
Rude Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
1 decent 2nd liner and a pick is a mountain of a value for an all-star goalie with a bad contract?

Drastically unproven goalies are going for multiple top 3 round picks...
Yeah..but eventually that pick has a name. And everyone on these boards loves to remind us about Seguin and Hamilton (like it's a news flash). I think Nuck fans just want in on that action.

The other big issue here which is constantly over looked...is why should us Leaf fans want to give up a lung for a player who openly suggests he doesn't even want to be a Leaf? Screw Lu. I hope he enjoys his time on the bench or the beach. I'd rather build a team with players that look forward to the challenge of making this team good again.

Closed Thread