HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Getzlaf: "Anaheim first option"

Old
01-18-2013, 08:15 PM
NEWFowler
hi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Think the guy I named my account after said the same thing...
Yeah, but not all players are ****ing **********

NEWFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

I think Getzlaf stays and Perry leaves for a HUGE contract.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:20 PM
Getz2perry

Everyone knows Perry and Getzlaf are taking their talents to south beach.

Getz2perry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:21 PM
General Granny*

Isn't Ottawa closer to Perry's hometown than Toronto?

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:25 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan20 View Post
I think Getzlaf stays and Perry leaves for a HUGE contract.
How huge?

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:29 PM
zeus3007*

Players always say that. It means nothing. If Anaheim plays awful this year, why would Getzlaf stay?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:30 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
How huge?
I wouldn't be upset if the Wings offered him 7 and 56 million dollars. Back load a couple years so he doesn't have to worry about escrow. This is one of the rare occasions I would be fine with the Wings green lighting Franzen's buyout to make that happen. Ilitch could probably do it no problem.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Isn't Ottawa closer to Perry's hometown than Toronto?
I think his hometown is London, Ontario. Toronto is two hours away, Ottawa is over 6 hours away.

Even Peterborough, his place of birth, is closer to Toronto as well.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:37 PM
pbgoalie

Is Getz going to sign somewhere he can be close to Burke's family?
Toronto was close

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:44 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I think his hometown is London, Ontario. Toronto is two hours away, Ottawa is over 6 hours away.

Even Peterborough, his place of birth, is closer to Toronto as well.
Detroit is about that close as well. Of course Perry and Getzlaf have never been big fans of the Wings. I hope it happens but it would be strange even as a Wings fan to see them in that jersey for the first little bit no matter how happy I was it would look quite odd.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:47 PM
SoCalHockey

lol just reading this thread reminds me how easy it is to hate a player not on your team but secretly wish he were. Perry, and Getzlaf to some extent, fit that to a T it would seem.

SoCalHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:49 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
How huge?
$7-7.5m/yr huge.

StarsFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Getz2perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Players always say that. It means nothing. If Anaheim plays awful this year, why would Getzlaf stay?
He already has a cup so i dont think thats really a priority... playing in a place where he is comfortable, for an organization who treats him well, and for a team that has enough good young players to not have to go to a full rebuild.

Plus nothing really points to anaheim having a bad year this season, they had the 3rd best record in the 2nd half of the season, Our pp wasnt great which we brought in souray, and in the dzone we played small and didnt clear the net well enough, enter allen, we improved in all of our weaknesses, plus hiller should be fullly healed and we have what should be a capable backup to give hiller a night off here and there.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Getz2perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Detroit is about that close as well. Of course Perry and Getzlaf have never been big fans of the Wings. I hope it happens but it would be strange even as a Wings fan to see them in that jersey for the first little bit no matter how happy I was it would look quite odd.
Perry is the kind of player opposing teams will hate, but if he ever puts your team sweater on youll absolutely love him. Detroit fans/players prob hate perry the most in the league.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
And I imagine Detroit is a lot more enticing a destination than Toronto, for other reasons.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
And you're vastly overrating how attached someone is to where they grew up.
I never said it was going to happen, but it's not some impossible joke as you suggest. My father moved back to Michigan after over 35 years in southern California to be closer to his parents as they got older. There are many reasons for someone to want to move back home, not just nostalgia for their old playground. You can bet all your marbles that if Getzlaf's wife really wants it, it would happen.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:56 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHockey View Post
lol just reading this thread reminds me how easy it is to hate a player not on your team but secretly wish he were. Perry, and Getzlaf to some extent, fit that to a T it would seem.
They always have, I have always respected their talent but I know large portions of the Wings fanbase used to say terrible things about them. For me they always have been a case of they are who they are. But of course you should want them on your team.

Just be ready for the fact they are poor losers, not the worst quality in pro athlete and funny how people seem completely bent out of shape over it. Really the difference between them and the glamour boy Penguins is when the Ducks big guns do it they look scary as hell and good at it. But frustration running over is seen in a lot of teams throughout the league, somehow these guys get tagged with it the worst. Remember being stunned when people actually would openly write I don't know that I want Perry on the Olympic team. Crazy talk if you're being honest, you have to be crazy not to want these two on any team.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:00 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz2perry View Post
Plus nothing really points to anaheim having a bad year this season, they had the 3rd best record in the 2nd half of the season, Our pp wasnt great which we brought in souray, and in the dzone we played small and didnt clear the net well enough, enter allen, we improved in all of our weaknesses, plus hiller should be fullly healed and we have what should be a capable backup to give hiller a night off here and there.
I have been saying for a while and of the course the short season makes it a crapshoot, but that I thought the Ducks were similar to the Devils of last season. If Hiller is right this is a very underrated team. Not two seasons ago they entered the playoffs on a good tear and were a sexy pick to do tons of damage. The wheels fell of last year but there is some talent in Anaheim if everyone pulls their weight they could be a playoff team and with the big guys they have easily take a round.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
I never said it was going to happen, but it's not some impossible joke as you suggest. My father moved back to Michigan after over 35 years in southern California to be closer to his parents as they got older. There are many reasons for someone to want to move back home, not just nostalgia for their old playground. You can bet all your marbles that if Getzlaf's wife really wants it, it would happen.
I didn't suggest that it was an impossible joke.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Perry's already getting mad at the media for bringing up his contract situation, does that sound like a guy who wants to go to a high-profile market? He very well could, but he strikes me as the type of introvert who likes the anonymity.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:02 PM
Getz2perry

Quote:
They always have, I have always respected their talent but I know large portions of the Wings fanbase used to say terrible things about them. For me they always have been a case of they are who they are. But of course you should want them on your team.

Just be ready for the fact they are poor losers, not the worst quality in pro athlete and funny how people seem completely bent out of shape over it. Really the difference between them and the glamour boy Penguins is when the Ducks big guns do it they look scary as hell and good at it. But frustration running over is seen in a lot of teams throughout the league, somehow these guys get tagged with it the worst. Remember being stunned when people actually would openly write I don't know that I want Perry on the Olympic team. Crazy talk if you're being honest, you have to be crazy not to want these two on any team.
I'll be the first to admit perry and getz have that if you cant beat them, beat them mentality... they may go a lil far in games that are not going their way, but i enjoy it personally.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:07 PM
seanlinden

The way I see it, Anaheim is Getzlaf's first option... as long as Corey Perry is there.

Realistically, if Anaheim wants to keep either of these guys, they've gotta find a way to afford both. Anaheim isn't a particularly good team, and the biggest advantage they're going to have in trying to resign these guys, is that they've got combined salaries and cap hits of about $11m this year. To get both, you're probably looking at $14-16m next year, and chances are, there isn't going to be any other team that's in a position to make that kind of commitment to 2 new players.

Having both come up as UFAs is probably not the worst situation either.... it forces the Ducks to make a choice -- either spend with the big boys and try to win another cup, or go full-on rebuild. If they split these two up at the deadline, they're going to rapidly accelerate their rebuild.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Parise said the same thing, several times.

Hope Getzlaf actually means it.

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:13 PM
rune74

And here I thought these two were going to toronto!

rune74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
The way I see it, Anaheim is Getzlaf's first option... as long as Corey Perry is there.

Realistically, if Anaheim wants to keep either of these guys, they've gotta find a way to afford both. Anaheim isn't a particularly good team, and the biggest advantage they're going to have in trying to resign these guys, is that they've got combined salaries and cap hits of about $11m this year. To get both, you're probably looking at $14-16m next year, and chances are, there isn't going to be any other team that's in a position to make that kind of commitment to 2 new players.

Having both come up as UFAs is probably not the worst situation either.... it forces the Ducks to make a choice -- either spend with the big boys and try to win another cup, or go full-on rebuild. If they split these two up at the deadline, they're going to rapidly accelerate their rebuild.
Adding some fuel to the inevitable fire, Toronto will be.