HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Penguins 2013 (and beyond) lineup discussion | Contract chart in Post #1

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 08:07 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
That's Brooks Orpik/Deryk Engelland's job.
It is. Let me know when one of them does it.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:11 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
I wouldn't be thrilled at shelling out the $6 million-plus offer sheet Subban apparently is looking for, never mind going the other route and trading assets just to land his rights.

Because of the cap space saved from the Staal and Michalek trades, Shero will have the most (short-term) financial flexibility since he made the Hossa deal, which is coming up on five (!) years ago. Rather than rush into a big deal, I'd like to see them play a few months here and see what they have and then make trades accordingly at or near the deadline.
1. I wouldn't give Subban 6M either, and apparently we're not alone. I think the situation with him is like Weber. Only way you're getting him is through a trade.

2. Shero has a **** load of flexibility. In terms of prorated space, I think he can add something like 15M in salary ( I thought more before, but I think it's like 15M at the deadline). He's got so many assets that he could add a guy like Iginla, a guy like Kulemin, and a playoff defenseman (a 3/4 guy) AND still have more than half of his premium trade assets left over. The real question is whether he'll go for it, because he hasn't been in this type of cap position since 2008, and he's never had this much to work with in terms of assets he'd conceivably move in a deal.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Clowe is the guy Shero should target in a trade. The right age, the right game, the right salary level... and a team that will probably be looking to shake up their roster a bit if they're not kicking ass in the WC.
Not sure about salary level. A guy who plays in the top six AND can fight? He's going to get P.A.I.D.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:25 PM
RayPayys

Anyone surprised Petr Sykora hasn't been signed? I know he's 36, but he did play all 82 and had 21 goals last year ..

Old
01-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Wes C Addle
Mookie Blaylock

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Shero has a **** load of flexibility. In terms of prorated space, I think he can add something like 15M in salary ( I thought more before, but I think it's like 15M at the deadline). He's got so many assets that he could add a guy like Iginla, a guy like Kulemin, and a playoff defenseman (a 3/4 guy) AND still have more than half of his premium trade assets left over. The real question is whether he'll go for it, because he hasn't been in this type of cap position since 2008, and he's never had this much to work with in terms of assets he'd conceivably move in a deal.
I think you're spot on about this. And the bolded truly is very intriguing come the deadline. We have the cap space and the assets to make a big move. Can't wait to find out

Old
01-18-2013, 11:42 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

It would seem that Despres is here to stay:

Quote:
There were reports that Despres did not play quite up to the Penguins' expectations the first half of the season in Wilkes-Barre. Bylsma nixed any notion that Despres, 21, is on the roster in an unofficial extended training camp-type move.
"It's not to take a look at him; it's not to give it a try," Bylsma said. "He's played 18 games in the National Hockey League. We've taken a look at Simon in those games."
Looks like BB could be on the very short list to be called up:

Quote:
Bylsma on 2010 first-round pick Beau Bennett, a first-year pro who was assigned Thursday to Wilkes-Barre: "He's probably further along than I anticipated." Bylsma said the expectation is that Bennett will be a big-impact player in the AHL. ...
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2IOfwAuFk

Old
01-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Ugene Malkin
****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post

Good to hear on both accounts.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:58 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
1. I wouldn't give Subban 6M either, and apparently we're not alone. I think the situation with him is like Weber. Only way you're getting him is through a trade.

2. Shero has a **** load of flexibility. In terms of prorated space, I think he can add something like 15M in salary ( I thought more before, but I think it's like 15M at the deadline). He's got so many assets that he could add a guy like Iginla, a guy like Kulemin, and a playoff defenseman (a 3/4 guy) AND still have more than half of his premium trade assets left over. The real question is whether he'll go for it, because he hasn't been in this type of cap position since 2008, and he's never had this much to work with in terms of assets he'd conceivably move in a deal.
Kirk, I know you've been critical of Shero for standing pat around the deadline last season. Which is fair. But I still feel like that was the exception and not the rule.

Rather than get into a debate about what constitutes a "risk-taking" move by the front office in the past few years, I think we can both agree that this spring will be a critical juncture for Shero in how he sets up the team for a run at the Cup *this year.* With cap space to spare and other teams having to worry about the cap ceiling drop next season, it's a prime opportunity to make some deals and put this team in the best position to succeed in the playoffs.

I'll be right there with you if Shero, Botterill and company aren't able to take advantage of the situation. For the time being, I still think they'll be able to do it.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:00 AM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPayys View Post
Anyone surprised Petr Sykora hasn't been signed? I know he's 36, but he did play all 82 and had 21 goals last year ..
I doubt there's a spot for him here if that's what you're thinking.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:58 AM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Once we let Strait go, I sort of figured
Quote:

This makes sense with waivers as well. The kid is good, but he's not quite Force Management to Waive Somebody good. Someone will get hurt and he'll have his chance I think.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Once we let Strait go, I sort of figured

This makes sense with waivers as well. The kid is good, but he's not quite Force Management to Waive Somebody good. Someone will get hurt and he'll have his chance I think.
He's good enough to Force Management to Waive Lovejoy good, but then again so was Strait.

But, I digress.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:36 AM
JTG

If Bennett, Despres, and Bortuzzo make the team, will the "Shero cannot draft or develop talent" **** be put to bed once and for all?

Old
01-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Tangradi - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy/Dupuis

Just looks so good on paper if the kids develop. What a great potential mix.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayPayys View Post
Surprised yes, Devils should sign him they have rosters spots and have plenty of cap space

Old
01-19-2013, 02:05 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
It is. Let me know when one of them does it.
I though he meant playing physical against Giroux. Settle down, bud.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:20 PM
AgentM

Seeing guys at or near 40 play as well as Jagr and Ray Whitney year in and year out really makes me think Iginla could be a 4 or 5 year guy here. He works hard enough that I really doubt he's just fall off the edge in tomorrow in terms of production. Man I hope he decides its time to move on from Calgary to chase a Cup!

Old
01-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Seeing guys at or near 40 play as well as Jagr and Ray Whitney year in and year out really makes me think Iginla could be a 4 or 5 year guy here. He works hard enough that I really doubt he's just fall off the edge in tomorrow in terms of production. Man I hope he decides its time to move on from Calgary to chase a Cup!
Dude, it is not happening.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:52 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Dude, it is not happening.
Of course it's not. That doesn't mean we can't hope.

Everyone knows Feaster won't move him voluntarily. Everyone knows Iginla is a stand up guy who loves Calgary. BUT, Iginla also wants to win a cup, and he may decide that Calgary really won't be able to compete for another 2, 3 or even 4 years.

BTW, if memory serves, Ray Bourque was never leaving Boston.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Mr. T

Quote:
Of course it's not. That doesn't mean we can't hope.

Everyone knows Feaster won't move him voluntarily. Everyone knows Iginla is a stand up guy who loves Calgary. BUT, Iginla also wants to win a cup, and he may decide that Calgary really won't be able to compete for another 2, 3 or even 4 years.

BTW, if memory serves, Ray Bourque was never leaving Boston.
Calgary's management thinks they can win with this lineup. I'm not sure why, though.

If they stink and decide to do a rebuild (and Iginla asks to be moved) we'd be ideal trading partners. Outside of Wotherspoon, Calgary has nothing in the way of quality defense prospects.

Still a pipe dream at this point, but I'd probably crap my pants if we acquired him.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:18 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Calgary's management thinks they can win with this lineup. I'm not sure why, though.

If they stink and decide to do a rebuild (and Iginla asks to be moved) we'd be ideal trading partners. Outside of Wotherspoon, Calgary has nothing in the way of quality defense prospects.

Still a pipe dream at this point, but I'd probably crap my pants if we acquired him.
Of course. I don't think anyone here, even the biggest proponents of trying to get Iginla, think it's anything but the most remote possibility.

And, in the end, for it to be more, what matters is whether Iginla thinks they can win a cup in the next few years, not Calgary's management. If he decides that the unequivocal answer is 'no', then I think it's 50-50 whether he tells Feaster that he'd be open to being traded (which is how the ball gets rolling).

IF that happens-- and, Jags, everyone knows that's a big IF-- then the Pens are an ideal partner in terms of how the assets match up (as noted before, Calgary was the other team at the draft that loved Pouliot as much as Shero did, so I'm sure he will be the big target).

Old
01-20-2013, 12:34 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

New thread is up.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=57938873

Closed Thread