HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

A question about going to a new market [mod: viability of Saskatoon for a NHL team]

Old
01-18-2013, 03:13 PM
WWAD

vCash: 500
If I was a billionaire with money to spend on a hockey franchise, Saskatoon isn't even on the radar. There are too many other cities available with much higher possible upsides for revenue and profitability.

Are there any local billionaires with deep ties to the area? That, along with a tripling of the population is the only way I can see this happening.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:30 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

3 factors you need to look at

1) gate receipts (people within a 100-150 miles to the arena)

2) tv market size (tv packages, more tv sets, more money)

3). Corporate support (luxury suites, ad revenue)

All three are critical

superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:49 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror View Post

I am talking about Saskatchewan.

Granted, Sask would end up being the smallest market, but how would that mean they will be worse than some certain existing markets that is bleeding money year after year and people are fighting tooth and nail to convince others that these teams should stay in those markets, and LOL'ed at the idea of Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan may be a small market, but they are booming, growing fast, and have a extremely strong hockey community there and they do have large corporations.

"
agreed, as long as there is an owner willing to lose cashmoney some seasons. it couldnt be worse than some certain markets.

edit: definitely a relocation destination city though.

Ryan34222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:52 PM
Ryan34222

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
3 factors you need to look at

1) gate receipts (people within a 100-150 miles to the arena)

2) tv market size (tv packages, more tv sets, more money)

3). Corporate support (luxury suites, ad revenue)

All three are critical
if i could bump all those down one spot and add this..

1) actual hockey fans

Ryan34222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Cirris

Send a message via Yahoo to Cirris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
They also have the city of Milwakuee to draw fans from and used to play half of their home games there
Really Green Bay Packers are Wisconsin's team. Heck, I'm sure they have plenty of support in neighboring states too.

Cirris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
In the way of fan interest, it would easily be equal to Edmonton/Winnepeg in the way of interested fan to population ratio
You are from Edmudton. There is no excuse for that spelling.

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:40 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
You are from Edmudton. There is no excuse for that spelling.
For some reason, my entire childhood I would spell it like that, when I'm in a hurry, sometimes old habbits come back, my bad.

Diamondillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

I don't think Saskatoon is going to have trouble attracting fans.

But they will have trouble attracting corporate sponsors. That's essential to have for major leagues.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:34 PM
Glacial

It would be cool for them to have a team (Saskatchewan Sasquatches has a nice ring to it. It might take up half a shirt too) but the problem is their population is really low. Saskatchewan & Saskatoon, if they want a NHL team, they need to plan for growing enough to hit the required population threshold, which means attracting enough people, building enough homes & apartments, etc for that, which requires developing commerce & industry further there. They may be 15-20 years off from getting a team even with strong growth.

Green Bay, as noted, NFL has very different dynamics due to a shortened season, games usually on Sunday (usually day off, lowest traffic on roads), and a lot of hype (baseball is America's pasttime, but football has become it's present-time), and they established being in Green Bay as a tradition. Packers, Bears, and Cardinals are the oldest teams in the NFL, though the Cardinals kind of lost that recognition due to being in their 3rd city since being founded. What works for football won't necessarily work for hockey/basketball or baseball. Those factors work in the Packers' favor, and they play in a region that really takes to football and has some strong rivalries (NFC North: Vikings, Packers, Bears, Lions). One would think Saskatoon would take to NHL hockey very well, so I don't think that would be an issue, it's just filling up the building during the season.

Glacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:57 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
It would be cool for them to have a team (Saskatchewan Sasquatches has a nice ring to it. It might take up half a shirt too) but the problem is their population is really low. Saskatchewan & Saskatoon, if they want a NHL team, they need to plan for growing enough to hit the required population threshold, which means attracting enough people, building enough homes & apartments, etc for that, which requires developing commerce & industry further there. They may be 15-20 years off from getting a team even with strong growth.
It's gotta be green, homes: Saskatoon Greenriders ftw!

DyerMaker66 is online now   Reply With Quote