HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Sign Wade Redden (1 year, $800K)

Old
01-18-2013, 02:27 PM
Honeycutt

vCash: 500
Hitch sounds pretty excited in his interview to have Redden. LETS GO BLUES!!

Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Corn Baller

I guess I'm still not sure I understand why this is being viewed as anything more than a depth signing that gives Hitch more options.

I think it's less of a referendum on our top 6 than an indication that Hitch wanted something better than Woywitka, Fairchild and Chorney.

Corn Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:37 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I don't doubt that you read it, but I would think the context would have been completely ripped out of the statement you read.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Hitchcock commented on the fact that it is far from ideal to be throwing a player with such little NHL experience in against the top lines. That is a lot to ask of a player and you are never sure if they are ready until they show it.

There is no way in the world I see him coming out before the season starts and saying he doesn't think one of his players is capable. That kind of management loses dressing rooms, whether the other players agree with the statement or not.
True. It's the reason why I found the quote so damning as far as Cole's prospects are concerned and why I probably overreacted to the Redden signing.

Everything pointed towards Hitchcock admiring Cole's work ethic during the time when he wasn't playing during the playoffs and the good word he had done with Brad Shaw after practice.

It seemed nearly everyone thought Cole would be ready to step into a much bigger role in 2012-13. And then I read that quote. And then we signed Redden.

Nevertheless, I like Cole and I hope he takes advantage of the situation.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Enough about Cole and onto Redden. Armstrong made two similar signings in the past with Sydor and Huskins who played decent enough for the roles they were given but also provided good leadership off the ice for the youngsters. If Redden can do the same as those two, then this is a another solid acquisition. Plus Hitchcock sounded pretty adamant that it is going to take a lot of players to get through this shortened season so I am all for getting our hands onto as much depth as we can.
yeah, you're right
its just like this signing has to do much with Coles spot in this organization, which I doubt

I haven't been to happy with this signing but I think its just because White hasn't been good and they wanted another depth D, so its ok. maybe he'll be a positive surprise...

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:01 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Cole will be a solid NHL player in his career. Whether with the Blues or elsewhere, I just think he'll contribute, and eventually retire to a television set somewhere, because he's a sharp, articulate, funny guy.

To me, this puts Woyrika, Chorney and Fairchild down in Peoria. White is released. Redden becomes the Huskins of this year. It's a total freeroll – it's basically a minimum contract for a guy to get another chance. If it doesn't work out, they cobble together some minutes, possibly from Woyrika on a callup, while still looking to make that one d-man trade we all more or less expect from Armstrong.

Remember, the big issue was: did the Blues have enough NHL-capable d-bodies back there even if they hadn't found that missing top defensive piece? Now they probably can say yes to that, and if injuries/performance forces Armstrong's hand, so be it. However, he buys himself a little time. AND, it being a freeroll, maybe Redden surprises in a good way, and then the Blues are in good shape. Like the move.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:06 PM
417blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
They have him paired with Petro for the same reason they had Cola paired with Petro. Petro is our best defenseman while Cole is our worst. Petro will most likely have to cover his ass for most of the games. I'm expecting Cole to take the first penalty of the year with some ******** like high sticking in the offensive zone.
This is the only problem I've noticed with Cole: he tends toward penalties.

I recognize that he only played in 26 games last year, but if you look at PIM/GP he accumulated penalties at a rate which ranked 6th on the team and led all Blues defensemen. (NB: Cole did not get penalized in the two games he played last year's playoffs)

PIM/GP:
1. Reaves 2.067 (60 GP)
2. Crombeen 1.775 (40 GP)
3. Stewart 1.380 (79 GP)
4. Backes 1.232 (82 GP)
5. Nichol 1.038 (80 GP)
6. Cole 0.846 (26 GP)
7. Shattenkirk 0.741 (81 GP)
8. Polak 0.740 (77 GP)
9. Jackman 0.740 (81 GP)
10. Steen 0.651 (43 GP)

I haven't researched the league average, nor have I compared this data across seasons. Data is culled from HockeyDB.

Last edited by 417blues: 01-18-2013 at 11:51 PM. Reason: corrected "5th" to 6th
417blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:20 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

I wouldn't worry about Cole, White, Woywitka or Redden. You will be playing 48 games in like 99 days. That is going to be a killer. 6 games in 9 days??? These guys are going to need to go see Lance Armstrong.... Really...You need bodies. I see lots of injuries and rotating in and out. The more the merrier. Like I said...Don't be surprised if you see McRae before it is all said in done due to injuries and fatigue. Can't believe they got Redden so cheap. Someone wants a ring....

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I wouldn't worry about Cole, White, Woywitka or Redden. You will be playing 48 games in like 99 days. That is going to be a killer. 6 games in 9 days??? These guys are going to need to go see Lance Armstrong.... Really...You need bodies. I see lots of injuries and rotating in and out. The more the merrier. Like I said...Don't be surprised if you see McRae before it is all said in done due to injuries and fatigue. Can't believe they got Redden so cheap. Someone wants a ring....

I think some guys should have scheduled days off to fight fatigue. That's what baseball does. You give a guy a night off here and there.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:35 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

The Blues have been looking for a guy to help flesh out the depth chart a bit, and all I get from this is that they seem to think that Redden is a better option than White for that role. I don't see this signing as a commentary on Cole's standing with the team at all.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:40 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
The Blues have been looking for a guy to help flesh out the depth chart a bit, and all I get from this is that they seem to think that Redden is a better option than White for that role. I don't see this signing as a commentary on Cole's standing with the team at all.
Yup, this.

Woywitka just got bumped a notch down the depth chart and White got bad news today, but all this projecting of new pairings with Redden is premature. The guy hasn't set foot on NHL ice in nearly 3 years. We'll see what we've got, and let him take the 7th spot for now.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:14 PM
oPlaiD

Do you guys think Redden could see any power play time? Hard to say without actually having seen him play recently but that was one of his talents in his NHL past, right?

We only have two defensemen on our top two power play units so it seems like there could be a spot there, although with our defensively responsible forwards manning the point in Oshie and Steen that probably isn't a big problem... (as long as Oshie doesn't break his stick like he did in the scrimmage last night, lol.)

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:33 PM
fxhomie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moolah3i4 View Post
Hes better then Colin White, imo!
White is a pylon.

fxhomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Cochise22

Like some others have already stated, I believe this to be more about depth for a 48 game season, than it does about the current standing of our team. That's why I like this signing.

It's been said that Hitch studied Gregg Popovich and how he handled the lockout in the NBA. The Spurs won the most games in the toughest conference in the NBA. Part of the reason they did so well was because of how they handled resting their stars and keeping them fresher than the other teams. We already have a lot of forward depth to be able to pull this off. We just needed some able bodied d-men to do this as well. So honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if they offered Colin White a 2 way deal as well, just so they have more fresh legs ready to play.

Cochise22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:09 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise22 View Post
Like some others have already stated, I believe this to be more about depth for a 48 game season, than it does about the current standing of our team. That's why I like this signing.

It's been said that Hitch studied Gregg Popovich and how he handled the lockout in the NBA. The Spurs won the most games in the toughest conference in the NBA. Part of the reason they did so well was because of how they handled resting their stars and keeping them fresher than the other teams. We already have a lot of forward depth to be able to pull this off. We just needed some able bodied d-men to do this as well. So honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if they offered Colin White a 2 way deal as well, just so they have more fresh legs ready to play.
They already released white

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Cochise22

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorton724 View Post
They already released white
Oh. I did not know this. Well then disregard that part of my post!

Cochise22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Given Armstrong's latest comments (before the signing), he was looking for NHL quality defensive depth. I see Redden as an upgrade over Colin White and a likely upgrade over "Wyorika". Thats about it.

With that said, I am happy with the signing. Just a simple, solid, and logical move.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Enough about Cole and onto Redden. Armstrong made two similar signings in the past with Sydor and Huskins who played decent enough for the roles they were given but also provided good leadership off the ice for the youngsters. If Redden can do the same as those two, then this is a another solid acquisition. Plus Hitchcock sounded pretty adamant that it is going to take a lot of players to get through this shortened season so I am all for getting our hands onto as much depth as we can.
Exactly! Redden can still play decently enough to be a solid fill-in on the 2nd shift, and also help on the Power Play. He can teach the young defencemen offensive skills and teach calmness and poise. Jackman is good with the stay-at-home game, but can't teach much in the way of offensive skills. I'd rather have Redden on the 3rd pairing, and, possibly moving up to the 2nd pairing if there are multiple injuries on defence, than have Woywitka, Chorney and Fairchild in the 4-5-6 spots. And this costs almost down to the league minimum. How can this be bad? If Redden is terrible, they can just cut him. This surely beats overpaying by bidding high on a #3-4 D-man that 5-6 teams all want and need badly. And, IF he plays a solid veteran, poised game, and contributes well, we may well find out that The Blues will be better off this way than giving up 1-3 roster players plus a top-level prospect and/or high draft choices for Bouwmeester.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPlaiD View Post
Do you guys think Redden could see any power play time? Hard to say without actually having seen him play recently but that was one of his talents in his NHL past, right?

We only have two defensemen on our top two power play units so it seems like there could be a spot there, although with our defensively responsible forwards manning the point in Oshie and Steen that probably isn't a big problem... (as long as Oshie doesn't break his stick like he did in the scrimmage last night, lol.)
ABSOLUTELY! part of the reason he was picked up, in addition to added depth and a veteran presence was to play on the #2 PP shift.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

So it's like the Rangers are paying him $5m and we are paying him $800k. Cool.

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:50 AM
Hutz
Classless User

Good signing for you guys. I was hoping we'd bring him back to Ottawa, but no such luck. He's obviously lost a step from his heyday, but it's a gamble I'd take any day of the week and twice on Sundays for that price.

Well, just one more reason to cheer for you guys in the West. Good luck!!

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 10:08 AM
Honeycutt

Cole had a great game last night. After the first few minutes he was really good.

Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:08 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycutt View Post
Cole had a great game last night. After the first few minutes he was really good.
thats good to hear! nothing against Redden, but he's to much of a question mark for me that I'd be happy with having him in the top6 on a constant base

and it would be really cool to have a solution found in the system for our LHD "problem". even if he'll "just" replace Jackman in a few years there would be nothing wrong with it

but we'll see, It has been just one game and Wade will get his chances...rather sooner then later

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:37 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dangles View Post
So it's like the Rangers are paying him $5m and we are paying him $800k. Cool.
Yeah. Ain't it Cool?

PD reports the Redden passes Physical but won't play in Nashville tomorrow, and unlikely against Chicago Tuesday.

Last edited by JustOneB4IDie: 01-20-2013 at 03:05 PM.
JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 03:44 AM
fredrikstad

Hey. Norwegian hockey fan here, coming in peace.
So when do you see Redden play?
I hope for him to get 1000 NHL games, lack 6 games or something like that? I followed Rangers because a Norwegian player was there for the past two seasons, and Redden was a real class act after they buried him in the minors. Was a great mentor and teacher for young D's like Ryan McDonaugh among others. And never complained.
Zuccarello told Norwegian newspapers that he was a great team mate and mentor.

So I for one wish him and The Blues good luck. Hope to see The Blues and Redden in the Stanley Cup final this year.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 04:37 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrikstad View Post
Hey. Norwegian hockey fan here, coming in peace.
So when do you see Redden play?
I hope for him to get 1000 NHL games, lack 6 games or something like that? I followed Rangers because a Norwegian player was there for the past two seasons, and Redden was a real class act after they buried him in the minors. Was a great mentor and teacher for young D's like Ryan McDonaugh among others. And never complained.
Zuccarello told Norwegian newspapers that he was a great team mate and mentor.

So I for one wish him and The Blues good luck. Hope to see The Blues and Redden in the Stanley Cup final this year.
According to Redden in an interview two days ago, the target date seems to be this coming Thursday against Nashville. That's not official yet, though.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote