HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 09:23 PM
orcatown

vCash: 500
5 - 3 for Texas after the second.

Oleksiak sure looks like a player. Also too bad we never got Matt Fraser.

Sterling got nailed by Sloane and was out for the second half of the period. Looks like he may have a significant leg injury.

Can begin to see the effect of having Friesen, Schneider and Kattelus at center. Just can't produce any offense. Didn't seem like Friesen was getting much time.

Rodin remains disappointing. Nothing is happening here.

Desbiens playing like an idiot . Killing a penalty and continues to openly hook people until he gets a call and puts team down 2 men

Cannata was shaky at times but played well during the 5 on 3 . Goal that beat him was fluke. Plays extremely deep and depends on sliding quickly side to side. However, to me, it does seem that quite a bit of the net is open. Real intent on covering up the bottom of net.

Andersson again had a good period. Connauton on the other hand is really struggling.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:35 PM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Sterling got nailed by Sloane and was out for the second half of the period. Looks like he may have a significant leg injury.
Geez, that sucks for the Wolves. Sterling has been great.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:35 PM
orcatown

Matheson brain dead play with Blain leads to another goal.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:44 PM
orcatown

Sterling did not return for the third

Old
01-18-2013, 09:47 PM
orcatown

And Haydar with a good shift and a goal. Nice play by Hunt from the point.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:50 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Would like to see Cannata get more starts still...

Old
01-18-2013, 09:53 PM
orcatown

Andersson off the post

Old
01-18-2013, 10:27 PM
orcatown

Good effort by the Wolves to come back. Had enough chances to tie it up but couldn't get the puck past Campbell.

However, just too many terrible plays to start the game and very off games for some players. Matheson was really bad and Blain not much better.

Maybe to be expected that all the travel, injuries and changes would catch up with the team. You simply don't have enough down the middle. None of Friesen, Kattelus or Schneider is good enough and those are three of your four centers.

Andersson was again steady and to start the game looking like he was trying to be more dominant. Fell off as the game continued but overall a good effort. Also Archibald continued to get chances - however needs a center

Could see others were trying to assert themselves but often this seemed to get them out of team concept. Arniel is going to have to get them them back to a better defensive style and better team work,

Gordon, Haydar and Hunt were excellent and had to carry the team much of the time.

Most disappointing for me is the continued lack of production by Rodin. Carries the puck a bit but can't penetrate into scoring areas. Also had people opened and didn't move the puck. Got more or less benched in the third.

Cannata had little to do for most of his time in net and could not be faulted for the two goals he allowed - see Matheson and Schnieder. However, his net coverage is looks troublesome. Looks to be a very technical goalie but IMO has to challenge more and not over-react and pull himself out of the play.

If Sterling is out it will be heavy blow to the team.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:34 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Thanks for the updates orcatown.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:49 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Yup great updates from Orca.

I'm amazed how well Andersson seems to have adapted to the NA game from a level below the SEL basically, and how you just can't predict from the draft who will flourish and who will disappoint (which goes to show, its not so much about picking the right player but having lots of picks - that's what Sam Pollock did).

At this point, would he be considered the 10th D depth wise, 9th possibly when we all figure out Barker can't play??? If so, barring a trade, that would seem to indicate he will get a cup of tea with the Canucks this year, perhaps more. Unreal.

Had to look up that he was drafted in the 5th round - looking forward to see what Hutton can do!!

Old
01-18-2013, 10:56 PM
thefeebster

^^ A d man in the 5th round of every draft is a recipe for success. Let's keep it up.

Well, although you can't put too much emphasis on the Scrims, i thought Andersson was better than Barker and Vandermeer, at times Alberts as well. Its between him and Connauton for a call-up and my personal opinion is that Andersson would be the 1st callup in that situation.

----

Sterling injured Just what the Wolves need.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:15 PM
orcatown

Not disagreeing about Andersson but you know at some point you have to start considering Hunt. I know the size makes that seem crazy but he is the most effective player on the back end for the Wolves in many games.

It would be a fantastic story if the this little guy who kicked around hockey schools in the Lower mainland for years was to actually make it. Far-fetched but he was real good at the University level and has done nothing but improve as pro.

I know he's not signed by the Canucks but you wonder if he should be.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:28 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Yup great updates from Orca.

I'm amazed how well Andersson seems to have adapted to the NA game from a level below the SEL basically, and how you just can't predict from the draft who will flourish and who will disappoint (which goes to show, its not so much about picking the right player but having lots of picks - that's what Sam Pollock did).

At this point, would he be considered the 10th D depth wise, 9th possibly when we all figure out Barker can't play??? If so, barring a trade, that would seem to indicate he will get a cup of tea with the Canucks this year, perhaps more. Unreal.

Had to look up that he was drafted in the 5th round - looking forward to see what Hutton can do!!
I'm hoping that's what Gillis will eventually be able to do. He's got a top 4 d locked down for quite a while now and a number of good young d prospects in the pipeline. Hoping he'll eventually be able to flip some for picks once the talent settles out. Or have one or two young guys supplant someone in the top 4 and flip one of the vets for high picks. (Some type of permutation of this anyways.)

It's been a long time (never?) since the Canucks have had any semblance of a stock of young prospects at any position. They've never really been in the position to do anything close that I'm aware of.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:03 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
I'm hoping that's what Gillis will eventually be able to do. He's got a top 4 d locked down for quite a while now and a number of good young d prospects in the pipeline. Hoping he'll eventually be able to flip some for picks once the talent settles out. Or have one or two young guys supplant someone in the top 4 and flip one of the vets for high picks. (Some type of permutation of this anyways.)

It's been a long time (never?) since the Canucks have had any semblance of a stock of young prospects at any position. They've never really been in the position to do anything close that I'm aware of.
Yeah it doest have to be 1st or 2nd round picks coming back, we seem to do well with 5th round picks

They were also aggressive at one point signing free agents (which Tanev and Lack came) and then poof they stopped doing it. Not sure what happened there.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:48 AM
CanadianPirate

Thanks guys for the game reviews I read almost every one. I have a quick question for you. As people who actually watch the games does Connauton have the tools to make the nhl? The media like to do stories on him and many canuck fans on this site seem convinced he is one of the organization's top prospects but every time I read anything about him it seems that he is struggling. Has he improved over the last few years? What number defenseman would you say he is for the wolves? Top four?

To me it sounds like Andersson is a better player than him and may soon jump him in the organizational depth chart. Do you think Corrado will do so next year as well? The canucks tried him as a forward at the first scrimmage has that option come up for the wolves?

Well that turned out to be a few more questions than I intended. Oh well hahaha.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:48 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Yeah it doest have to be 1st or 2nd round picks coming back, we seem to do well with 5th round picks

They were also aggressive at one point signing free agents (which Tanev and Lack came) and then poof they stopped doing it. Not sure what happened there.
They signed McEneny this past offseason, and were in on Schultz. The previous season they signed Erixon, and Archibald.

Yes, they slowed down from the previous while when they grabbed Tanev, Sweatt, Oberg, Walsky, Pope, Schneider, Tochkin, but part of that is probably due to them having drafted players coming into the fold whereas there was a pretty big hole when Gillis took over due to poor drafting, which left him with little prospect depth, and some contract slots to play with.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:41 AM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPirate View Post
Thanks guys for the game reviews I read almost every one. I have a quick question for you. As people who actually watch the games does Connauton have the tools to make the nhl? The media like to do stories on him and many canuck fans on this site seem convinced he is one of the organization's top prospects but every time I read anything about him it seems that he is struggling. Has he improved over the last few years? What number defenseman would you say he is for the wolves? Top four?

To me it sounds like Andersson is a better player than him and may soon jump him in the organizational depth chart. Do you think Corrado will do so next year as well? The canucks tried him as a forward at the first scrimmage has that option come up for the wolves?

Well that turned out to be a few more questions than I intended. Oh well hahaha.
I think Connauton has either regressed or stagnated this year. He seemed to be one of those players that struggled with the increased competition due to the lockout. Corrado/Tommernes/Price could all bump him in the near future, but it's really tough to guess how different players will adapt.

I don't think he's played any forward for the Wolves.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:57 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:

1. McEneny.

2. Contract limits

Old
01-19-2013, 10:02 AM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
They signed McEneny this past offseason, and were in on Schultz. The previous season they signed Erixon, and Archibald.

Yes, they slowed down from the previous while when they grabbed Tanev, Sweatt, Oberg, Walsky, Pope, Schneider, Tochkin, but part of that is probably due to them having drafted players coming into the fold whereas there was a pretty big hole when Gillis took over due to poor drafting, which left him with little prospect depth, and some contract slots to play with.
The other thing is that the team has a ton of depth at the NHL level now whereas it didn't when Gillis first took over. It's a lot easier to convince a player to sign if they think they have a realistic shot of making the team.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

^^
^^
^^

Forgot about Mceneny and Archibald...

Old
01-19-2013, 10:47 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

----

Sterling injured Just what the Wolves need.
Now the excuse for Schoreder not getting any time with the NHL club is that they don't want to decimate the Wolves due to their injuries LOL.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:13 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
I think Connauton has either regressed or stagnated this year. He seemed to be one of those players that struggled with the increased competition due to the lockout. Corrado/Tommernes/Price could all bump him in the near future, but it's really tough to guess how different players will adapt.

I don't think he's played any forward for the Wolves.
I think he only played forward in the one scrimmage because they needed a warm body to fill out the lines and they wanted to see how Vandermeer looked on defense. The next night they reversed their roles.

I think Connauton really excelled under Craig MacTavish - he had a lot of praise for KConn. I'm not so sure that Claude Noel was or Scott Arniel is as high on him.

Gillis did say he thought he would get some games called up to the Canucks this year.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:17 PM
turkulad

For those of you who have had a chance to watch Chicago season, would you consider Anton Rödin's value as a offensive prospect and an asset for the Nucks to have diminished this season a lot? Can the coach be blamed for some of his shortcomings, or is he just not that good at this level?

Old
01-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkulad View Post
For those of you who have had a chance to watch Chicago season, would you consider Anton Rödin's value as a offensive prospect and an asset for the Nucks to have diminished this season a lot? Can the coach be blamed for some of his shortcomings, or is he just not that good at this level?
Arniel is, in my mind anyway, absolutely to blame for Rodin regressing. Hell, which one of our prospects has taken a step forward with Arniel? I'm struggling to name one...

Under MacT, Rodin seemed to be progressing pretty well and was playing really well for the last 20 games or so of last season. I don't really understand what happened this season.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:46 PM
timw33

Quote:
^^
^^
^^

Forgot about Mceneny and Archibald...
Yeah, we're making up for traded 3rd-7th round picks by signing these UFAs. Still need to draft better though.

Closed Thread