HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 07:39 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

vCash: 500
Gotta say, it's nicer to have celebration-worthy prospects than to have the Muckler cupboard.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Zibanejad has a trait that only Silfverberg can come close to. He is very clutch. When the stakes are high, he always plays his best. You can't teach that, he's a winner. In the WJC and in the Delegation round for Dj he was their best player imo.
He scores one game in the WJC because of a bad defensive play and he's suddenly mister clutch? Come on man. (Should probably note that his explosive speed and hands contributed, also...but it was a bad play.)

Zibanejad has a lot to prove with all that has happened and what little he has actually shown since being drafted.

I, like everyone else, love his tools. However as has been mentioned many, many times to this point...it's seriously in question whether or not there is enough upstairs for him to make full use of those tools. I hope it clicks.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:04 PM
SevenOfSpades
SkinnyOneOnTheRight

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
He scores one game in the WJC because of a bad defensive play and he's suddenly mister clutch? Come on man. (Should probably note that his explosive speed and hands contributed, also...but it was a bad play.)

Zibanejad has a lot to prove with all that has happened and what little he has actually shown since being drafted.

I, like everyone else, love his tools. However as has been mentioned many, many times to this point...it's seriously in question whether or not there is enough upstairs for him to make full use of those tools. I hope it clicks.
Plus the relegation round where I believe he was the leading scorer. Also, he did extremely well in the preseason last year (lots of pressure trying to impress management), managing to score a great over time goal against an NHL goaltender.

Do you remember watching the 2012 WJC finals? Do you know why Ronberg was upping his minutes compared to the rest of the tournament? Zibanejad was a force, generating two or three scoring chances in the last five minutes alone.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm critical of Zibanejad. He's inconsistent, plays too safe, doesn't often display elite hockey sense, eat centera. One thing I cannot deny is the fact that, when under scrutiny and pressure, Zibanejad kicks into high gear and plays to win.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:12 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenOfSpades View Post
Plus the relegation round where I believe he was the leading scorer. Also, he did extremely well in the preseason last year (lots of pressure trying to impress management), managing to score a great over time goal against an NHL goaltender.

Do you remember watching the 2012 WJC finals? Do you know why Ronberg was upping his minutes compared to the rest of the tournament? Zibanejad was a force, generating two or three scoring chances in the last five minutes alone.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm critical of Zibanejad. He's inconsistent, plays too safe, doesn't often display elite hockey sense, eat centera. One thing I cannot deny is the fact that, when under scrutiny and pressure, Zibanejad kicks into high gear and plays to win.
Very well said. CJam, I wasn't just referring to his goal, I was referring to the role he played in that tourney when the stakes were high; the winner was just icing on the cake.

SevenOfSpades summarizes everything else perfectly.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:18 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Regarding hockey sense, he had the sense to know the goalie was out of position tonight and threw it at the goalies back for a goal. Zibanejad is young and has some growing to do internally, but I believe we will see a different, much better Zibanejad by the end of this season. This will be a good development year.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
Regarding hockey sense, he had the sense to know the goalie was out of position tonight and threw it at the goalies back for a goal. Zibanejad is young and has some growing to do internally, but I believe we will see a different, much better Zibanejad by the end of this season. This will be a good development year.
That isn't hockey sense.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:40 AM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
That isn't hockey sense.
How isnt that hockey sense. Most players would have just held onto the puck. Sometimes...

Old
01-19-2013, 12:49 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
That isn't hockey sense.
then please explain "hockey sense." Without using Crosby as an example. If it isn't hockey sense, then at the very least it is good reaction time and foresight.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Well, what I think that MoO is saying is that is something you can see just by looking at the goalie's position. Hockey sense has a lot more involved, it's seeing things that are developing, knowing when to pass the puck and when to keep it, when to jump over the blueline and throw a shot on net and when to hold onto it and wait for the rest of your team to come in to set up a play. Predicting what the other team is going to do, how your own players will react to your actions etc. etc. Things that Zibanejad has routinely not been able to follow. He seems to have a very predictable playstyle -- his physical gifts allow him to continue to play that way with some success, but he has to be dynamic to be successful in the NHL. Right now I don't really see that.

As far as the clutch mentionings above...I guess we can agree to disagree. I didn't see much change from him in the first game to the last in the WJC. He was always doing mostly the same thing (predictable playstyle) it just so happened that on that opportunity at the end the defence slipped up and allowed him the space to do what he's good at. He always creates a lot of "opportunities" but I find that none of them are really "scoring chances" because he doesn't really make plays so much as he rifles the puck at the net from anywhere (generally right when he's crossed the blueline). It's not necessarily horrible but it doesn't make for a high scoring offensive talent.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:44 AM
BK201

It's funny we say he just rifles the puck at the net from anywhere when they teach you to get the puck on the net from anywhere and anything can happen.

Although I do actually understand the criticism about him he's very young and needs to develope these are things that can be fixed. I mean we're really complaining that he's shooting so far out I'm sure he's smart enough to learn how to start to set up plays.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:13 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
It's funny we say he just rifles the puck at the net from anywhere when they teach you to get the puck on the net from anywhere and anything can happen.
They teach that to the guys who will **** up if they don't.

Most players that make the difference offensively are not of that school.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:30 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
How do you define "hockey sense" anyway?

Being in the right place at the right time? Being able to read and anticipate a play?

I don't know how teachable that is. Obviously all players are taught the basics of how to play their position, but in the flow of the game you have to react to what is actually happening.

I really wish that people would stop stepping on Zibanejad's nuts so much. He's missed a ton of time for a variety of reasons, and we all know that he is raw. He needs to adjust to the north american game, and he needs to play.

He's a project. He needs more time to develop. People need to keep their expectations in check.

To quote the great Jacques Martin, "we need to be patient with our young player."

Old
01-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post

Being in the right place at the right time? Being able to read and anticipate a play?

I don't know how teachable that is. Obviously all players are taught the basics of how to play their position, but in the flow of the game you have to react to what is actually happening.

I really wish that people would stop stepping on Zibanejad's nuts so much. He's missed a ton of time for a variety of reasons, and we all know that he is raw. He needs to adjust to the north american game, and he needs to play.

He's a project. He needs more time to develop. People need to keep their expectations in check.

To quote the great Jacques Martin, "we need to be patient with our young player."
I think Gretzky himself said it the best: "A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be."

Old
01-19-2013, 12:20 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:

Reading the play, making the the plays that extend the drive and cause better scoring chances. That's just a few examples of hockey sense.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:31 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Right, so what I said.

Now give me an example of teaching someone to do that.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:33 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Right, so what I said.

Now give me an example of teaching someone to do that.
You can't. Someone could improve by experience and better practice of knowing where to go by instinct but mostly it's already in a player perception of how he views the game and ice. The only way you could "teach" is constant strategies so that they know what to do.

With that being said, in hockey there are a lot of broken up plays and adjustments needed so it usually ****s over those who don't know what's going on.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:48 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Silf has some inherent hockey sense, but he needed to get used to the ice surface and speed of the game before he could show that. Zibanejad saw a defensive break down during the russia vs sweden game and he jumped all over it. That play happened because he saw it happening. Someone said it was an easy play to make, but I really do not think so. I have no idea where Zibanejad tops out, all I know is that he is young and has a lot of time to grow into an NHL game. I have already seen improvements in his play at the AHL level. He is more defensively responsible than DaCosta and so he isn't constantly trying to go snipe show all the time. That part of his game will come.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:17 PM
sexytime

Said it once and I'll say it again... Zibanejad is an average hockey player at most. Don't get too excited.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:31 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Already has a goal in tonight's game which gives him a 3 game goalscoring streak and a 4 game point streak.. Thoughts anyone?

Old
01-21-2013, 07:54 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Good.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:09 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Trying to get called-up by the looks of it lol

Old
01-21-2013, 08:12 PM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

Meh

Old
01-21-2013, 09:35 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
Trying to get called-up by the looks of it lol
If he gets going offensively and can transition that into a call up then we'd be laughing as our top 12 is wheeling and dealing right now. I hope Zbad can turn on the jets and really push for a NHL roster spot.

Old
01-21-2013, 11:57 PM
damianthesensfan
Alfie!!!

theres no replay for zibbys last 2 goals tonights and the last one, can someone break them down??

Old
01-22-2013, 12:00 AM
Rumcajs

At somepoint I think Zibanejad would look great on the wing of Turris. Probably at some point to replace Gui

Closed Thread