HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 10:54 PM
jrgtml67

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
According to you, there's not much difference between Reimer and Schneider. Perhaps Gillis feels the same way?
Gillis is a fool, and a hot head...read the article on tsn.ca

Here is a quote

"The notion that we were asking for too much was floated in the Toronto media by a team that was extremely interested in acquiring Roberto and were using every means possible to try and force us to do something that we didn't think was right. That's nothing new in this business and it's not the type of pressure that I'm going to succumb too."

He is moronic if he thinks because Luongo is an allstar that, that negates the crazy contract that he was signed to. What is Gillis supposed to say? Of course he is going to ask for the moon, but he needs to come back to earth and realise Luongo is middle aged and will soon be on a decline in ability in comparision to his earlier years. Gillis should be trying to get good return but asking for Gardiner and Kadri, or whatever young gun combo he can think of is insane.

If Luongo was younger maybe 28 even sure I could see more value. I personally think Luongo is a great goalie and he would fit in Toronto very well; however I am glad Nonis isnt blinking and willing to mortgage the future of our club. I would rather miss the playoffs for 2 more years and get a Mackinnion or Seth Jones, and then grab a Connor Mcdavid. I know that is wishful thinking; however if you look at Pittsburgh in comparison...they are doing what the leafs are starting to now (finally). They gave the young guys a chance and didnt make rash decisions and trade the farm so to speak. In doing so they ended up drafting Crosby Staal Fleury Malkin....there is your star power base. As well I dont think the leafs need to make a huge blockbuster deal to get better...they sit at 28million cap availability right now, there are teams that will be murdered in the off season when the current cap drops. The leafs are positioned to scavenge from teams that made idiotic signing before a new cba was agreed on !

In summary;

The season is only 48 games....in order to make the playoffs a fast start is a must dropping say 5 or 6 outta the first 12 games will basically crucify a team. As well, no team had any exhibition games to test out lineups and such really this is a fluke season for any team in the league regardless of who they have in their lineup. Sure it would be nice to have a team like the Pens, Flyers etc but dont we all ! Its a sprint to the post season...buckle up

Last edited by spiny norman: 01-19-2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: corrected [/QUOTE]
Old
01-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Very true. Everything is hunky dory in Edmonton right now, but soon the expectations will grow. Tambellini has proven he can draft well. They have good draft picks besides the obvious ones. Now can the team develop and can he build around them in time. And eventually, can he manage to sign everyone and stay competitive. There are still a huge amount of questions about where Edmonton will end up. Potential and realized potential are two very different things.
It's not exactly hard to draft when you're picking #1 3 years straight. Eberle was a steal, but the other guys were all consensus picks. I haven't been super impressed with his UFA pick-ups either. He has shown patience though and it has given Edmonton a great core, which is good to see. Hopefully they manage the team well from this point forward, because Edmonton deserves to have a good team.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Samzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Basically, yes, this is the equivalent.

Would we honestly do that deal? Hossa is a 20 goal guy for 3 more years then a dud.

Basically the same scenario as Lui.
I'd do that trade.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:59 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgtml67 View Post
Quote:
According to you, there's not much difference between Reimer and Schneider. Perhaps Gillis feels the same way?

Here is a quote

"The notion that we were asking for too much was floated in the Toronto media by a team that was extremely interested in acquiring Roberto and were using every means possible to try and force us to do something that we didn't think was right. That's nothing new in this business and it's not the type of pressure that I'm going to succumb too."

He is moronic if he thinks because Luongo is an allstar that, that negates the crazy contract that he was signed to. What is Gillis supposed to say? Of course he is going to ask for the moon, but he needs to come back to earth and realise Luongo is middle aged and will soon be on a decline in ability in comparision to his earlier years. Gillis should be trying to get good return but asking for Gardiner and Kadri, or whatever young gun combo he can think of is insane.

If Luongo was younger maybe 28 even sure I could see more value. I personally think Luongo is a great goalie and he would fit in Toronto very well; however I am glad Nonis isnt blinking and willing to mortgage the future of our club. I would rather miss the playoffs for 2 more years and get a Mackinnion or Seth Jones, and then grab a Connor Mcdavid. I know that is wishful thinking; however if you look at Pittsburgh in comparison...they are doing what the leafs are starting to now (finally). They gave the young guys a chance and didnt make rash decisions and trade the farm so to speak. In doing so they ended up drafting Crosby Staal Fleury Malkin....there is your star power base. As well I dont think the leafs need to make a huge blockbuster deal to get better...they sit at 28million cap availability right now, there are teams that will be murdered in the off season when the current cap drops. The leafs are positioned to scavenge from teams that made idiotic signing before a new cba was agreed on !

In summary;

The season is only 48 games....in order to make the playoffs a fast start is a must dropping say 5 or 6 outta the first 12 games will basically crucify a team. As well, no team had any exhibition games to test out lineups and such really this is a fluke season for any team in the league regardless of who they have in their lineup. Sure it would be nice to have a team like the Pens, Flyers etc but dont we all ! Its a sprint to the post season...buckle up
How does this have anything to do with my post?

Not really in the mood to sift through your post to separate fact from opinion, but right now I'd much rather keep Luongo than trade him away for a minimal return(i.e. one not including an impact forward). As long as Gillis feels the same way, that's all that matters.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Samzilla

As someone else said, if the option is trade to Lu for a minimal return now, or a minimal return later, we may as well keep him for now where he can help us out. If the pieces coming back aren't going to help our needs, there's no sense rushing him out the door at this time.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:14 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgtml67 View Post
Quote:

Here is a quote

In summary;

Gillis is a hot head?

I dont think you know what the term means.

And comparing the leafs to the pens? The pens drafted well. The whole idea that you can win the cup through the draft is bunk.

Toronto has been out of the playoffs and drafting low for years yet their prospect pool is dismal for what it should be. Thats bad management

Last edited by spiny norman: 01-19-2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: corrected [/QUOTE]
Old
01-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
It's not exactly hard to draft when you're picking #1 3 years straight. Eberle was a steal, but the other guys were all consensus picks. I haven't been super impressed with his UFA pick-ups either. He has shown patience though and it has given Edmonton a great core, which is good to see. Hopefully they manage the team well from this point forward, because Edmonton deserves to have a good team.
I said aside from the obvious. In the past couple years, besides the first overalls, they have chosen Klefbom, Musil, Gernat, Zharkov, Ewanyk, Rieder, Marincin and Lander. A few of those guys will make a mark as well. Klefbom would have been the top defenceman on Team Sweden this WJC if he wasn't injured.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Rude Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
That's pretty much speculation...what not speculation is the canucks wanting good players back. That is logical.
Logical is having enough money to pay for something. If you don't have enough money you save until one day you do.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Gillis is a hot head?

I dont think you know what the term means.

And comparing the leafs to the pens? The pens drafted well. The whole idea that you can win the cup through the draft is bunk.

Toronto has been out of the playoffs and drafting low for years yet their prospect pool is dismal for what it should be. Thats bad management
The Pens drafted their players in a good order as well. D and goalies take longer to adapt. Fleury, Letang and Orpik came first. Malkin, Crosby and Staal came next. And letting those young players play is vastly different than the Leafs letting their young players play.

Last edited by spiny norman: 01-19-2013 at 01:13 AM. Reason: corrected quoting
Old
01-18-2013, 11:24 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

If the price Gillis has set for Lu isnt too high and many teams have shown interest why hasn't he been traded yet?

Old
01-18-2013, 11:27 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
If the price Gillis has set for Lu isnt too high and many teams have shown interest why hasn't he been traded yet?
I guess Luongo is more valuable to the Canucks right now than he is to anyone else.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:31 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
I guess Luongo is more valuable to the Canucks right now than he is to anyone else.
Or according to 29 other GM's the price is too high.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
I swear this thread needs a FAQ and a basic introduction to economics stickied in the first post.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:34 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
No one knows what the price is, though...

Old
01-18-2013, 11:39 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
No one knows what the price is, though...
Very true. And I wouldn't put it past the Leafs or any other team to manipulate the media to help with a trade negotiation. Just like I wouldn't put it past Gillis to be trying to manipulate the media right now.

Honestly at this point as it seems pretty unlikely that the Leafs are still in on Lu I wish the Nucks nothing but the best no matter what they decide to do with him.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:47 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
A team has shown interest for the high price though... Luongo is worth a high price, to the Canucks... The price isn't too high for the Canucks... If it was, the price of Luongo would be lower, to send him to another team... The price is only too high if no team is prepared to accept it... Right now, one team is... maybe there were/are more than one team who is prepared to pay it (who knows) but Luongo wasn't prepared to go to that team... Luongo hasn't been traded because, at least for now, perhaps only Vancouver is prepared to accept the high price, and perhaps Luongo is only prepared to play in Vancouver (given those with asking price offers, assuming these exist)... Maybe it's the only situation right now, that lines up for both Vancouver and Luongo... We do know that it matches up right now for Vancouver and Luongo... so, the asking price right now is fine...

It's a worthwhile bet, IMO, that to the right team, at the right time, Luongo will be worth a high price to someone else as well... But, if this doesn't come (before next October) if at this time Luongo is no longer worth a high price to the Canucks (due to the cap or whatever), and Luongo is prepared to go to the city, Luongo's price will be lowered, and Luongo will be on another team...

My opinion is that there are teams interested in Luongo... but none right now who are interested that need him more than the Canucks do... Therefore, none right now who are prepared to pay the high price that the Canucks are... Some may say that the Canucks don't need Luongo with Schneider here... Well, the Canucks need as great a roster as they can assemble to challenge for a cup... Get the most of what they can, out of everything they've got... If this involves probably best in league goaltending, that's the competitive advantage the universe has granted... Can't fight it, IMO... and certainly don't give that away...

Last edited by I in the Eye: 01-18-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old
01-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Very true. And I wouldn't put it past the Leafs or any other team to manipulate the media to help with a trade negotiation. Just like I wouldn't put it past Gillis to be trying to manipulate the media right now.

Honestly at this point as it seems pretty unlikely that the Leafs are still in on Lu I wish the Nucks nothing but the best no matter what they decide to do with him.
Thanks. If Nonis really is intending on going through a proper rebuild, then there's not much sense in the Leafs acquiring Luongo whatsoever. I think waiting until the season starts when at least one of Bryzgalov/Lindback/Holtby/Crawford/Dubnyk/Niemi/ whoever will get lit up is by far the best course of action. If a team gets desperate, great. If not, keep them both until next off-season and re-evaluate(possibly trading Schneider instead, based on performance this season)

Old
01-18-2013, 11:50 PM
Nash

Quote:

I never thought Toronto would be his final destination, but if Nonis actually pulled the trigger now, it would be even more shocking. If he did that just as it appears that he's ready to give the kids experience, it would be putting the Leafs back into fringe playoff team purgatory.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:56 PM
Nash

Unless a team has a goaltending catastrophe, I believe Florida is the destination. Tallon may let Theodore play out his NTC final year before pulling the trigger and also wait to see if Markstrom is past his injury issues first though. No idea on what would be coming back, but it seems like these two teams trade every year. Some of those trades have been discussed for up to a year before being done.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:28 AM
T M L
Next Season?

Quote:
This exactly.

Vancouver will have to buy him out next year, Luongo has been steadily going down the last 3 years.

Gillis ain't get anything remotely close to what his delusional plan thinks he is getting.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:30 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
I guess if there was a need to have him traded by right NOW you'd be right.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:33 AM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Quote:
I swear this thread needs a FAQ and a basic introduction to economics stickied in the first post.
Basic economics:

- If there is no market for a product you are attempting to sell; that product is obviously not as valuable as you had originally assessed.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:34 AM
T M L
Next Season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I guess if there was a need to have him traded by right NOW you'd be right.
Unless your GM comes back to reality, Luongo is going no where. Enjoy the 5M cap hit

What Gillis is failing to realize is that the 29 other GM's know that he is in fact a contract dump with a terrible contract and his play has been sub par for years now! I think Gillis thinks that everyone else does not see this haha.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
Basic economics:

- If there is no market for a product you are attempting to sell; that product is obviously not as valuable as you had originally assessed.
Just read I in the Eye's post if you don't understand why Luongo isn't being traded.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:36 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by T M L View Post
This exactly.

Vancouver will have to buy him out next year, Luongo has been steadily going down the last 3 years.

Gillis ain't get anything remotely close to what his delusional plan thinks he is getting.
Uh he was 12th last year with 0.919, but 4th the year previous with .928 (his 2nd best ever).

But even if Gillis doesn't get what he wants, it's all good. We rock the Schneids/Lou tandem for the compressed season (lots of back to backs) and then try to deal him for value at the end of next year.

If there is still no takers we trade him to Florida for cheap, win for the Canucks and win for Luongo - a class act who has conducted himself with absolute professionalism.

Perfectly played by Gillis, and ultimately he will end up doing right by a long time Vancouver veteran. As it's been for the past 5 years, great time to be a Vancouver fan

Closed Thread