HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Trade Discussions Thread II - All ‎

Old
01-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Fogelhund

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight K Schrute View Post
Edler resigns. 6yrs 30 millions. If they keep luongo they have 4 million to sign 9 guys next year. Is a luongo trade coming?
It is possible/probable that they'll either trade away, waive, or buyout Ballard, Booth and Luongo.. result dependent on who the player is, what offers they get, and how close they get to the new Cap deadline.

If they clear out those three, they have about $18 million in cap space, with 6 forwards signed, 4 defence and 1 goalie. There is no question they are going to be tight even if they get rid of those guys. My guess is that both Booth and Ballard are bought out, and Luongo is traded. They'll want decent cheap cap hit players, as they really can't afford anything else with their cap situation.

Bottom line, the longer they sit on Luongo, the less teams will know they have to pay.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:17 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
'It has been widely speculated that the general asking price for Luongo is too high, but Gillis revealed that such a rumor was spread around by "a team that was extremely interested in Roberto and were using every means possible to try and force us to do something that we didn't think was right."

Man...Gillis is a big baby
How exactly would the Toronto media force Vancouver into a trade? Is he that fragile mentally?

"Like OMGZ...Steve Simmons said we're asking too much...I better reduce my price and trade him immediately"!!!

Dolt.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:42 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Now that Edler is signed; Vancouver will need to fill 9 roster spots next year with $3,896,667 in cap space.

If I recall correctly; the minimum allowable salary for a player will be $550,000. If they sign 9 league minimum roster players; that would cost $4,950,000. That equates to $1,053,333 over the salary cap.

Ballard is a near guaranteed buy out (unless Luongo is traded); with a healthy cap hit at $4,200,000. That means free cap space equivalent to $3,146,667; minus another $550,000 for a league minimum player; making it $2,596,667.

They then have 10 roster spots to fill; with only $2.6 million salary cap to pay these players (nearly half the roster) above league minimum.

I see in a situation where Luongo is kept; Booth having to be bought out along with Ballard. That's the only way I see these numbers working. Even then; there is not much wiggle room. Needing to sign 11 players (half the roster); with $6,296,667 above minimum salaries to get creative.

It's possible; but would a team like that be a contender? Is it worth all this squeezing and effort; just to keep a backup goalie on your bench?

Good luck to them; our price is not moving.

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:44 PM
BayStBullies
Burn the Boats!

Quote:
'It has been widely speculated that the general asking price for Luongo is too high, but Gillis revealed that such a rumor was spread around by "a team that was extremely interested in Roberto and were using every means possible to try and force us to do something that we didn't think was right."

Man...Gillis is a big baby
I have no doubt Gillis is aware of the method of utilizing the media to get a message out; let's not forget how he more than likely leaked to the media that he had multiple teams interested; when absolutely next to no team has shown any proven interest what-so-ever.

BayStBullies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:56 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
I have no doubt Gillis is aware of the method of utilizing the media to get a message out; let's not forget how he more than likely leaked to the media that he had multiple teams interested; when absolutely next to no team has shown any proven interest what-so-ever.
If they did Connolly and Frattin straight up for him but that is about it.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:14 AM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBullies View Post
That is some leak. Sort of what one does after a long drive.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:53 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
What Brian Burke actually said was he wouldn't trade youth for vets to make 8th place and get bounced. Pretty much the same thing Nonis recently said and everyone is giving him credit as though it's different than where we were headed.
I should've clarified. Burke said that line but in an entirely different context. I'm hearing leaf fans thinking 8th is a bad thing, since when? paying a high price for a rental only to fall in 8th and lose? yah, that sucks. Still, nothing wrong with 8th.

I'll put it in some context, I'm a habs fan and wish leafs a competitive year. It may seem illogical but the fans deserve a form of success for their patience and loyalty. Obviously, not at the expense of something massive but at right price a guy like Luongo can aid them in reaching some relative success.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:57 AM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I should've clarified. Burke said that line but in an entirely different context. I'm hearing leaf fans thinking 8th is a bad thing, since when? paying a high price for a rental only to fall in 8th and lose? yah, that sucks. Still, nothing wrong with 8th.

I'll put it in some context, I'm a habs fan and wish leafs a competitive year. It may seem illogical but the fans deserve a form of success for their patience and loyalty. Obviously, not at the expense of something massive but at right price a guy like Luongo can aid them in reaching some relative success.
Agreed, but right now, from what we are hearing, it's not the right price.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:03 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
What Brian Burke actually said was he wouldn't trade youth for vets to make 8th place and get bounced. Pretty much the same thing Nonis recently said and everyone is giving him credit as though it's different than where we were headed.
Nonis said he would only trade youth for youth, because it doesn't make sense to build these building blocks up only to tear them down.

Burke likely would have traded a Gardiner for Luongo to get into the playoffs. Nonis would rather trade a Gardiner for a young star goalie.

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:13 AM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor99 View Post
Nonis said he would only trade youth for youth, because it doesn't make sense to build these building blocks up only to tear them down.

Burke likely would have traded a Gardiner for Luongo to get into the playoffs. Nonis would rather trade a Gardiner for a young star goalie.
lol Burke would never do a stupid trade like that.

the Kessel trade was his only arguable bad trade(and we still ended up with a young elite winger)

He's good at trades and has never traded a stud prospect for a 30+ year old vet.

Really Burke got fired due to his style, it just seems more and more clear, he had no exact plan and talked his mouth off, the new managment just didn't gel with him at all.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:28 AM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Obviously, not at the expense of something massive but at right price a guy like Luongo can aid them in reaching some relative success.
A guy like Luongo could help us short term, when the team isn't necessarily ready to contend, and hinder us (with his contract / on ice play / NTC) when the majority of the retooling may be completed. Short term gains for long term pains is not what the Leafs should be looking for right now.

If we were a team like the Rags, acquiring a similar contract (B. Richards) may make some sense.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:04 AM
LeafsBro

I would love to have Luongo but at this point in time the team is not in a position to contend. I honestly believe that with him this team could make the playoffs but I'd rather this team get at least a top 10 pick in the upcoming draft.

LeafsBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:05 AM
SteveV*

It's like Gillis has lost the plot, Luongo's contract DEFLATES HIS VALUE. Hello.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
It's like Gillis has lost the plot, Luongo's contract DEFLATES HIS VALUE. Hello.
The guy is an idiot. He think that contract is good.

His train of thought: Luongo = all star (I don't even think he's been an all star for Vancouver) so he should get great value for him.

If we follow that:

How about trade all stars? Komisarek for Luongo.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:41 AM
darrylsittler27

Vancouver looks pretty thin right now.

Although they have the twins,that has to be the weakest Vancouver lineup I can recall.Schneider is good and will win them games but if they have a slow start the pressure on Gillis will mount.I still think he should look at my generous offer.Connolly for Luongo,Kessler and five first rounders.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:19 AM
JB Maple Leafs

Quote:

Great point!

JB Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:20 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
It doesn't seem to Register. The guy should have 5 years of probable decay then what do we do? They need to work out financials to get a return of worth. If not Giligan won't get what he expects

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

His train of thought: Luongo = all star (I don't even think he's been an all star for Vancouver) so he should get great value for him.

If we follow that:

Gillis holds the asset, and as such has the right to ask whatever he likes in return.

Leafs can either pay his asking price or hope he lowers it, what he uses to determine that asking price is really irrelevant.

If Leafs want Luongo its really that simple, as they're not the ones calling the shots.

01-19-2013, 08:33 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 769
Quote:

Just we are clear on what he said....

"I'm not going to give up youth for older players," he said. "We would trade a young player for a young player. We might trade from strength. But we're not going to trade a bunch of young players or first-round picks for short-term gain. You can't build a club that way."

That does not say he wouldn't trade one young player from a strength position along with an older player and later picks than first round.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:41 AM
RogerRoeper*

I can't see any team taking on that terrible contract. Gillis trying to blame it on the Toronto media is hilarious. The Toronto media is a bigger fan of the Canucks than the Leafs.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:

If we follow that:

This is such an awesome post full of win.

Well done sir!

01-19-2013, 08:50 AM
eyeball11

Quote:

That's basically a load of BS as since day one every move Burke made was to get younger. Not once (that I can think of) did he trade young players for vet players and he even so much as said he wasn't interested in doing so.

To suggest Burke "likely" would have done that is farcical as every shred of evidence was counter to that.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:52 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Brendan Gaunce may be a chip if Leafs are to give up a prospect for Luongo, Nonis will insist on at least 1 young player coming back if Gillis insists on Kadri or Gardiner in a package. I like him far more than Jordan Schroeder. Not going to be a #1C but a #2 at worst #3C with size. Good leadership skills too, something to keep in mind.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Brendan Gaunce may be a chip if Leafs are to give up a prospect for Luongo, Nonis will insist on at least 1 young player coming back if Gillis insists on Kadri or Gardiner in a package. I like him far more than Jordan Schroeder. Not going to be a #1C but a #2 at worst #3C with size. Good leadership skills too, something to keep in mind.
I would definitely want a guy like Gaunce in this team, really like him. However not at the price of Kadri.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:00 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I would definitely want a guy like Gaunce in this team, really like him. However not at the price of Kadri.
I have a feeling Leafs scouts liked him, really to break this stalemate, I can only see other players being added as opposed to simply being a Luongo for players/prospects deal from the Leafs. Gaunce is something that would make Nonis think, and it justifies his only trading youth if we get youth back mantra, something I agree 100% on!

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote