HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
01-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Crappy picture of my trio of sticks. Miken Z9, Warrior Covert DT-2, Bauer Nexus 600.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:53 AM
SCBruCrew4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Crappy picture of my trio of sticks. Miken Z9, Warrior Covert DT-2, Bauer Nexus 600.

Jarick, whats your favorite stick right now. I have a Nexus 400 and was throwing around the idea of upgrading to the 600 with the P92 (same as my 400) just for the same feel but with better technology and weight. But also saw that the Miken was onsale recently.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I haven't used the Miken on ice yet, but I really like it so far. It's a better stick on paper than the Nexus 600 and is for sure lighter. Feels like it will have some heavy shots coming off it.

Still think the Nexus 600 is solid for the money if you don't count clearance sticks. It gives me a heavy shot with better accuracy than the DT-2 but the heavier weight and balance slows the release a bit. And the puck feel isn't great.

But there are still a lot of clearance sticks out there around the $100 mark that should be better than the 600.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

Had a full weekend to use the RS2 I picked up and after adjusting to the lower kick point, that thing can really shoot a puck. I had to change my technique coming from predominately mid kick sticks (T1, Ai9, One95, One95 2-piece) and shooting off the toe to create a sling shot effect helped me get more velocity on the shot, have a quicker release and be more accurate. I still like the overall feel of a mid kick when it loads, but so far I am pleased with the RS2.

Another Ai9 came in the mail yesterday to replace one I broke, and I will most likely be switching back to it for the time-being but I certainly like having a backup stick I am more than comfortable with or can switch to if I go through a slump.

Clarkington III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Split can you talk more about your change in technique? I'm fascinated by that stuff.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:50 AM
bmxer

Love the Ai9. I went through 4 and now using Salming M11 Would love to go back to an Ai9 as soon as I find a deal!

bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:13 PM
wreckless

bought a one.9 yesterday and used it last night - love it.

prefer it to last years totalone and this years nxg.

very similar to the one95 shaft wise, and as close as it'll get blade feel wise.

wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Split can you talk more about your change in technique? I'm fascinated by that stuff.
With the mid kicks, snappers are a slight drag, load, snap. With the the low kick rs2, i couldnt get anything on my snap shots until I changed to loading with the slight drag (speeding up the process) and then snap to create a slingshot effect.

Old
01-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Aucoin11*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
bought a one.9 yesterday and used it last night - love it.

prefer it to last years totalone and this years nxg.

very similar to the one95 shaft wise, and as close as it'll get blade feel wise.
The one.9 is supposed to be a direct clone to the one95 with blade reinforcements for durability purposes.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 10:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

First game with the Miken Z9 last night. 65 flex BP14 curve with grip.

Wow. Very impressed.

Getting past the "meh" looks, it's interesting and kind of old-school in terms of construction.

The shaft has rounded corners and flat walls, like a Vapor, but it's a bit more substantial. The Vapor feels pretty thin in the hands. You know how the shaft is rectangular with one side longer than the other? The Z9's "shorter" side is a little bit longer, so it's a bit more closer to a square than rectangle, but not overly boxy. It's comfortable for someone like me with a little smaller hands but without being as thin as many intermediates.

There's no fancy taper to this stick. It just tapers down to the blade like you'd expect. No daggers, triangles, ellipses, super narrow, or flare. Just a taper.

The blade is a bit thicker than most sticks nowadays which have gotten super thin. Especially towards the heel. Again just an old-school type construction.

Grip finish is a little different. It's a rubbery matte finish but has more grip than other matte finishes. My gloves have fairly smooth palms so I like a lot of grip and don't really care for too much texture. This worked just fine. I'd say it's not extremely grippy but very comfortable. I believe the top 12" or so is non-grip for stickhandling, which I don't ever care about or notice.

Okay, now on to the first use.

I get to the game late for warmups (as usual) so I jump on the ice and grab a puck and notice two things right off the bat:

1. Balance is PERFECT. PERFECT. You literally don't feel the weight of the stick ever. Some sticks are blade light so they feel heavier in the top hand, some are blade heavy so they feel heavier in the bottom hand...this one is just perfect. First one I've ever encountered.

2. Stick feel is very good. It feels a lot like a wood stick in that the blade is an extension of the shaft but it's got that crispness of composite. Again, first time I touch the ice and grab a puck and I'm moving through scattered pucks on the ice with ease.

This was consistent throughout the night. Made it very easy to play with the puck.

I'm pretty good at knocking down and catching hot and off-target passes and they came off a little hotter on this blade than other modern sticks, but nothing unmanageable. So not perfect, but maybe a trade-off for the feel.

Didn't get enough to make a great judgment on shooting but I'll try and make some observations.

Shots came off feeling heavy. Dunno if that's the same as quick. But they had some weight to them. Hit the boards with a big BANG. Huge thud hitting the pads and glove. Cringes hitting defenders in the groin (sorry).

Again I need to take more shots, but you don't feel the stick flexing, it's more that it shoots without making you aware of the flex. This could be the more mid-flex aspect of this stick. Now I'm coming from a 55 flex which was super whippy, and before that a 70 flex low kick that felt super stiff up top. For my shots (high hands, wrist/snap shot, like to load and release) the flex felt very natural.

Shot accuracy is hard to say. First time using this curve and I'll cover that in the E28/P14 thread. Seems good so far.

Didn't take any slappers with it because I'm awful at them. Well I tried to take one but I whiffed on the puck.

Backhanders were especially heavy and accurate. Maybe this is due to the slightly thicker blade. It just felt very solid and connected, like there was no effort to take a backhand shot. Probably the hardest backhanders I've had to date.

So just one game in, honeymoon, but I'm really happy with this stick. Nothing so far I would change. Dunno if the kick is better, the same, or worse than my favorite to date (Vapor X:60) but everything else is a home run in my opinion.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Clarkington III
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Shots came off feeling heavy. Dunno if that's the same as quick. But they had some weight to them. Hit the boards with a big BANG. Huge thud hitting the pads and glove. Cringes hitting defenders in the groin (sorry).
I think these are two different things: heavy vs. quick. I always look at heavy shots as ones you describe. They sound and feel like they have weight behind them. Quick shots are just that. They come off quick.

Old
01-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Usually I associate that with proper lie for the shot, so it could have been the P14 vs P92. Maybe they aren't moving so much left to right or right to left but dead straight?

Old
01-14-2013, 12:00 PM
TieClark

New problem with my N12... I can't keep the puck down on a slapper at all. It just knuckles way too high. It's definitely the Coffey curve doing it but I did it twice last game.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:44 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 84
I love my Easton ST. I buy Easton because they have the most discounted sticks on HM and my Zetter curve (L) is commonly the only type remaining. Got to be the best value online, a 200$ stick for 75$.

I last used a 65 INT for 8 months. A spring season, 1/2 a winter, and S&P for months, this stick took a serious beating. It never broke but broke down and I probably should have traded it in months ago but it is durable.

My friend insisted I move to a "man's" stick so now I made a huge change and bought the 85 flex. Insanely strong and solid stick. My performance with it not consistent but a higher flex can have serious potential. I'm thinking if your opponent has a 85 flex stick then you should too... better that your stick is "heavier" when battling or connecting with the puck at the same time. It has given my 3 games last week a definite power.

Jarick I know you've said lowering flex helped out a teammate, ever experience raising the flex, or especially from INT to SEN and having a beneficial effect?

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:58 AM
do0glas

to me, and correct me if i am wrong. flex isnt about the number so much as getting the most out of the stick.

once you get below 95 flex in my opinion, it really comes down to technique. When i say technique, i feel there are many ways to skin a cat here. There are general rules to loading the stick and positioning the puck, but the way your body is positioned in a forward motion, how much ability you have to skate and lean way down, and also how fast you need the puck to get off your stick.

I will say spend time in the gym, its good for you for one, and it gives you options in terms of flex if you are generally stronger.

so with all that being said, study your stick, and what i mean by that is find its sweet spot, you can mitigate a lot of flex issues by keeping your hands in the right spot for snappers.

our top scorer on our team is running with 67 flex and he is a bigger guy, i have a 67 in the garage that i practice with sometimes, and honestly my shots come off better with my 87 and my cut down 87. but i am 5'9 145. I will say its a bauer ONE30 vs vapor X:60, so maybe the load on the 67 is a lot slower.

anyway, i am rambling. there are no strict rules about stick flex, there are guidelines, like 100 flex is probably unnecessary but 85 for a grown adult shouldnt be unrealistic if you work on your core more than once a week.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
My friend insisted I move to a "man's" stick so now I made a huge change and bought the 85 flex. Insanely strong and solid stick. My performance with it not consistent but a higher flex can have serious potential. I'm thinking if your opponent has a 85 flex stick then you should too... better that your stick is "heavier" when battling or connecting with the puck at the same time. It has given my 3 games last week a definite power.

Jarick I know you've said lowering flex helped out a teammate, ever experience raising the flex, or especially from INT to SEN and having a beneficial effect?
My opinion and theory is more tied to height and stick length than strength or weight.

My teammate who moved from 87 to 67 flex is maybe 5'5, 140 pounds, and uses 12" gloves. He's pretty small. In his case there's just no way he could flex anything over intermediate as much as he cuts (or should cut) them down.

Another teammate was 6'4 or so, probably not more than 160 pounds (quite skinny). He started out with an 85 flex and had to put a 6" plug in it. When he moved up to 100 flex, his shots got harder. He also had a 115 flex that he tried but didn't like it. His slappers were even harder but he felt more comfortable with a little more flex for snappers.

I really don't think "manly" sticks have anything to do with it. It's your height and hand size really. Short people tend to have smaller hands so going with intermediate means the right flex for our height plus a thinner shaft to fit our hands.

Not sure what your height is, but you could also look at 75 flex, that would be a nice medium.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Ozz

I've been flip flopping between my old school aluminum (my tried and true standby), RBK 4K, and Bauer APX the past few weeks. The 4K has a curve similar to what I always put on my aluminum (Drury/Getzlaf) while the APX has a P88 which is foreign to me.

At first I preferred the RBK to the APX (mostly because of the curve), but over the past few weeks the APX has become my favorite. I used to not mind the difference in weight, but now the RBK just feels like a tree. Even the aluminum feels lighter.

Ozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I will say, after taking lots and lots and lots of shots in my basement, I want to run my 75 flex Easton again. Need to get a blade for it that I like though.

Old
01-26-2013, 01:13 AM
MuffinMerc
Come watch TV

vCash: 977
I've been using Intermediate Warrior sticks for the most part. I was able to pick up a 70 flex Widow for $100 and have been impressed with it so far. I really should have purchased a couple more of them while they were still on sale.

I've been saving for a high(er) end stick, just to try things out. I'm debating between the Miken Z9, the Zero Limit, or a Bauer X:60 But from your little review, Jarick, I think the Z9 might be my next twig.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Brunomics

I bought an Easton 55S the other day as a temp stick and ended up using it yesterday. I have to say for 60 bucks that is one hell of a stick. It felt better than a lot of the expensive sticks I've had over the years.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 12:37 AM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

Any suggestions between RBZ 60 v Mako M5? Or any other suggestions around the $100-$135 range? I recently broke the shaft of my Reebok 6K.

I'm 5'7 165, and use an intermediate stick cut down about 3 inches. Mainly a puck distributor and take wristers, rarely if ever take a slap shot unless it is a one timer. The M5 is on sale so naturally I am inclined to believe it is a better stick, but I'm intrigued by the technology of the RBZ 60. I've shot around with both sticks, but its hard to gauge when you're not playing full speed. Any help is appreciated

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 07:29 AM
I Am Score*

Jarick, would you recommend the Z9 as a backup to a Total One?

It's pretty cheap (79.99) on Total Hockey right now and i'm eager to try it after you said. What curve did you use and do you recommend it?

My current backup is my roller composite which is awful haha.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 08:16 AM
Orange Thunder

I don't play hockey (shinny all star ) so I went the cheap route and got a Sher-wood Nexon for $100. It has the Stastny curve, really wanted the Coffey one though. Wanted the RBZ Landeskog, but it was $300.

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 09:46 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
Any suggestions between RBZ 60 v Mako M5? Or any other suggestions around the $100-$135 range? I recently broke the shaft of my Reebok 6K.

I'm 5'7 165, and use an intermediate stick cut down about 3 inches. Mainly a puck distributor and take wristers, rarely if ever take a slap shot unless it is a one timer. The M5 is on sale so naturally I am inclined to believe it is a better stick, but I'm intrigued by the technology of the RBZ 60. I've shot around with both sticks, but its hard to gauge when you're not playing full speed. Any help is appreciated
The RBZ 60 doesn't have the same tech as the flagship product. It has foam in the blade core. I wouldn't call the 'custom' kickpoint a worthy feature at all; more like it doesn't have an engineered one. The M5 is based on the ST, so essentially a higher end stick designed and built to tougher specs. Extremely durable but a little heavy. Between the two, I would go M5.

I'm sure there are many other sticks out there in your price range that are discontinued top end models. If you want, you can find some in your preferred flex/curve and post it here.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2013, 10:03 AM
I Am Score*

There are plenty of great sticks around the 100-150 price range.

I just brought a Total One reg for 120. They also had Warrior Widow and other sticks on that price range.

Head over to Hockey Monkey or Ice Warehouse for 15% off in January ONLY. Get around a 150 dollar stick for 120 or so.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote