HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[VAN] Edler signs extension [6 years/30 mil]

Old
01-19-2013, 01:15 AM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

vCash: 500
I'd say Vancouver's Defence is top 3 behind only St. Louis and The New York Rangers.

Canadian Gold X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:16 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Which is promising with 2 of the league's top 10 forwards already in the mix and Kesler/Burrows locked up longterm.

Just get 1 more impact forward like Bobby Ryan somehow.
And if the Sedins extend for another 2-3 seasons at a lesser cap (4M) hit we're in even better shape to pick up another 1-2 quality players to round out the team.

Things are looking good.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:16 AM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natureboy1235 View Post
I'd say Vancouver's Defence is top 3 behind only St. Louis and The New York Rangers.
Until the playoffs when the only ones who show up are Hamhuis and Ballard for some reason.

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:22 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterEmpire View Post
Until the playoffs when the only ones who show up are Hamhuis and Ballard for some reason.

Good one.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:29 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Legit lol.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:34 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Edler shows up on and off. Remember L.A. two years ago (or three)? He broke everything that moved.

Next thing we know, he disappears. He's like a Swedish Santa Claus for one of 5 or 6 playoff series

I'm still utterly impressed at the signing though. None but the most homeristic Canucks fan said less then 5.5. Burrow's last contract, Schneider's $0.9 million for 2 seasons, and possibly Hamhuis are the only ones that could top it.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:07 AM
BillDineen

Now this is a good contract. Unlike the Devils fans who convinced themselves Zajac was value, no one needs convincing with this one.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:23 AM
TheBleedingEdge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Edler shows up on and off. Remember L.A. two years ago (or three)? He broke everything that moved.

Next thing we know, he disappears. He's like a Swedish Santa Claus for one of 5 or 6 playoff series

I'm still utterly impressed at the signing though. None but the most homeristic Canucks fan said less then 5.5. Burrow's last contract, Schneider's $0.9 million for 2 seasons, and possibly Hamhuis are the only ones that could top it.
3 Years I believe, also in the cup run the hits he layed on Chicago.

TheBleedingEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:24 AM
Steamer

Most of the Vancouver haters have no understanding of the situation here in Terminal City, either in terms of the town or how the club has been run over the last decade,
First of all Vancouver has an incredible physical setting, ocean, mountains and the valley/delta. Here you can live downtown and walk to the beach. During part of the year you can ski in the morning and sail or play golf in the afternoon. It's kid friendly and relative safe even in the worst areas of town. Secondly the team has generally been very classy in it's treatment of players. Elder was not high on many if any teams radar, but ex-Canuck gradin saw his potential and convinced the team to draft him and then they gave him time to develop. Burrows and Tanev weren't even drafted. The Sedins were given years to prove themselves. So it should be no surprise that players resign for less than they could get elsewhere. Hamhuis and Garrison are BC boys, so took less to come home, and had the lock out hadn't been looming, there may have been a chance that Weber would have too, although you can't fault him for his decision. I have followed the team for decades and remember the bad old days before Quinn, when it was always next year the team will get better! Now and for the last decade the team has been well run, both under Nonis and especially under MG, yes Gillis makes errors, but so does Holland and LL. Toronto Trolls just can' t handle the fact the Maple Jokes have done squat for 46 years! Other haters, especially Calgary and Oiler fans are just resentful. Even when the Flames have knocked the'nucks out of the playoffs I have cheered for Calgary. He'll I even cheer for the Hab note or Oilers in a cup final because I Am Canadian. We created the game and the Cup belongs back in Canada. Go Canucks go! Oh yeah great signing! LOL

Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:27 AM
mavstar
I hate Nucks' fans

Sick, Edler is a class-act, he gave us a big discount. I thought he'd get 6m/yr.

mavstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:35 AM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Seems like a friendly home town discount.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:40 AM
sully1410

Great signing.

I guess it will now be known as the Edler cap.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:47 AM
Foot

LOL @ all the people treating Gillis as if he's the second coming of Christ. Did you people forget the ridiculous contract Luongo is signed for? God, you people have a short memory.

Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:51 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Luongo contract is bad...
No it is not. It is only bad if you think Luongo is a washed up goalie and you want to get rid of him. In reality, Luongo is still one of the elite goalies in the league.

The Canucks have been built around Luongo and the Sedins as the team's franchise players. Kesler and Edler are Jonny come latelies. Until Schnieder blossomed, the Canucks only had one ligitimate franchise first string goalie - Luongo. Gillis offering Luongo a long term contract insured that the Canucks would always have a first string goalie at a fixed salary (which is rapidly becoming below market for a first string goalie) and that the Canucks would not run the risk of losing him during UFA status.

Schnieder turning out as well as he has could not have been predicted. It just so happens the Canucks have lucked out and now have two first string goalies. Unlike some HF fans thinking Luongo is now over the hill and washed up just because Schnieder may have won the Canucks first string goalie roster spot, that is not the case. Luongo is still the elite goalie he always has been whether Schnieder came along or not. Paired, the two together make for one of the strongest goalie tandoms in the league and makes the Canucks a very ligitimate cup contender even ignoring what kind of team the Canucks field in front of them. Add one of the strongest defense cores in the league as well as a solid first line with the Sedins and the Canucks will remain cup contenders for some time to come even with some possible weakness in the bottom 9 forward lines.

Gillis has maintained that he is in no hurry to trade Luongo or Schnieder. Adding temporary 2nd or 3 line forwards at the expense of breaking up an elite goalie tandom lessons the Canucks cup chances, not improves it. Unless trading Luongo or Schnieder improves the Canucks chances of winning the cup, the best trade Gillis can make is no trade. Both goalies are signed long term and both goalies have indicated they are more moivated by having the best chances to win the cup than worrying about who is the starting goalie and who is the backup. If after a couple of years Schnieder plays the UFA market, then because of the long term contract Luongo signed, the Canucks will still have a first string goalie with a hell of a team by that time in front of him.

Last edited by Hi-wayman: 01-19-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:52 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot View Post
LOL @ all the people treating Gillis as if he's the second coming of Christ. Did you people forget the ridiculous contract Luongo is signed for? God, you people have a short memory.
Almost every contract, save Luongo's, has been a steal by Gillis. And Luongo's isn't even that bad, just the term...

Old
01-19-2013, 02:55 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

This is a good signing longterm, but I can see some criticism thrown out of this deal in a season.

This is a very unpredicatable season for Edler... maybe he recognized that and wanted to sign a long-tem deal early instead of taking his chances in FA?

He could have a great season - clicks with Garrison, produces offensively on a top PP, getting tons of PP time, play consistent physically like he has, and stay durable - could all happen, he has the potential for that type of season.

But he could also struggle this year... he's moved to the right side, where he's still not shown he can adjust well defensively. He's playing with a new partner, who's also put up points and could take some of those offensive looks away from him - who knows how their chemistry holds up moving forward... and who knows how he holds up physically all season?

Personally, given his age and potential, I love this 6yr deal. He'll be great value for that contract in most of those years. But wouldn't be surprised if he does have a down year this year. He's got to make adjustments to his game, and likely with the system as AV needs to win soon with less weapons to work with. Without a top ranked PP, offensive game they've been playing, on a new side he hasn't played much in before, and with a new partner, he could well have been going into FA with a lot less leverage than he has now.

NFITO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:00 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Whatever your opinion of the Lu deal is, you need to understand the owners had a big part in it.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:01 AM
mriswith

I cannot believe we got him for 5 mil/year. I thought a killer discount would have been 5.5 discount, and that that was pushing it with homerism. He would have gotten 6-6.5 on the open market easily. This signing is the final piece that allows me to justify letting Ehrhoff walk.

mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:01 AM
AndyPipkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
This is a good signing longterm, but I can see some criticism thrown out of this deal in a season.

This is a very unpredicatable season for Edler... maybe he recognized that and wanted to sign a long-tem deal early instead of taking his chances in FA?

He could have a great season - clicks with Garrison, produces offensively on a top PP, getting tons of PP time, play consistent physically like he has, and stay durable - could all happen, he has the potential for that type of season.

But he could also struggle this year... he's moved to the right side, where he's still not shown he can adjust well defensively. He's playing with a new partner, who's also put up points and could take some of those offensive looks away from him - who knows how their chemistry holds up moving forward... and who knows how he holds up physically all season?

Personally, given his age and potential, I love this 6yr deal. He'll be great value for that contract in most of those years. But wouldn't be surprised if he does have a down year this year. He's got to make adjustments to his game, and likely with the system as AV needs to win soon with less weapons to work with. Without a top ranked PP, offensive game they've been playing, on a new side he hasn't played much in before, and with a new partner, he could well have been going into FA with a lot less leverage than he has now.
It could still be top ranked if Brown didn't have his head up his ass these days.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:04 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
These are some of the contracts Gillis has signed outside of the Luongo one:

Edler for 4yrs at $3.25mill/yr before this one
The Sedins for 6yrs at $6.1mill/yr
Kesler for 6yrs at $5mill/yr
Burrows for 4yrs at $2mill/yr, and now 4yrs at $4.5mill/yr
Higgins 2yrs $1.9mill/yr
Hamhuis for 6yrs at $4.5mill/yr
Bieksa for 6yrs at $4.6mill/yr
Garrison for 6yrs at $4.6mill/yr
Hansen for 3yrs at $1.35mill/yr
Lapierre for 2yrs at $1mill/yr

The only questionable one (now) has been the Malhotra contract, though it's hard to blame him based on his injury. Malhotra earned every penny of his contract before he got hurt.

The worst contracts on the team are Ballard and Booth's... both players acquired via Florida.

I'd say that's a pretty good track record to suggest he's pretty good at contract control, despite the much debated Luongo contract.

NFITO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:09 AM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
I have deduced that you are a Flames fan.

- Edler makes less than Wideman. Let that sink in.

Maybe you forget hes a top-5 goaltender, with the 9th highest cap hit?

Last edited by spiny norman: 01-19-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: not needed
Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:19 AM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
I have deduced that you are a Flames fan.

- Edler makes less than Wideman. Let that sink in.

Maybe you forget hes a top-5 goaltender, with the 9th highest cap hit?
Regardless, Edler has a good contract. Although I do agree that it should be a great contract for a decent player especially with the Canucks' recent acquisitions on the blueline, I think it's less a "hometown discount" and more of a really awesome opportunity for him to both grab some good cash + play on a well-balanced blueline for long term instead of lowering any value he has if he performs poorly.

IMO, Edler is a good option for any blueline, but he can be somewhat inconsistent... such as playoffs.

P.S. I've deduced that your deduction has nothing to do with the topic at hand, and its implicated affiliation is also incorrect.

Signed,
A Flames fan.

Last edited by spiny norman: 01-19-2013 at 11:39 AM. Reason: qmep
Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:23 AM
Frank Garrett

I knew he'd sign with you guys all along.

TOML

Frank Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:26 AM
whuttheeperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
No it is not. It is only bad if you think Luongo is a washed up goalie and you want to get rid of him. In reality, Luongo is still one of the elite goalies in the league.

The Canucks have been built around Luongo and the Sedins as the team's franchise players. Kesler and Edler are Jonny come latelies. Until Schnieder blossomed, the Canucks only had one ligitimate franchise first string goalie - Luongo. Gillis offering Luongo a long term contract insured that the Canucks would always have a first string goalie at a fixed salary (which is rapidly becoming below market for a first string goalie) and that the Canucks would not run the risk of losing him during UFA status.

Schnieder turning out as well as he has could not have been predicted. It just so happens the Canucks have lucked out and now have two first string goalies. Unlike some HF fans thinking Luongo is now over the hill and washed up just because Schnieder may have won the Canucks first string goalie roster spot, that is not the case. Luongo is still the elite goalie he always has been whether Schnieder came along or not. Paired, the two together make for one of the strongest goalie tandoms in the league and makes the Canucks a very ligitimate cup contender even ignoring what kind of team the Canucks field in front of them. Add one of the strongest defense cores in the league as well as a solid first line with the Sedins and the Canucks will remain cup contenders for some time to come even with some possible weakness in the bottom 9 forward lines.

Gillis has maintained that he is in no hurry to trade Luongo or Schnieder. Adding temporary 2nd or 3 line forwards at the expense of breaking up an elite goalie tandom lessons the Canucks cup chances, not improves it. Unless trading Luongo or Schnieder improves the Canucks chances of winning the cup, the best trade Gillis can make is no trade. Both goalies are signed long term and both goalies have indicated they are more moivated by having the best chances to win the cup than worrying about who is the starting goalie and who is the backup. If after a couple of years Schnieder plays the UFA market, then because of the long term contract Luongo signed, the Canucks will still have a first string goalie with a hell of a team by that time in front of him.
This X 1000. I for one was, and still am very happy about the Luongo signing. Differing slightly, for a few reasons I would prefer to trade Schneider. (bigger return, easier to move, the plan all along... etc

whuttheeperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:26 AM
ricky0034

5 million/year is pretty crazy

he'll only be like 33 when the contracts over too so it's not even like there's any old years in there

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote