HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2012-13 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 04:22 AM
krapsik

vCash: 500
PSN maintenance is over, but no NHL Gamecenter app. Not in US or European stores.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:23 AM
sush

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmaster View Post
short question (maybe it's already answered, then I'm sorry):
the faqs tell me that Game Center LIVE will renew my account and will debit my credit card automaticall for the new season (exept two states or so...) - is this also the fact with users from Europe? cause there was a discussion here last season and my credit card wasn't debited so long (but I can sign in at the moment...)
thanks for your answers!
I am kind of in the same boat: I was told by GCL support that my account would be automatically renewed and that I would be charged on 1/21/2013 but that I would still be able to watch the games on the 19th and 20th. The problem is that now whenever I log in to GCL I get the message that I have to upgrade my account; so I can't access GCL at the moment. Now I don't know whether I should renew manually or not, since I'd like to avoid paying the fee twice and going through the hassle of requesting a refund.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:28 AM
SwissAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sush View Post
I am kind of in the same boat: I was told by GCL support that my account would be automatically renewed and that I would be charged on 1/21/2013 but that I would still be able to watch the games on the 19th and 20th. The problem is that now whenever I log in to GCL I get the message that I have to upgrade my account; so I can't access GCL at the moment. Now I don't know whether I should renew manually or not, since I'd like to avoid paying the fee twice and going through the hassle of requesting a refund.
Got exactly the same problem. I will probably wait until tonight's first game and purchase it again if they don't do it automatically...

Old
01-19-2013, 04:30 AM
Eddy Livingstone

Quote:
I had the exact same problem. I thought I might as well pay up and did. I got a lovely confirmation by e-mail, but am still being prompted to upgrade to Game Center Live. I think there is a malfunction of some sort. I asked support, but have not received an answer yet.

If I cannot watch tonight, I will be mad as hell.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:34 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Now I don't know whether I should renew manually or not, since I'd like to avoid paying the fee twice and going through the hassle of requesting a refund.
I prefer going through the hassle over possibly missing the opening night. I just went ahead and renewed manually.

The NHL's FAQ say that a few days before they renew you automatically, you are supposed to get an email notice stating the price, etc. I got no such email notice this year. Maybe it's all different this season due to the lockout. Anyway, I see no problem with getting a refund, even if it should take a few weeks to process.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:38 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Livingstone View Post
I had the exact same problem. I thought I might as well pay up and did. I got a lovely confirmation by e-mail, but am still being prompted to upgrade to Game Center Live.
Have you tried restarting whatever app you use to access GameCenter? Or logging off and logging back in?

On Apple TV, there were no issues. As soon as I logged in, the "Upgrade to GameCenter Live" menu item that was previously there, simply disappeared. (And I, too, am using the same account as last season.)

Old
01-19-2013, 04:38 AM
McSkittlez
Jumbo Trollton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Depends on the quality of your WiFi signal, of course. If your workplace has some restrictions in place that would throttle the available broadband capacity, there might be some issues. I think that for only $50 for the entire season, it's worth a try.

The NHL's blackout practices are absolutely weird. The last few seasons when the NHL was launching the season in Europe, the whole of Europe got blacked out for those games in GameCenter, without the NHL bothering to distinguish between the many various European countries. So that in our case, it happened that there was no way for you to watch certain of those European NHL games in my country... They were neither shown on TV, nor accessible via GameCenter, despite my season-long NHL pass.

As to play-off games, I got to watch all of them without any problem. But I'm in Europe. I heard some Canadians/Americans got blacked out of some/many/all nationally televised games. There could be snafus similar to those with the European NHL games. I guess the first real test will come this afternoon, with a game like the Blackhawks @Kings, nationally televised on NBC. Many if not all GameCenter subscribers in North America may get blacked out for that game, but I hope I'll be able to watch it normally here in Europe. We got to see all NBC-covered games (both regular-season and play-offs) here in Europe last season, ditto for CBC and TSN.
Again, thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:40 AM
Vajakki

Quote:
AFAIK the auto renew option was available only for NA. Remember reading that in FAQ.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:43 AM
Eddy Livingstone

Quote:
Have you tried restarting whatever app you use to access GameCenter? Or logging off and logging back in?

On Apple TV, there were no issues. As soon as I logged in, the "Upgrade to GameCenter Live" menu item that was previously there, simply disappeared. (And I, too, am using the same account as last season.)
Yes I did. On my iPad it tells me 'purchased' when I log in. On the online version, on my desktop computer, I keep getting bugged by the message to upgrade and cannot acces the menu.

I get into a loop when I use the log-in for existing subscribers, because I just get redirected to the same screen telling me to upgrade. Why do things like this always happen on game day :-(

Last edited by Eddy Livingstone: 01-19-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old
01-19-2013, 04:48 AM
Westlander
Hup Holland

Quote:
Do you have an idea, Westlander, if full-length replays will be offered via Apple TV, too? The menu item for replays is currently missing. This seems to contradict the FAQ on NHL.com, where it says that full-length replays will be available on Apple TV, too, even with the selection of home or away broadcasts, which never used to work for replays before.

Well, I hope that the FAQ will turn out to be correct, rather than someone just being careless writing them. It sucked the last few seasons that the NHL Vault was only available via traditional computers in a Flash-based video format. It sucked doubly for those of us in Europe who can't afford to spend the whole nights watching live games.
You can definitely watch full replays, up until a few days ago I could still watch all of the games from last season including the playoffs. It's now reset for this season though, so they're no longer available. I rarely stay up to watch games live so I always watched the replays on Apple TV the next day (also with the choice of home or away broadcast). The NHL vault with the historical games from before the current season does not seem to be among the Apple TV options though.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:50 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
AFAIK the auto renew option was available only for NA. Remember reading that in FAQ.
Not, it's not. At least from what the support told me.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:51 AM
Faterson

Quote:
On my iPad it tells me 'purchased' when I log in. On the online version, on my desktop computer, I keep getting bugged by the message to upgrade and cannot acces the menu.
There can be all sorts of bugs here. On the iPad, it was telling me "purchased" even before I renewed. On the desktop PC, I 'd try things like launching a different browser to access NHL.com (perhaps you'd be able to log in properly there); or logging off, clearing cache & cookies in your current browser, etc.

Who knows what will happen this afternoon/tonight. It's best to mentally prepare ourselves for possible bugs/unavailability of games despite valid subscriptions, etc.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:04 AM
Faterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlander View Post
You can definitely watch full replays, up until a few days ago I could still watch all of the games from last season including the playoffs. It's now reset for this season though, so they're no longer available. I rarely stay up to watch games live so I always watched the replays on Apple TV the next day (also with the choice of home or away broadcast).
Wow! That would be absolutely amazing. I only got Apple TV in the course of the previous NHL season, and it did not occur to me to explore Apple TV options back then.

You're in the same time zone as myself, so I hope the full-length replays will work the same way this season as well. That would be paradise. I hope they put the full-length replays up promptly enough, so that when we wake up in the morning in Europe, we can just launch any game. There was a time about 2 or 3 years ago, when it sometimes took the NHL the entire morning or even into the early afternoon, before they made a replay available.

Quote:
The NHL vault with the historical games from before the current season does not seem to be among the Apple TV options though.
I'm not interested in historical games myself. Many of us were only forced to access NHL Vault because that was the only way to access full-length replays in the previous season(s). What's worse, the Vault only works in Flash, so it didn't work on tablets or phones, and it didn't give you the choice of home/away broadcasts for replays, either.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:04 AM
Eddy Livingstone

Quote:
On the desktop PC, I 'd try things like launching a different browser to access NHL.com
That actually worked. When I switched from Firefox to Chrome I get the message 'waiting for video feed'

Hopefully it will stay that way until the Leafs game tonight! Thanks for helping me out!

Old
01-19-2013, 05:06 AM
Westlander
Hup Holland

Quote:
Yes I did. On my iPad it tells me 'purchased' when I log in. On the online version, on my desktop computer, I keep getting bugged by the message to upgrade and cannot acces the menu.

I get into a loop when I use the log-in for existing subscribers, because I just get redirected to the same screen telling me to upgrade. Why do things like this always happen on game day :-(
I automatically get the upgrade message too, even though I've logged in and now paid for this season, but in the top right hand corner I have an option saying: 'Welcome Westlander, continue on to Gamecenter Live' which I can click on and proceed to the page showing todays games. I don't anticipate any problems. For info, this is on my Macbook.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:07 AM
Faterson

Quote:
That actually worked. When I switched from Firefox to Chrome I get the message 'waiting for video feed'

Hopefully it will stay that way until the Leafs game tonight! Thanks for helping me out!
Glad it worked. And if you make sure to clear the entire cache, cookies, etc. in Firefox, you'll be able to switch back to Firefox. (Although it seems to me that video streams work slightly better in Chrome than in Firefox on my computers, so you might just as well stay with Chrome.)

Old
01-19-2013, 05:16 AM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
Not, it's not. At least from what the support told me.
That's not a credible source in this case. GCL support has been saying exactly the same to us in Finland and GCL is officially not even available in Finland. Basically, they have no idea what they are telling their customers.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:39 AM
Westlander
Hup Holland

Quote:
Wow! That would be absolutely amazing. I only got Apple TV in the course of the previous NHL season, and it did not occur to me to explore Apple TV options back then.

You're in the same time zone as myself, so I hope the full-length replays will work the same way this season as well. That would be paradise. I hope they put the full-length replays up promptly enough, so that when we wake up in the morning in Europe, we can just launch any game. There was a time about 2 or 3 years ago, when it sometimes took the NHL the entire morning or even into the early afternoon, before they made a replay available.
I don't see why it would be any different this season. I also only had Apple TV from March onwards last year, and while the weeknight games tended to be available pretty quick the next day (by 5:30 or 6 am), when this wasn't the case I would have to watch it on the laptop. In the weekend they were sometimes a bit slower, and on Sundays in particular it could be late morning or even early afternoon before the Saturday night games appeared. Hopefully this will only improve!

Old
01-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
That's not a credible source in this case. GCL support has been saying exactly the same to us in Finland and GCL is officially not even available in Finland. Basically, they have no idea what they are telling their customers.
Quote:
When you purchase an annual subscription to NHL GameCenter LIVE™, you also accept the Terms and Conditions allowing your subscription to be automatically renewed the following season and each subsequent season. (Exception: Canadian residents of Alberta and Quebec).
No word on Europe.

Whatever I ordered GCL a few minutes ago, because a user from another forum got an email from the support

Quote:
All accounts are set to auto renew, if you would like to continue the services you do not need to do anything and it will automatically renew for this season at 2 monthly payments of $24.99. If you sign up for the subscription before the auto renewal it will automatically remove the auto renewal from your previous season subscription and you will only be charged once.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Faterson

Quote:
I don't see why it would be any different this season. I also only had Apple TV from March onwards last year, and while the weeknight games tended to be available pretty quick the next day (by 5:30 or 6 am), when this wasn't the case I would have to watch it on the laptop. In the weekend they were sometimes a bit slower, and on Sundays in particular it could be late morning or even early afternoon before the Saturday night games appeared. Hopefully this will only improve!
Thank you for the information. 5:30 or 6 am is perfect. That way, you might even be able to watch an entire game before going to work, because you can skip the breaks between periods.

Late morning or early afternoon, that's pretty weak, though. Especially on the weekends, when there is even more time to watch hockey in the morning than on weekdays.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:27 AM
Dzepetto
Rookie User

Paypal payment still won;t work I'm gonna miss season opener because of these idiots

Old
01-19-2013, 07:04 AM
Ajvan

Strange situation.

Im from Europe (Ukraine) and yesterday renewed my GCL subcribtion. Last year I watched all games (and playoffs) without any blackouts, but now I found that some games today will be blackout: Pens - Flyers, Kings - Hawks and Habs - Leafs.

"This game is not available due to blackout restrictions in your area. For more information on blackouts, please read our FAQ".

And our TV gives us only one game (Kings)... maybe GCL will change this before games. I hope

Old
01-19-2013, 07:05 AM
Hutz
Classless User

Quote:
They're giving me until February 18th before they charge my card... weird... wonder why they're giving me so much longer...

You may get that screen when you log-in, but once logged in, just go tohttp://gamecenterlive.nhl.com again, and it loads up the video console. I guess we'll have to wait a little to see if it works or not

Old
01-19-2013, 07:11 AM
IowaBudsFan
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
I guess no one knows.
They shouldnt be blacked out unless the matchup is also a Canadian national broadcast.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajvan View Post
Strange situation.

Im from Europe (Ukraine) and yesterday renewed my GCL subcribtion. Last year I watched all games (and playoffs) without any blackouts, but now I found that some games today will be blackout: Pens - Flyers, Kings - Hawks and Habs - Leafs.

"This game is not available due to blackout restrictions in your area. For more information on blackouts, please read our FAQ".

And our TV gives us only one game (Kings)... maybe GCL will change this before games. I hope
The same games are blacked out here in Finland aswell.

Closed Thread