2013 Australian Open

Old
01-19-2013, 04:15 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
My thoughts exactly. I heard Lleyton Hewitt is commentating. Is that true?
Yeah he is, they usually bring him in for the Australian games when he's been knocked out.

I don't mind Hewitt compared to Tomic mind you, became less of a ****** later in his career

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:12 AM
Tuggy

Only caught the final set on of the Raonic match but he looked good. Next up Federer. 4th meeting for the two (first at a grand slam) and each of their previous meetings has been extremely close. Not sure if Raonic can pull it off but needless to say it would be a massive win.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:15 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Only caught the final set on of the Raonic match but he looked good. Next up Federer. 4th meeting for the two (first at a grand slam) and each of their previous meetings has been extremely close. Not sure if Raonic can pull it off but needless to say it would be a massive win.
I would be shocked if he got a set off Roger although I haven't seen Roger play so far. Milos is still too erratic, especially on shots that require movement. He still doesn't act like he believes in his backhand.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I would be shocked if he got a set off Roger although I haven't seen Roger play so far. Milos is still too erratic, especially on shots that require movement. He still doesn't act like he believes in his backhand.
I expect it to go at least four sets and potentially five. I truly believe Raonic has a shot at pulling off the upset. In Roger's prime I wouldn't say something like that, but that's not the case right now.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:43 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Laura Robson and Heather Watson both out now. Did well to get to the third round though.

Murray's path to the final is a bit easier now that Del Potro is out. Should get through to Federer in the Semi's.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:27 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
So much for my Del Potro prediction

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:36 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Federer will win in four sets I think. Should be a couple of tiebreaks in this one as well. I don't see much hope for Raonic winning in the end though.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:10 PM
kihei

vCash: 900
8-6 in the fifth for Simon, after losing the fourth set 1-6. Must have gone on for another three hours after I went to bed, at least [Edit: too conservative--the match took just under 5 hours in total]. Murray next, so almost certainly the end of the road for Gilles.

Just hard for me to imagine Milos taking three sets off Roger in a Grand Slam. What is Raonic doing better now than last time they met? Stranger things have happened, but I don't see any reason to expect a different result.

Last edited by kihei: 01-19-2013 at 12:53 PM.
kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Anything can happen in tiebreaks I guess. Can't see Fed losing three of them in one match though. Milos won the first set in each of their previous three matches, and lost the last two. The conditions should be most similar to Indian Wells (which uses nominally the same surface even if the weather can affect the courts dramatically in both events) where Fed had his easiest victory over Milos.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:51 PM
weems

Quote:
Breadstick, not a bagel... sometimes you can't be picky when you go to the boulangerie. About what I hoped for.

My opinion of Tomic as a player changed this month. The key for him now is not to flunk the rest of the year like he did in 2012.
Good to see you somewhat coming around on Tomic.
I know his gamestyle isnt for everyone but when you factor in his age and his skillset he could be a dynamite player if he puts in the hard yards. I still think he needs to become a bit quicker and mobile but even if he doesnt he should be a top 10 player at some point next season imo.

At a young age his ability to play big points well is pretty impressive.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:14 PM
kihei

Just got here after the hockey game, but Ferrer is obviously dominating Nishikori 6-2, 6-1. In the little that I have seen so far, Kei is having an off day...and Nishikori, playing very poorly, immediately loses his firs service game in the third set....three straight breaks so far this set, tennis doldrums....Nishikori's winner/unforced error ratios per set: 13/22, 4/16 and so far 3/10 for a 20/48 total in two and a half sets...but Ferrer has caught the blight and is broken for 3-3, so we are back on serve in an ugly set.

Last edited by kihei: 01-19-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old
01-19-2013, 09:27 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Just got here after the hockey game, but Ferrer is obviously dominating Nishikori 6-2, 6-1. In the little that I have seen so far, Kei is having an off day.
You went to the game?

I just checked in after seeing Matt Cronin's tweet about Nishikori's knee going.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Nishikori takes more injury timeouts than just about anyone on tour. He has had visits from the physio in previous matches, too, though. He started the match well but still went down a break and he lost all form in a hurry. Too bad he drew Ferrer - Tsonga and Berdych would have been much better matchups for him.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:57 PM
kihei

Quote:
Nishikori takes more injury timeouts than just about anyone on tour. He has had visits from the physio in previous matches, too, though. He started the match well but still went down a break and he lost all form in a hurry. Too bad he drew Ferrer - Tsonga and Berdych would have been much better matchups for him.
I don't think David is a bad match up for him. Kei is two and one lifetime over Ferrer, one and one on hard courts. I think he's just having a bad day....somehow, though, at 4-4 in the third he is still alive in the match, despite the woes....Kei tried hard, but lost the break again and his knee seems to be bothering him near the end of that game...and David holds at love. On to the quarters. He must now be number four in the world by this time surely.

Last edited by kihei: 01-19-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old
01-19-2013, 10:13 PM
MsWoof

Milos said in an interview that he's had a fever the past 2 nights. Hopefully he's healthy when he plays Roger.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:15 PM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
You went to the game?

I just checked in after seeing Matt Cronin's tweet about Nishikori's knee going.
No, I'm in Toronto. Caught it in a bar with friends.

Those people who play doubles seem to be clogging up the court again, so it seems we have a delay in the action.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:24 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
No, I'm in Toronto. Caught it in a bar with friends.

Those people who play doubles seem to be clogging up the court again, so it seems we have a delay in the action.
Scheduling has been really bad this tourney, I find. Too much doubles on the main courts and this is coming from a doubles fan!

Old
01-19-2013, 10:37 PM
kihei

Doesn't Maria look good in pale lemon? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Old
01-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

I really, really want to watch Nole-Wawrinka match, but I can't. Hopefully, Novak steps it up from last round, and disposes Stan in three sets.

I'm a little surprised with his return game. It doesn't look as solid as it has been in the past (and he acknowledged it in the interview with ESPN), but then again, his serve looks more improved.

BTW, who is your guys' favorite commentator/analyst? Personally, I find myself agreeing (and like listening to) with Darren Cahill the most.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:49 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Laura Robson and Heather Watson both out now. Did well to get to the third round though.

Murray's path to the final is a bit easier now that Del Potro is out. Should get through to Federer in the Semi's.

She did well. Melbourne born.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:50 PM
MsWoof

I like Cahill the most but liked him better in his early days when he wasn't so Americanized. I've been happier with feeds from the UK and Australia where they only talk when they need to and aren't insulting. Yesterday during the Raonic/Kohlschreiber match there was no commentary at all, which is my preference.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:51 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

oooo Tipsarevic bringing the racquet rage pretty early in the match.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:52 PM
darko

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. I heard Lleyton Hewitt is commentating. Is that true?

Lleyton is actually surprisingly good. I hope he's in there more.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:55 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Hope Federer beats him 6-0 in the third set.

Australian commentators are on their knees whenever Tomic is playing, ****ing pathetic. Plus Tomic is a litte *****

That would be Bruce McAvaney. Great when he's doing Aussie Rules Football, not so good when he's doing tennis. He's basically Australian version of Jim Courier. JC always gets on on his knees when an American is playing. McAvaney does it for Aussies.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
I really, really want to watch Nole-Wawrinka match, but I can't. Hopefully, Novak steps it up from last round, and disposes Stan in three sets.

I'm a little surprised with his return game. It doesn't look as solid as it has been in the past (and he acknowledged it in the interview with ESPN), but then again, his serve looks more improved.

BTW, who is your guys' favorite commentator/analyst? Personally, I find myself agreeing (and like listening to) with Darren Cahill the most.
Pretty much anyone but Wilander on Eurosport. Most of the Aussie commentators are obnoxious, but they're rarely on the streams I watch. I'd say Goodall is my favorite. Cahill is definitely the best of the ESPN crew. Everyone else - Gilbert, Fowler, both McEnroes, Drysdale, Shriver, Fernandez - is insufferable.