HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Sundin vs Alfie

View Poll Results: Who is better Daniel Alfredsson or Mats Sundin?
Mats Sundin 117 63.93%
Daniel Alfredsson 66 36.07%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
There is really no way Alfie is better than Sundin, by any stretch. The guy didn't even have as good a team as Alfie did and he still smacked him 4 times in the playoffs, and put up decent number.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
There is really no way Alfie is better than Sundin, by any stretch. The guy didn't even have as good a team as Alfie did and he still smacked him 4 times in the playoffs, and put up decent number.
Leaf fans still clinging onto stuff from 10 years ago? Also that team Sundin played for had double the payroll of Alfredsson's team.

Why are you even trying to use team vs team as a way of saying Sundin is better? It's irrelevant.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Leaf fans still clinging onto stuff from 10 years ago? Also that team Sundin played for had double the payroll of Alfredsson's team.

Why are you even trying to use team vs team as a way of saying Sundin is better? It's irrelevant.
We get told on a daily basis it matters what happened 7 years ago, whats another 3?

Ok ignore teams, Sundin is still better. Its close but Sundin is better.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Steve Bennett*

I was leaning towards Alfredsson but then I remembered Sundin did play for the Canucks, so my answer is Naslund

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:53 PM
Malkin112

hate them both and sundin is vastly overrated, but he is little bit better. I think S koivu is better than both of them

Malkin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:57 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin112 View Post
hate them both and sundin is vastly overrated, but he is little bit better. I think S koivu is better than both of them
/thread

Old
01-18-2013, 08:21 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
That about wraps it up. Koivu wins guys.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Malkin112

thanks

Malkin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:11 PM
inthewings

Quote:

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post

What does payroll have to do with anything?

Evincar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:56 PM
xking23
Petersson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
What does payroll have to do with anything?
When teams are brought up and winning in a team game against each other it is a factor.

Personally it is close. Anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves.

Sundin better offensively, Alfredsson better defensively. Both great leaders. Both have played with pretty bad players for the majority of their careers. Both hit by a year and a half of lockouts. Both have not really any playoff success.

There is no AINEC to be said here. People need to learn that things are allowed to be close.

xking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:23 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
The guy didn't even have as good a team as Alfie did and he still smacked him 4 times in the playoffs, and put up decent number.
That's why the Leafs were the higher seed 3 out of 4 times.

The revisionism around here is hilarious.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:45 AM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

Leafs were higher in the standings but if you recall listening to the radio, reading the papers...the word was that our skill would just overcome the creaky Leafs, that they were thugs, all that stuff. I mean...how do you explain John Rodenburg of Team 1200 staying up until 4 a.m. fielding calls if at least some part of the fanbase didn't expect to win?

Hell, I remember on another sports forum there were $100-$500 bets flying around on the Senators...lack of confidence on our part (the fans) wasn't an issue for sure!

Voted Alfredsson though.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Yeah I want to vote Saku koivu too, 770 points in 1000 games is just too good to be overlooked. What an impressive 75 point best-season he had too!

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

Not that I remember how good teams they had, but how is that relevant?

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:30 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Not that I remember how good teams they had, but how is that relevant?
It kind of pokes holes in the mythology of the vastly superior Senators and the plucky underdog Leafs.

The big choke job was the #2 seed Senators getting swept by the #7 Leafs. Somehow that series has been applied to all 4 meetings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan
Leafs were higher in the standings but if you recall listening to the radio, reading the papers...the word was that our skill would just overcome the creaky Leafs, that they were thugs, all that stuff. I mean...how do you explain John Rodenburg of Team 1200 staying up until 4 a.m. fielding calls if at least some part of the fanbase didn't expect to win?
Sens fans were pretty desperate in those days to prove their team's mettle.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:53 AM
SenateReform

Quote:
Originally Posted by xking23 View Post
When teams are brought up and winning in a team game against each other it is a factor.

Personally it is close. Anyone saying otherwise is kidding themselves.

Sundin better offensively, Alfredsson better defensively. Both great leaders. Both have played with pretty bad players for the majority of their careers. Both hit by a year and a half of lockouts. Both have not really any playoff success.

There is no AINEC to be said here. People need to learn that things are allowed to be close.
Is winning the Stanley cup the only success that can be achieved in the playoffs? Curious because you said both have no playoff success and the only thing Alfie hasn't achieved in the playoffs is a cup or Conn smythe.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:30 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Matts Sundin went into the HHOF with no NHL hardware. I wonder if there are any other players there who failed to win anything at all either individually or as part of a team,during a long NHL career.

He was captain of a team that, long with Philadelphia and Detroit and New York in pre cap days spent far more than other teams could afford, especially a very poor team like the Sens were at that time.

And yet for all that Sundin did not win anything for himself nor was he able to lead his team to anything either.The only thing they hang their hat on is defeating the Sens 4 times.

The reams of writing about Sundin in one of the posts above and which comes up every time this is mentioned, is mostly to do with Leaf Club records, his popularity in Sweden(his big smile is often mentioned )the international teams he(and all top Swedish players) were part of and obscure records like most goals in the second half of the final period or some such nonsense.

He was a first round pick and a very good reliable player for a long time and captained one of the most wealthy teams in the pre cap era with a rabid fan base which includes most of the national sports media.

Alfie was not a first round pick and came to a small market team in precap days when they were nearly and then did go bankrupt, nevertheless he took both himself and led his team much farther than did Sundin.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:41 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Sundin was the more dominant player, IMO. He continually carried Toronto teams with very little in the way of offensive help on his wings.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:09 AM
kihei

vCash: 4667
Sundin, but it's really close. And they both wear/wore the "C" with the utmost distinction.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:47 PM
FrozenJagrt

Shall we count the all star players these two guys have had to play with?

Sundin's best winger was Mogilny who only played one full season, and after that.... erm... Berezin?

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:49 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post

Sundin's best winger was Mogilny who only played one full season, and after that.... erm... Berezin?
Steve Thomas. Duh.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:13 PM
SenateReform

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post

Yes, please list all the stars that played beside Alfredsson. Spezza, Heatley, and then the list seems to stop there...

As for Sundin's wingers, I think there's a few players you missed between Mogilny and Berezin. Nieuwendy, Roberts, Nolan, Wendel Clark come to mind. They were passed their prime playing with Sundin but let's not act like they're somehow worlds worse than Fisher, Arvedsson, Bonk and Schaeffer.

SenateReform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post
Yes, please list all the stars that played beside Alfredsson. Spezza, Heatley, and then the list seems to stop there...

As for Sundin's wingers, I think there's a few players you missed between Mogilny and Berezin. Nieuwendy, Roberts, Nolan, Wendel Clark come to mind. They were passed their prime playing with Sundin but let's not act like they're somehow worlds worse than Fisher, Arvedsson, Bonk and Schaeffer.
You forgot Todd White.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenateReform View Post

lol Alfredsson probably spent more time on a line with Havlat and Hossa than Sundin spent with some of the players you listed (In other words, Sundin basically didn't play with them). I don't really think Sundin playing with 50 point players helps your argument anyways. You also forgot to mention Yashin, who was a decent player back in the day.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote