HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Luongo Thread: Nothing Else Matters

View Poll Results: Where will Luongo end up?
Toronto 1 8.33%
Florida 8 66.67%
Philly 1 8.33%
Washington 0 0%
Tampa Bay 0 0%
Columbus 0 0%
Chicago 0 0%
N.Y. Islanders 0 0%
Detroit 0 0%
Other 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
I almost interpret Gillis' public comments to be panic. Perhaps he missed the boat. If the rumours are true he turned down both Luke Schenn and Dave Bolland in offers up to this point. Schenn could have been parlayed into JVR. I'd take JVR or Bolland for Luonogo.

Either that or, and I think this is more likely, Luongo has gone to Gillis and told him he'll only waive to be traded to either of the FLA teams, and Gillis has asked him to keep that quiet while he tries to get them to offer him something worthwhile. So far only the Panthers have shown interest and they are not offering anything acceptable.

Re Toronto, I can't really understand why Luongo would even want to go to Toronto. They have a rabid media, very bitter fanbase and most importantly, their team is horrid. Sounds like the exact reason you get yourself a NTC - to avoid that tye of situation.
I'll agree with absolutely everything except the bolded. IF...and i think it's not happening, but if Luongo came here and got us in the playoffs, he becomes a God. How can you call us bitter? We've missed the postseason 8 straight years and we are still ok with playing the kids this year.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I'll agree with absolutely everything except the bolded. IF...and i think it's not happening, but if Luongo came here and got us in the playoffs, he becomes a God. How can you call us bitter? We've missed the postseason 8 straight years and we are still ok with playing the kids this year.
The Toronto media has the "young team of the future" thing down pat from their experiences of trying to sell the Blue Jays every year

Old
01-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
The Toronto media has the "young team of the future" thing down pat from their experiences of trying to sell the Blue Jays every year
You guys should really listen more to the TO media, this "they are biased toward TO stuff" is gold. Most of the media here loathes the Leafs. McCowan rails on them daily and he works for the company that owns MLSE.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:35 AM
Jay Cee
P4G

Uh, I live on the east coast dude.

I see more Toronto based content than anything. It's annoying as hell. Just because you have guys who are willing to tell it how it is, doesn't mean that the Toronto media sports complex in general is not trying to sell the team line. Heck, they even have their own team propaganda guy in Darren Dreger now. The fact you don't see that reveals more about you than it does me.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:46 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cee View Post
Uh, I live on the east coast dude.

I see more Toronto based content than anything. It's annoying as hell. Just because you have guys who are willing to tell it how it is, doesn't mean that the Toronto media sports complex in general is not trying to sell the team line. Heck, they even have their own team propaganda guy in Darren Dreger now. The fact you don't see that reveals more about you than it does me.
Okay, prove me wrong. Let's take TSN and Sportsnet as they are easy targets. Each have run preseason specials. Find me ONE anchor, reporter or "hockey insider" that didn't laugh uncontrollably when the words playoffs and Leafs were mentioned.

I don't understand the whole "TO media is manipulating the Luongo trade" thing. They have reported Gillis is asking a high price, are they wrong? They have reported Luongo wants FLA but FLA has minimal interest, are they wrong? They have said EDM and CHI have been rumoured but that would be unlikely...are they wrong?

Old
01-19-2013, 09:55 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Okay, prove me wrong. Let's take TSN and Sportsnet as they are easy targets. Each have run preseason specials. Find me ONE anchor, reporter or "hockey insider" that didn't laugh uncontrollably when the words playoffs and Leafs were mentioned.

I don't understand the whole "TO media is manipulating the Luongo trade" thing. They have reported Gillis is asking a high price, are they wrong? They have reported Luongo wants FLA but FLA has minimal interest, are they wrong? They have said EDM and CHI have been rumoured but that would be unlikely...are they wrong?
You have to excuse some really bitter fans about the all media wearing the Leaf coloured glasses. We know they don't love everything Leaf but they do discuss everything Leaf, as much as it pains a Canuck fan they are the most popular team in the country (****** or not).

The problem I have with the media is they constantly trying to shift focus away from the Canucks (unless Luongo to Leafs), they react like they aren't very good (pray that a new Canadian team can make the jump) and then all of a sudden a bunch of them pick them to make the SCF. In addition, with the change of ownership by the Leafs it has really impacted Sportsnet's coverage of the Canucks. I hope it's just a result of the lockout and when the NHL starts up again we get a lot more updates, but right now they are brutal. We used to have a decent amount of coverage by Murph of training camps, this year was shizzen

Old
01-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
You have to excuse some really bitter fans about the all media wearing the Leaf coloured glasses. We know they don't love everything Leaf but they do discuss everything Leaf, as much as it pains a Canuck fan they are the most popular team in the country (****** or not).

The problem I have with the media is they constantly trying to shift focus away from the Canucks (unless Luongo to Leafs), they react like they aren't very good (pray that a new Canadian team can make the jump) and then all of a sudden a bunch of them pick them to make the SCF. In addition, with the change of ownership by the Leafs it has really impacted Sportsnet's coverage of the Canucks. I hope it's just a result of the lockout and when the NHL starts up again we get a lot more updates, but right now they are brutal. We used to have a decent amount of coverage by Murph of training camps, this year was shizzen
To be fair, other than FAN590 and TSN1050 (both Ontario radio) the TV reporting on Leafs training camp was non-existant.I watch mostly sportsnet Ontario, doesn't Sportsnet West cover the Nucks? I'll admit that the Leafs get the brunt of the coverage from the Ontario based stations. How do you guys find CBC (HNIC)?

Old
01-19-2013, 10:12 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
To be fair, other than FAN590 and TSN1050 (both Ontario radio) the TV reporting on Leafs training camp was non-existant.I watch mostly sportsnet Ontario, doesn't Sportsnet West cover the Nucks? I'll admit that the Leafs get the brunt of the coverage from the Ontario based stations. How do you guys find CBC (HNIC)?
Sportsnet Pacific.

CBC/HNIC is the government's Official Leaf Network. Luckily OLN was already taken as a network or they would have changed.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
HNIC is pretty bad as well. They stick us with the worst commentators and last season didn't even show the Bruins-Canucks game on CBC.....They should have never let Cuthbert go and MacLeans creepy hate for all things Canucks.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
HNIC is pretty bad as well. They stick us with the worst commentators and last season didn't even show the Bruins-Canucks game on CBC.....They should have never let Cuthbert go and MacLeans creepy hate for all things Canucks.
Lol...i miss Bob Cole. Jim Hughson sucks.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
We'll gladly take him back.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

TSN is the worst of the bunch IMO. During the lockout I stopped going to their website because every other story on there was about the Marlies or how Komi is working with a skating coach.

Hell even Donny Taylor on 1040 rags on Sportsnet whom he also works. He complains about having to report on all things Toronto when like 150 people in BC actually care about Kadri stubbing his toe at McDonalds...Pratt I remember told a story once that he worked for TSN when Marty McSorley smoked Donald Brashier in the head with his stick and his bosses decided to lead SportsCentre that night about how the Blue Jays sent a minor leaguer pitcher down to AAA. Also Ron Maclean is a ****ing hack and his bias against the Canucks gives him the same level of journalistic integrity that Mike Milbury has as a General Manager.

Edit:

Kulemin
Bozak
Colbourne
Blacker
2013 4th
2014 4th

For

Luongo
Sauve/Rodin
2014 3rd

Kulemin and Bozak can help us right away and the rest can be packaged at the deadline for a pending UFA

Last edited by Seatoo: 01-19-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old
01-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

As much as I sympathize with the gripe about Eastern Media bias, let's stay on topic here.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Tony embarrassed himself all morning. He seems to have gotten desperate. He isn't stupid, just stupid about hockey.
I've heard him venture into taking about other things (news items, etc.) and I think there's plenty of stupid to go around with him.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:23 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
''Here's Sundin.....right in there.....Sundin's in therreee.......score?...''

Old
01-19-2013, 11:25 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
''Here's Sundin.....right in there.....Sundin's in therreee.......score?...''
"and down the right wing Mats Naslund carries the puck" who's Mats Naslund?

"Sundin passes to Sundin and back to Sundin, the Sundin's are really confusing the D"

and so I stay on topic, I say Luongo stays with us until at least the halfway mark of this season.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Bieksallent

Quote:

"Sundin passes to Sundin and back to Sundin, the Sundin's are really confusing the D"

and so I stay on topic, I say Luongo stays with us until at least the halfway mark of this season.
It makes a lot of sense to keep him until the deadline. Platoon the two of 'em throughout the season up until the trade deadline and then hopefully one of the teams with questionable goaltending is on the playoff bubble. You shouldn't be rotating goalies in the playoffs, so you maximize a backup's worth to the team during the season and move him on for something that will help the team during the playoffs. That's the ideal scenario, but who knows if there will be a market then.

Edit: Any mention of Bob Cole requires an awkward "Oh baby!"

Old
01-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
It makes a lot of sense to keep him until the deadline.
If it were for any position but goalie, I'd be inclined to agree, as teams that desperately need goalies are generally deadline sellers, not buyers, and teams that are buyers generally already have at least acceptable goaltending.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksallent View Post
It makes a lot of sense to keep him until the deadline. Platoon the two of 'em throughout the season up until the trade deadline and then hopefully one of the teams with questionable goaltending is on the playoff bubble. You shouldn't be rotating goalies in the playoffs, so you maximize a backup's worth to the team during the season and move him on for something that will help the team during the playoffs. That's the ideal scenario, but who knows if there will be a market then.

Edit: Any mention of Bob Cole requires an awkward "Oh baby!"
30 teams in the NHL (including us, yes), it's entirely conceivable for some to not preform to expectations. Of the teams who's goaltending isn't up to snuff, how many won't have someone that can rise up, with in their system, to solve that situation? My answer is at least one.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:

I know it"s OT. but if you want a laugh, listen to a Leaf broadcast with Joe Bowen (holy mackinaw)...the guy is literally hammered by the end of the 2nd.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Wizeman*

Luongo and Schneider are not interchangeable pieces of Leggo. Nor are they robots. They are human beings with careers and both have sharply contrasting positions on what is happening here.

Schneider did what he was told the ENTIRE time he was here since he was drafted. Toiled in the AHL for years.

He was then Luongo's back up and had to endure the 12 year contract that surely spelled his DOOM.

Then , instead of simply waiting for OFFER SHEETS and giving us the finger, he SIGNS with us for what I believe is below what his worth is for 3 years , taking MASSIVE amounts of pressure from Gillis. He does this because Gillis tells him its his team now and he is the guy.

In fact, Schneider didnt even want to sign UNTIL Luongo was traded for certain, but Gillis re assured him it would be no sweat.

Well, now we got a fuming Luongo and fuming Schneider.

Both have no illusions of being the bench warmer. Someone is going to get their ego bruised . Someone is going to feel ripped off. And the media is going to be right there every game reminding everyone in the NHL universe about it all.

So, to say Gillis hung on too long for a deal he THOUGHT Luongo was worth , is an understatement and was completely unfair to Schneider.

I dont feel so bad for Lui because he shot his mouth off and publicly demanded a trade instead of keeping his yap shut .

Old
01-19-2013, 12:22 PM
alternate

Quote:

Who's Mats Naslund? He was my first "favourite" hockey player, that's who!

Question for anyone wanting to deal Luongo at the deadline...would you be willing to trade him to the Oilers if they were fighting for that 8th playoff spot? How about the Sharks or Hawks if their goaltending had been inconsistent? Because these would be playoff teams (or bubble teams trying to become playoff teams) it's not likely they're giving up big pieces from their top 23, so it would likely be futures coming back. I dunno, save for a return that seems unlikely for a playoff team to give up, I'd think the entire Western Conference would be off limits at the deadline.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:30 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
Who's Mats Naslund? He was my first "favourite" hockey player, that's who!

Question for anyone wanting to deal Luongo at the deadline...would you be willing to trade him to the Oilers if they were fighting for that 8th playoff spot? How about the Sharks or Hawks if their goaltending had been inconsistent? Because these would be playoff teams (or bubble teams trying to become playoff teams) it's not likely they're giving up big pieces from their top 23, so it would likely be futures coming back. I dunno, save for a return that seems unlikely for a playoff team to give up, I'd think the entire Western Conference would be off limits at the deadline.
Depends on the return but yes. Even at the risk of facing Luongo, if the offer was good. You have to take it. What I hope is we buy quality wingers at the deadline from teams out of the hunt, like say, Montreal and Gionta/Plekanec.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:35 PM
SniggidySnipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Luongo and Schneider are not interchangeable pieces of Leggo. Nor are they robots. They are human beings with careers and both have sharply contrasting positions on what is happening here.

Schneider did what he was told the ENTIRE time he was here since he was drafted. Toiled in the AHL for years.

He was then Luongo's back up and had to endure the 12 year contract that surely spelled his DOOM.

Then , instead of simply waiting for OFFER SHEETS and giving us the finger, he SIGNS with us for what I believe is below what his worth is for 3 years , taking MASSIVE amounts of pressure from Gillis. He does this because Gillis tells him its his team now and he is the guy.

In fact, Schneider didnt even want to sign UNTIL Luongo was traded for certain, but Gillis re assured him it would be no sweat.

Well, now we got a fuming Luongo and fuming Schneider.

Both have no illusions of being the bench warmer. Someone is going to get their ego bruised . Someone is going to feel ripped off. And the media is going to be right there every game reminding everyone in the NHL universe about it all.

So, to say Gillis hung on too long for a deal he THOUGHT Luongo was worth , is an understatement and was completely unfair to Schneider.

I dont feel so bad for Lui because he shot his mouth off and publicly demanded a trade instead of keeping his yap shut .

Nice speculation. If you watch Schneider/Luongos interviews you would see theres no "fuming" going on. Props on Schneiders dedication. He's been waiting for this for what 8 years now? Thats loyalty.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Depends on the return but yes. Even at the risk of facing Luongo, if the offer was good. You have to take it. What I hope is we buy quality wingers at the deadline from teams out of the hunt, like say, Montreal and Gionta/Plekanec.
Montreal doesn't make much sense but I agree with the line of thinking. A guy like Weiss might be not be available now but could be at the deadline. Jamison has until the end of the month to get his backers together and buy the Coyotes... that's far from settled. Doan might become an option. I don't know that the deadline is going to make for pressure points but more players might be available.

Closed Thread