HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 09:51 AM
RogerRoeper*

vCash: 500
BTW, the Toronto media are bigger fans of the Canucks than the Leafs.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Chaz McNulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
Once the Nucks get to the off season assuming that Schneider remains the starter, Lou will be a 34 year old, back up being paid $6.7 million for the next six seasons to ride the pines before his contract dwindles off over the next three seasons. His trade value at that point is highly doubtful.

You are dreaming if you think that Tallon is going to bailout Gillis? You are dreaming and on drugs, if you think that Tallon is going to bail out Gillis without the Nucks retaining a lot of salary and/or taking back a bad contract.

BTW As a former agent, except for the Lou contract, Gillis has done a good job resigning existing talent. His record trading with Tallon has favored the Nucks in the short term and the Cats in the longer term, which makes sense given that the Nucks were and are cup contenders and the Cats rebuilders.
So you don't believe that if the Canucks waived Luongo that anybody would pick him up?

Old
01-19-2013, 10:00 AM
seanlinden

It's truly amusing to watch Canucks fans just say... "we'll trade him to Florida".... completely ignoring that goaltending was not an issue for them last year, and they have a goalie who will likely cost 1/2 as much, who has expressed a strong desire to finish his career in Florida.

Considering that the Panthers are one of the worst offensive teams in the league, any budget space they do have can likely be spent on adding more firepower, or retaining the firepower they currently have.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:01 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
It's truly amusing to watch Canucks fans just say... "we'll trade him to Florida".... completely ignoring that goaltending was not an issue for them last year, and they have a goalie who will likely cost 1/2 as much, who has expressed a strong desire to finish his career in Florida.

Considering that the Panthers are one of the worst offensive teams in the league, any budget space they do have can likely be spent on adding more firepower, or retaining the firepower they currently have.
Exactly. The Florida option has never made any sense whatsoever. And ironically, it was the Toronto media pushing that rumour.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
Just read I in the Eye's post if you don't understand why Luongo isn't being traded.
That post is pure spin doctor. If the Leafs offered you a 1st, Rielly and Finn...would you accept? Of course you would...even though it in no way helps the Canucks right now. It's easy to say "we prefer to keep him right now", because it's a nice way of saying "our GM misjudged the market for Luongo". If the intent was to run both Luongo and Schnieder, why did Gillis start this madness in the 1st place? He is the reason Luongo wants out. Had Gillis not got this big ugly ball rolling....there wouldn't be an issue.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz McNulty View Post
So you don't believe that if the Canucks waived Luongo that anybody would pick him up?
Nope, i just believe nobody will trade what Gillis is asking for. I have never disputed Luongo's ability. I don't even care about his contract.....the cost to aquire is the MAIN and actually ONLY issue.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz McNulty View Post
Nobody. Canucks would have to take some salary back to trade him.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Vitto79

Not sure why the Canucks are dragging this out.

2 teams are options and its the Leafs and Panthers. He wants to go to the Panthers

why not do a 3 team deal that works for all. Lou for Theodore or Clemmensen and Markstrom then Vancouver flips Markstrom to TO for Bozak, picks

FLA- Luongo
Van- Theodore or Clemmensen, Bozak, picks
TO- Markstrom

Old
01-19-2013, 10:25 AM
ZKassian9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Nobody. Canucks would have to take some salary back to trade him.
Hahaha Good luck with Reimer and Scrivens, hahaha.
Canucks will be fine with the leagues best tandem.
At the end of the day if there is no market for Lu (which there will be as not all 29 teams will be happy with their goaltending), Canucks could always trade Schneider and get even more with no restrictions.

Last edited by spiny norman: 01-19-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: not needed
Old
01-19-2013, 10:25 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

2 teams are options and its the Leafs and Panthers. He wants to go to the Panthers

why not do a 3 team deal that works for all. Lou for Theodore or Clemmensen and Markstrom then Vancouver flips Markstrom to TO for Bozak, picks

FLA- Luongo
TO- Markstrom
I'd actually really like Theodore on the Leafs. Markstrom has nice promise, but the Leafs have so many goalies with potential, it's overkill.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
I'd actually really like Theodore on the Leafs. Markstrom has nice promise, but the Leafs have so many goalies with potential, it's overkill.
Markstrom is a top prospect and is the Panthers G of the future. Leafs need a guy like hiim. Remember Rask for Raycroft? Leafs should be looking for a young G. Bernier is not a bad idea either but the Kings dont have to move him

Old
01-19-2013, 10:31 AM
ZKassian9

Quote:
Why don't the Canucks just trade Lu for Markstrom instead of taking Leaf scraps. Then develop him and have another top tandem. Don't worry Leafs fans, Canucks don't want to trade with you either. Lu also doesn't want to play there.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:36 AM
seanlinden

Quote:

FLA- Luongo
TO- Markstrom
Florida's a budget team. Theodore costs $1.5m right now, and if he has a similar year to the one he did last year (quite similar to Luongo's numbers last year), he'll be up for a raise, but likely nowhere near Luongo's $6m+ salary. Theo's also come out and said he's not waiving his NTC, IIRC.

If Theo regresses this year, Luongo is certainly a player they'll look at. But, if he posts similar numbers, they'll probably just sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal in the neighborhood of $3m, and call it a day. Whether they retain Clemmensen will depend on how Markstrom plays this year.

Last edited by seanlinden: 01-19-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old
01-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZKassian9 View Post
Why don't the Canucks just trade Lu for Markstrom instead of taking Leaf scraps. Then develop him and have another top tandem. Don't worry Leafs fans, Canucks don't want to trade with you either. Lu also doesn't want to play there.
Says absolutely all i need to know about him if this is true.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:40 AM
ZKassian9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Says absolutely all i need to know about him if this is true.
Why? Because he doesn't want to play for a perennial loser. How many good free agents are lining up to sign in TO? What does that say about everyone? Or, what does that say about TO.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:41 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Does Florida want Luongo? All I've heard is they're not offering any good prospects for him at all.

A team with money issues makes no sense to trade Markstrom for Luongo, especially when goaltending isn't an issue for them.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:43 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Nope, i just believe nobody will trade what Gillis is asking for. I have never disputed Luongo's ability. I don't even care about his contract.....the cost to aquire is the MAIN and actually ONLY issue.
If it is that simple then why have you made, quite literally, more than a thousand posts on HF about Luongo in the last 6 months. Seriously, have a look at your post history. You're obsessed.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:43 AM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
BTW, the Toronto media are bigger fans of the Canucks than the Leafs.
Every time I read one of your posts I feel like I just ate a fortune cookie.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:46 AM
ZKassian9

Quote:
Does Florida want Luongo? All I've heard is they're not offering any good prospects for him at all.

A team with money issues makes no sense to trade Markstrom for Luongo, especially when goaltending isn't an issue for them.
Yes Tallon does want Lu, as does ownership. Nobody know what Florida is offering, just everyone guessing. I am saying if Leafs are only adding scraps, then what is the difference. No guarantees in Markstrom (Leaf fans should know what unproven prospects bring to the table, you've seen enough of them), but there is with Lu. Markstrom has actually had some serious injuries and has been very inconsistent in the AHL this year.

Old
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Florida's a budget team. Theodore costs $1.5m right now, and if he has a similar year to the one he did last year (quite similar to Luongo's numbers last year), he'll be up for a raise, but likely nowhere near Luongo's $6m+ salary. Theo's also come out and said he's not waiving his NTC, IIRC.

If Theo regresses this year, Luongo is certainly a player they'll look at. But, if he posts similar numbers, they'll probably just sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal in the neighborhood of $3m, and call it a day. Whether they retain Clemmensen will depend on how Markstrom plays this year.
did the Panthers not sign like 6 UFAs to crazy high contracts last yr? They are still way under the cap max.

Heck make Vancouver take back a contract like Upshall if the Luongo one is higher than they want.

Theodore should be a back up at this stage in his career. Its fine if they dont deal for Luongo but then Markstrom should be the man later this yr if they are not in the playoff race. If in it then next yr

Old
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Canucks 13/14 Cap:

With the Elder signing -> - 60,403,333 - 13 players - 3,596,667 remaining to sign nine players.
With a Ballard buyout -> 56,203,333 - 12 players - 8,096,667 remaining to sign ten players.

Good luck Gillis.
I don't think he'll need it. Gillis has managed things perfectly. Let's look at these 9 or 10 players shall we?

Weise, Ebbett, Vandermeer, Alberts, Tanev, Lapierre, Malhotra, Raymond and Higgins.

My goodness, whatsoever will Mike Gillis do? He has a bunch of 3rd/4th liners to sign and a couple of 6th defenceman...oh the horror.

Weise, Ebbett, Vandermeer, Alberts will all be less than a million or around that point.
Tanev will get a modest raise (he's an RFA) but I doubt he'll be making more than 2M. Lapierre may get 1.5.

Malhotra and Raymond may or may not return - it will depend on their performance this season. Personally I doubt it, but they can return at a reduced salary if they want to come back.

Which leaves Chris Higgins? Who signed here for cheaper (1.9) because he loves playing here?

Wow, we sure are screwed.

All jokes aside, with the Edler signing the Canucks have their top 4 and Schneider locked up for cheap for at least the next 3 years. The top line is locked up for cheap for another few years, and Kesler is locked up for cheap for several more years.

The Canucks are in fantastic shape moving forward.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:48 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
did the Panthers not sign like 6 UFAs to crazy high contracts last yr? They are still way under the cap max.

Heck make Vancouver take back a contract like Upshall if the Luongo one is higher than they want.

Theodore should be a back up at this stage in his career. Its fine if they dont deal for Luongo but then Markstrom should be the man later this yr if they are not in the playoff race. If in it then next yr
Not based on his play. He helped get them to a playoff spot. Something Luongo could never do. Theodore was very good last season. And he's cheap.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:49 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Yes Tallon does want Lu, as does ownership. Nobody know what Florida is offering, just everyone guessing. I am saying if Leafs are only adding scraps, then what is the difference. No guarantees in Markstrom (Leaf fans should know what unproven prospects bring to the table, you've seen enough of them), but there is with Lu. Markstrom has actually had some serious injuries and has been very inconsistent in the AHL this year.
So we don't know what they're offering, and you can discount all media reports stating Florida isn't offering any good prospects, but you're comfortable telling me ownership and Tallon wants Luongo?

Old
01-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Diamonddog01

Quote:

If you look at how Tallon is building the team, it actually makes more sense than you think.

Markstrom is 4 years younger than Schneider, so Luongo would be the starter and allow Markstrom to develop slowly - just like Van did with Schneids. Given that he's signed a bunch of vets has stopgaps until the youngsters are ready (astute) in numerous skating positions it makes sense to do it in goal as well.

Tallon is certainly interested, and has admitted as such. So if we are going to trade Lou for scraps, we'll trade him to where his family is. Win win for all parties.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:50 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Pat

Quote:
Why? Because he doesn't want to play for a perennial loser. How many good free agents are lining up to sign in TO? What does that say about everyone? Or, what does that say about TO.
Nope. Because all he has said is "i'll do what's best for the team". Makes him a liar. If he isn't confident that he can win in TO...that's fine. If he doesn't want to play in a packed house every home game...i'm good. If he can't handle the "media pressure"...so be it. I guess the "professional" tag you guys have labeled him with is a bit tarnished.

Closed Thread