HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Sign and Trade:Oilers/Bruins

Old
01-19-2013, 01:49 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

vCash: 500
Last i heard whiteny was saying he doubted he would ever be 100%... and was having a hard time being an NHL caliber dman. I like the guy alot and hope he makes a comeback but until i see him play 20 games healthy, i wouldnt go near him at the moment.

horton... is now a concusion risk. i wouldnt plan on him long term as one of my top 3-4 main building blocks either

i think this trade idea is premature. Boston can wait and see how Hamilton adjusts to the NHL. If he is ok, they dont need Whitney at all. While they put Hamilton to the 15-20 game test, they will get an idea how Horton is doing. If Horton is 'affordable' as a 5-6 depth guy up front, they can resign him. BUT if he wants to be paid as a top line guy then he needs to be let go. Edmonton cant afford him as a top line guy either.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:26 AM
Oates2Neely

Whitney isn't a quarter if the player he used to be. His value is at an all-time low. Horton more valuable

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:54 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
Last i heard whiteny was saying he doubted he would ever be 100%... and was having a hard time being an NHL caliber dman. I like the guy alot and hope he makes a comeback but until i see him play 20 games healthy, i wouldnt go near him at the moment.

horton... is now a concusion risk. i wouldnt plan on him long term as one of my top 3-4 main building blocks either

i think this trade idea is premature. Boston can wait and see how Hamilton adjusts to the NHL. If he is ok, they dont need Whitney at all. While they put Hamilton to the 15-20 game test, they will get an idea how Horton is doing. If Horton is 'affordable' as a 5-6 depth guy up front, they can resign him. BUT if he wants to be paid as a top line guy then he needs to be let go. Edmonton cant afford him as a top line guy either.
What he said was that he may never be normal, but was excited at the prospect of being able to play well again.

I don't think this deal makes any sense but I am curious how Bruin fans think things would play out so that Horton can be resigned. Excluding Savard's money they will have $9.5M left to sign 6 guys. Rask makes $3.5 now and if he plays well is looking at $4M+. Horton's cap hit is $4M but his salary is actually $5.5M. If he has a bounce back year he will get at least $4M and possibly closer to $5.

Last edited by Fourier: 01-19-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:06 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post

Yes.
I'm not sure that deserved the double face palm.

If Horton wants the same salary he has now, the B's can't do it.

7m to sign: Horton, another F (let's say it's a guy from Prov. for 800k), 2 dmen (1 a top 6 guy, another a 7) and 2 goalies.

If Horton wants 4m, that leaves 3m for Rask, a starting D, a reserve F and a reserve D.

So, yeah I can see the B's not really trying to resign him.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:21 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Whitney isn't a quarter if the player he used to be. His value is at an all-time low. Horton more valuable
How do you figure that, Nathan Horton's concussion problems make him a walking time bomb. Can Horton come back and play the type of game he's used to is very questionable. Time will tell on each one's value, but right now that value is in question due to both their injures.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:15 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
What he said was that he may never be normal, but was excited at the prospect of being able to play well again.

I don't think this deal makes any sense but I am curious how Bruin fans think things would play out so that Horton can be resigned. Excluding Savard's money they will have $9.5M left to sign 6 guys. Rask makes $3.5 now and if he plays well is looking at $4M+. Horton's cap hit is $4M but his salary is actually $5.5M. If he has a bounce back year he will get at least $4M and possibly closer to $5.
First off, they don't have 6 guys to sign, they have a bunch of forward prospects who on a lesser team would probably already be in the NHL. Now I'm not saying they are world beaters but they are what look to be pretty good 2nd and 3rd liners and they make $875,000 per year and they will have 2 forward spots at most to fill if things stay the same. Adding one of those guys and signing Horton fills the forward roster.

On D they already have enough guys signed to play and be a 7th D if they add a prospect who makes $1 million or less and if Rask signs for $5 million that means that they would have somewhere between $4-5 million to sign Horton which isn't likely to be enough but it is enough for them to decide if Horton is the guy they want and if he is then maybe we start to see some other players moved out.

The amount of cap space they will need is not insurmountable, it is likely to be $1 million or less and they could get that by trading 4th liners and letting rookies play.

It just will come down to how badly they want to keep Horton, what has happened between now and then(trades, etc), and whether or not they think they have someone to replace him.

If they dealt a higher priced player such as Krejci it would open the door to a lot more than re-signing Horton.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:36 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post

You heard only partially true. It is true that Whitney may never be 100%, he has openly said so, but even if his mobility is less than it once was, he still has one of the best first passes in the league and will still be a decent NHL defenseman, just not a top pair one like he has for most of his career until now.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:09 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
First off, they don't have 6 guys to sign, they have a bunch of forward prospects who on a lesser team would probably already be in the NHL. Now I'm not saying they are world beaters but they are what look to be pretty good 2nd and 3rd liners and they make $875,000 per year and they will have 2 forward spots at most to fill if things stay the same. Adding one of those guys and signing Horton fills the forward roster.

On D they already have enough guys signed to play and be a 7th D if they add a prospect who makes $1 million or less and if Rask signs for $5 million that means that they would have somewhere between $4-5 million to sign Horton which isn't likely to be enough but it is enough for them to decide if Horton is the guy they want and if he is then maybe we start to see some other players moved out.

The amount of cap space they will need is not insurmountable, it is likely to be $1 million or less and they could get that by trading 4th liners and letting rookies play.

It just will come down to how badly they want to keep Horton, what has happened between now and then(trades, etc), and whether or not they think they have someone to replace him.

If they dealt a higher priced player such as Krejci it would open the door to a lot more than re-signing Horton.
Let me change the terminology I used. The $9.5M I quoted would be from 17 spots filled once you remove Savard. Actually it should be $10.4M because of the bonus cushion. An NHL roster is 23 players (You could get away with 22 for a short period but it won't be long before injuries force your hand.) As a result, they would have $10.4M to fill 6 roster spots.

You just spent $9M of that to fill two of those slots. You now have $1.4M left to fill 4roster spots and you had better hope you can play the year injury free.

I have actually wondered if they might trade Krejci given the depth on the wing and the fact that they have Seguin. This is the kind of thing I was asking about since I cannt see how the Bruins could keep both Rask and Horton without some kind of more significant roster move unless there is a major injury.

Last edited by Fourier: 01-20-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 06:38 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Boston trades their only top power forward who fits into a top 6 role for a d-man who's had heath issues for many years.

Edmonton trades their only veteran PMD for a forward with consistency issues. Eric Cole, Jeffrey Lupul or Patrick O'Sullivan ring a bell? Where does this leave Edmonton's blueline? We need Whitney so that we can actually say we don't have the worst blueline in the NHL. No matter how much Dubby improves he'll look like crap if he's facing 40 shots per night.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 11:12 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Boston may or may not be able to sign Horton at the end of the year.

They would not trade him for Whitney now, because their First line Wing is more important than a 5th defenseman. I know Whitney when healthy is better than a 5th defenseman, but my point is the Bruins top 4 is pretty darn good, so adding another defenseman would be surplus

So now way Boston would trade horton for Whitney now.

Boston might be able to sign Horton after the season, but honestly if he wants to much money they may have to let him go.

In terms of Whitney, I suspect Boston would only consider signing him in the offseason if he was willing to take a significant hometown discount, and thus sign for less than boychuck money. Maybe even ference money (2 mil). Basically they only consider signing him if it makes financial sense to do so, and allows them to move a different defenseman

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:47 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

As a fan of neither team...I honestly do not see how this helps either team.

The last thing EDM wants to do, IMO, is trade a Top 4 dman...even if it is Whitney...

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote