HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

St. Louis Signs Wade Redden [1 Year/$800,000]

Old
01-19-2013, 01:12 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
I think Hitchcock just wants more discipline out of Cole, as it is vital to his style of play. Big or flashy hits don't mean anything to Hitch, and positioning means everything. I think Cole will get that, and I have full faith, it just has to be more consistent. In a sprint of a season, we can't really put all our faith into the possibility that Cole gets more consistent right away.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Oshie97

vCash: 500
Yeah I don't get the Cole hate either, most d men do take longer to develop. Redden is depth, which is not bad to have with the upcoming schedule but I don't think he was brought in because Cole looked bad. We shall see I guess but I'm thinking Cole is better suited for the NHL than Redden at this point.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:16 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
So you've got nothing, either, except a hard-on for Ian Cole.

Got it.
Let's not act like you have jack other than your opinion either.

I want Cole to be the missing piece on defense. Then we would be set. I haven't seen enough out of him to be able to say that he isn't. But based on the way the Blues are handling him, it doesn't appear to me that they view him with that high of upside anymore. He was drafted in the first round 6 years ago. He was drafted a couple spots away from Ryan McDonagh and Kevin Shattenkirk. PK Subban was drafted in the next round. Carl Gunnarsson was drafted in the 7th round that year. He should be making a significant contribution to the club by now. But they seem reluctant to thrust him into a significant role. Why do you think that is? Players' primes these days are from 25-30. He'll turn 24 next month. If he doesn't take a major step in the next year, he's probably not going to. I hope I am wrong about Cole, but I'm pretty sure I'm right. He's probably not going to amount to anything more than a bottom pairing defenseman in the NHL. He has all the physical tools, but I sense that his hockey sense or discipline is lacking.

jmwc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:20 AM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Yeah I don't get the Cole hate either, most d men do take longer to develop. Redden is depth, which is not bad to have with the upcoming schedule but I don't think he was brought in because Cole looked bad. We shall see I guess but I'm thinking Cole is better suited for the NHL than Redden at this point.
It's not hate, it's more concern over his development. I know that defensemen take longer to develop, but not this long in the current NHL. He's 6 years away from being drafted in the first round. He turns 24 next month. Most players enter their prime at 25. After this year, he only has 3 more until UFA. He needs to be ready by now, and I don't think the Blues think he is. I hope I'm wrong.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:11 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

MOD Note: Lets keep it friendly!

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Its going to be wierd seeing him in the NHL again if he gets the chance. Good luck to him though, gets abit too much hate around here.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 10:57 AM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Not a bad deal for the Blues. Low risk. I think they're going to be one of the teams to beat in the Western Conference.
Low risk for the Blues and could be a high return for Redden . He playing on a great team with great team d . This should make him look good and with a 1 year deal he could cash in next year

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 11:01 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
6.5 was the cap hit.

He's receiving $5M from the Rangers this year and $3.33M next year.
Its a pro-rated $5M. Its $3M and change. He got $1M as a signing bonus. $4M. Pro-rate it. Its $2M and change.

Redden will get the $3,333,333 spread out over 2 years.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:09 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Its a pro-rated $5M. Its $3M and change. He got $1M as a signing bonus. $4M. Pro-rate it. Its $2M and change.

Obviously it's pro-rated.

And according to CapGeek (rarely wrong), it's $5M salary this year, not $4M + $1M signing bonus.

And it's not $3M and change.

Basic maths will tell you it's $2.926M...

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:10 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

He will be making over 4 mil this season. The prorated money from the rangers comes out to about 2.9 mil the signing bonus is not prorated that was paid under the old CBA. Then from the Blues he gets a prorated 800k which comes out to about 464k. So this year he will be making 4.364 Million. The next 2 seasons the rangers owe him 1.667 mil each year which will not be prorated plus whatever another team wants to pay him.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Smokey McCanucks

Great, great signing by St. Louis. I've not been sold on the Blues hype this season, everyone seems to love them but I'm not convinced. This, though, tells me that that's a smart organization they have there. Veteran d-man with something to prove + very affordable contract + Hitchcock is nothing but gravy. I don't think we've heard the last of Wade Redden, he's gonna be this season's Zidlicky.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:42 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
Or it could be the other option in this scenario: Wade Redden is a depth signing due to the condensed schedule, just as Colin White would've been had he made the team.

Cola and Huskins were last year, obviously much before Cole was expected to have a locked-in spot on the roster.
Except that Cole was given every chance to lock it down last year.
We gave Cole 4 different stints as Pietrangelo's partner(2 of them extended over 5 games) and he simply couldn't handle it. Colaiacovo was the more effective player in that role, and Cola was not overly effective last year.

Look; I actually like Cole. I'd have rather let Jackman walk and given that spot to Cole. But that didn't happen. We need to deal with the reality of Hitchcocks team; and the way things look right now Cole is either sitting or sent back down. Personally; I'd prefer he get sent back down with a specific set of goals to achieve. I don't like the thought of him being relegated to "7th man" status.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Novacain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Except that Cole was given every chance to lock it down last year.
We gave Cole 4 different stints as Pietrangelo's partner(2 of them extended over 5 games) and he simply couldn't handle it. Colaiacovo was the more effective player in that role, and Cola was not overly effective last year.

Look; I actually like Cole. I'd have rather let Jackman walk and given that spot to Cole. But that didn't happen. We need to deal with the reality of Hitchcocks team; and the way things look right now Cole is either sitting or sent back down. Personally; I'd prefer he get sent back down with a specific set of goals to achieve. I don't like the thought of him being relegated to "7th man" status.
You seem to be the only Blues fan here that thinks that's "the reality"

Novacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:57 PM
jmwc95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacain View Post
You seem to be the only Blues fan here that thinks that's "the reality"
No he's not.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

vCash: 50
No he's not the only one. Jackman and Russell are in for sure, and Wade Redden didn't choose St. Louis to not have at least a chance of playing every night. Cole needs to step his game up or he'll be sitting in the press box.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:16 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
Obviously it's pro-rated.

And according to CapGeek (rarely wrong), it's $5M salary this year, not $4M + $1M signing bonus.

And it's not $3M and change.

Basic maths will tell you it's $2.926M...
I don't believe it is prorated because he was in the AHL

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:38 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
He did not play in the AHL this year.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:26 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
He did not play in the NHL as he was locked out.

NHL contract.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote