HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12'/13' Draft Thread: Something, Something... SETH JONES!

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 07:39 PM
BigWilly

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Don't think Lazar sniffs the second round, but who knows.
I was more going off of their Central Scouting rankings.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:14 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
PK is 6'0.. That's a good 3+ inches taller.
Not during his draft year - he was 5'10, but 200lbs.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._draft_review/

01-17-2013, 09:27 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Not during his draft year - he was 5'10, but 200lbs.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article..._draft_review/
With or without skates?

01-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

If the Leafs were to draft around 15 (unlikely, but if we perhaps made the playoffs), I'm extremely interested in Lazar.

A young forward who excels defensively generally shows the player's dedication to winning and doing the difficult stuff. That's the sort of stuff you want on your team, and that type of player will work their ass off to improve their offensive game.

Really like Lazar.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:41 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
With or without skates?
My point is he grew a bit it seems, so the same could happen with his brother.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:41 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Well looking at the current roster, I'm starting to think the organization is OK with another lost year. I don't think as we are, we can compete. You never know with a short season, but I'm guessing we are bottom 3-5 this year.

Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Drouin range.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:42 PM
67Cup

With Leo Komarov appearing to have made the Leafs, all but one of the Leafs' 2006 draft picks will have played in the NHL. That is an amazing result for one year.

1. Tlusty
2. Kulemin
4. Reimer
4. Holzer
6. Stalberg
6. Rueggesegger (Tyler, we scarcely knew ye.)
6. Komarov

Holzer also appears to have made the team, for now, and will presumably add to his 2 games played total.

It is interesting that a number of the later picks have been more effective than Jiri Tlusty, but he sees to have found a useful role in Carolina.

The one thing that you might take from this list is that it might be wise to let Thommie Bergman and his European scouts make more choices than seemed to be the norm during the Burke regime.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:48 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post
With Leo Komarov appearing to have made the Leafs, all but one of the Leafs' 2006 draft picks will have played in the NHL. That is an amazing result for one year.

1. Tlusty
2. Kulemin
4. Reimer
4. Holzer
6. Stalberg
6. Rueggesegger (Tyler, we scarcely knew ye.)
6. Komarov

Holzer also appears to have made the team, for now, and will presumably add to his 2 games played total.

It is interesting that a number of the later picks have been more effective than Jiri Tlusty, but he sees to have found a useful role in Carolina.

The one thing that you might take from this list is that it might be wise to let Thommie Bergman and his European scouts make more choices than seemed to be the norm during the Burke regime.

I saw that a while ago. It's incredible, really. I want to know who ran the draft that year. 4 of those picks where euro. Does Bergman advise on them all?

Old
01-18-2013, 01:11 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post
Well looking at the current roster, I'm starting to think the organization is OK with another lost year. I don't think as we are, we can compete. You never know with a short season, but I'm guessing we are bottom 3-5 this year.

Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Drouin range.
Getting one of these guys with their potential to become strong offensive players would be an addition that this team really needs. If we got them and they could become a top sixer with the ability to score 60-70 points (maybe more) it would really improve the team.

With a team that will likely not attain a bonafide top 10 number one center (unless Kadri surprises everyone or one magically comes in ours grasps) this team will need to have a two scoring lines that can both consistently be offensive threats. Something like this:

Lupol-Kadri-Kessel
JvR-Grabo-Barkov/Drouin

If you pair a top six like that with a third line that can shutdown almost anyone, then our forwards would be able to compete. Our defense and goaltending still need work.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:14 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
Getting one of these guys with their potential to become strong offensive players would be an addition that this team really needs. If we got them and they could become a top sixer with the ability to score 60-70 points (maybe more) it would really improve the team.

With a team that will likely not attain a bonafide top 10 number one center (unless Kadri surprises everyone or one magically comes in ours grasps) this team will need to have a two scoring lines that can both consistently be offensive threats. Something like this:

Lupol-Kadri-Kessel
JvR-Grabo-Barkov/Drouin

If you pair a top six like that with a third line that can shutdown almost anyone, then our forwards would be able to compete. Our defense and goaltending still need work.
I would think any one of those 4 would be groomed for the 1C. I think of all of them Monahan may be least likely to be a 1C, but still has that potential. With all the other aspects he can bring, he will still be a great center.

Barkov, if he pans out as it seems, would be the perfect fit.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:22 PM
calcal798

Quote:
I would think any one of those 4 would be groomed for the 1C. I think of all of them Monahan may be least likely to be a 1C, but still has that potential. With all the other aspects he can bring, he will still be a great center.

Barkov, if he pans out as it seems, would be the perfect fit.
Doesn't Drouin currently play on the wing?

Barkov would definitely be the best fit, but I still don't think any of them would give us a top 10 center that people are expecting. And unless we win the lottery or Kessel + Phaneuf get injured I dont think we will have a shot at Mackinnon.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Badger Mayhew*

Lazar's my choice for around 16-18.

Still don't know what we'll do about that first line centre, but hey, the rest of our forward lines are looking pretty damn good in a couple years.

Lupul-XXX-Kessel
Van-Riemsdyk-Kadri-Kulemin
Komarov-Lazar-Biggs
Brown-McClement-Ashton
(Orr)

Old
01-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
This is 2012 draft news:

If Morgan Rielly was not there at 5th, the Leafs were going to trade 5th and 35th for 12th and 21st to the Buffalo Sabres.

At around 1:30.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:44 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
This is 2012 draft news:

If Morgan Rielly was not there at 5th, the Leafs were going to trade 5th and 35th for 12th and 21st to the Buffalo Sabres.

At around 1:30.
OK! So lets debate, Rielly is gone to NYI, who would you have taken at 12 and 21?

Grigorenko in a flash and laughed! I know at the time I liked Gaunce, I would've wanted him.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:42 PM
King Mapes
HF's King

Quote:
OK! So lets debate, Rielly is gone to NYI, who would you have taken at 12 and 21?

Grigorenko in a flash and laughed! I know at the time I liked Gaunce, I would've wanted him.
You never know if Sabres would have taken Grigs at 5, they might have had him ranked very high (some teams did). At 21, Subban, I said I wanted to move up in the range (from our 2nd rounder) to get him. Goalies are risky though so he still might not even pan out who knows but he is an elite goalie prospect.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:54 PM
TheNorthFace
The Magician

Grigorenko and Gaunce for me.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:24 PM
King Mapes
HF's King

For those wondering updates on some guys, 1 goal 3 assists for Drouin with 10 minutes left. 10-1 Moose and I think Mack has just 1 point.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:47 PM
"Craigs on it"

I think Grigorenko would have been Buffalo pick at #5, they stated before the draft they wanted a center and Galchenyuk was already gone, Forsberg could have been a possibility. Am I even glad that Buffalo didnt make that trade, I worked out well for both teams.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Subban has really impressed me today. I definitely would love to pick him up in the 2nd round.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:27 AM
The Mentalist
A Hockey Mentalist

Steve Spott finally decided to use Justin Bailey to break up a nil nil shootout going into the 6th round, obcourse Bailey dekes and roofs a beauty of a goal to ice the win for Kitch.

Oh Spott, wise up, this kid is a talented kid. Should have been of the top 3 shooters for the Rangers.

Leivo is a Ranger now, was ok, almost lost the puck off his stick in the shootout though. Wasn't pretty.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:38 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Steve Spott finally decided to use Justin Bailey to break up a nil nil shootout going into the 6th round, obcourse Bailey dekes and roofs a beauty of a goal to ice the win for Kitch.

Oh Spott, wise up, this kid is a talented kid. Should have been of the top 3 shooters for the Rangers.

Leivo is a Ranger now, was ok, almost lost the puck off his stick in the shootout though. Wasn't pretty.
I've definitely become more and more interested as the season went on (and I was interested before the season began). Dude's got so much raw potential. I'm definitely a bigger fan of him than Kujawinski. I have this bad feeling that Kujawinski is just going to be one of those guys that teases with his potential, always tantalizing enough to keep you hoping he breaks out. But I have this feeling he never will. Give me Bailey.

And Laurent Dauphin. Oh boy am I a fan. Late addition to the top prospect game, and first star of the game. Guy is going to be a player.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
I've definitely become more and more interested as the season went on (and I was interested before the season began). Dude's got so much raw potential. I'm definitely a bigger fan of him than Kujawinski. I have this bad feeling that Kujawinski is just going to be one of those guys that teases with his potential, always tantalizing enough to keep you hoping he breaks out. But I have this feeling he never will. Give me Bailey.

And Laurent Dauphin. Oh boy am I a fan. Late addition to the top prospect game, and first star of the game. Guy is going to be a player.
haven't watched dauphin wanna give some input?

I definitely like Bailey over Kujawinski though.

01-19-2013, 11:54 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
haven't watched dauphin wanna give some input?

I definitely like Bailey over Kujawinski though.
He's a little bit underweight at the moment but that can be fixed long term. Not a huge issue.

He's a rookie right now in the Q, after staying an extra year in AAA (which allowed him to dominate and get lots of ice time) and in the rookie scoring race. He has talented linemates but he's very skilled himself.

He works very hard, always hustling. Good, quick shot. Good hands. Good vision. Not high end skill in any part of his game but he's very well rounded and is sort of good at evrything.

What The Scouting Report says about him.

"he same skill set on display from Dauphin in my first two viewings in Halifax. An above average skater with good agility who protects the puck well for a 170lb. forward. He showed his above average vision off, but with his equally talented linemates created magic for the all QMJHL line of Sorensen-Dauphin-Erne. Dauphin has a stunningly quick accurate release, which he used to perfection on Team Orr’s second goal of the game."

"He is a great skater and shows good hustle in both ends, but also uses his plus hands to his advantage to score some highlight reel goals"

Old
01-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinnishKulemin View Post
He's a little bit underweight at the moment but that can be fixed long term. Not a huge issue.

He's a rookie right now in the Q, after staying an extra year in AAA (which allowed him to dominate and get lots of ice time) and in the rookie scoring race. He has talented linemates but he's very skilled himself.

He works very hard, always hustling. Good, quick shot. Good hands. Good vision. Not high end skill in any part of his game but he's very well rounded and is sort of good at evrything.

What The Scouting Report says about him.

"he same skill set on display from Dauphin in my first two viewings in Halifax. An above average skater with good agility who protects the puck well for a 170lb. forward. He showed his above average vision off, but with his equally talented linemates created magic for the all QMJHL line of Sorensen-Dauphin-Erne. Dauphin has a stunningly quick accurate release, which he used to perfection on Team Orr’s second goal of the game."

"He is a great skater and shows good hustle in both ends, but also uses his plus hands to his advantage to score some highlight reel goals"
so basically a jack of all trades who is capable of showing some good flash. Interesting, will be cool where he is ranked in the future. Still wonder about Frederik Gauthier.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Epictetus
Create yourself.

I agree with you guys on Justin Bailey. I think he's worth taking a shot at with a 3rd round pick, or potentially a 2nd (if he keeps on rising).

Finishing with a top 5 pick is absolutely crucial, though. Not only is nice to get one of the very best in the entire draft, but the rest of the picks align very nicely.

Something like:

1. Jones
2. de-la-Rose
3. Bailey
---
Would do wonders for this franchise's future. All of have great size, skill, and high-end potential. I can't see any reason why any of them cannot become good NHL players.

Trading MacArthur for a late 1st round pick would just be the cherry on top.

Closed Thread