HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIV

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Epimetheus

vCash: 500
Grenier 1A/+1 and 5 shots for Kalamazoo tonight.Mallet with only 2 shots.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:45 PM
thegutter

i hope mallet could put it together to carve out a pro career, he does have some of the tools, hes scoring about the same as burrows did in his echl career at the same age.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:56 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
Grenier 1A/+1 and 5 shots for Kalamazoo tonight.Mallet with only 2 shots.
Glad to hear Grenier keeps putting up some assists at that level.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:43 AM
orcatown

Watched LaBate on the replay of the game and have to say he is not as raw as he was last year. Still some hitches in his skating but when he gets room to wind up he is showing real good top end speed. Big wing span allows him to take the puck from one side to another to beat his check.

Thought he made a number of very good passes showing he has some vision. Still a little awkward in tight quarters and needs to be better at making the quick pivot.

Last year I thought he was playing a little out of control by having to try to stay up with the speed of the game. If he can take the next step a develop greater smoothness in his skating and puck control he becomes a good prospect. However, it is somewhat disturbing he hasn't produced more points this year but whole team has been challenged in that area.

Found it surprising after his real good WJC play that McCabe looked so ordinary in this game. When you recognize that LaBate probably out-played fellow sophomore McCabe gives you some perspective that LaBate is doing fairly well.

Old
01-19-2013, 10:03 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Watched LaBate on the replay of the game and have to say he is not as raw as he was last year. Still some hitches in his skating but when he gets room to wind up he is showing real good top end speed. Big wing span allows him to take the puck from one side to another to beat his check.

Thought he made a number of very good passes showing he has some vision. Still a little awkward in tight quarters and needs to be better at making the quick pivot.

Last year I thought he was playing a little out of control by having to try to stay up with the speed of the game. If he can take the next step a develop greater smoothness in his skating and puck control he becomes a good prospect. However, it is somewhat disturbing he hasn't produced more points this year but whole team has been challenged in that area.

Found it surprising after his real good WJC play that McCabe looked so ordinary in this game. When you recognize that LaBate probably out-played fellow sophomore McCabe gives you some perspective that LaBate is doing fairly well.
The production for LaBate seems to be very team related with two goalies with < 2 GAA and they are barely above .500, there is a problem. They clearly did not have the depth for Kerdiles and Zengerle to be out for a few weeks. One has to be pretty happy that LaBate has at least put up PPG in the last month. After all of that, I have to agree he was significantly improved since last year and if he can make another step in his Junior year....watch out.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Elbows of Bure

Jensen's team lost today to MODO, Jensen didn't get any points, but he had two shots, and was a +1 (2-1 loss in overtime).

Old
01-19-2013, 11:27 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbows of Bure View Post
Jensen's team lost today to MODO, Jensen didn't get any points, but he had two shots, and was a +1 (2-1 loss in overtime).
Well at least Jensen could be playing for the Wolves very early in March.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Tiranis

Blomstrand had a goal today. Hopefully he can also come over next season or perhaps even after this season ends since his team also sucks.

Old
01-19-2013, 11:46 AM
thefeebster

The whole team struggled for pretty much the first two months to the extent where there were fans calling to fire Coach Eaves. Now they have won 7 straight, and have not lost since November. It's crazy.

I believe Wisconsin also has the 2nd lowest GF per game in the WCHA. Kerdiles was suspended for what seemed like forever, getting him into the lineup i think really gave that team energy, along with good play and offensive support from struggling players like LaBate. I am happy with his production and what i've seen in the past month, been consistently on the score sheet and is now 4th in scoring, 3rd in +/-. But i think Orca is right, he is playing a controlled game, more of rhythm to it now and perhaps more direction. Also, think confidence plays a role in his surge.

A recap on last night and some quotes:
Quote:
Wisconsin's only goal came off the stick of Joseph LaBate on a fantastic coast-to-coast line rush. LaBate picked the puck up on his own goal-line, carried the puck end-to-end before firing a shot that seemed to handcuff Miami goaltender Jay Williams.

It may not have been LaBate's prettiest shot, but it found it's way to the back of the net. The sophomore winger had a tough start to the season, and was even benched for a game at one point. Over the past month however, LaBate has found another gear for the Badgers.

"Joseph (LaBate) has started to develop into more of an impact player," Eaves said after the game. "He's assertive in his play, he's stronger on his skates and his stick and he's shooting the puck more."

The chemistry on LaBate's line that features Derek Lee centering LaBate and Michael Mersch has been noticeable over the past two months. Lee noted after the game that they're playing some of their best hockey of the season.

"I think we're all on the same page, moving the puck and moving our feet," Lee said. "When Joseph moves his feet he's tough to guard and Mersch has the big body and protects it so well. I think we all help each other out in different ways and I think that's the mix that makes it successful."
http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2013...ks-off-8-miami

------------

On Price, he picked up an assist last night on the sole goal for Colgate. The game can be watched here http://rpitv.org/productions/529-hockey-vs-colgate He has 3-4-7 in his last 10 games and has been a +8 over that stretch (+11 on the year, team leading)

Last edited by thefeebster: 01-19-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old
01-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Taco Fingerhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Blomstrand had a goal today. Hopefully he can also come over next season or perhaps even after this season ends since his team also sucks.
Do we have any scouting reports that shed some light on the type of player he is? All I usually here about Blomstrand's is just points related.

Old
01-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
Do we have any scouting reports that shed some light on the type of player he is? All I usually here about Blomstrand's is just points related.
thefeebster watched a few games so best to ask him or you could look through his post history for his report, it's somewhere in there.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:11 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
The whole team struggled for pretty much the first two months to the extent where there were fans calling to fire Coach Eaves. Now they have won 7 straight, and have not lost since November. It's crazy.

I believe Wisconsin also has the 2nd lowest GF per game in the WCHA. Kerdiles was suspended for what seemed like forever, getting him into the lineup i think really gave that team energy, along with good play and offensive support from struggling players like LaBate. I am happy with his production and what i've seen in the past month, been consistently on the score sheet and is now 4th in scoring, 3rd in +/-. But i think Orca is right, he is playing a controlled game, more of rhythm to it now and perhaps more direction. Also, think confidence plays a role in his surge.

A recap on last night and some quotes:

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2013...ks-off-8-miami

------------

On Price, he picked up an assist last night on the sole goal for Colgate. The game can be watched here http://rpitv.org/productions/529-hockey-vs-colgate He has 3-4-7 in his last 10 games and has been a +8 over that stretch (+11 on the year, team leading)
Even bigger prospect news: Yale actually played Beattie last night and he got 2 shots!

Old
01-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Elbows of Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Both Blomstrand and Jensen's Goal-Assist ratios are laughable. Cy Young candidates of the year!

Old
01-19-2013, 01:44 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
RE: Ludwig Blomstrand

I have seen all his games with Djurgarden this season (warming the bench for most of them) and just a couple with Almtuna.

With Djurgarden, in the games where he played more than 5 minutes, I thought he was noticable for good and bad reasons. The good was that it was immediately visible his size on the ice compared to the other Djurgarden youngins like Aberg, Sorensen, and Wennberg. Blomstrand looks big on the ice. He skates fairly well for a big man, decent acceleration. With Djurgarden he was used on the 4th line mainly, and was put in more of a energy player kind of role. I thought he did decent there, he was above average defensively, didn't make many mistakes and created offense/sustained pressure in the off zone during his sparse time on the ice, which is generally what you'd want for a 4th line player. One other positive thing is his willingness to drive the net with the puck. Also, i'd categorize him as a shoot first kind of a player. Don't remember any pass that stands out in my mind. The bad was he took some bad penalties, and put his team shorthanded 3 times in one game. Needs to make better decisions sometimes.

With Almtuna, he is put in a different role, put on the 1st line and 1st PP. He was used in front of the net on the PP. Didn't love him there, but if I guess he is the biggest guy to screen the goalie and he doesn't shy away from the battle. In one of the games, he came out with 2 hits in the 1st 5 minutes, but did not really throw any more hits after that. I found he was less aggressive than he was with Djurgarden, needs to be move his feet more in the defensive zone. That said, he didn't look out of place on the top line either. His size/speed helps him get open and transitions well on the rush and his willingness to shoot gives them two goal scoring threats on that line.

I think we agreed, I don't see a puck hound like Hansen, does not play a consistent physical game. That's why I'd like for him to come over next season to the AHL. I think his game might be better suited on smaller ice, he would be able to get around quickly, would be able to play a more aggressive game that the AHL forces you to learn. He is physically ready for the AHL, much more so than the typical swedes.

Last edited by thefeebster: 01-29-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Adding in Blomstrands name for easy searches!
Old
01-19-2013, 01:47 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I have seen all his games with Djurgarden this season (warming the bench for most of them) and just a couple with Almtuna.

With Djurgarden, in the games where he played more than 5 minutes, I thought he was noticable for good and bad reasons. The good was that it was immediately visible his size on the ice compared to the other Djurgarden youngins like Aberg, Sorensen, and Wennberg. Blomstrand looks big on the ice. He skates fairly well for a big man, decent acceleration. With Djurgarden he was used on the 4th line mainly, and was put in more of a energy player kind of role. I thought he did decent there, he was above average defensively, didn't make many mistakes and created offense/sustained pressure in the off zone during his sparse time on the ice, which is generally what you'd want for a 4th line player. One other positive thing is his willingness to drive the net with the puck. Also, i'd categorize him as a shoot first kind of a player. Don't remember any pass that stands out in my mind. The bad was he took some bad penalties, and put his team shorthanded 3 times in one game. Needs to make better decisions sometimes.

With Almtuna, he is put in a different role, put on the 1st line and 1st PP. He was used in front of the net on the PP. Didn't love him there, but if I guess he is the biggest guy to screen the goalie and he doesn't shy away from the battle. In one of the games, he came out with 2 hits in the 1st 5 minutes, but did not really throw any more hits after that. I found he was less aggressive than he was with Djurgarden, needs to be move his feet more in the defensive zone. That said, he didn't look out of place on the top line either. His size/speed helps him get open and transitions well on the rush and his willingness to shoot gives them two goal scoring threats on that line.

I think we agreed, I don't see a puck hound like Hansen, does not play a consistent physical game. That's why I'd like for him to come over next season to the AHL. I think his game might be better suited on smaller ice, he would be able to get around quickly, would be able to play a more aggressive game that the AHL forces you to learn. He is physically ready for the AHL, much more so than the typical swedes.
Thanks! Sounds like he probably has 3rd line upside but is more of a long-term project. Still, encouraging development so far.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:48 PM
gecko002

Has there been any word either way if henrik tommernes will come over next year?

Old
01-19-2013, 02:29 PM
Taco Fingerhat

Quote:
Thanks Feebster! It definitely sounds like he could benefit from the NA sized ice. I'd go with Tiranis on this and guess he has third line upside then.

Last edited by Taco Fingerhat: 01-19-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old
01-19-2013, 02:46 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Even bigger prospect news: Yale actually played Beattie last night and he got 2 shots!
Great news! It's almost been 2 months. I wonder if it was an injury. If it was a benching for poor play, I dont think it would extend this long and I don't think he played poorly either when I watched his last 3 games.

Quote:
Thanks Feebster! It definitely sounds like he could benefit from the NA sized ice. Does he project as more of a third liner then?
Yes, 3rd liner potential.

I think we should have some spots open on the Wolves next season on the wing.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:56 PM
timw33

McEneny gets an assist.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:26 PM
BerSTUzzi

Honzik 32 saves on 33 shots in SO loss today. Cape Breton sucks but he's slowly turning his season around.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:01 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Great news! It's almost been 2 months. I wonder if it was an injury. If it was a benching for poor play, I dont think it would extend this long and I don't think he played poorly either when I watched his last 3 games.

Yes, 3rd liner potential.

I think we should have some spots open on the Wolves next season on the wing.
I see Myron didn't dress for BU tonight, you heard anything about that Feebster?

Old
01-20-2013, 12:38 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I see Myron didn't dress for BU tonight, you heard anything about that Feebster?
Plain old benching:

Quote:
Myron sitting doesn't surprise me. Parker said Thursday Myron's linemates -- Matt Lane and Sam Kurker -- came back with the break with much more confidence and had been playing better. Myron not so much. Parker was high on Myron most of the first semester but apparently thought it was better to let him watch from the stands tonight.
Probably sending a message, sadly.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:13 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Plain old benching:

Probably sending a message, sadly.
Ah ouch. Such is freshman life I guess. Thanks for the infos.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:53 PM
BerSTUzzi

Corrado with primary assist on the OT winner over his former Sudbury Wolves.

Old
01-20-2013, 06:19 PM
Samzilla

Not sure what the rules are regarding the following: what happens to Jensen when the SEL season ends in March (doesn't look like they're going to make the playoffs)? Does he automatically become a part of the Wolves?

Closed Thread