Te'o GF death a hoax

Old
01-19-2013, 01:07 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradD View Post
I was in between and now i'm leaning more in Te'os favor.

I don't just automatically jump to one side and spew my opinion because I like/dislike Notre Dame.

That is biasm. I am not bias. Nice try though.
Just because you think you don't have a bias doesn't mean you don't have one. Everyone has a bias.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:37 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Jeremy is the freaking man. He's doing his best in this confusing situation.

The evidence here is that Tososopo could face some serious charges if this is true. And he did indeed apologize as Manti stated, it would fit in with everything of the reported Twitter communications.
Charges for what exactly?

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:46 AM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
I think he exaggerated his relationship with "her" to the media, but I have a hard time believing he was in on the hoax and would come up with the idea that "she died" on the same day his grandmother passed. That seems far fetched he'd do that when he's dealing with the loss of his grandmother.
I don't normally like speculating, but my feeling on this is that he really did get catfished and really did think this online girlfriend died, but after eventually realizing it was a hoax, he decided to play along with it and act like it was real since it got so much positive attention.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:47 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
You seem to have alot of bias here against Notre Dame so you probably should make that clear.

There is enough merit to what he said, you don't need to spew your opinions and accuse just because you don't like the school and the person plays for them.
The facts of the story are biased against Te'o and Notre Dame.

Notre Dame is trying to portray him entirely as a victim which doesn't correspond with known facts. Your opinion that what he says has any "merit" despite the fact that Te'o is a proven liar and your continuing attempts to justify his lying is what would be defined as bias.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:05 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
As for why Te'o never visited his dying girlfriend in the hospital, he told Schaap, "It never really crossed my mind."
http://deadspin.com/5977282/in-espn-...ntil-wednesday

What?

This is also hard to believe.....

Quote:
Amazingly, Te'o claimed he wasn't "fully convinced" that Lennay Kekua did not exist until Wednesday, after we published our report on the hoax. This goes against a good deal of what Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said in a press conference Wednesday night. (Te'o's agents at CAA, not Notre Dame, negotiated the interview with Schaap.) Swarbrick said he shared the findings from the university's investigation of the hoax with Te'o's parents more than two weeks ago, on Jan. 5. Had they really not told their son the news? And had Notre Dame told Te'o nothing? It was, after all, per Notre Dame's official account, a Dec. 26 tip from Te'o himself that prompted the school to investigate Kekua.
Quote:
Te'o also told Schaap that Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man we identified as being behind Lennay Kekua, apologized to him Wednesday via Twitter direct message. Te'o also said two others, a man and a woman, were Ronaiah's accomplices, but he didn't name them. Schaap said he saw the messages, but we're still not sure how such an apology would have worked. Tuiasosopo deleted his Twitter account weeks ago, and direct messages on Twitter require the recipient to follow the sender. We checked the list of Twitter users Te'o follows on Tuesday and didn't see any sign of Ronaiah. It's possible Ronaiah used a new account to send an @-reply Te'o's way to apologize, but tweets including Te'o's Twitter name were coming at such a rapid pace Wednesday it's inconceivable that Te'o could have picked out a single apology from all the other tweets.
Did CAA ask Schaap to do the interview or was it ESPN's decision? It's a difficult situation to be in and he's also just as confused as the rest of us but he did a terrible job.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:00 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

"It never crossed my mind." See, I can't shake this impression that Te'o never really cared all that much about this "girl" which means to me that he either was in on it or it just wasn't a big deal to him. And really, why should it? He's surrounded by many coeds who'd happily fulfill any desire he could have.

I think a lot of people struggle with the explanation of Te'o being hoaxed and then merely lying to cover up his embarrassment because he would have to be an emotionally stunted and stupid person at the same time to a degree regular people find hard to fathom.

And his public persona just seems too slick for that. In the interviews I've seen he's hitting the exact right buttons in a way that many of the former players on ESPN would struggle to execute. He's either a Forrest Gump type character or there's something sinister behind that facade.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:30 AM
End of Line
Human After All

What a crock of **** from that excerpt. This dude must be dumber than a box of rocks. Still think he's in on it.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:39 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
What a crock of **** from that excerpt. This dude must be dumber than a box of rocks. Still think he's in on it.
I definitly thing he's in on something. Initially he may not have been, but this relationship went on for years without him seeing this person, also going back it's obvious he was telling some conflicting stores and lying about actually meeting her. Something is up, just not sure whether his involvement was 100%.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:49 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
I hope Manti knows that the majority of the people who follow this saga arent believing this story. Thee are too many holes and and he has told too many lies to for anyone for anyone with a brain to do so.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:44 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

It's easy to say the two deaths on the same day are far fetched NOW. Yet until this past Wednesday that's the exact story everyone believed.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Between this, Joe Paterno, Lance Armstrong, Tiger Woods, and a bunch of other examples, are the media and we (meaning fans/society/etc) going to finally reach a point where we say "let's stop lionizing athletes and sports figures for their character as people, since we don't really know them, and just evaluate them based on their performances"?

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:57 AM
Jeff Skinner
Had a good two weeks

It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to have the kind of relationship with a person where you SLEEP ON THE LINE WITH THEM while they are in a coma or sleeping because you want to hear their breath and have the idea of actually visiting that person never cross your mind.

At least Manti/his lawyer/his agent was smart enough to do his interview with ESPN

He knows they won't question his ********

Jeff Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Jeff Skinner
Had a good two weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Between this, Joe Paterno, Lance Armstrong, Tiger Woods, and a bunch of other examples, are the media and we (meaning fans/society/etc) going to finally reach a point where we say "let's stop lionizing athletes and sports figures for their character as people, since we don't really know them, and just evaluate them based on their performances"?
No. Can you imagine Olympic coverage without all the INSPIRATIONAL stories?

They'd have to show, like, live events.

Nobody wants that

Old
01-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
once upon a time something like this would have been reserved for the tabloids. I have never once cared about somebody's personal life if it does not effect me. Too bad most of everybody else does not feel the same.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:05 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
once upon a time something like this would have been reserved for the tabloids. I have never once cared about somebody's personal life if it does not effect me. Too bad most of everybody else does not feel the same.
Unfortunately that is not the way the world works anymore. You have to actually search for the real news.

Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Extra Texture
Slurpy in the house

Quote:
Hopefully that day is coming, but of course that requires a better educated public less prone to sensationalism, or the kind of media coverage of sports that is less awash in these dramatic, sensationalist story lines. Since this story came out from a "fringe" media outlet like deadspin, making the very media responsible for that kind of sensationalism look incredibly stupid, maybe there will be a change....but I doubt it.

The thing that bothers/surprises me most about this train wreck isnt so much that someone participate in this lie and think they could fool the public when it broke. Its more about a whole academic institution scrambling to protect their program's image by concocting these absurd stories. And trotting someone out on camera to cry about this garbage "tragedy" when a girl who killed herself was swept under the rug.

I guess that speaks to ending hero worship of a different kind.

Extra Texture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:30 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
The facts of the story are biased against Te'o and Notre Dame.

Notre Dame is trying to portray him entirely as a victim which doesn't correspond with known facts. Your opinion that what he says has any "merit" despite the fact that Te'o is a proven liar and your continuing attempts to justify his lying is what would be defined as bias.
Really dude? Every time you mention Notre Dame it's about how "despicable" they are. Yes, i'm an ND fan. That doesn't mean I agree with how things were handled at the SCHOOL. I am a fan of the ATHLETICS but i'm not biased regarding Te'o.

If you read everything I actually posted and the facts in the story, it's hard NOT to believe Te'o. Even Jeremy from ESPN said the exact same thing. This is a guy who has won several EMMYS and covered numerous people including Rob Gronkowski. He's not afraid to ask the tough questions.

The only thing you could possibly conceive is that "why didn't he visit her" or "why didn't he go to the funeral" or "why didn't he go to her grave after". One out of those three have been answered, he was told not to. I am willing to bet if it's indeed true what he is saying he was waiting until after the football season to go to her gravesite.

The "why didn't he visit her" is the only legitimate question and that is the only current evidence AGAINST Te'o.

I'm not biased at all. I think Ray Lewis was guilty in the murder charges based on EVIDENCE. I tend to believe that Manti Te'o, while not even CLOSE to as severe as Lewis' case, has alot of merit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Charges for what exactly?
It's called lawsuits.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:34 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

If any of you knew me I am not even a huge fan of Manti Te'o. Sure he was my favorite player on the Irish, but not even my close to all-time.

I would choose guys like Brady Quinn, Golden Tate, Jeff Samardjzia, etc. before I chose Te'o.

I'm not biased in the matter of being an ND fan, I am convinced he is telling part of the truth here.

Why would he make up a random address in California?

Why would he say he didn't know until several days ago, if it was all a lie? Wouldn't he just have gone with the easier "I found out December" and then said he was just not releasing the info until after the Championship??? It has to be true. It's too confusing for a lawyer and Te'o to make up if they had an easier option and this was all a scam.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:36 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

And anyone who thinks Jeremy Schaap isn't going to win an Emmy for his coverage of this is insane. He is a six-time Emmy award winner.

He's got credibility and virtually sees little holes in the argument against Te'o. He knows alot better than some guys on an online board or a comment section.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/Kokomoschmoe/stat...86672808800256
Quote:
Brad Stevens grabs microphone and asks Butler students to remove all Te'o girlfriend signs/banners. #HoosiersTearJerker

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/SeinfeldToday/sta...21738930868224
Quote:
Newman tries to "catfish" Jerry only to find him "uncatfishable." JERRY: "I don't trust anyone. Can't trust anyone. It's a gift."

Old
01-19-2013, 02:10 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Yes, i'm an ND fan. I'm not biased at all. .
The two bits of relevant info in that post

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Jeff Skinner
Had a good two weeks

Quote:
And anyone who thinks Jeremy Schaap isn't going to win an Emmy for his coverage of this is insane. He is a six-time Emmy award winner.

He's got credibility and virtually sees little holes in the argument against Te'o. He knows alot better than some guys on an online board or a comment section.
What?

What?

What what what what? He's done dick-all in this story

and this

Quote:
This is a guy who has won several EMMYS and covered numerous people including Rob Gronkowski. He's not afraid to ask the tough questions.
He's covered.. Rob Gronkowski? What? The guy whose biggest scandal has been taking his shirt off?

What on earth are you talking about

Old
01-19-2013, 02:38 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Texture View Post
Hopefully that day is coming, but of course that requires a better educated public less prone to sensationalism, or the kind of media coverage of sports that is less awash in these dramatic, sensationalist story lines. Since this story came out from a "fringe" media outlet like deadspin, making the very media responsible for that kind of sensationalism look incredibly stupid, maybe there will be a change....but I doubt it.

The thing that bothers/surprises me most about this train wreck isnt so much that someone participate in this lie and think they could fool the public when it broke. Its more about a whole academic institution scrambling to protect their program's image by concocting these absurd stories. And trotting someone out on camera to cry about this garbage "tragedy" when a girl who killed herself was swept under the rug.

I guess that speaks to ending hero worship of a different kind.
People want to believe that star athletes are also good people. We want to believe good things happen to good people. The media is more than happy to oblige, regardless of the truth.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Stupid audio

Come on video like a man