HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013 Draft Selection: Ideal Candidates

View Poll Results: Who would you pick?
Josh Morrissey 12 8.28%
Frederik Gauthier 36 24.83%
Alexander Wennberg 1 0.69%
Anthony Mantha 14 9.66%
Adam Erne 4 2.76%
Curtis Lazar 50 34.48%
Kerby Rychel 3 2.07%
Max Domi 7 4.83%
Robert Hagg 3 2.07%
Jason Dickinson 0 0%
Other 15 10.34%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
No, the worst case scenario is he doesn't bring enough offence to make the NHL period.

I think this draft is too deep to take a guy with a number of intangibles you like in the mid first if he doesn't have enough tangibles (not necessarily Lazar, just speaking generally. Besides, who knows, still half a season to play for Lazar).

There are just too many players available that have both.
imo, 40 pts would be his offence not translating. With every centre position up for debate after RNH, I would take this guy mid-1st - if his offence comes on, great - 2nd line, if it doesn't 3rd line - Gagner or Horcoff replacement - to suggest his point totals may put him on the 4th line or worse? I can't see it.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
We can only wish.

I thought all 14 teams not making the playoffs had a shot at 1st overall, it's a lot tougher for a team finishing last to get the 1st overall pick now.
Well they are guaranteed a top 2 pick which is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAK141 View Post
ya that's right any chance Bibos goes in the 4th
Do you mean Bobos? The kid is ranked 100th best euro player by scouts which puts him in the 'lucky to get drafted' category.. Should be available in 4th round.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Fourier

Quote:
No, the worst case scenario is he doesn't bring enough offence to make the NHL period.

I think this draft is too deep to take a guy with a number of intangibles you like in the mid first if he doesn't have enough tangibles (not necessarily Lazar, just speaking generally. Besides, who knows, still half a season to play for Lazar).

There are just too many players available that have both.
He does have 19 goals in 46 games. And he did have pretty much a ppg in the playoffs last year.

A guy I would bring up is Faksa. He went 13 overall last year with 29 goals and 67 points but this year he has 7 goals and 22 points in 31 games. I don't think anyone would tell you that Faksa has regressed. It is more the case that circumstances in Kitchener have changed.

Lazar's role on the Oil Kings is not so conducive to him generating a lot of points.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:43 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
The Oilers will make the playoffs so they'll be drafting in the bottom half of the 1st. (Not that I'm optimistic or anything. ) Unless they trade up but that's always easier in theory than in practice. Especially in a solid draft like this one you'd have to think a very good piece would have to be traded to move up into the top 5/10 picks.

Gauthier stands out as a good choice but I don't know if he's still around when the Oilers pick.

Rychel would be a solid pick as well.

I agree with others... hard to say what the Oilers will pick because it all depends on how they perform this year and which players outperform or are underwhelming. Depending on what other moves management makes, I think the holes in the roster may not be the same as exist now.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
The Oilers will make the playoffs so they'll be drafting in the bottom half of the 1st. (Not that I'm optimistic or anything. ) Unless they trade up but that's always easier in theory than in practice. Especially in a solid draft like this one you'd have to think a very good piece would have to be traded to move up into the top 5/10 picks.

Gauthier stands out as a good choice but I don't know if he's still around when the Oilers pick.

Rychel would be a solid pick as well.

I agree with others... hard to say what the Oilers will pick because it all depends on how they perform this year and which players outperform or are underwhelming. Depending on what other moves management makes, I think the holes in the roster may not be the same as exist now.
Actually this may be exactly the type of draft to move up. It is when the drop off is steep that the price goes up. In the 10-20 range this year there are lots of players that could have an impact. Drafting 16th instead of 10th may still get you the guy you want.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:05 PM
40oz

But with all things considered this is looking like a very deep draft. And with the Oilers prospect depth not looking too strong up front and in goal, I don't see the Oilers wanting to move up unless someone really catches their eyes.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:08 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Actually this may be exactly the type of draft to move up. It is when the drop off is steep that the price goes up. In the 10-20 range this year there are lots of players that could have an impact. Drafting 16th instead of 10th may still get you the guy you want.
This is a year that noone is moving top 15 picks though I don't think. It'll be tough for anyone to move up in this draft without overpaying.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:08 PM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post

Do you mean Bobos? The kid is ranked 100th best euro player by scouts which puts him in the 'lucky to get drafted' category.. Should be available in 4th round.
Bobos could very well be on the board when we pick in the 5th or 6th round.

I'd be surprised if Stu did not make it a trio of Martins, the other 2 have worked out pretty good.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:03 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
I really hate to project out so far in the draft and would not use anything better than a third rounder for him but a kid I know who played with my son for years is eligible and projected to go around 75th.

http://http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145478

Big center who used to scored a lot. He will be playing at Yale next season. 6' 4" 225lbs. USNDT

I will keep an eye on this kid, does anyone have a scouting report on him, very nice size.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
Stuaffer has sold me on Lazar. I also would not mind looking at Nurse if he is available. A goalie in the second would be nice as well with Jarry or Comrie.
I would have liked Comrie.. but his recent season ending hip injury throws up the darkest of red flags. Mike retried because of chronic hip injuries. The obvious fear is that it runs in the (half-)family.

To re-iterate what others have said, Nurse is awesome and I'd like Lazar if we're drafting low.

Another one I'm keeping an eye on is Rasmus Ristolainen.

The prize IMO for the Oilers is Sean Monahan. Would absolutely love to have him (or any of the 4 top centers).

Old
01-19-2013, 06:02 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
He does have 19 goals in 46 games. And he did have pretty much a ppg in the playoffs last year.

A guy I would bring up is Faksa. He went 13 overall last year with 29 goals and 67 points but this year he has 7 goals and 22 points in 31 games. I don't think anyone would tell you that Faksa has regressed. It is more the case that circumstances in Kitchener have changed.

Lazar's role on the Oil Kings is not so conducive to him generating a lot of points.
Thanks for that take.

I do think Lazar is a good prospect, and depending on where EDM finishes he may well be a guy I'd look at.

Where do you figure he ranks among WHL eligible players? 4th, behind Jones, Shinkaruk, and Pulock? Higher? Lower?

Old
01-19-2013, 06:09 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Thanks for that take.

I do think Lazar is a good prospect, and depending on where EDM finishes he may well be a guy I'd look at.

Where do you figure he ranks among WHL eligible players? 4th, behind Jones, Shinkaruk, and Pulock? Higher? Lower?
ISS has him only behind Jones.

CSS has him behind Jones, Shinkaruk, Pulock, Morrisey, Mueller, Theodore, Bowey and Klimchuk.

I would definitely learn towards ISS's opinion.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Thanks for that take.

I'll defer to the guys that watch more of the WHL than I do.

But the only guy in that group I take ahead of him is Jones.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:01 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Thanks for that take.

Tough to rank the rest of them since they are all different players.

I think Pulock and Lazar would fit the Oilers the best of the 3, but that may not coincide with who is the best player.

I am a pretty big fan of Shinkaruk, have seen him a lot and he's the definition of a pure scorer, and not all that different than a Jordan Eberle type player in junior. Both can score and play a very smart game, while not being all that big.

I just don't see any room for him on the Oilers. Hall, Yak, and Eberle take 3/4 top 6 wing spots, and I don't think the 4th winger can be someone under 6'0 tall.

Lazar is a great fit down the middle for the Oilers. He brings a lot of the intangibles we want in a 2C, i.e. good 2 way game, play physical, etc., and can chip in offensively and has a very heavy shot.

Obviously there were concerns with his lack of production for the first half, but he is starting to score more of late and has a while before the draft to step his offensive game up.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:36 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Some sites have him listed as a center but I'm pretty sure he's mainly a winger. Anyone watch him a ton?
Asked Craig Button about this, said he's seen him play 12 times(this is as of Dec 6) and he's played either RW or LW every game.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:48 PM
BarDownBobo

To answer the original question, I believe that Edm will pick in the 8-12 range this year, so with that pick I'd be hoping for one of Barkov(if he drops, unlikely), Lindholm, Monahan, Nichushkin, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pulock or Hagg. Then, somehow I think that a move will be made to get into the early to mid 20 range, either something like moving Whitney at the trade deadline or just moving up with one of our seconds to grab Lazar, then pick Jarry with our other second. That'd be my ideal draft.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:01 AM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
As others have said, Lazar and Zadorov are ideal. A center is needed more than the defenseman though. Of course always take the BPA but you have to take it into consideration.

Old
01-20-2013, 02:46 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

I get this feeling Zadorov and Nurse are going in the top 10, thus Monahan will fall. Just a hunch.

Old
01-20-2013, 03:48 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
I get this feeling Zadorov and Nurse are going in the top 10, thus Monahan will fall. Just a hunch.
I personally can't see Monahan falling very far... big, high scoring centre who's highly touted I think will stay high inside the top 10.

I suppose you could get another Couturier/Grigorenko situation but I don't see that with Monahan.

I could see Shinkaruk falling though... he's probably borderline consensus top 10 right now and I could see him falling back a few spots by the end of the year.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:49 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

i feel the Oilers will likely draft from mid-first and lower, so the players who come to mind who would be ideal for us would be centers and d-men and a goalie. i'd take big Freddie Gauthier over Lazar if both were still there when we pick. from what i read, he's very good defensively, can skate well, and has a good scoring touch, and is listed at 6'5" and 210...could be the ideal #2 or #3 center down the road. would still take Lazar though, but only if Gauthier is gone. Zadorov would be a good pluck for us as well. he skates well for a big d-man, and is apparently defensively sound, but needs to work a little on his offense. in the 2nd round, i'd try to take another center and one of the goalies like Jarry or Martin. i suspect in the 4th and beyond, the Oil may continue to try to find big and tough role players along the lines of Zharkov and Kahaira. my 2 cents.

Old
01-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Oilers4life1987

Here's my list of C's id like them to pick:

1) Monahan - if possible and Oilers drafting top 10
2) Lazar/Gauthier
3) Kujwanski
4) Horvat

Old
01-20-2013, 05:13 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
As others have said, Lazar and Zadorov are ideal. A center is needed more than the defenseman though. Of course always take the BPA but you have to take it into consideration.
If we could come out of the draft with these two I would be so hyped but I can't see it happen. Zadorov will be taken in the top 10 and I don't see EDM picking during that time. I guess we will know more in two weeks where we will be approx.

Old
01-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Oilers4life1987

Ryan Kujawinski

Does anyone think hed be a solid pick for the Oilers if they cant land any other C such as Monahan, Lazar, Lindholm, Barkov.

I read that he could've been a 1st rounder but in recent rankings he's late 1st/early 2nd.

Old
01-27-2013, 02:28 PM
ohheyhemsky

Yes.

....No....

Maybe?

Old
01-27-2013, 02:36 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

I had high hopes for Kujawinski that he could rocket up the rankings, but it looks like he's going to be a mid 2nd rounder rather then a mid-late first.

Closed Thread