HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals @ Lightning. 1.19.13. 7PM

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 01:30 PM
alexthekidd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
mcphee said regarding poti that there were no salary cap issues. the caps have plenty of room there.

as to ward. i think there is more to that than meets the eye. ward scored 18 even strenth points for the caps for the caps in 11;39 of average even strenth time. his overall average was just a 12 and a half per game and he was +12. previous season in nashville he had 23 esp in 13:41 of average even strenth time per game. thats about the same production per minute. nashville used him on the pp and he played over 17 minutes on average. his role was completely different.

the caps got him for the playoffs. he was tied with ovechkin for 4th on the team in even strenth points in the playoffs was tied for 5th oveall. he played 10:25 per playoff game. he scored the biggest caps goal of the playoffs.
Yeah I'm aware that he'll fit in fine this year, I'm thinking more over the next few years it has the potential to at the very least decrease flexibility under the cap.

Agree re: Ward. Undervalued and I'd like to see what he could do given more opportunity on this team. He's great along the boards and Chimera/Laich and him could get some great cycling going like they did at the start of last season.

What I'd really like to see is Oates give this lineup a good few games to gel before tinkering. See if we can get some chemistry going on the team. I've always felt that Bruce and Dale were all too happy to change the lineup prematurely.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:32 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Poti's a UFA after this season. He's a non-factor capwise unless you think the team will really want him back (and if they did, he'd be cheaper than any other UFA they would sign for that role I'm sure).

Old
01-19-2013, 01:33 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Bad early GDT juju notwithstanding, 4-2 Caps.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Feel bad for Fehr not getting a jersey tonight but glad to see poti get to skate.

I guess Oates is more of the 3 line coach which i have no problem with playing our best players more

I will try to keep an eye on Calle Jo and how he handles the D pairings and min with 7 - Same thing with the 4th line and who plays RW on it and how much

Old
01-19-2013, 01:39 PM
alexthekidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Poti's a UFA after this season. He's a non-factor capwise unless you think the team will really want him back (and if they did, he'd be cheaper than any other UFA they would sign for that role I'm sure).
Forgot that Poti's a UFA after this season. I had in my head that he was signed for another year or two.

Need to do a bit of revision on the Caps now that the season's underway.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Bananas

This year really could go either way.

But the Caps are gonna stomp TB game one.

I guarantee it.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:43 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Please don't suck...have that mojo back.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:46 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

All hypothetical at this point. But Poti turns 36 in March. If his play earns it, would not mind seeing Caps resigning him for another year to mentor the likes of Orlov and/or Schilling as bottom pairing defenseman. Give Poti a 1 year at 1.5 (what Erskine is currently earning), the Caps would still have about 6.3 mil coming off of the books for defenseman after this season with Hamrlik and Erskine going and Poti's salary being reduced to what Erskine currently makes.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:48 PM
tmljeh19

The real question is who goes once Laich is back. Correct me if I'm wrong but they will need to make a roster move to fit Laich in correct?

Old
01-19-2013, 01:50 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Ward sand bagged it much of the year. When the playoffs started, he clearly gave more effort. Many players up their game. But some players like Ovi give their all almost all year.

If we had missed the playoffs last year, was Ward a smart pickup? He should have dominated in Dale's system. Yet was a borderline scratch many nights.

Categorize it. Lazy regular season play, saving it up for the playoffs, or steps up their game in the playoffs. Or like Ovi, brings it 24/7.

Carlson is one I would like to see bring a more consistent game as well. Alzner deserves to see how Carlson is going to play before the playoffs start.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:52 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
The real question is who goes once Laich is back. Correct me if I'm wrong but they will need to make a roster move to fit Laich in correct?
Yes, but that bridge can be crossed later. There are multiple players that need to be evaluated (Poti, Hillen, Erskine, Schultz, Fehr, Crabb, Wolski) so I don't expect them to make that decision until Laich is ready to play. Whoever plays the worst, probably.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:55 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Yes, but that bridge can be crossed later. There are multiple players that need to be evaluated (Poti, Hillen, Erskine, Schultz, Fehr, Crabb, Wolski) so I don't expect them to make that decision until Laich is ready to play. Whoever plays the worst, probably.
I'm leaning towards it being a d-man. You currently have eight on roster with some depth at Hershey in the likes of Orlov (although injured), Schilling and Kundratek. Whereas you don't have such depth with the forwards.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:13 PM
txpd

8 d is never good. tolerable with poti being an unknown. caps will get to 7 before too long

Old
01-19-2013, 02:20 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Poti-Schultz on D and
Hendricks-Perreault-() 4th line.

Now I'm excited.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Capitlols

Need to get Schultz's trade value up.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:37 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

NHL Network Top 10 plays of 2011-12, no Ovechkin coast to coast goal against Ottawa. Of course.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:44 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Need to get Schultz's trade value up.
Ottawa light on D from all reports. Cowen out for the season and Lundin out with broken finger. Double Nickel would be a perfect replacement for Matt Carkner, another human pylon.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:47 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

NHL Network, Caps need a miracle to move Ovechkin, but wait for this, Rick Nash, top 5 player in the world.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Devil Dancer

Don't know if this is being discussed elsewhere, but did anyone catch the Post story on the PP under Oates? He says MaJo is going to be the guy in front of the net on PP1. That seems... odd to me. I'm far from a MaJo hater, but that doesn't seem like the best use of personnel to me.

Maybe that will be Laich's job when he gets back.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:58 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Don't know if this is being discussed elsewhere, but did anyone catch the Post story on the PP under Oates? He says MaJo is going to be the guy in front of the net on PP1. That seems... odd to me. I'm far from a MaJo hater, but that doesn't seem like the best use of personnel to me.

Its stupid to assume without ever watching him in that position to assume he is bad at it.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:03 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post

the way i read that is brouwer is the screener and johansson the puck chaser.
wolski is the low guy on the 2nd unit. that would back that up. the low guy chases the loose pucks. johansson's quickness and speed makes him perfect for that role and his hands are good enough to both pass and shoot to finish.

ward is the middle guy on the 2nd unit. again. he is the screener/deflector. wolski is the chaser.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:06 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the way i read that is brouwer is the screener and johansson the puck chaser.
wolski is the low guy on the 2nd unit. that would back that up. the low guy chases the loose pucks. johansson's quickness and speed makes him perfect for that role and his hands are good enough to both pass and shoot to finish.
My read on it as well.

(also, Vogel had originally posted the details as described by Oates, and then JP did a sort of follow on at link that is pretty cool to read through).

Old
01-19-2013, 03:16 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

If anyone wants to join a chat, an unaffiliated hf chat is on rizon #hockeysfuture

Old
01-19-2013, 03:50 PM
um

i think the caps are gonna struggle. we have a brand new system with no preseason games, this whole first week may be rough

Old
01-19-2013, 04:01 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I feel like if the Hershey Bears can run our system we can do it on a weeks practice. Its only hockey. Our defense has gotta be better without Wideman. Semin was a toxin to many. Dale was widely frowned upon. + by -

Oates a cerebral guy should know to not push too hard in a 1 week camp preseason.

Closed Thread