HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Keith Ballard

Old
01-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Keith Ballard

So the Canucks have 9 defensemen on the roster right now, and were forced to send Schroeder to the minors to fit under the 23-man roster.

Barker and Vandermeer were just signed, so that leaves Ballard(or maybe Alberts) as the odd man out.

I think any team with a need for defense and a good amount of cap space would be willing to take a chance that he's able to rebound, now that he's finally over his injury troubles, and if given an opportunity I think he would prove himself as a capable top-4 defenseman again.

So, either a pick(I think we could get a 2nd for him, given the amount of teams pressed for defense) or a similarly overpaid player in need for a change of scenery(maybe Bourque?) would probably be fair.

However, the Canucks don't have much leverage here, as if Ballard stays with us until the offseason, he will most likely be bought out to accomodate the cap.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:55 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
So the Canucks have 9 defensemen on the roster right now, and were forced to send Schroeder to the minors to fit under the 23-man roster.

Barker and Vandermeer were just signed, so that leaves Ballard(or maybe Alberts) as the odd man out.

I think any team with a need for defense and a good amount of cap space would be willing to take a chance that he's able to rebound, now that he's finally over his injury troubles, and if given an opportunity I think he would prove himself as a capable top-4 defenseman again.

So, either a pick(I think we could get a 2nd for him, given the amount of teams pressed for defense) or a similarly overpaid player in need for a change of scenery(maybe Bourque?) would probably be fair.

However, the Canucks don't have much leverage here, as if Ballard stays withcus until the offseason, he will most likely be bought out to accomodate the cap.
no, I do not see you get a second for him--there have been better players on the waiver wire.

and, oh yeah, his contract--but of s sticky wicket with that one old chum

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:57 PM
FAMOUSfin

vCash: 500
Vandermeer is listed as a forward on the line-up posted by the canucks twitter feed.

Ballard is quite valuable on a pairing with Tanev.

FAMOUSfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMOUSfin View Post
Vandermeer is listed as a forward on the line-up posted by the canucks twitter feed.

Ballard is quite valuable on a pairing with Tanev.
I didn't know that about Vandermeer. So maybe that makes more sense.

And I know Ballard-Tanev is a solid third pairing, but I don't see any way Ballard stays with us long-term.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:05 PM
FAMOUSfin

Vandermeer plays both LW and D.

Ballard is likely gone at the end of the season but is pretty valuable until then as we don't have anyone that can step up and support Tanev as well as Ballard can. Maybe Barker pulls a Higgins like AV is hoping or maybe a good replacement comes along in a Luongo trade. But until then, Ballard is staying put.

FAMOUSfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Stonz

Ballard is still our best option, by far, for the left side of that 3rd pairing. He and Tanev have good chemistry, his cap hit is manageable for this season, and his trade value is lower than it should be. Trading him now also opens another hole at a time when quality defensemen are hard to come by.

We're far better off keeping him for the season, hoping he plays well enough to increase his trade value, and moving him at the draft.

Last edited by Stonz: 01-19-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Stonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonz View Post
Ballard is still our best option, by far, for the left side of that 3rd pairing. He and Tanev have good chemistry, his cap hit is manageable for this season, and his trade value is lower than it should be. Trading him now also opens another hole a a time when quality defensemen are hard to come by.

We're far better off keeping him for the season, hoping he plays well enough to increase his trade value, and moving him at the draft.
Agreed, next season K-Conn should be with the big club and Tanev's defensive responsibility and K-Conn's offensive abiliies makes them perfect partners, like a poor mans Hamhuis-Bieska.

Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
no, I do not see you get a second for him--there have been better players on the waiver wire.
and, oh yeah, his contract--but of s sticky wicket with that one old chum
yeah? like who?

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:32 PM
StringerBell

Hopefully we can get a 2nd for him this summer. The UFA market looks pretty weak, and I'm sure someone will be looking for a top 4 guy.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:58 PM
rockinghockey

Problem with Ballard is he has a 4.2mil cap hit and for a third pairing he is over paid. Teams are not going to trade for players like Ballard waiting instead to see who gets bought out. I am sure VAN will be able to trade him but they won't get a 2nd for him. Fistric got a 3rd round pick and he has a low cap hit.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:01 PM
pahlsson

great idea, trade an nhl calibre dman so cam barker moves up the depth chart

pahlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:06 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMOUSfin View Post
Vandermeer plays both LW and D.

Ballard is likely gone at the end of the season but is pretty valuable until then as we don't have anyone that can step up and support Tanev as well as Ballard can. Maybe Barker pulls a Higgins like AV is hoping or maybe a good replacement comes along in a Luongo trade. But until then, Ballard is staying put.
Vandermeer plays LW if the team needs him to, but he is no more a LW than pretty much any other defenseman.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:08 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Hopefully we can get a 2nd for him this summer. The UFA market looks pretty weak, and I'm sure someone will be looking for a top 4 guy.
What does this have to do with Ballard?

I really don't know if i've ever seen a supposed top 4 dman ever **** his pants as bad as Ballard did in the playoffs.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:13 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post

I really don't know if i've ever seen a supposed top 4 dman ever **** his pants as bad as Ballard did in the playoffs.
which playoffs are you talking about? in 2011 when he first arrived and no doubt had problems adjusting to the system? or last year when he was arguably the Canucks most consistent dman during their first round loss to the Kings?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Spectrefire

He's not worth trading this season. His value is at a low and we're going to need his services for a shortened season. If he rebounds and puts a solid year, his stock will go up and Gillis should be able to get back some assets for him.

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:29 PM
m9

He will be traded in the off-season. If no trade is available he will be waived. If nobody picks him up, he will be amnesty bought out.

It's really that simple. Canucks have no reason to move him this year, while at the same time they have little reason to keep him past this year.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:30 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I didn't know that about Vandermeer. So maybe that makes more sense.

And I know Ballard-Tanev is a solid third pairing, but I don't see any way Ballard stays with us long-term.
Ballard will probably be bought out after the season, right now there is zero reason to get rid of him.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:30 PM
marty111

Not a significant market for him.

Gillis buys him out to show others he won't deal him for scraps.

Keeps the Luongo trade talks going for another year.

Sorry I had too!

marty111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Silfverberg Snipes

Quote:

I don't exactly like Ballard and his contract but you have no idea what you're talking about. Ballard was solid for us in the playoffs last year. The only thing holding us from keeping him is his contract.

Silfverberg Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:36 PM
StringerBell

Quote:

Ballard is a serviceable second pairing defenceman. He had one bad year recovering from hip surgury and his value on HF has been defined by it since. He'll never be a big point producer but he's a good skater, moves the puck out of his zone very well, blocks a ton of shots, finishes every check and will drop the gloves if so inclined. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:36 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
which playoffs are you talking about? in 2011 when he first arrived and no doubt had problems adjusting to the system? or last year when he was arguably the Canucks most consistent dman during their first round loss to the Kings?
the more or less reflects how badly the rest of the team played

his minutes per game during the 4 games he played

bieska

edler

Hamuis

salo

most constant player but did not get moved up into the top 4?
When the coach shortened his bench, Ballard was on it--Edler, Bieska and Hamuis started getting double shifted

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:39 PM
StringerBell

AV didn't shorten his bench though.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Kass Effect

Value low now, but it also depends on how desperate the opposing team is for D-men. Ballard has top-4 experience, and anyone can tell that with 5 separate 4mil+dmen, someone has to play the 3rd pair, and have their #'s suffer because of it- therefore looking overpaid and undervalued.
At this point, Canucks have no need to trade him. Canucks don't need future picks that aren't of the lottery variety - we have fututre 1sts and 2nds etc already. We intend to contend, so ridding ourselves of D-men that should be able to handle top4 minutes in a pinch... not going to happen without overpayment. I don't see any deal involving Ballard that would benefit the Canucks enough to deal him... its not as though we will be getting offers of Ballard for a top-6 forward, so there would be no point unless we have another move lined up.
I can't see a team paying more than a 2nd or a 3rd/4th line forward, but that doesn't benefit the Canucks.

Kass Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Silfverberg Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
the more or less reflects how badly the rest of the team played

his minutes per game during the 4 games he played

bieska

edler

Hamuis

salo

most constant player but did not get moved up into the top 4?
When the coach shortened his bench, Ballard was on it--Edler, Bieska and Hamuis started getting double shifted
I think it should also be noted that Ballard NEVER gets playing time from AV. Regardless of whether he's performing well or not. AV is weird like that. He plays favourites.

Silfverberg Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:03 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
I think it should also be noted that Ballard NEVER gets playing time from AV. Regardless of whether he's performing well or not. AV is weird like that. He plays favourites.
AV seemed to decide that ballard sucked from pretty much the minute they met.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote