HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post

my lord...

just stop...One has a stanley cup, Conn smythe and a Vezina finalist. The other has been a backup with too small of a sample size of games played to form any kind of legitimate opinion on. Is Schneider even the clear cut starter this year? Cause he sure wasn't last year...
Right. That's why the NHL's most successful franchise over the last half decade is on the verge of moving their star goaltender to make room for this player.

Quick comes with a 50% higher cap hit than Schneider and a risky, longterm contract. Tell me again why that would be a good move for the Canucks? Quick has 1 excellent season on his resume, with 3 seasons as a starter.

Now picture what Quick's career would look like had he been in Schneider's shoes. You guessed it - he would be tagged as unproven, just like Schneider.

You will know what I know a year from now. Just be patient.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post

The difference is that Schneider has put up better numbers (particularly save%) than both Quick and Price at every level (having played in the same leagues as Quick almost every year throughout their careers).
You can't judge goalies based on what type of numbers they put up, there are so many other variables that it's just silly.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:51 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
I wouldn't deal Schneider for Jonathan Quick.

People will have a better idea after this season why Canuck fans, coaches and managament are so high on this guy.
Delusional. Delusion everywhere.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:52 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Gardiner still has lots of question marks around him, I would prob to for a first, but not Kadri. Don't start negotiations at the lowest your willing to go though
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Consider me one of the Canucks fans who would have zero interest in trading Schneider for Gardiner. I find Gardiner to be quite overrated, just like I'm sure there are Leafs fans who feel the same way about unproven Schneider.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Where would Gardiner play on the Canucks? Our D is ridiculously deep.
I figure I ought to qualify. I only want Gardiner because it would be easier to flip him for a top six winger, as the market would be significantly larger.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Linden
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
I figure I ought to qualify. I only want Gardiner because it would be easier to flip him for a top six winger, as the market would be significantly larger.
that's was my thinking as well, get max value for Cory, then deal with our positional needs

Old
01-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
I'd rather target JVR than Gardiner, tbh.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Right. That's why the NHL's most successful franchise over the last half decade is on the verge of moving their star goaltender to make room for this player.

Quick comes with a 50% higher cap hit than Schneider and a risky, longterm contract. Tell me again why that would be a good move for the Canucks? Quick has 1 excellent season on his resume, with 3 seasons as a starter.

Now picture what Quick's career would look like had he been in Schneider's shoes. You guessed it - he would be tagged as unproven, just like Schneider.

You will know what I know a year from now. Just be patient.
OK. Till then you will just be an over-enthusiastic fan. You gotta remember that this is an NHL board and someone is going to sprinkle a little reality on the koolaid party from time to time.

Schneider is not comparable to Quick at this time. Not even close. End of story.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
You can't judge goalies based on what type of numbers they put up, there are so many other variables that it's just silly.
When you watch Quick play against Schneider it is always very close. Quick beat Schneider in 2 out of 3 games last year in the playoffs but both goalies played very well. The Canucks had injury issues (some of which continue until today) while the Kings were obviously rolling.

I've said that I would take Quick...but it's not ridiculous for some people to say that they are comparable...I will say that I would take Schneider over Price because I think that he can be more dominant consistently - and that isn't saying that I think Price is a bad goalie.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:08 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Ya so has Carey Price, but only the most obnoxious Habs fans dare to compare him to Jonathan Quick.

Lets just see how he does for a season or 2 as the starter...who knows if he will even get that chance this year.
I would not trade Schneider for Price.......maybe that's a better conversation point.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:10 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
OK. Till then you will just be an over-enthusiastic fan. You gotta remember that this is an NHL board and someone is going to sprinkle a little reality on the koolaid party from time to time.

Schneider is not comparable to Quick at this time. Not even close. End of story.
While I think Quick is an outstanding goaltender, I also tend to think that his game is made based on the fact the team in front of him plays such outstanding defense.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
When you watch Quick play against Schneider it is always very close. Quick beat Schneider in 2 out of 3 games last year in the playoffs but both goalies played very well. The Canucks had injury issues (some of which continue until today) while the Kings were obviously rolling.

I've said that I would take Quick...but it's not ridiculous for some people to say that they are comparable...I will say that I would take Schneider over Price because I think that he can be more dominant consistently - and that isn't saying that I think Price is a bad goalie.
Coming from a Habs fan...Price is much more of a comparable to Schneider than Quick is. Both have UNKNOWN ceilings which both fanbases assume is very high, while last year we saw what Quick could actually do...which is be the best goalie in the world at the time where it matters most. Something we hope that Price and Schneider will achieve.

I say the same thing to Habs fans who try to compare Price and Quick...its not close at this time.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:14 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Coming from a Habs fan...Price is much more of a comparable to Schneider than Quick is...Both have UNKNOWN ceilings which both fanbases assume is very high...while last year we saw what Quick could actually do...which is be the best goalie in the world at the time where it matters most. Something we hope that Price and Schneider will achieve.

I say the same thing to Habs fans who try to compare Price and Quick...its not close at this time.
Price has proven success as a starter over the course of an entire season, but Schneider has not shown the mental weaknesses that Price has.

I would not trade Schneider straight up for him.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:15 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
I would not trade Schneider for Price.......maybe that's a better conversation point.
Probably. We had that thread in the spring, Habs fans picked Price, Nuck fans picked Schneider and a fair majority of neutral fans picked Price because of his sample size in the league. Not saying that Price is better 1vs1 but thats' what this board's perception was.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
Price has proven success as a starter over the course of an entire season, but Schneider has not shown the mental weaknesses that Price has.

I would not trade Schneider straight up for him.
Schneider was not an NHL goalie at the age when Price showed mental weakness. He is a year older right now and a LOT less experienced.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:20 PM
JayBeautiful
Nature Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'd rather target JVR than Gardiner, tbh.
Exactly right, talented as Gardiner may be there is no roster spot for him on the Canucks and then there's Kadri who under AV would never play more than a handful of games and then we'd have to trade him or lose him on waivers alla Grabner. Like you I'd target JVR but they would have to add a 1st and a prospect like Colbourne (big top 9 center / winger potential) or Holzer (right hand Dman prospect)

Old
01-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:

Okay, while you're hoping and praying Schneider regresses this season so that you're right, I'll be expecting him to continue to play at the same level he has over the last 2 years. Which makes him a bonafide star.

Nothing we've seen from Schneider should lead anyone to believe he's inferior to Jonathan Quick. He just hasn't been afforded the luxury of having to beat out a turd like Jonathan Bernier for a starting job.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Okay, while you're hoping and praying Schneider regresses this season so that you're right, I'll be expecting him to continue to play at the same level he has over the last 2 years. Which makes him a bonafide star.

Nothing we've seen from Schneider should lead anyone to believe he's inferior to Jonathan Quick. He just hasn't been afforded the luxury of having to beat out a turd like Jonathan Bernier for a starting job.
To be clear I don't "hope" that Schneider regresses. This actually has less to do with Schneider and more to do with what Quick did this spring, or what Thomas did last spring. It is very rare to see a goalie be that dominant in the playoffs and it's quite entertaining to see fans of a team SAY "well my guy could do that too if he had the chance", I see Habs fans say it about Price and you guys say it about Schneider. And it's just not correct, that is until it is correct, if you follow me.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:34 PM
StringerBell

I think Schneider, Quick and Price are all very comparable talent wise, but it's very clearly Quick >>> Price >>> Schneider in terms of NHL results at this point. Wouldn't be surprised to see any one of them outperform any other this season.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I think Schneider, Quick and Price are all very comparable talent wise, but it's very clearly Quick >>> Price >>> Schneider in terms of NHL results at this point. Wouldn't be surprised to see any one of them outperform any other this season.
agree!

Old
01-19-2013, 02:40 PM
FAMOUSfin

Quick, Price, and Schneids all have similar potential but Quick is by and far the most established. If Quick has another real strong season then I would definately consider him among the top 5 in the league but I would be hesitant to place him there right now on a "what have you done for me lately" basis.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
To be clear I don't "hope" that Schneider regresses. This actually has less to do with Schneider and more to do with what Quick did this spring, or what Thomas did last spring. It is very rare to see a goalie be that dominant in the playoffs and it's quite entertaining to see fans of a team SAY "well my guy could do that too if he had the chance", I see Habs fans say it about Price and you guys say it about Schneider. And it's just not correct, that is until it is correct, if you follow me.
The Kings and Bruins were absurdly good defensively in the playoffs. Both goalies were outstanding but the teams in front of them were too.

What happened last spring really doesn't have any effect on what's going to happen going forward either. The Bruins just got bounced in the 1st rd...

Why are you willing to put so much emphasis on the tiny sample size of 1 playoff run, while proclaiming Schneider is 'unproven' because he's only been elite over a 60 game sample that spanned 2 years? It's contradictory.

Like I said, Jonathan Quick would be 'unproven' right now had he been drafted by the Canucks. There's just no logical way to dispute that.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Wizeman*

If we are talking about Schneider here, the guy has a mental fortitude that is highly unusual for a goaltender. He is mentally extremely strong. He does not get down on himself regardless of how the breaks are going.

At one point last year, we Canuck fans started asking.......ok, when is the last time schneider had a BAD game? Its either great , good or solid .

Grant Fuhr was great for this. He could give up 4 weak ass goals......but if the 5th meant the game......you simply weren't getting it. Period.

The amount Schneider is worth after this year will be pretty damn high. two more years of 4 mil per year .

If we hang onto Luongo to get us through the Sedin Era, we would get a huge return for Schneider for the post Sedin era.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Nash

Meanwhile Quick is sporting a 9.00 GAA after one period

I think all three of Quick, Price and Schneider are fantastic, but they are in that order just because of what they have accomplished so far. It doesn't matter if CS could have been further along with those two franchises. By the end of the season though, I hope to see CS post similar starter numbers to his back up ones and legitimize his claim to be one of the best.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Kind of OT, but I think Quick is way too overrated after just one elite season.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:34 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Kind of OT, but I think Quick is way too overrated after just one elite season.
He does give up a lot of the top of the net. Teams will have a lot of tape to dissect after last year's playoffs. He still deserves all the accolades until proven otherwise though.

Closed Thread