HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jackets Re-Sign F Jody Shelley To A Two Year Contract

Old
06-17-2006, 04:54 AM
Bruwinz37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
How about Bobby Clarke? Will he work for you? He's not exactly a wuss either.
What did he say?

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 05:46 AM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37
Get the quotes. They feel "safer"? Is that really what they said? Ok, maybe they can feel that way, but guys like Shelley do not prevent other team's players from doing their jobs in terms of big hits and agitating. Total nonsense.

I would be interested to read the entire quote though if you have it.
Well I don't have the Selanne quote saved but after '97 season (I think) Selanne told Ducks management to get couple of tough guys because him and Kariya were getting killed on the ice. Ducks got Grimson & McKenzie (both top5 fighters) and the next season Selanne was left alone.

One particular incident in Calgary; Selanne was getting slashed & whacked at wrists and ankles by Dave Roche all the time. Grimson went to Roche and told him to quit it or face the consequenses. Roche didn't get the message, slashed Selanne in the next shift which resulted Grimson jumping from the bench to the ice, chasing Roche all over the rink and then beating him to bloody pulp. Selanne played the remaining time untouched after that incident.

But like I said, go talk to the players. You're just throwing your opinions here without any substance. Go ask some skill player whether it helps him knowing that they have a tough guy on the bench or not. After that you're more informed and probably won't make posts like that.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 06:09 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
But like I said, go talk to the players. You're just throwing your opinions here without any substance. Go ask some skill player whether it helps him knowing that they have a tough guy on the bench or not. After that you're more informed and probably won't make posts like that.
Ill agree with you, I'm a Flyers fan and all the teams take liberties knowing Hitch had neutered Brashear.

Enforcers are only useless if they're not allowed to do their job or wont do their job.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2006, 06:13 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Well I don't have the Selanne quote saved but after '97 season (I think) Selanne told Ducks management to get couple of tough guys because him and Kariya were getting killed on the ice. Ducks got Grimson & McKenzie (both top5 fighters) and the next season Selanne was left alone.
But then you say this....

Quote:
One particular incident in Calgary; Selanne was getting slashed & whacked at wrists and ankles by Dave Roche all the time. Grimson went to Roche and told him to quit it or face the consequenses. Roche didn't get the message, slashed Selanne in the next shift which resulted Grimson jumping from the bench to the ice, chasing Roche all over the rink and then beating him to bloody pulp. Selanne played the remaining time untouched after that incident.
I thought you said he wasnt touched the whole year. Do you honestly think guys like Steve Avery, Jarkko Ruutu, Darcy Tucker, Tyson Nash etc, etc give a crap if a tough guy is in the other team's lineup? No way, no how.

Quote:
But like I said, go talk to the players. You're just throwing your opinions here without any substance. Go ask some skill player whether it helps him knowing that they have a tough guy on the bench or not. After that you're more informed and probably won't make posts like that
It is all opinion, that is what this board is about.....I just think that the whole goon thing is nonsense. Look at the 80s...more fights than any single decade BY FAR and if you watched hockey then there were more cheap shots than in any decade as well. Fighting has never stopped cheap shots...ever.

Believe it or not I love a good fight, I am just not naive enough to believe it does anything to help win or lose a hockey game...especially these days when it is more staged, ritualistic battles between two guys who are lucky to play 4 minutes a night.

Quite honestly if fighting did prevent cheap shots against superstars agents would have found a way to quantify it by now....but they dont because it is likely the opposite is true....just like it was in the 80s.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Pepper

Quote:
I thought you said he wasnt touched the whole year. Do you honestly think guys like Steve Avery, Jarkko Ruutu, Darcy Tucker, Tyson Nash etc, etc give a crap if a tough guy is in the other team's lineup? No way, no how.
They do give a crap, I've talked with Jarkko Ruutu personally (1 year ago) and he said he has to know the team he plays against and the players most likely to go after him. He said it's much easier to play against teams like Detroit because there would be no physical retribution coming.

Quote:
It is all opinion, that is what this board is about.....I just think that the whole goon thing is nonsense. Look at the 80s...more fights than any single decade BY FAR and if you watched hockey then there were more cheap shots than in any decade as well. Fighting has never stopped cheap shots...ever.

Believe it or not I love a good fight, I am just not naive enough to believe it does anything to help win or lose a hockey game...especially these days when it is more staged, ritualistic battles between two guys who are lucky to play 4 minutes a night.

Quite honestly if fighting did prevent cheap shots against superstars agents would have found a way to quantify it by now....but they dont because it is likely the opposite is true....just like it was in the 80s.
That's only your opinion.

I'll take the players' word over yours. Sorry.

Old
06-20-2006, 11:27 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

All these theories about "enforcers" are interesting.

But Jody Shelley had almost HALF the number of penalty minutes this past year as the previous year, and they STILL gave him a two year contract.

Both the Jackets GM and Coach were quoted as saying Shelley contributes in other ways and that his game is improving (he's young). He's also FEARLESS at the crease, and darn hard to shove out of the way. And he is by no means a cheapshot artist.

To say he's a crowd favorite is an understatement. He's a personality guy, and apparently the organization values that both IN and OUTSIDE the lockeroom, as well as on the ice.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 11:38 PM
paxtang

"To prevent this from happening again, Anaheim bulked up by signing long-time and well-respected fighter Stu Grimson, a.k.a "The Grim Reaper." In 1998-99, Selanne and Kariya ranked No. 2 and 3 in the scoring race, Grimson was in the top 25 in penalty minutes, and their team finished above .500 and earned a playoff berth.

Selanne recently told The Hockey News, 'Just having him in the lineup, the other team knows they can't do any dirty things. Opponents can play hard, they can play tough, but they have to play clean.' "

paxtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 11:39 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

I can't speak for other teams, but I can tell you that the number of cheapshots Crosby took decreased dramatically when the Pens picked up Eric Cairns.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 01:40 AM
Pepper

"....but, but enforcers are useless, there's no role for them, they don't prevent cheapshots blah blah blah...."

that's the mantra repeated to ad nauseum by people who don't either like fighting in hockey and/or don't know hockey well enough to understand the role of enforcers.

Fortunately hockey people themselves know better.

Old
06-21-2006, 08:45 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
"....but, but enforcers are useless, there's no role for them, they don't prevent cheapshots blah blah blah...."

that's the mantra repeated to ad nauseum by people who don't either like fighting in hockey and/or don't know hockey well enough to understand the role of enforcers.

Fortunately hockey people themselves know better.

Pepper, in a roundabout way, you're defending Columbus.
I'm proud of you.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote