HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Realistic Expections for Dougie Hamilton This Season.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Bruwinz37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Well if management decides he should stay up (or go down) shouldn't we be smart to agree & defer to their expertise over message board posters that think they should do something different?
No, we shouldnt be a flock of sheep...thanks for the suggestion Einstein. Until anyone in management proves themself perfect we are allowed to discuss our opinions. That really is what this board is for. Not hard to figure out for anyone with a moderate level of intelligence.
Quote:
I think he should stay up but if the B's send him down, I am going to assume that is probably best.
BAAAAAAAAAA
Quote:
I don't think players of his caliber get ruined even if they are brought up early. I think players who have been "ruined" probably weren't good enough or didn't have the work ethic in the first place. I think good players will be good whether they get sent back too long, or are brought up early. Learning in the NHL has trememdous benefits even if the rookie season doesn't end up looking so good.
Did I suggest he would get ruined? Did anyone?

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:23 AM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 250
Like ~10 points, lots of mistakes. But I don't think he'll be as bad as a lot of you are expecting.

The main board (HFLeafs NHL Talk) will be calling him a bust, and this board will still be burning down by next Tuesday.

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:25 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
Like ~10 points, lots of mistakes. But I don't think he'll be as bad as a lot of you are expecting.

The main board (HFLeafs NHL Talk) will be calling him a bust, and this board will still be burning down by next Tuesday.
I am not expecting him to be a disaster, I just would have been in favor of more veteran depth if he proves to be not ready early on. Aaron Johnson in the #6 spot is fine in a pinch, but not long term. If Quaider is out for too long then we have issues.

Old
01-19-2013, 09:31 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Not looking at this as a fan, but what I expected has already happened. Anything else is just a bonus.

There was absolutely no way, no chance in hell, even the remotest of possibilities that Dougie Hamilton was going back to the Niagara Ice Dogs if the Boston Bruins were going to play any hockey this season.

He's in Boston to be under the leadership of Chara, Bergeron, Thornton (among others), to work with a professional strength and conditioning coach, and to learn how to be motivated each and every shift. Things he will never get in St Catherines Ontario. Stats are secondary.
Stats aren`t secondary for many here Dom as you well know

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Stats aren`t secondary for many here Dom as you well know
That's because some people only listen to the radio and don't actually watch the players.

Hopefully this year is good for Dougie. There are some good points to the contrary, it will be an intense 48 games with every game (and therefore every mistake) meaning that much more. I can see it going either way honestly. Be nice if the Bruins had a better filler then Johnson, but trade deadline might provide the neccessary filler should it come to that.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Not looking at this as a fan, but what I expected has already happened. Anything else is just a bonus.

There was absolutely no way, no chance in hell, even the remotest of possibilities that Dougie Hamilton was going back to the Niagara Ice Dogs if the Boston Bruins were going to play any hockey this season.

He's in Boston to be under the leadership of Chara, Bergeron, Thornton (among others), to work with a professional strength and conditioning coach, and to learn how to be motivated each and every shift. Things he will never get in St Catherines Ontario. Stats are secondary.
No, no, you're just a lackey who agrees with management.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
No, no, you're just a lackey who agrees with management.

I luv you too Artemis

I know you are being sarcastic, and you know more than anyone I've been saying it since before last season ended. There's more to it than just "is he ready or isn't he ready?" At some point, you have to decide in what's best for the player's development, both on and off the ice.

So realistically, it's more like Bruins management agrees with me

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:47 PM
RunFromTheBear

Hamilton scores a goal tonight off a deflection in front. Ends up getting sent back to Niagra so the Bruins don't have to burn a year on his contract.

RunFromTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:30 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinSG17 View Post
Hamilton scores a goal tonight off a deflection in front. Ends up getting sent back to Niagra so the Bruins don't have to burn a year on his contract.
Offensively I am much more confident in what Hamilton will provide. In fact I am pretty confident, if used properly, he will fit right in. It is only a concern that beyond him, if he doesnt work out, that we just dont have the depth that I would like in a season where every game is crucial.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:18 PM
sjaustin77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
No, we shouldnt be a flock of sheep...thanks for the suggestion Einstein. Until anyone in management proves themself perfect we are allowed to discuss our opinions. That really is what this board is for. Not hard to figure out for anyone with a moderate level of intelligence.

BAAAAAAAAAA

Did I suggest he would get ruined? Did anyone?
Thanks for the sarcastic name calling.

Did I say you can't discuss your opinions? You can disagree with the decision; but unless you have been there all camp, been in on the discussions, have the same hockey background as the collective of the Bruins management then their decision is probably better than yours on what is best for the Bruins and Hamilton. If you think you are smarter than Bruin's management then good for you. I guess I'm not worthy of speaking with you.

I'm not sure I'm smart enough to know what BAAAAAAAAAA means. I don't think I am smarter than Bruins management even though I would disagree with their decision to send him back.

Did I say that you or anyone suggested that he would get ruined? That is usually part of the worry about people wanting to send a kid back. I was expanding on my thought and discussing my opinion on hockey.

That really is what this board is for. What it isn't for is sarcastic name calling, and condescension telling me what the board is for (which I don't think you get), and insinuating that I might not have a moderate level of intelligence. Or discussing Artemis views on whether she sides with management or not. Not hard to figure out if you are as smart as you assume. Stick to discussing posters hockey opinions without the other ****.

sjaustin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaustin77 View Post

Did I say you can't discuss your opinions? You can disagree with the decision; but unless you have been there all camp, been in on the discussions, have the same hockey background as the collective of the Bruins management then their decision is probably better than yours on what is best for the Bruins and Hamilton. If you think you are smarter than Bruin's management then good for you. I guess I'm not worthy of speaking with you.

I'm not sure I'm smart enough to know what BAAAAAAAAAA means. I don't think I am smarter than Bruins management even though I would disagree with their decision to send him back.

Did I say that you or anyone suggested that he would get ruined? That is usually part of the worry about people wanting to send a kid back. I was expanding on my thought and discussing my opinion on hockey.

That really is what this board is for. What it isn't for is sarcastic name calling, and condescension telling me what the board is for (which I don't think you get), and insinuating that I might not have a moderate level of intelligence. Or discussing Artemis views on whether she sides with management or not. Not hard to figure out if you are as smart as you assume. Stick to discussing posters hockey opinions without the other ****.
But it is ok for you to insinuate that fans/posters shouldnt question Bruins management? Thats some double standard you have there. Because that is exactly what you did.....so if you dont want to get called out try to be at least consistent.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Afam
Nigeria&Usa

Quote:

Oh Snap. Lol.

Afam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:19 PM
sjaustin77

Quote:
But it is ok for you to insinuate that fans/posters shouldnt question Bruins management? Thats some double standard you have there. Because that is exactly what you did.....so if you dont want to get called out try to be at least consistent.
I don't think I did that. I am saying that they have more information than most (all?) posters here. You can question, discuss, disagree with them, but they ultimately are probably making a better decision than the ones that disagree with them here, as I would if they send him back. My opinion is pretty much like OOG's and he has outlined the reasons why I think they should and likely are keeping him.

My response was on your comment on Artemis views which really has nothing to do with the hockey discussion. Artemis is smart enough to know that she isn't as smart as Bruins management. You make unnecessary comments like that a lot as you did in your response to me. If you want to discuss the hockey reasons why you agree & disagree, which you have done some of that is fine.

The rest isn't needed though you are free to do what you want within the rules of the site or if no one calls you out on it like I did. (And you are certainly not alone in that regard especially in regards to Artemis who takes a lot of **** for being positive, liking the Bruins players, and deferring to management, instead of discussing hockey).

Nothing personal, I think you are smart with good hockey knowledge, and I would rather read that from you (and others) than the rest of the stuff.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
I don't think I did that. I am saying that they have more information than most (all?) posters here. You can question, discuss, disagree with them, but they ultimately are probably making a better decision than the ones that disagree with them here, as I would if they send him back. My opinion is pretty much like OOG's and he has outlined the reasons why I think they should and likely are keeping him.

My response was on your comment on Artemis views which really has nothing to do with the hockey discussion. Artemis is smart enough to know that she isn't as smart as Bruins management. You make unnecessary comments like that a lot as you did in your response to me. If you want to discuss the hockey reasons why you agree & disagree, which you have done some of that is fine.

The rest isn't needed though you are free to do what you want within the rules of the site or if no one calls you out on it like I did. (And you are certainly not alone in that regard especially in regards to Artemis who takes a lot of **** for being positive, liking the Bruins players, and deferring to management, instead of discussing hockey).

Nothing personal, I think you are smart with good hockey knowledge, and I would rather read that from you (and others) than the rest of the stuff.

You said we should just defer to them. Listen, I am not disputing that Hamilton should be up here. My issue is that I would like more veteran depth on D for insurance. Period. My issue with Artemis is that she constantly gets all over ANYONE and EVERYONE who suggests things arent perfect. Its nonsense.

I am not saying I know more or less, but over the years I can recount times I made suggestions that would have ended up being right even though they had more info. I get it that these guys live and breathe this stuff....but they aren't tracking asteroids or finding cures for cancer....they are evaluating hockey players. Its not really that hard and many of us have watched enough hockey over the years to have a qualified opinion.

So, in conclusion, I want Hamilton on the team. I think and hope he will do well. Ultimately it will be good for him BUT it could hurt us a little in the short term should his learning curve be longer than expected.....therefore my wish to have a veteran D on hand.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

I'm thinking

Ross, Hart, Norris, Smythe, Calder, Lindsay.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:56 PM
sjaustin77

Quote:
You said we should just defer to them. Listen, I am not disputing that Hamilton should be up here. My issue is that I would like more veteran depth on D for insurance. Period. My issue with Artemis is that she constantly gets all over ANYONE and EVERYONE who suggests things arent perfect. Its nonsense.

I am not saying I know more or less, but over the years I can recount times I made suggestions that would have ended up being right even though they had more info. I get it that these guys live and breathe this stuff....but they aren't tracking asteroids or finding cures for cancer....they are evaluating hockey players. Its not really that hard and many of us have watched enough hockey over the years to have a qualified opinion.

So, in conclusion, I want Hamilton on the team. I think and hope he will do well. Ultimately it will be good for him BUT it could hurt us a little in the short term should his learning curve be longer than expected.....therefore my wish to have a veteran D on hand.
Yes, defer to them on the actual decision, and they could end up being wrong whichever way they decide and the fans who disagreed are right. There are shades of gray but it is basically a 50/50 chance. He is either ready or not. Deferring to management doesn't mean we can't discuss or have to agree with it, or end up being smarter than the team. Or maybe they made the right decision and it just didn't work out right. Or there ends up being no real right or wrong, it would have worked out good or bad either way though I guess that is impossible to prove.

If it was tracking asteroids or finding cures for cancer, even if you knew a lot about those issues; wouldn't you defer to the people who are better experts even if you disagreed with their opinion on something?

I don't think Artemis has ever said things are perfect or she doesn't want to improve the team. And I think she probably goes overboard, but is more correct on a lot of the issues than many who are pessimistic, and then she gets a lot of flak for her viewpoint itself, and not the facts. And I don't want to keep talking about a particular poster, but in general; I just think people need to be more respectful and talk hockey opinions. They also need to compare the Bruins to other current teams. Not the cup team, the 84 Oilers or 70 and 72 Bruins.

What is actually nonsense are the people who say that we don't have depth. Yes everyone wants some better players, and not have any question marks and have more depth, but the Bruins are as deep as any team. No team doesn't have the same or worse problems or questions, and many of their question marks are higher up the depth chart.

Thanks for your opinion. That is the type of posts we need more of. I largely agree with your conclusion and it could hurt us a little in the short term, but we do have a veteran D on hand after his conditioning stint. Johnson is an NHL D. He has 281 games and had 16 points in just 56 games last year. He was a minus but he was on Columbus. He is actually a +1 for his career and was a +19 on Chicago in only 38 games a couple years ago. He is a great 6/7 D.

I don't want any of these next guys playing a major role but if you get 8 or more deep on any team you are screwed.

Exelby - 408 NHL games. Can probably fill in for a couple even if he hasn't played NHL in a couple years.
Krug, Bartkowski, Cohen, all have a couple games under their belt. Krug looked pretty good last year. I really, really would not want the other two to have to play more than a fill in game. Then we have guys with no experience who could be OK.

I don't know what the order is from #8 down. Probably Krug/Warsofsky/Bartkowski, then Exelby, then Cohen or Cross? I don't think that is a bad #8-13 group. Hopefully we never need more than 7 or 8 and there is always the trade deadline.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

I'm expecting him to be sheltered being a young rookie dman on a good team. He's gangly at this point, concerned about him getting outmuscled and forwards getting underneath him in high traffic areas. Offensively I expect him to get some time on the pp, he certainly can't ruin it and it is one of the things he does best.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Yes, defer to them on the actual decision, and they could end up being wrong whichever way they decide and the fans who disagreed are right. There are shades of gray but it is basically a 50/50 chance. He is either ready or not. Deferring to management doesn't mean we can't discuss or have to agree with it, or end up being smarter than the team. Or maybe they made the right decision and it just didn't work out right. Or there ends up being no real right or wrong, it would have worked out good or bad either way though I guess that is impossible to prove.

If it was tracking asteroids or finding cures for cancer, even if you knew a lot about those issues; wouldn't you defer to the people who are better experts even if you disagreed with their opinion on something?

I don't think Artemis has ever said things are perfect or she doesn't want to improve the team. And I think she probably goes overboard, but is more correct on a lot of the issues than many who are pessimistic, and then she gets a lot of flak for her viewpoint itself, and not the facts. And I don't want to keep talking about a particular poster, but in general; I just think people need to be more respectful and talk hockey opinions. They also need to compare the Bruins to other current teams. Not the cup team, the 84 Oilers or 70 and 72 Bruins.

What is actually nonsense are the people who say that we don't have depth. Yes everyone wants some better players, and not have any question marks and have more depth, but the Bruins are as deep as any team. No team doesn't have the same or worse problems or questions, and many of their question marks are higher up the depth chart.

Thanks for your opinion. That is the type of posts we need more of. I largely agree with your conclusion and it could hurt us a little in the short term, but we do have a veteran D on hand after his conditioning stint. Johnson is an NHL D. He has 281 games and had 16 points in just 56 games last year. He was a minus but he was on Columbus. He is actually a +1 for his career and was a +19 on Chicago in only 38 games a couple years ago. He is a great 6/7 D.

I don't want any of these next guys playing a major role but if you get 8 or more deep on any team you are screwed.

Exelby - 408 NHL games. Can probably fill in for a couple even if he hasn't played NHL in a couple years.
Krug, Bartkowski, Cohen, all have a couple games under their belt. Krug looked pretty good last year. I really, really would not want the other two to have to play more than a fill in game. Then we have guys with no experience who could be OK.

I don't know what the order is from #8 down. Probably Krug/Warsofsky/Bartkowski, then Exelby, then Cohen or Cross? I don't think that is a bad #8-13 group. Hopefully we never need more than 7 or 8 and there is always the trade deadline.
Exelby is as close to an NHL defenseman as I am... but I defer to management if they choose to bring him up.

Am i doing it right?

Well... maybe he's a bit closer. Wish Colin White had of gotten an invite.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:03 PM
sjaustin77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Exelby is as close to an NHL defenseman as I am... but I defer to management if they choose to bring him up.

Am i doing it right?
Yes you are doing it right. If they call him up it is because they think he is the best option at the time and they probably have more information than you do on the subject. Feel free to voice your opinion, discuss, agree or disagree. Maybe they would want him for a tougher game. Maybe the others were nursing injuries at the time of call up.

I would probably not agree that he is the best choice and I said I think he is behind some of the younger guys. I think that is obvious. I forgot Trotman as well. He looks to be doing well. Exelby does have the most NHL experience though and he has the highest plus/minus on Providence right now. We can discuss it if/when it happens.

Last edited by sjaustin77: 01-19-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Thought you were being sarcastic, removed my comment after you edited
Old
01-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Congrats, you are a pretty good player then. What AHL defenseman are you? Do you have a shot at a call up this year?

Yes you are doing it right. If they call him up it is because they think he is the best option at the time and they probably have more information than you do on the subject. Feel free to voice your opinion, discuss, agree or disagree. Maybe they would want him for a tougher game. Maybe the others were nursing injuries at the time of call up.

I would probably not agree that he is the best choice and I said I think he is behind some of the younger guys. I think that is obvious. I forgot Trotman as well. He looks to be doing well. Exelby does have the most NHL experience though and he has the highest plus/minus on Providence right now. We can discuss it if/when it happens.
I defer to management, I have no need of an opinion, Warsofsky is obviously the best bet for depth.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:06 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
I don't think Artemis has ever said things are perfect or she doesn't want to improve the team.
Absolutely. Because I don't think trading half the team for the flavor of the week improves the Bruins doesn't mean I think they're perfect. When the Bruins traded Wheeler and received Peverley, for example, I was all for it. I just didn't feel it was necessary to dump on Wheeler on his way out of town. I only crap on players who IMHO deserve it (i.e. the Torreses and Cookes of the world).

I didn't like the Kaberle trade, never wanted it, but once it was done I wanted nothing more than for Kaberle to excel. He contributed to the Cup win, and I was glad, but I challenge anyone to find a post by me saying he should be re-signed. I was glad he wasn't. I also wasn't a fan of the Corvo signing, and didn't champion it beyond saying let's see what happens and give him a chance. If that's saying the Bruins are "perfect" or championing every move they make, so be it, I guess.

People see what they want to see, especially on the Internet. Just because I'm not waving a torch and a pitchfork doesn't mean I'm waving pompoms. I just try to enjoy my team rather than trash it.

Back to your regularly schedule programming.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:00 PM
sjaustin77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I defer to management, I have no need of an opinion, Warsofsky is obviously the best bet for depth.
Well you can have an opinion on it but are also free to not have one. I thought you were being sarcastic with me in your original comment. I agree it looks like Warsofsky could be the first option.

I'm not sure Colin White has anything left but he would have been an option. Maybe they did want to give him a try and he went where he thought he had a better chance or was more comfortable. Probably not; I think they were pretty comfortable with Hamilton/Johnson as the 6/7 to start the season.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Absolutely. Because I don't think trading half the team for the flavor of the week improves the Bruins doesn't mean I think they're perfect. When the Bruins traded Wheeler and received Peverley, for example, I was all for it. I just didn't feel it was necessary to dump on Wheeler on his way out of town. I only crap on players who IMHO deserve it (i.e. the Torreses and Cookes of the world).

I didn't like the Kaberle trade, never wanted it, but once it was done I wanted nothing more than for Kaberle to excel. He contributed to the Cup win, and I was glad, but I challenge anyone to find a post by me saying he should be re-signed. I was glad he wasn't. I also wasn't a fan of the Corvo signing, and didn't champion it beyond saying let's see what happens and give him a chance. If that's saying the Bruins are "perfect" or championing every move they make, so be it, I guess.

People see what they want to see, especially on the Internet. Just because I'm not waving a torch and a pitchfork doesn't mean I'm waving pompoms. I just try to enjoy my team rather than trash it.

Back to your regularly schedule programming.
LMFAO....you NEVER want any trade...thats the point. Any time it is suggested we upgrade you fight the idea that there is even a thought behind it. If you see pitchforks when people say somethign like: "It would be good to have some veteran depth on D" then you might need to see a dr about a good script.

Old
01-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Well you can have an opinion on it but are also free to not have one. I thought you were being sarcastic with me in your original comment. I agree it looks like Warsofsky could be the first option.

I'm not sure Colin White has anything left but he would have been an option. Maybe they did want to give him a try and he went where he thought he had a better chance or was more comfortable. Probably not; I think they were pretty comfortable with Hamilton/Johnson as the 6/7 to start the season.
Excellent and I'm glad I have your permission, but you've already made a fantastic case as to why we never need have an opinion. It doesn't look like Warsofsky is the best option, he is the best option as we can just defer to management for our opinion.

I mentioned White before realizing how easy it is to just defer to management. I now retract that opinion, he obviously isn't a good option else B's brass would have signed him. Consider me signed up. Where's my membership card?

Old
01-19-2013, 08:29 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Only one game, but Hamilton looks like he belongs so far. Solid game from the kid.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote