HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2012-13 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 04:25 PM
Droc
Classless

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
Im never one to defend a big corporation, especially not the NHL. But from a technical standpoint I more than understand what's going on and can tolerate it. $50 service and hockey 4 months late means a LOT more people are going at it, and they didn't predict it accurately. I don't know about your end, but I've missed all of 5 minutes so far.

I'd be upset it this cost $150... or if this is still happening next week. One or two nights with a few issues? Par for the course. You must not play online games

Either way, like I said... you can't reach anyone and you're not gonna get a refund before the issues are fixed. It's $50. You'll probably regret the impulse.

I dont give them any excuse for a cluster***** like this.
I went the past 3 years streaming these games for free. The lockout pissed me off alot but I choose to flip it and support my team by purchasing 6 jerseys last week and the game by getting gamecenter.
They put the resources into the signup and billing pages, but the majority of people, basically everyone but you, cannot even login after 2 hours of play.
From a "technical standpoint" they handled this like f(_)cking morons.
So yah, for me its worth a refund. The only reason I purchased this was to have a better streaming experience vs what I always had in the past for free. Its clear that my money cannot make that happen, so free it is.

Old
Pourquoi pas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Give me some links, please. I've only heard rumours so far.

As you know, the Stanley Cup finals were shown on European TV channels such as Nova Sport. But they still were not blacked out in GameCenter in Europe.
What part of "the situation has changed since the last season" you don't understand?

Do you really need a link? You claim there were no blackouts in Europe last year, but there are clearly blackouts now. Isn't it enough for you?

It's funny how you persuade everyone to "calm down" and "everything's gonna be alright" while you've clearly missed a lot on the recent development..

Old
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidFire View Post
This was expected. Why weren't they prepared?

There's always an apologist complaining about others complaining
Because there was this thing called the lockout. Their website went from being visited by nearly no one to being viewed by every hockey fan.

There is always one idiot who doesnt understand how networking works and just wants to join the others in complaining

Old
RapidFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
was it really expected?

maybe they expected the same as last year, but once it comes up and that number is triple that. should the nhl really think the bandwidth would triple after a lockout? lol
Yes they should think that, as the number of subscriptions would also increase around that amount.

So the NHL were unprepared and its their fault.

Old
MAJackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourquoi pas View Post
Do you fail to realize that the situation has changed since the last season? There will be blackouts in Europe, it has been confirmed for several countries already..
What annoys me most is that there was no communication of this to subscribers in Europe. If anyone received any information from the NHL prior to this season, that would be news to me because I received no notice.

GameCenter Live in the UK is now subject to blackouts due to the NHL's agreement with Premier Sports (http://www.premiersports.tv/). Information is included on their site. I find the fact that games that they are not showing live but on delay are also blacked out is a terrible policy. Does anyone know if France is subject to blackouts? I also have a home there and am curious for when I'm there. Are there any countries in Europe that don't have blackouts?

GameCenter Live is also not working on iOS apps. All the more shocking as the league had an extra few months to improve their apps, instead it looks worse than last year.

Fans living in Europe are an afterthought to the NHL.

Old
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBruin View Post
The new PS3 app hasn't even been released yet. Of course your new subscription won't work with the inactive old app.
I had no idea that wasn't the new app. First time using this. After the download it had to go through an update, so I logically assumed that was all good. Especially after it provided me with a link code right after.

Thanks for the info.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:26 PM
The Angry Teatowel
@AngryTeatowel

Quote:
This was expected. Why weren't they prepared?

There's always an apologist complaining about others complaining
This. No excuses, they knew it was coming and that is why we pay to use this service. I want the live streaming that I shelled out for, not excuses.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:27 PM
RapidFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
Because there was this thing called the lockout. Their website went from being visited by nearly no one to being viewed by every hockey fan.
for **** sakes, THEY WOULD GET AN IDEA OF HOW MANY USERS WOULD BE USING GAMECENTER BY HOW MANY SUBSCRIPTIONS THEY HAVE

Old
01-19-2013, 04:28 PM
RedBruin

Quote:
I had no idea that wasn't the new app. First time using this. After the download it had to go through an update, so I logically assumed that was all good. Especially after it provided me with a link code right after.

Thanks for the info.
No problem, PS3 app probably isn't coming until the first week of February

Old
01-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:

There is always one idiot who doesnt understand how networking works and just wants to join the others in complaining
It's amazing isn't it? This is one of the reasons I no longer work directly with any clients.

It's mind-boggling that there's just zero understanding and patience with this stuff, like everything needs to always magically work 100% of the time.

"I gave you money, therefore you're never allowed to not be perfect!"

Old
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
for **** sakes, THEY WOULD GET AN IDEA OF HOW MANY USERS WOULD BE USING GAMECENTER BY HOW MANY SUBSCRIPTIONS THEY HAVE
EXCEPT PEOPLE CAN SUBSCRIBE EVEN TODAY.

(caps locks sure is fun, isnt it...)

Clearly I am arguing with people who have no idea about launching a web service. Please, tell me how you test 100,000 simultaneous connections to your service.

Old
captain4wes0me
Rookie User

It's weird that I am one of the only few for whom it is working fine. Never had a gltich or stutter for the whole game (phili-pittsburg) and the quality on my tv is pretty good although it's only 3000kb/s.
I think the xbox app will be backup for the later games or now later than tomorrow.
I also think the dns provider like unblock will have the things figured out later or tomorrow and then I hope that blackouts are not a problem anymore. SInce I am from germany I am an ublock user already becasue of netflix.
So we'll see.

Maybe they thought that all the guys who said the will boycott the NHL will infect do it and that's why gcl is having some much connectivity problems since they didn't think that the response and demand would be so huge.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Droc
Classless

Quote:

So they derped like no one has derped before and didnt plan for this, clearly unprecedented situation.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Boston
Captain Chara

Can 2 people use GameCenter Live at the same time?

What is the deal with the free preview? Can I get it on my computer?

Old
01-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

so finally got in with my xbox for philly/pitts....

I get the small screen, but if I click to enlarge it says "video not available".....lol

It's comical... watching this game in the top left clip thing

Old
01-19-2013, 04:33 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
And they probably planned for that, as every other service that struggles does... but planning and reality are two different things. There are certain elements that need to be adjusted no matter what, it's the nature of the thing.

The best companies in the world, with the most experience in these matters STILL go through these hiccups.

In the future you should probably avoid release period. It's par for the course and will continue to be for some time yet.

Old
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain4wes0me View Post
It's weird that I am one of the only few for whom it is working fine. Never had a gltich or stutter for the whole game (phili-pittsburg) and the quality on my tv is pretty good although it's only 3000kb/s.
I think the xbox app will be backup for the later games or now later than tomorrow.
I also think the dns provider like unblock will have the things figured out later or tomorrow and then I hope that blackouts are not a problem anymore. SInce I am from germany I am an ublock user already becasue of netflix.
So we'll see.

Maybe they thought that all the guys who said the will boycott the NHL will infect do it and that's why gcl is having some much connectivity problems since they didn't think that the response and demand would be so huge.
try changing games, and you probably wouldn't be singing that tune any more lol.

Old
RapidFire

Quote:
It's amazing isn't it? This is one of the reasons I no longer work directly with any clients.

It's mind-boggling that there's just zero understanding and patience with this stuff, like everything needs to always magically work 100% of the time.

"I gave you money, therefore you're never allowed to not be perfect!"
Quote:
EXCEPT PEOPLE CAN SUBSCRIBE EVEN TODAY.

(caps locks sure is fun, isnt it...)

Clearly I am arguing with people who have no idea about launching a web service. Please, tell me how you test 100,000 simultaneous connections to your service.
Yes, I must have zero understanding. Please educate me with your brilliant minds.

No one expects a perfect service. What I expect is it to not be unusable.

You know what HFBoards does before the trade deadline? Acquires more bandwidth to deal with the extra amount of users/viewers.

Now please continue about how we're all whiners and unpatient morons....

Old
theripper

for those saying its just $50, It doesnt matter how much it costs. If I paid $300, or $1, it doesn't matter. I want this service,and I did what I had to do to get it. If it doesn't work, then I have a right to complain.

Old
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
everything is a-ok here now.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:34 PM
captain4wes0me
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Can 2 people use GameCenter Live at the same time?

What is the deal with the free preview? Can I get it on my computer?
You can register up to 5 devices If i am correct.
I was logged on yesterday at the same time with the same account with my brother.
I worked but there weren't any games yesterday so I am not quite sure

Old
captain4wes0me
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
try changing games, and you probably wouldn't be singing that tune any more lol.
maybe yeah, good thing that this is the only game I want to watch

Old
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
So they derped like no one has derped before and didnt plan for this, clearly unprecedented situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasmacarthur View Post
I can tell you how to refrain from advertising and taking money for doing something that requires that when you aren't able to. I'm doing so right now!

I don't know how to build a PS3 either but I'd still be annoyed if I paid $250+ for one and got a phone book instead.
You guys clearly dont play online games much. This happens all the time at a games launch. Everyone who has access to the product will attempt to connect at launch at the same time. This is not a normal situation and the servers will fail.

And your comparison between hardware and software is a joke. To completely different things. I guess I know now not to come to a hockey board and expect its members to be technically inclined at all. Im out of here, keep your complaining about something that happens all the time to web services... Im sure its gonna help a ton.

Old
Raider917

vCash: 179
the nhl have always had a ****** website compared to nfl and mlb.this doesnt suprise me.

Old
bigred50

lol. It barely works for the 3pm games... can't wait to see what happens when 7pm rolls around and all those Leafs/Habs fans try to get on GCL. Yikes.

Closed Thread