HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2012-13 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 05:35 PM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidFire View Post
Yes, I must have zero understanding. Please educate me with your brilliant minds.

No one expects a perfect service. What I expect is it to not be unusable.

You know what HFBoards does before the trade deadline? Acquires more bandwidth to deal with the extra amount of users/viewers.

Now please continue about how we're all whiners and unpatient morons....
By the way, HFboard often crashes or becomes highly unresponsive during trade deadline/free agency. This is exactly the same thing.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain4wes0me View Post
maybe yeah, good thing that this is the only game I want to watch
lol yeah i made that mistake, i wanted to watch the banner lifting (worked like a charm), tried changing to the pens/flyers game and its been down since.

Old
steveat

Ok...so it's not my crap connection that is the problem....

I thought I messed up..was watching the Jets game and decided to see how bad LA was playing...(last I checked 4-0 CHI)...and that's when it broke.

Old
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
It's amazing isn't it? This is one of the reasons I no longer work directly with any clients.

It's mind-boggling that there's just zero understanding and patience with this stuff, like everything needs to always magically work 100% of the time.

"I gave you money, therefore you're never allowed to not be perfect!"
This. There is a reason the current generation is nicknamed the "Entitled Generation"

Old
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidFire View Post
Yes, I must have zero understanding. Please educate me with your brilliant minds.

No one expects a perfect service. What I expect is it to not be unusable.

You know what HFBoards does before the trade deadline? Acquires more bandwidth to deal with the extra amount of users/viewers.

Now please continue about how we're all whiners and unpatient morons....
This whole time I've been back and forth'ing with you guys, I have been watching Pitts/Philly in great quality with no stutters (not a single one...) on the other monitor.

Clearly the service works, but it going through some hiccups and slowdown. It's therefore not unusable or broken, just struggling to get it's feet under it and adjust for load.

Edit: When I switched feeds earlier is when I lost connection and had trouble getting back in. I waited a bit, closed everything down, and reloaded it clean... re-entering my log/pw, and then let it load (which did take quite a while) to the GCL main page. It was automatically on LAK and I couldn't change over to Philly. I used the bottom "change feed" bar and moved it to Philly. Nothing happened. I closed everything down again, and when I got back in it was on Philly automatically, and I've been fine since. I won't be changing feed again, obviously. Hopefully this helps someone... it's just really slow to load in, but once in you should be good.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:37 PM
ThankYouBasedGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
By the way, HFboard often crashes or becomes highly unresponsive during trade deadline/free agency. This is exactly the same thing.
He doesn't pay for HFBoards. I have all three games on in my area so it doesn't affect me now, but if it's not working when the Wings play tonight I'm going to be pissed.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:37 PM
Eddy Livingstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
What does ESPN America have to do with Slovakia, for example? Sorry, I don't believe this for now. Not sure if ESPN America can be watched in Slovakia at all, and if yes, it's an extremely obscure channel. Should they start blacklisting based on that, people will have no compunction resorting to pirated offerings (both free and paid-for).
Maybe it is some other channel in Slovakia, but apparently if it is shown on a tv channel in your country, you cannot watch live on GCL.

I actually told the rep that they are creating the market for illegal streams by limiting the rights of legitimate customers. He told me there was nothing he could do about it, but that I could write an e-mail to the NHL explaining my point. He also offered to terminate my account if I was unsatisfied with the service.

I will write an e-mail to John Collins tomorrow. Last year they ruined the start of the season by selling the rights to some obscure media company that failed to sign up tv channels in time for the start of the season and this year they offend their European fan base with black outs.

"Thank you fans" "Sorry" and all the other excuses should have come with an asterisk...'but we'll black as many games out for you as we can, because we are more sorry to the tv companies'.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Munskin
Rookie User

Contact with support

Contacted gamecenter support two days ago about the blackout restrictions for the Netherlands. This was the reply:

Hello,

Yes, at this time there are no restrictions in your country, you will be able to watch all games on with your subscription.

Thank You

NHL Support

Absolutely pissed off right now and considering to cancel my subscription.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:38 PM
theripper

Quote:
EXCEPT PEOPLE CAN SUBSCRIBE EVEN TODAY.

(caps locks sure is fun, isnt it...)

Clearly I am arguing with people who have no idea about launching a web service. Please, tell me how you test 100,000 simultaneous connections to your service.
dude, Neulion provides the NFL league pass, UFC, and a bunch of other sports. You're telling me they've never had experience with stuff like this? One time the UFC gave a free PPV on XBOX,and there were way more people trying to connect than people who bought NHL centerice,and the servers crashed hard. Don't you think they've had enough experience?

Old
01-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Droc
Classless

Quote:
EXCEPT PEOPLE CAN SUBSCRIBE EVEN TODAY.

(caps locks sure is fun, isnt it...)

Clearly I am arguing with people who have no idea about launching a web service. Please, tell me how you test 100,000 simultaneous connections to your service.
I dont know if you noticed, but this is not the service launch, and it has only has years of testing...

Old
01-19-2013, 05:41 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

i can't even sign in. it just says login service unavailable.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

So I left the game I was watching and I can't connect back in.. when I'm on the gamecenter video page it works fine but I can't get back there ugh..

My favorite team isn't on yet but this is still maddening.

Old
RapidFire

Dont bother replying anymore to those two apologists.

The NHL makes enough money to pay for enough bandwidth. (Not like HFBoards, Brovalchuk )

And the fact that this isnt the case is sad and you should be disappointed/angry.

Old
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droc View Post
I dont know if you noticed, but this is not the service launch, and it has only has years of testing...
This should be obvious, and it's been mentioned, but this likely is unprecedented for them due to the low cost and the lockout. People are chomping at the bit for hockey, so the load must be far greater than they've experienced on previous day 1's.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:44 PM
MGF0723

I haven't caught up with what's going on in this thread but to the people who have Game Center live.....is it saying bad network connection or something to that effect? Mine stopped working around 3:30 this afternoon.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Droc
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
This should be obvious, and it's been mentioned, but this likely is unprecedented for them due to the low cost and the lockout. People are chomping at the bit for hockey, so the load must be far greater than they've experienced on previous day 1's.
Your probably right. Winter classic's, playoffs, and cup finals have nothing on the sens/jets game.

It must be some kind of Jesus-like miracle that the CBC managed to anticipate this unprecedented celestial event enough to put out a smooth stream. If these guys ran NASA Bruce Willis would not have died in Armageddon.

I bow to your superior network prowess.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

When the early games end should it be easier to get in? Because right now that is my only hope.. been trying to connect now for 10 mins.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Teezax

It's super slow stats wise

Old
01-19-2013, 05:47 PM
bigred50

There is NO WAY GCL is going to work for any of these games starting at 7pm tonight. NHL.com is going to explode.

I should have gone with hockeystreams...

Old
01-19-2013, 05:48 PM
Ronoceros

I can watch one game, but I cannot get w or more games going at once. aka the picture in picture

Old
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Your probably right. Winter classic's, playoffs, and cup finals have nothing on the sens/jets game.

people keep forgetting these are not just normal regular season games today. these are the 1st games after a 4 month lockout. people are just antsy to watch hockey, so you have more non playing team fans trying to watch that 1st bit of hockey in what seems like forever.

Old
steveat

I don't think it has anything to do with the network. The rest of the NHL website works, but that. It's either the CDN or the software that makes this all happen. CDN = Software...well..in most cases it does. It could be an application somwhere else...but I am telling you...it's not to do with bandwidth.. It is def something else. If it was bandwidth or overloaded network..the rest of the stuff would be down as well.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:49 PM
kwhyte

Quote:
I pay nothing for hfboards. I paid $50 for gamecenter, plus extra for Verizon on IPad. Only hfboards is working now. Is it hard to understand why I'm upset about how my money has been spent?

I'm not asking for much - a personsal apology for what went wrong and a promise to fix it going forward. That's not asking for any money for todAys problems, just a fox for the futureons and and an acknowledgement that today was below par. They needn't even tell me who was responsible,just an assurance they've fixed it going forward. Is that so much to ask?

Old
01-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:

Nope, but you should consider a bunch of variables we're unaware of. We have NO idea what their network situation is right now. Change in hardware? Software? Staff? Configuration? Provider? One or more are likely. On top of this being DAY ONE as opposed to a WC or PO Series where they've obviously been adjusting and know what they're working with prior to it.

I don't care man. I really don't. They won't either. Cancel it. Find pirated streams... it's easy enough. There are TONS of them. They mostly suck horribly and stutter at the worst times, but occasionally you'll find a reliable HD stream. It's like playing the lottery. All I said initially was to calm down and give it a day or two. Your loss.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with the network. The rest of the NHL website works, but that. It's either the CDN or the software that makes this all happen. CDN = Software...well..in most cases it does. It could be an application somwhere else...but I am telling you...it's not to do with bandwidth.. It is def something else. If it was bandwidth or overloaded network..the rest of the stuff would be down as well.
The rest of the site does not work, only some articles pages load.

Closed Thread