HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Hall-Yakupov vs Seguin-Galchenyuk

View Poll Results: Which pair would you take on your team?
Hall-Yakupov 251 48.83%
Seguin-Galchenyuk 243 47.28%
Too close 20 3.89%
Voters: 514. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-19-2013, 04:04 PM
ThundaLion

vCash: 500
Hall Yakupov scares me more, but I would rather build a team around Seguin Galchenyuk.

ThundaLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:11 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Wow that's a bad argument. What a bad post. I don't think I need to break down why.
If you're going to attack an argument, you need to explain why.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:36 PM
reffree

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Yeah, I would like to know his greater logic. I tried to explain why the vast majority of hockey "expert" are favoring Seguin right now. It might be true or not, that's not the point. I suppose just calling them "idiots" is enough of an argument for that kid

edit: nice avatar by the way

Last edited by reffree: 01-19-2013 at 05:44 PM.
reffree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:40 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Do I really need to go into detail about how everything he said is just flat out wrong?

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:45 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Do I really need to go into detail about how everything he said is just flat out wrong?
I should become a defense attorney, and say everything the prosecution says is wrong, with absolutely no argument or evidence of my own.

I would win every case, right?

Old
01-19-2013, 05:53 PM
MessierII

Quote:
I should become a defense attorney, and say everything the prosecution says is wrong, with absolutely no argument or evidence of my own.

I would win every case, right?
Good god. Fine. Being 1st or 2nd on your team in points is completely irrelevant to the discussion first off. Eberle had way more points than any Bruin so it bears no reflection on either player individually. Add to that the fact that Hall had a better PPG than Seguin essentially nullifies the rest of his post regarding improvement and what not. Floored I just had to explain that.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:11 PM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

Quote:
Good god. Fine. Being 1st or 2nd on your team in points is completely irrelevant to the discussion first off. Eberle had way more points than any Bruin so it bears no reflection on either player individually. Add to that the fact that Hall had a better PPG than Seguin essentially nullifies the rest of his post regarding improvement and what not. Floored I just had to explain that.
Their PPG rate last year was almost identical. 0.827 for Seguin, versus 0.868 for Hall. It was a wash between the two last year. (This is generally why the injury thing comes up, most would take a player who had an .827 PPG for a whole season over someone who had a .868 for 75% of a season.)

Old
01-19-2013, 06:31 PM
reffree

Quote:
Good god. Fine. Being 1st or 2nd on your team in points is completely irrelevant to the discussion first off.
Again, I think "hockey expert" might think it's more impressive to be first on the Cup defending team than 2nd on his on line with a bottom feeder. I see you disagree.

Quote:
Eberle had way more points than any Bruin so it bears no reflection on either player individually. Add to that the fact that Hall had a better PPG than Seguin essentially nullifies the rest of his post regarding improvement and what not. Floored I just had to explain that.
Seguin's first season he was at 0,30 ppg, his 2nd season he was at 0,83. A plus 0,53 ppg improvement.

Hall had 7pts in his first 17th game in the NHL. But after his short adjustement period he finish with a 0,73ppg. His second year he had a 0,87 ppg. Still improvement, the curve is just not has drastic has Seguin.

Right or wrong people will look at that curve and say Seguins potential is higher than Hall. Doesn't mean it's true, but again those "hockey expert" are not biais anti-Oilers fans, they're basing their argument and somethings and I think thoses two reasons might explain it a little.

reffree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 11:59 PM
lawrence

1 Seguin
2 Galchenyuk
3 Yakupov
4 Hall.

Seguin Galchenyuk combo.

Silly question also, Seguin defeated Hall in a one on one poll, and Galchenyuk also defeated Yakupov in a head to head poll.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:20 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedawg View Post
As a guy who has watched alot of both of them..with habs vs bruins..and living in Edmonton. I just love Seguins game much more than hall and that kills me to say it.

Seguin is just a better all around player. Makes guys around him better, more creativity, more agility. Hall is a better straight forward skater, but Seguin is a very agile skater.. Love is shiftiness and ability to make something out of nothing.
That play he made to break free in the playoffs made my jaw drop. I think it was against tampa?

I see hall as more of a 30-30 type. While seguin has elite scoring upside.
And I will always lean towards the C over the W.

Just one guys opinion.

EDIT: This is the goal i was talking about:
I think you need to watch both play a lot more and maybe at some point along the way you might notice that Seguin plays wing and not center . Funny statistic for you Hall has taken more than twice as many faceoffs as Seguin has this year so if anyone is the center of the two maybe it should be Hall.

I'm not a big fan of the Habs and with his injury last year I didn't get to watch Galy play in junior at all, the only time I seen him play was the WJC so I don't think it's fair for me to comment on him vs. Yak.

I am however a pretty big fan of the Bruins and would consider them my 2nd or 3rd favourite team and I do get to watch Seguin, nowhere near as often as Hall, but to me there is no comparison between the two I would take Hall hands down without a second thought. Seguin has 3 attributes that are better than Hall, he is better on a break-away, has a more accurate shot (nice release too), and has a better fundamental understanding of how to break down defensive coverage with passing. Hall really drives the play all over the ice with his skating ability he closes gaps extremely quick and he can back off whole teams with a quick charge into the zone, Hall can break down defensive coverage with his skating alone and doesn't require much thought on his part, he also excels at carrying the puck into the zone while maintaining possession (which is far more important than most people think). Hall also has a really heavy shot, underrated play-making ability, and does throw the occasional bone-crushing hit, he also creates more turnovers with his speed either intercepting pucks or forcing D to make bad plays for his line-mates to pick off. Hall leads Seguin in every intangible such as grit, heart, determination, and leadership (Hall is fearless to a fault); there is a reason he was Memorial Cup MVP two years in a row sadly he hasn't gotten to show that in the NHL playoffs. The argument that Seguin is better defensively I don't buy, I believe the difference is solely the system differences between the teams in combination with more experienced and better defensive core Boston boasts and if they were to switch teams I'm sure it would be Seguin who is considered to be the weaker of the two defensively.

Hall is criminally underrated on these boards and the vast majority of this board thinks both Eberle and Nugent Hopkins are better players than him right now, while many on the Oilers board may argue Nuge is going to be the best of the 3 in the future, the consensus is Hall is our best player now. This disconnect makes me think a lot of people voting don't really watch these players all that much.

BTW yes I am a hypocrite cause I did vote for my Oiler guys, despite admitting to not watching Gally play all that much. I just don't like seeing them lose in this poll

Last edited by Burnt Biscuits: 02-23-2013 at 04:32 AM.
Burnt Biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:22 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
1 Seguin
2 Galchenyuk
3 Yakupov
4 Hall.

Seguin Galchenyuk combo.

Silly question also, Seguin defeated Hall in a one on one poll, and Galchenyuk also defeated Yakupov in a head to head poll.
This is really bad, considering Hall has outscored Seguin and Seguin is a winger

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:23 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
LOL, you looked at how many goals each scored but didn't realize the game difference...poor math skills

Yakupov: 49G in 65 games
Gally: 27 goals in 33 games

So to sum it up:
Yakupov: 0.75g/gp
Gally: 0.82g/gp

Seems fair enough to say they're pretty much even or that Gally is slightly better, but on a smaller sample size.
Yakupov was injured last half... or we use injury excuse for only one of them

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:56 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

Hall >= Seguin
Yakupov >= Galchenyuk

It's real close but I'll give the slight edge to the Oilers duo. I can see how some people prefer Galchenyuk over Yakupov but Seguin over Hall I'm not so sure about. Hall was considered the better player before the draft and has played better since.

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:00 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Yakupov
Seguin
Hall
Galchenyuk

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:02 AM
Bluesman91

Give me Seguin and Galychenyuk with a Cup on the side for the Blues.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:20 AM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Back in 2010, I would have taken Seguin first, and I still would.

Seguin > Hall

Galchenyuk is outplaying Yakupov right now, he's got more points, and an incredible +/-. Galchenyuk IMO will be a better player than Yakupov, in terms of what he brings to the table, he's the complete package.

Galchenyuk > Yakupov

... Now imagine if Montreal traded Subban + 3rd overall for 1st overall... Montreal would have had Yakupov, and Edmonton, Subban and Galchenyuk. Not a good trade for Montreal, so happy that didn't happen. :O

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 09:21 AM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy Kassian View Post
Yakupov
Seguin
Hall
Galchenyuk
Ummm yeah no...

Yakupov ahead of Seguin...

Seguin and Hall are easily 1 and 2 right now. Don't see how someone with 18 NHL games has already proven enough to be ahead of Seguin and Hall. And Galchenyuk last? Have you seen the stats? Galchenyuk's 12 points to Yakupov's 10? Galchenyuk's +9 to Yakupov's -8? Enough said.

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

Too early for Gally and Yakupov.

However, Seguin>=Hall.

So Seguin+Galchenyuk.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:00 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Too early for Gally and Yakupov.

However, Seguin>=Hall.

So Seguin+Galchenyuk.
lol Hall is destroying Seguin this year

Hall has a better PPG average throughout his career

Hall > Seguin

Yak=Gally

thus my homer vote goes to Hall, Yak

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH57 View Post
Back in 2010, I would have taken Seguin first, and I still would.

Seguin > Hall

Galchenyuk is outplaying Yakupov right now, he's got more points, and an incredible +/-. Galchenyuk IMO will be a better player than Yakupov, in terms of what he brings to the table, he's the complete package.

Galchenyuk > Yakupov

... Now imagine if Montreal traded Subban + 3rd overall for 1st overall... Montreal would have had Yakupov, and Edmonton, Subban and Galchenyuk. Not a good trade for Montreal, so happy that didn't happen. :O
A Habs fan taking Galy over Yakupov?

NO WAY.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
A Habs fan taking Galy over Yakupov?

NO WAY.
Well... Yakupov gets more ice time, more PP time and still...

Galchenyuk just had his first PP pt yesterday while Yakupov has 50% of his pts on the PP (+1 empty net).

Nicko999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:28 PM
vanwest

Hall and Seguin are close. But I think Yakupov is better than Gally so I'd take the Oilers duo.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:45 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reffree View Post
Probably because Seguin finish first in scoring on a pretty good team while Hall finish 2nd on an aweful one. Add to that scouts like to see improvement curve and Seguin's one was through the roof, while last years Hall was kinda the same players as his first year (exept the first 10-15 games).

But like some have said, they're close and if Hall finish first on the Oil in scoring with a good improvement curve this year and Seguin doesn't respond, then alot of people will go with Hall at this time next year.
So it's going to come down to a heads up scoring race? I prefer to judge the player by actually watching them, and can easily say Hall is the more dominant force in every area of the game except vision/awareness. His forechecking is insane, and by forcing Dmen to rush passes Ebs and the Nuge get to pick off breakout passes at the blue line every game. His speed, drive to the net and physical play all go well beyond that of Seguin. Both are great young talents, but Hall is much more of a game changer.

As for the Yak vs Galy debate, consider me very impressed with Galy. Didn't realize the kid could be this good this fast. He has definitely outshone Yak due to a WAY better 2 way game. Now with that said, Yak has been trying to play the opposite wing to accommodate Hemsky (something I don't agree with), and I do believe he is the more dynamic offensive talent because of his shot/goal scoring ability, but for right now give me Galy.

Either way, the poll is kind of goofy anyway. With Seguin there was at least the Taylor vs Tyler debate, but last year it was Yak vs Murray. I can't even say the Oil had Galy 3rd because they seemed very interested with Reinhart.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:10 PM
Johnny Bravo
Avi until he's fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Well... Yakupov gets more ice time, more PP time and still...

Galchenyuk just had his first PP pt yesterday while Yakupov has 50% of his pts on the PP (+1 empty net).
Understandable when the Oilers are the worst 5 on 5 team in the leaugue.

I still take goals over assists.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 03:41 PM
samsquanch9*

Holy **** reading this thread had me cringing at oilers fans... they just swarm to any thread that involves one of their players.

samsquanch9* is offline   Reply With Quote