HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Schroeder or Ebbett (UPD: Canucks recall Schroeder from Chicago - Jan 22)

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Fictional Realism
What is going on?

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think trading Ballard and retaining Alberts, Vandermeer, and Barker in the 6-7-8 spot is an awful awful idea, personally. I would much prefer to think that the one who performs the most poorly will just be cut/put on waivers (and he hasn't decided who that is yet).
Agreed. Absolutely no reason to trade Ballard this year unless it is part of a bigger deal where we add salary. As mentioned above his value could very well increase this season as it has got to be near an all-time low. I'm hoping we can find somewhere to dump Alberts.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I'm not sure what the thinking is but perhaps there's a smaller deal in the works that will alleviate the logjam at D. See this quote from AV:

Gilis hinted at something similar. My feeling is that Schroeder will be back by the next weekend.

---

I feel like people are basically implying that everything that this organization has said to Schroeder or said to the media about him is a lie. In exit meetings last year they told him that he deserved a call up and only the circumstances prevented him from getting one. During camp AV went at length to praise JS for his play and his development. Gillis said he is guaranteed to be back soon. We haven't heard a single negative thing, not a single comment about him needing more time or anything like that.

This is the same organization that didn't hesitate to tell the truth to Grabner, Hodgson, Shirokov and countless other players.
All of which is fair. I'm not one of those people that automatically assumes AV hates small players: I just think he makes some curious decisions and has a bit of a soft spot for talent-challenged 4th liners. It just annoys me a bit that they even signed Barker and that it appears it may result in an inferior line-up being iced, even on a short-term basis.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:58 PM
Scurr
Bear G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
All of which is fair. I'm not one of those people that automatically assumes AV hates small players: I just think he makes some curious decisions and has a bit of a soft spot for talent-challenged 4th liners. It just annoys me a bit that they even signed Barker and that it appears it may result in an inferior line-up being iced, even on a short-term basis.
"The process" and "competing" are every bit as important to winning as talent. AV doesn't favour talent challenged players, he demands that guys buy into team concepts and compete. As it should be.

The Barker point is fair. IMO he offers enough juice to be worth the squeeze but I don't like icing an inferior lineup either.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Samzilla
Prust & Dorsett are

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
"The process" and "competing" are every bit as important to winning as talent. AV doesn't favour talent challenged players, he demands that guys buy into team concepts and compete. As it should be.

The Barker point is fair. IMO he offers enough juice to be worth the squeeze but I don't like icing an inferior lineup either.
Sure looked to me like Schroeder was doing just that. He was defensively responsible while at the same time creating offense. He certainly wasn't floating out there or cherry picking.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Sure looked to me like Schroeder was doing just that. He was defensively responsible while at the same time creating offense. He certainly wasn't floating out there or cherry picking.
Which is why AV praised him and said he will be back soon. If it weren't for waivers Schroeder is the #2C. What point are you trying to make here?

If you're going to blame anyone, blame Gillis for thinking that Barker is an adequate NHL defenseman.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Scurr
Bear G

Quote:
Yes, he was. And he's going to be a much better player for knowing that he had to commit to playing that way to get a sniff of our lineup. Teams that give players spots on talent don't get the same kind of buy in from their young guys imo.

Old
01-19-2013, 03:08 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Which is why AV praised him and said he will be back soon. If it weren't for waivers Schroeder is the #2C. What point are you trying to make here?

If you're going to blame anyone, blame Gillis for thinking that Barker is an adequate NHL defenseman.
So we are taking a worse team to the season than we could ice because we are afraid of losing an AHL journeyman to waivers or a depth depth depth defenseman? In an 82 game season this doesn't make sense...in a 48 game season it makes even less sense.

01-19-2013, 03:08 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post

I agree, except about Barker. I just don't see an upside there, which is probably why this annoys me so much. Also, it's been awhile since I was able to be annoyed about a hockey issue that wasn't a lockout, so I'm kind of enjoying it

Old
01-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Do you not get the feeling that Ebbett over Schroeder is a temporary numbers-game decision and not an AV preferring Ebbett over Schroeder decision? Everything we've heard has indicated this.

AV has all but said that Schroeder has beaten out Ebbett.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:22 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
So we are taking a worse team to the season than we could ice because we are afraid of losing an AHL journeyman to waivers or a depth depth depth defenseman? In an 82 game season this doesn't make sense...in a 48 game season it makes even less sense.
Short term vs long term.

What if we lost ebbet then lost another forward, who would we have left? This way we have someone to call up. It won't be for long.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:28 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
Short term vs long term.

What if we lost ebbet then lost another forward, who would we have left? This way we have someone to call up. It won't be for long.
What if no one gets injured but we keep losing because we don't have a second line? Why ice a worse team than we have to? Still makes no sense to me. If Schroeder is up here and gets injured (or Henrik gets injured) then deal with it at that time. Maybe then you put Higgins or Hansen in a more prominent scoring role and bring up someone like Bill Sweatt for a 3rd or 4th line role.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:34 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
What if no one gets injured but we keep losing because we don't have a second line? Why ice a worse team than we have to? Still makes no sense to me. If Schroeder is up here and gets injured (or Henrik gets injured) then deal with it at that time. Maybe then you put Higgins or Hansen in a more prominent scoring role and bring up someone like Bill Sweatt for a 3rd or 4th line role.
Yes, this current zero game losing streak is unbearable.

Also, "what if no one gets injured," are you kidding?

Old
01-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
You normally say some disagreeable things that I can at least see where you're coming from, but this is kind of silly.

If the second line with Ebbett looks to be causing us to lose games, we'll try something else and probably bring Schroeder back up. Who knows what the context of the decision to send him down was anyways. Why are you acting like this is a permanent problem?

Losing Ebbett for nothing just to be able to START the season with Schroeder is silly-- Ebbett's a solid piece to keep around.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Tiranis

If we lose 2 games and it's because of our 2nd line then things will be done to address it. That said, based on Gillis' and AV's comments, I think they're going to address the Schroeder situation after the first 2 games either way.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:48 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Basically this

Quote:
If we lose 2 games and it's because of our 2nd line then things will be done to address it. That said, based on Gillis' and AV's comments, I think they're going to address the Schroeder situation after the first 2 games either way.
It's because if we wait until teams have a 23 man roster we can sneak a dman through waivers. Wait a few days and he will be back up.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Wizeman*

I think Schroeder is better than Hodgson . I honestly do. He is faster and stronger and he has been willing to take his lumps.

This move by Gillis is due to Kesler being nowhere near ready to play. Schroeder will get his chance , he doesnt have to play tonight.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:55 PM
jammyrft

Schroeder is just so small. Not anywhere close to being able to compete physically at the NHL level in my opinion.

But Ebbett is also small, and was terribly outplayed compared to Schroeder so I don't understand this decision

Old
01-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
Schroeder is just so small. Not anywhere close to being able to compete physically at the NHL level in my opinion.
The same league in which Nathan Gerbe competes on an everyday basis? Schroeder might be short, but he's not small or weak.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I think Schroeder is better than Hodgson . I honestly do. He is faster and stronger and he has been willing to take his lumps.

This move by Gillis is due to Kesler being nowhere near ready to play. Schroeder will get his chance , he doesnt have to play tonight.
Even though he's a smart player with decent skills, Schroeder's hockey sense and puck skill is far inferior to Hodgsons, IMO.

He may have a better two-way game, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would suggest that Schroeder has 1st line upside, whereas Hodgson, despite his flaws clearly has that ability, IMO.

Old
01-19-2013, 04:58 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
Schroeder could play tomorrow against a more talent Oiler team??? We don't know if he is on a plane to Chicago yet

Old
01-19-2013, 05:00 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
Schroeder could play tomorrow against a more talent Oiler team??? We don't know if he is on a plane to Chicago yet
Unless somebody gets injured there's no way he can play tomorrow. We're at the 23 man limit and didn't waive anyone by the deadline today.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:06 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
Quote:
Unless somebody gets injured there's no way he can play tomorrow. We're at the 23 man limit and didn't waive anyone by the deadline today.
I read somewhere Kesler has been put on LTIR so there is a spot?

Old
01-19-2013, 05:09 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
It's because if we wait until teams have a 23 man roster we can sneak a dman through waivers. Wait a few days and he will be back up.
I don't know if that's necessarily sound reasoning. The vast majority of players make it through (74 of the 77 this year) and looking at the transaction lists from past seasons there are just as many guys being claimed a few days into the season as there are just prior to it.

Old
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Even though he's a smart player with decent skills, Schroeder's hockey sense and puck skill is far inferior to Hodgsons, IMO.

He may have a better two-way game, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would suggest that Schroeder has 1st line upside, whereas Hodgson, despite his flaws clearly has that ability, IMO.
Hodgson is too slow and not strong enough on his skates. He doesnt fight. He doesnt hit and while his offensive upside is better, Schroeder will make the better pro once he settles in.

Watch and see. Hodgson may very get 30 goals with his first line juicy half boards power play time, but he will also be injured 1/2 the time. Hes been injured WAY too much for a guy that young to turn around and have a healthy NHL career.

He also pouts when things dont go his way. He also does not play the wing well either. I do not see Hodgson being a very good pro at all.

Old
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
I read somewhere Kesler has been put on LTIR so there is a spot?
Kesler was never on the Active Roster so he never had a spot to clear.

Closed Thread