Awful, bad, suckish, the worst, horrible, pathetic, embarrasing.
Ok, what was good?
Enström was good, he looked good defensively, stopping Spezza several times, using his long stick well, and he looked good on the PP.
Buff was good, he looked dominant offensively at times, and only allowed one 2 on 1.
Burmi, Antro and Poni looked good, they did exactly what we wanted them to, except that they didn't score. They were good defensively, they played a good possession game in the offensive zone.
Wellwood looked ok, didn't do anything bad, and made a couple of good offensive plays
And yeah, that's pretty much it.
What was ok?
Little looked good in the beggining, but then he disappeared.
Jokinen tried, but Kane is a hard player to play with, and it showed.
Our fourth line didn't look bad.
What was bad?
Postmas defensive game.
Wheeler looked lost.
Ladd didn't look good offensively, and took an incredibly bad penalty that killed the game.
Stuart was completely invisible, except when he lost the puck so Neil could put it in the net. He's not supposed to be invisible, but he was today.
Hainsey didn't look good.
Pavs can't give up the fourth goal. The first goal was a bit weak too.
What was awful?
Kane! He's supposed to be so much better than this. He didn't look fast, he couldn't hold on to the puck, he didn't pass well.
Clitsome. Yeah... Redmond next game?
Easy to blame our goaltending and defense, but we still did not create near enough scoring chances imo. LLW didn't look good at all, Kane-Jokinen-Wellwood did nothing, 3rd and 4th lines were our best this afternoon.
Buff was a beast, Enstrom was solid, Stuart was looking good but had a bonehead play on the 2nd goal, Postma showed flashes of the offense we all hear about, but was not good enough defensively, Clitsome was awful, Hainsey was meh.
Pavs was not good, I don't think he lost us the games like it seems some of the posters do, but he will need to be a lot better if we want a shot at the playoffs.
- Jokinen comes exactly as advertised. His puck poise and speed are fantastic, although I really don’t think Kane belongs on this line.
- Enstrom and Byfuglien are picking up where they left off. Two very strong defensemen, and one of the best pairings in the league.
- The Ponikarovsky-Burmistrov-Antropov line was incredible. By far the best line on the team. Hustle, defensive skill and agitation all in one.
- The team played an excellent first ten minutes.
- Noel broke up the PBA line in the third. Found that very questionable as they were the only line creating any chances.
- Pavelec allowed two very soft goals. In fact, none of the goals against were particularly good.
- Hainsey and Stuart were bad. Not the worst pairing, but they were bad.
- Blake Wheeler wasn’t himself. He played with a fire last year that I didn’t see at all tonight.
- Scheifele’s skating is terrible. He needs to be returned to juniors to work on that. He may need to spend next year in St. John’s. There’s no point in rushing him. This team is not a serious contender.
- The Postma-Clitsome pairing was particularly brutal. This goes to show how weak our defensive depth is. Really should have kept Kulda around.
After losing the opener, we could be very much in trouble if Bogosian isn’t back soon. Our glaring weakness is on defense. Past Enstrom and Byfuglien, I don’t feel comfortable with anyone else on the ice. Ladd, Wheeler and Kane MUST play better, or we will stand no chance at making the playoffs. As for goaltending…I won’t comment beyond saying that Montoya needs to be ready for a lot of playing time.
With all that said, I’m happy to have hockey back, and I’m glad to be able to complain about the team’s play, rather than about business meetings and greedy rich people.
GO JETS GO!
I think his skating in terms of speed and acceleration looked pretty decent, his balance on the other hand....wow...that being said to me he was one of our most dangerous offensive players today (playing against 3rd and 4th liners so I guess take that with a grain of salt) but I'd really like to give him a shot in the top 6 and see what he can do I really think he could contribute this year.
Pavs was AWFUL! God those goals by Turris and Karlsson he should of had, could have kept the Jets in it and maybe swung the momentum.
I thought Jokinen was pretty good tonight. Granted he and Kane didn't hook up like we all wanted them to...but its the first game. I'm sure results will come with time. I thought Wellwood worked his little tale off, and looked to be better then ever. Buff has a good commitment to actual D now which is good.
All in all...the D outside of Toby and Buff need to shape up and if they could capitalize on the PP this game would have been in the bag by the end of the first.
I'm bummed, but the possession game was much better. The pp needs work. Nothing that wont get fixed in 48games.