HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Keith Ballard

Old
01-19-2013, 04:17 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Don't expect too much, a third round pick I guess. People act like he is a bad bottom pairing guy, but he is very effective on that bottom pairing and can move up into a top 4 spot if needed. He is a reclamation project for sure, but if not for that contract we would be happy to keep him. I we found someone really desprate we might get a late second or something

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Nick the Viking

vCash: 500
Would the Canucks be allowed to buy out Ballard at year end and then resign him? Obviously Ballard would have to understand his role would mean less pay but if he believes in the team and wants to be a part of it, he should know they can't pay him 4.2 on the 3rd pair...

Would the NHLPA object to that?

Nick the Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:43 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Boy View Post
Would the Canucks be allowed to buy out Ballard at year end and then resign him? Obviously Ballard would have to understand his role would mean less pay but if he believes in the team and wants to be a part of it, he should know they can't pay him 4.2 on the 3rd pair...

Would the NHLPA object to that?
Not allowed, could not even trade for him for a year.

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:50 PM
deckercky

Not worth it even if it were possible. Ballard would be worth his salary on a lot of teams, so he'd never make it through wavers which is necessary to buy him out. I think it'll depend on what's available, but for a team that wouldn't be likely to sign him as a UFA I could see a second round pick being traded for him before the draft.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:43 PM
DJOpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
AV seemed to decide that ballard sucked from pretty much the minute they met.
Ask anyone who knows, AV hates Ballard on a personal level. I think Ballard is too casual for him.

DJOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:46 PM
I in the Eye

To NYI: Ballard
To VAN: Visnovsky

Islanders get a long-term top 4 dman, and solve the Visnovsky problem (assuming it still exists, haven't been following)... Visnovsky walks after this year anyways as a UFA (doubt he re-signs with NYI)... and would a draft pick for the NYI really help? They'd probably be looking to convert that draft pick into a top 4 dman (I would think, as an outsider)...

Ballard is probably off the team anyways this offseason (salary cap going down)... Ballard is converted from a long term salary that will be difficult to fit, into a short term "rental"... Visnovsky is a right hand shot with the attributes the Canucks need for a (hopefully) cup run... Visnovsky is then off the books after the year (can re-sign with NYI, if both parties want it)... Visnovsky, I'm sure, would also like to stick it to LA... I imagine a pissed off Visnovsky would play pretty well against LA...

Canucks D and goalies going into the playoffs (barring injuries, knock on wood):

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Visnovsky
Garrison - Tanev

Schneider - Luongo

I in the Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:52 PM
wiredmaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonz View Post
Ballard is still our best option, by far, for the left side of that 3rd pairing. He and Tanev have good chemistry, his cap hit is manageable for this season, and his trade value is lower than it should be. Trading him now also opens another hole at a time when quality defensemen are hard to come by.

We're far better off keeping him for the season, hoping he plays well enough to increase his trade value, and moving him at the draft.
Exactly.

wiredmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneiderman View Post
I don't exactly like Ballard and his contract but you have no idea what you're talking about. Ballard was solid for us in the playoffs last year. The only thing holding us from keeping him is his contract.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
which playoffs are you talking about? in 2011 when he first arrived and no doubt had problems adjusting to the system? or last year when he was arguably the Canucks most consistent dman during their first round loss to the Kings?
I'm obviously not talking about last year, way to short of a sample size. We all know what year Ballard was terrible in, as it was really bad hence he got only 10 games. Also Ballard was a bit player last year in a short series his team lost, hardly impressive. They need to shelter him, he's never been a key player on a good team. He's not worth his salary in the slightest, he is not a top 4 dman. The excuse that he had trouble with the system is ridiculous, he was there for a whole season.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:37 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I'm obviously not talking about last year, way to short of a sample size. We all know what year Ballard was terrible in, as it was really bad hence he got only 10 games. Also Ballard was a bit player last year in a short series his team lost, hardly impressive. They need to shelter him, he's never been a key player on a good team. He's not worth his salary in the slightest, he is not a top 4 dman. The excuse that he had trouble with the system is ridiculous, he was there for a whole season.
you mean the season when he first arrived in Vancouver, was asked to move to a different side, which he's never played before, in a system that was totally different than any he's every played in before, in a season where he suffered his first ever injury in his hockey career which sidelined him for 2 months of the offseason before he arrived in Vancouver (on crutches), and then 4 games into his career as a Canuck suffered his first concussion. After coming back from this injury - his second in his career (the 1st being the knee injury which sidelined him in the summer), he had back injury missing time again... then he had an MCL injury in early Feb.

So a guy who's never been injured in his career before, goes to a new team, is injured 4 times from the offseason and through the season, and then is expected to jump back into the lineup and perform like he belongs in the system and on the team?

Yea, there's just no reason at all to suggest that any player in that situation would struggle at all. Ballard must suck.. surely a guy who's had 5 years in the NHL, 1 year in the AHL and 3 years in college without suffering any injuries at all, must easily be able to handle an injury-plagued season for the first time, while adjusting to a new system, position and expectations.

As far as never being a key player on a good team, you could say that about every player on the Oilers for example. Another way to look at it could be that he was a top pairing dman on every team until he came to Vancouver. In Florida he was top-3 in the league among dmen in hits and blocked shots, while being a top pairing guy there. To say that he's never been a key player on a good team, you could use that argument for half the players in the league.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:38 PM
zeus3007*

If a decent bottom pair defenseman who is paid little can get a third round pick (Mark Fistric), I'm not sure Ballard could get even a fourth. He's starting to look more and more like waiver fodder.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:52 PM
arshonagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I'll take his sample size of his healthy season with the Canucks and every season he played in the NHL before being traded to the Canucks.

Complaining about too small of a sample size and then sing 1 season is a joke my friend.

arshonagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:06 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Ballard is secure. He is Tanev's partner.

Also, I don't think Gillis will ever buy out a player. That would be admitting a mistake.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:39 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post

Islanders get a long-term top 4 dman, and solve the Visnovsky problem (assuming it still exists, haven't been following)... Visnovsky walks after this year anyways as a UFA (doubt he re-signs with NYI)... and would a draft pick for the NYI really help? They'd probably be looking to convert that draft pick into a top 4 dman (I would think, as an outsider)...

Ballard is probably off the team anyways this offseason (salary cap going down)... Ballard is converted from a long term salary that will be difficult to fit, into a short term "rental"... Visnovsky is a right hand shot with the attributes the Canucks need for a (hopefully) cup run... Visnovsky is then off the books after the year (can re-sign with NYI, if both parties want it)... Visnovsky, I'm sure, would also like to stick it to LA... I imagine a pissed off Visnovsky would play pretty well against LA...

Canucks D and goalies going into the playoffs (barring injuries, knock on wood):

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Visnovsky
Garrison - Tanev

Schneider - Luongo
Can only speak for myself but as an Islander fan I would love it. At least we would have something to show for the 2nd round pick we traded for Lubo. Plus I think that Ballard would play well with increased minutes and responibilty on the Island.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:07 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
Can only speak for myself but as an Islander fan I would love it. At least we would have something to show for the 2nd round pick we traded for Lubo. Plus I think that Ballard would play well with increased minutes and responibilty on the Island.
We need a centre who can actually take a draw though. Ebbett is a terrible face off guy.
Lubo for Ballard works as a base, but since Lubo is unlikely to even come to NA again, we would need a roster forward.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 12:52 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
We need a centre who can actually take a draw though. Ebbett is a terrible face off guy.
Lubo for Ballard works as a base, but since Lubo is unlikely to even come to NA again, we would need a roster forward.
Normally I would suggest that we add Marty Reasoner, but in good conscience I can't because it appears as if he has nothing left in the tank.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:36 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Visnovsky
Garrison - Tanev

Schneider - Luongo
Isles want Vis because they want to boost the scoring from their blueline.

He's been banned from playing in KHL games, has not been allowed to play in his KHL team's last games 1-2 games. He and his agent are saying, he'll be joining the isles in 2 weeks.

I'd think the isles would rather give him those two weeks, see if he doesn't report,
see if he can't boost their pp scoring.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote