HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Flyers - HOCKEY IS BACK!

Old
01-19-2013, 06:51 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I thought the team defense tonight looked great, and Martin-Orpik did well.

This game was playoff-esque and they all acquitted themselves very well.
Plus, as I said, how the second and third periods played out was very good for Flower. He needed to be challenged like this, and he answered the bell.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:52 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Nope. Hartnell, Giroux and Simmonds always up front. Timonen and another forward on the point, usually Voracek.

Ask Flyers fans. They know. OR, you could as Jagr fans. Like me.
It's going to be just bizarre seeing him in a Dallas jersey. I mean, he'd already suited up for the Caps and Rangers, so it wasn't too jarring (for me, at least) to see him with the Flyers. I think it'll be stranger to see him play for some random Western team that offered him the most money.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

No matter what happened today, one game a season does not make.

MrBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PartyatMarios

[QUOTE=Lost in Crafton;57867027]+Paul Martin
+Brandon Sutter
[B]+Doc's Charles Laughton reference [/B

- Doc bringing up "its been 30 minutes since the last penalty"

and then Engo getting the Int.

PartyatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
HF's whole raison d'etre IS confirmation bias.
Considering how many people are praising Martin's game today, I'd say there's hope for us yet.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:54 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
And truthfully...this is a HUGE win for the Pens. It doesn't hurt or help the Flyers, but the Pens needed a win against the Flyers in a big game. Recently, we have been their *****. Today I didn't have that feeling of "oh here we go..." or frustration. Probably because I didn't feel that same thing in the players.

But hey - it's one game. Just keep the train on the tracks.
THIS.

Folks, let's not lose sight of this.

All last year, the Pens owned play in the first in pretty much every game. Giroux scores to open the second. How many of you were saying 'here it comes, the wheels are going to fall off'. This team battled. You take the two points knowing that things like chemistry and rust will sort themselves out (and holing that Ray Shero will take care of the rest by the deadline).

Old
01-19-2013, 06:55 PM
MonsterSurge

Tangradi needs to play like Clowe, Backes, and those guys. He doesn't hit anyone. Jeffrey had more hits than he did today.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Giroux schooled him pretty good a couple of times, too. Overall, Martin looks A lot better on right defense, as he used to be in New Jersey.

Still, 47 more regular-season games until we hopefully buy him out. He's simply not worth the ticket.
Don't let that between the legs ******** fool you. He was on the outside the entire time. We had position on him. Geno does that all the time, too. It makes no difference to the play but the crowd loves it. Fleury should have just picked it up easily but made it look harder.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
No matter what happened today, one game a season does not make.
Yeah but its the same garbage over and over again.

The backdoor is open so much its off the friggin hinges already.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:56 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Giroux schooled him pretty good a couple of times, too. Overall, Martin looks A lot better on right defense, as he used to be in New Jersey.

Still, 47 more regular-season games until we hopefully buy him out. He's simply not worth the ticket.
Giroux schooled him, but he was doing it on the outside, where Martin would keep him, not dancing by him into prime scoring areas.

And, for clarification, I am NOT a Martin fan.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:57 PM
aSockalypse

If Martin plays as well as he did today, I'll be satisfied and no longer call for a Martin trade. Same with Nisk i thought he did pretty well today. Despres had his moments of good and bad today, I'd like to see Bort on the 3rd pairing and see how he does. I still think Despres has a higher upside, but I'm not sure if hes ready.

Offensively I thought we were already, we still need to get into the season chemistry form but I was content with what I saw today. So far I like Sutter A LOT, and Glass is great on the 4th.

Still hate Tangradi. Haven't seen any shimmers of the "potential" he's supposed to have. Put the dude in front of the net he's huge. Not a skill winger.

aSockalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:58 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Don't let that between the legs ******** fool you. He was on the outside the entire time. We had position on him. Geno does that all the time, too. It makes no difference to the play but the crowd loves it. Fleury should have just picked it up easily but made it look harder.
I don't know, Cole, there was something about Flower making the easy look difficult and the difficult look easy today that was refreshing and encouraging and reminiscent of cup Flower.

Old
Pardon My Swag

+ Sutter, really liked what I saw from him. He has some really good speed.

+ Fleury, nothing spectacular, but a much better showing than the play-offs last year. He kept it simple and got pretty nice bounces his way (11/11 on PK saves).

+ Finishing checks and taking them to make plays.

+ Starting the season strong with a win, so important. 4 point game.

- Kunitz, his defensive lapse on Giroux's goal was ridiculous. That play was incredibly slow developing and it still vexed him. Hopefully that is just the rust of the off-season.

- Crosby, I honestly felt like he looked a little tired and defaulted a little too much to his wingers on the boards when taking the puck into the zone. He for sure needs to do more shooting, because we all know what he can do. I'm sure he will be much better soon since he didn't play any real games in the off-season like the others and he was probably making sure his head wasn't going to get smashed in the whole game.

- Tangradi, didn't really see what gave him the edge over Bennett to be honest. I know it is only one game, but if he can't produce with Malkin and Neal over the next few games, I can see Bennett getting his shot rather quickly.

- Officiating, a lot of phantom calls after we had our one power-play of the game that resulted in a goal. I think the officials are a little rusty from the off-season as well...I hope...

Pardon My Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Illinest

Martin was awesome today. By far the best player on the ice in my opinion. Did he switch sides? Whatever he did it seems to be working.

I forgot to say that this was one of my favorite non-scoring games from geno and craig adams was good all game long.

Illinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:02 PM
wgknestrick

I think Martin was much better than most are giving him credit for (even still) and MAF was much worse (albeit lucky). MAF fought pucks all night and had trouble finding pucks during the scrambles. I hope he can build from this game and keep improving. He was really lucky a couple of those post shots weren't goals. I'd like to see him eat pucks more instead of them bouncing off him, back into play.

I want Lovejoy back on D instead of Depres. Ben can actually win a battle on the boards by himself. Simon was worked over constantly in the D zone.

DJ had a decent game aside from his bad turnover. Don't overlook his 62% on faceoffs by winning 5/8.

I also want Vitale back, but it may be musical chairs on the 4th line this year. TK still proving to me he belongs on 2nd line in front of Tangradi. Otherwise a great win and point denial on PHI. Staal who?

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Whale Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aSockalypse View Post

Still hate Tangradi. Haven't seen any shimmers of the "potential" he's supposed to have. Put the dude in front of the net he's huge. Not a skill winger.
I loved when we brought in Tangradi and even I'm starting to think it might be time to cut bait on the kid. I was crying that he didn't get much time when he was up on the NHL level and the few minutes he did get were with very marginal players.

Well, you can't get much more ice time with more quality linemates than he did today and he still looked very very average, if that. Too early to call, but I certainly hope we see much better out of him, and sooner than later.

Whale Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Sutter16

Paul Martin really stood out in a really good way. Malkin was forcing alot of turnovers. Sid's line didn't do much. Sutter, Niskanen, Fleury, and James Neal played great as well. Kunitz on the Giroux goal was awful.Despres looked better then I thought.

Sutter16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:04 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Am I alone in thinking you could really tell Geno had been playing in the KHL, where the D isn't as good/physical and the ice is a lot bigger?

He looked solid, but he didn't look as sharp as he usually does to me.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:05 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Nope. Hartnell, Giroux and Simmonds always up front. Timonen and another forward on the point, usually Voracek.

Ask Flyers fans. They know. OR, you could as Jagr fans. Like me.
or I could just look at the stat sheet...12:23
PHI PPG - B. Schenn (1) Tip-In - ASST: S. Hartnell (1) AND J. Jagr (1)

01:16
PHI PPG - C. Giroux (5) Wrist - ASST: J. Jagr (5) AND W. Simmonds (2)

He definitely spent a good amount of time on the 1st unit.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:07 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
I think Martin was much better than most are giving him credit for (even still) and MAF was much worse (albeit lucky). MAF fought pucks all night and had trouble finding pucks during the scrambles. I hope he can build from this game and keep improving. He was really lucky a couple of those post shots weren't goals. I'd like to see him eat pucks more instead of them bouncing off him, back into play.

I want Lovejoy back on D instead of Depres. Ben can actually win a battle on the boards by himself. Simon was worked over constantly in the D zone.

DJ had a decent game aside from his bad turnover. Don't overlook his 62% on faceoffs by winning 5/8.

I also want Vitale back, but it may be musical chairs on the 4th line this year. TK still proving to me he belongs on 2nd line in front of Tangradi.
1. Will you be talking about your preference for Lovejoy when the playoffs come? I've got no clue how Despres is going to look in March and April, but this is the time to find out. I already know all that I need to know about whether Lovejoy belongs in big games.

2. Same for Tangradi. I doubt that he belongs with Geno and Neal, but I know that TK doesn't. He gets his extended look with them. If it doesn't work, then I'm sure Bennett is next. If that doesn't work, then it goes onto Ray Shero's deadline 'to do' list.

Old
01-19-2013, 07:09 PM
SidGenoMario

+ for MT getting a job

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:09 PM
Pancakes

I thought Sid was making a ton of nasty passes but his speed wasn't completely there. He's always a slow starter though so I'm not gonna panic about his game.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:10 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Great job Cole.

Would you give Tangradi a + or -??

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:10 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Tangradi needs to play like Clowe, Backes, and those guys. He doesn't hit anyone. Jeffrey had more hits than he did today.
No he didn't.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

But by no means don't let things like evidence or what really happened get in the way of your blind hatred.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:11 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
Am I alone in thinking you could really tell Geno had been playing in the KHL, where the D isn't as good/physical and the ice is a lot bigger?

He looked solid, but he didn't look as sharp as he usually does to me.
Tough to tell. Not a lot of help from Tangradi (some nice things, but not a lot). Plus, Geno never forced anything dangerous today. Last year, he'd force more. Once in a while, that would lead to a spectacular play and everyone would go 'wow', while forgetting the one or two that led to quality chances or goals against.

What really shows for me, from the KHL, is Paul Maurice's influence. As I said, smart with the puck, defending his net, always hustling back and in position defensively, backtracking well, especially when you consider the increased defensive burden of having Tangradi instead of Kunitz.

It wasn't beast mode Geno, for sure. But, it was a smarter, more aware, more responsible Geno. I mean, can you name an ill advised play or blown coverage in his game today? There may have been one, but I didn't catch it.

I'll ask this again: If Geno buries the shot on the 2 on 1 with Neal, would you have posted what you did about the KHL surface?