HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVI

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
well...of course you cant ask a canes fan that question. they have a cup. but facts are when they are missing the playoffs, the cup they won is no concellation. its old news.

you come at this with the idea that cup or bust means cup. it usually means bust and with the caps it almost certainly means bust.

was it you that called me myopic? lol....careful not to give yourself too much credit. you assume i know what myopic means.

so....for the record, if the caps went for broke and had the montreal series happen again and then spent the firesale season and 4 or 5 more seasons trying to get back to qualifying for the playoffs....thats ok with you?
So does going broke entail either

1) Trading Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson or Alzner?

or

2) Trading everything they have for extremely short term vet solutions?

Because if not, this "spending 4 years out of the playoffs" angle is nonsense.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:56 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
well...of course you cant ask a canes fan that question. they have a cup. but facts are when they are missing the playoffs, the cup they won is no concellation. its old news.

you come at this with the idea that cup or bust means cup. it usually means bust and with the caps it almost certainly means bust.

was it you that called me myopic? lol....careful not to give yourself too much credit. you assume i know what myopic means.

so....for the record, if the caps went for broke and had the montreal series happen again and then spent the firesale season and 4 or 5 more seasons trying to get back to qualifying for the playoffs....thats ok with you?
Why would they need a firesale season if they dont win a Cup? Are you assuming its going to be in like 5-7 years, and all the players are old, with no youth, so they "have too do a firesale"?

See, thats the point of NOT wasting the Young Guns prime years. Get the Cup during the middle of it.

With players like Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Green. It will never be a full "bust". If its a Chicago type "bust" (examples people have been using), then sure. I do it 100 out of 100.

Canes were pre-lockout, so their Cup or bust isnt a fair analogy. Salary cap etc means being a true "bust" is very hard to do when you have foundation players, which the Caps do.

Right now, this just looks like *ANOTHER* wasted "Prime of Career" Young Guns year.

Old
01-20-2013, 09:58 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
So does going broke entail either

1) Trading Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson or Alzner?

or

2) Trading everything they have for extremely short term vet solutions?

Because if not, this "spending 4 years out of the playoffs" angle is nonsense.
Ah, I posted before reading this.

Yeah-- this is it. Going for broke doesnt automatically mean firesale and 5 years of purgatory.

Old
01-20-2013, 10:24 AM
n3ss

It's not too late to offersheet Benn or O'Rielly.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
It's not too late to offersheet Benn or O'Rielly.
But you'd have to substantially overpay in order to find a scenario where Dallas or Colorado doesn't match. And that also means giving up more draft picks.

Old
01-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKE5889 View Post
He said "since the last lockout." Tampa won before that lockout. They also had Lecavalier, St. Louis, Brad Richards, Boyle in his prime, and Khabibulin in his prime on that team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiKE5889 View Post
They had guys who were on ELCs at the right time, and would become long term staples on the team (Staal, Ward, LaRose, Gleason). And they got quality performances out of them in the playoffs (Staal led the team in scoring and Ward played his way to a Conn Smythe). And both Brind'Amour and Williams were on long term deals, though neither would see the completion of them with the Hurricanes.

Old
01-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Capitlols

If the core needed a shakeup, it would come down to Laich or Green right?

Old
01-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Halpysback

Devils fans seem pretty receptive to Volchenkov for Perreault + 3rd or Tallinder for Perreault + 2nd. I'd gladly do the first one. Push one of Poti or Hamrlik (prob Hamrlik) to 7D, Erskine to 8D, Hillen to Hershey and Schultz to Hershey and then amnestied over the summer. Would give us the best defense we had in the Ovechkin era (half of it due to Schultz no longer being able to defile a hockey game), good playoff depth, and Volchenkov is about as close to a T-800 as a hockey player can be, which should be a boost for the whole team and would improve our PK as well.

Plus the thought of Volchenkov and Orlov developing chemistry and destroying anyone trying to rush our zone with their head down gives me a massive hockey boner.

Old
01-21-2013, 02:52 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
If the core needed a shakeup, it would come down to Laich or Green right?
I have been pushing to get Mike Green out of town for years now. But even I will say its way to late. His value is so low that even with a 5% chance he becomes the player of old. We still have to hold on to him based off of what he would bring back in a trade.

Laich does a lot of things on the ice a team needs to win. He is a true jack of all trades and a master of none of them.

I would be happy to trade him for someone with a little less skill if they play angry all the time.

The team is way to soft.

As good a GMGM does in a lot of areas. I would like him to keep one or two spots open for hungry players fighting for there carers. And not give them 2-3 year deals all the time.

And as for there being a 5% chance we see the old Mike Green. You can forget it. Its not going to happen.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:36 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Kirilenko just got smoked by Serena Williams...

Old
01-21-2013, 08:34 AM
txpd

this forum is always so much more active when doom is at hand. they lost the first game....doom.

as for going for broke. i was in favor of pronger for carlson, varly and a first. i very much said so at the time and felt like the team needed a top end veteran presence on the blue line. had it worked out like in philly with a loss in the finals and then pronger was essensially done in the playoffs for them....i think i would rather have carlson.

Old
01-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
As good a GMGM does in a lot of areas. I would like him to keep one or two spots open for hungry players fighting for there carers. And not give them 2-3 year deals all the time.
What do you mean? Like Wolski on 1 year contract?

Old
01-21-2013, 10:21 AM
txpd

maybe he is talking about extending hendricks to a multi year after he saved his career on a one year. i dont know

Old
01-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
maybe he is talking about extending hendricks to a multi year after he saved his career on a one year. i dont know
Bingo

Old
01-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
What do you mean? Like Wolski on 1 year contract?
Yes and No with Wolski. If it works out we get a cheap 15 goals. And at best we are still way to soft.

There should be a year one Hendricks type player on the team every season. Some will stick and some will bust. But all of them will give a 100% and do whatever it takes.

Old
01-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

GMGM did nothing but sign one year, low-risk, high-reward deals this off-season. Wolski, Fehr, Crabb, and Hillen. Crabb definitely isn't "soft," either.

Also, remember that Hendricks came here without a contract on a training camp try-out. He won his deal in the pre-season with excellent play.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
GMGM did nothing but sign one year, low-risk, high-reward deals this off-season. Wolski, Fehr, Crabb, and Hillen. Crabb definitely isn't "soft," either.

Also, remember that Hendricks came here without a contract on a training camp try-out. He won his deal in the pre-season with excellent play.
Great list, two soft wingers a midget and a guy that in the end we will probably wish he was on the ice more.

Nothing on that list changes how soft and passive the team is.

I would prefer the team dumper dives to bring back pure effort guys.

Crabb may fit that mold. And I hope he does.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

This team is so soft in a lot of areas any player that shows any sign of crashing the net is looked at as if he is hard nosed.

Look at Brooks, and the role he plays. The guy gives a lot of effort and does a few things well. And he does this on a team that has effort issues and is way to soft.

Look at it this way. We walk into a bar full of mostly unattractive girls. And then we see a solid 7 (out of a 1-10) and we all think she is hot. But the truth is she is nothing special. She only looks good in her present surrounding.

That's Brooks, he does a few things well on a team that does a poor over all job in them areas. And he would not stand out so much on other teams.

I just see no fight in this group. I will not go as far to say they don't care.

I just wish they had a lot more push back.

Old
01-21-2013, 01:56 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

I mean you really can't blame the players. They've gotten to this point in their career doing what they are currently doing. It's GMGMs fault for not getting harder players.

Old
01-21-2013, 03:53 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
Bingo
i think you have to consider that the conditions change.

1. a player on a one last shot one year contract that has a successful season then has the choice to move on for a better contract. if you take a chance on a player and he finds success, would you want to lose him to a rival because you wanted to keep the presssure up on him?

2. lets use bradley as an example. bradley was increasingly effective as a motivating factor the longer he was with the team and the more apart of its fabric he became. same is true of hendricks. if you change that player out evert year on a one year contract, you dont get that value and often will end up with a bust of a player.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:22 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Just came to say that I would really, really like to see Ryan O'Reilly in a Caps sweater. That thing looks more and more like it's going the trade route.

Old
01-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Just came to say that I would really, really like to see Ryan O'Reilly in a Caps sweater. That thing looks more and more like it's going the trade route.
Schultz, Perreault and Neuvirth? I doubt we will win such an auction.

Old
01-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Capitlols

Mojo + 2nd + for ROR?

Old
01-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
i think you have to consider that the conditions change.

1. a player on a one last shot one year contract that has a successful season then has the choice to move on for a better contract. if you take a chance on a player and he finds success, would you want to lose him to a rival because you wanted to keep the presssure up on him?

2. lets use bradley as an example. bradley was increasingly effective as a motivating factor the longer he was with the team and the more apart of its fabric he became. same is true of hendricks. if you change that player out evert year on a one year contract, you dont get that value and often will end up with a bust of a player.
Except grinders are the easiest players in the NHL to replace, maybe except of backup goalies. The only time they are worth locking up is if they are elite penalty killers or defensive players, but then we are talking about the Caps roster here. If they find greener pasture elsewhere, there are plenty of options for the league minimum and you could also put young players on their ELC in a low risk role.

If the entire team falls apart because grinders don't stick around, there is a deeper problem with a lack of leadership at the top end of the roster that no grinders will fix.

Old
01-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I think we'd all like to see Radar as a Cap, but I just don't see us as an ideal suitor for him. Even if we are willing to assume Ribeiro is moving on and pay a 2C price for him, I highly doubt we'd be the most aggressive suitor. Teams desperate for a center (Chicago, Toronto) would probably be willing to outspend us.

Closed Thread