HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Flyers - HOCKEY IS BACK!

Old
01-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Fleury broke Barasso's win record!

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:13 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I think everyone is being objective. We're just applying different standards. In the same way that most believe that Sid needs a second wheel on his line, most thing Geno and Neal, as things stand now, could do for an upgrade when the playoffs come.

So, if you look at it from that perspective only, then the instant reaction is to say 'Tangradi doesn't cut it'. From my perspective, I'd agree on the one hand. On the other hand, I saw enough good things from his game today to think that he's got the potential to cut it.

Most may have a different opinion, but I'm looking at Tangradi as I look at Despres. The question isn't so much the minutia of his game but whether or not keeping him is a decision you will come to appreciate in March and April.

It was very small baby steps in game one for Tangradi, but he made them.
I understand what you're saying, but disagree. There are some people saying he was horrible. Even if he "won't cut it" on that line (I'm not convinced of that), not sure how we could conclude he was horrible.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:13 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutter16 View Post
Paul Martin really stood out in a really good way. Malkin was forcing alot of turnovers. Sid's line didn't do much. Sutter, Niskanen, Fleury, and James Neal played great as well. Kunitz on the Giroux goal was awful.Despres looked better then I thought.
Well, apparently I wasn't alone then in noticing. As I wrote earlier, I haven't seen him play defensively like that since Bylsma beat the defensive responsibility out of him.

EDIT: It's been a few pages. I have a monster man crush on your boy.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:14 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

I'd just like to say that I think Tangradi started off his series of good shifts playing with Crosby. He's always looked better with Crosby than with Malkin.

Idealy I'd prefer the top 3 lines to be (if everything goes right)...

Kunitz - Crosby - Tangradi
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis/Kennedy

MrBurghundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

I thought Letang, Martin, and Orpik were all ridiculously good. Outside of them, I'd say Neal and Fleury were the only others were mentioning. Great win.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Great job Cole.

Would you give Tangradi a + or -??
Much like Despres, some great stuff and some mistakes. He definitely created a lot when he went for it. Then there were times where he gets stuck too far deep in the zone and never knows when to come back to play defense.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:15 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

This is such a Brandon Sutter lovefest.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:16 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I understand what you're saying, but disagree. There are some people saying he was horrible. Even if he "won't cut it" on that line (I'm not convinced of that), not sure how we could conclude he was horrible.
I tried to answer a question why there was a divergence of opinion on Tangradi. I didn't think he was horrible. I also didn't think there was a reason to pop the champagne cork. If our aim here is to find out if Tangradi is a guy for the playoffs with Geno and Neal, then I say the jury is out. He gave some decent evidence that he could be, but he hardly made the case. But, as I keep saying, like with Despres, talk to me in a month, then two months, then in April. That's how you have to measure those two.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Terrapin

+ MAF. Got helped by a couple of posts, but only giving up 1 goal on the road against Philly should be the games 1st star.

+ Suter. Dude doesn't seem to do anything extraordinary, but is good at everything. Awesome 3rd line center.

+ Neal. Looks primed to lead the team in goals.

+ Martin. Maybe the biggest suprise of the game. Played very solid. Still don't think he can hold up that well on the PK, but we'll see.

+ Getting the win in Philly.

- Sid. Just didn't seem to get going today. His line was largely invisible.

- Tangradi. Listen, if he doesn't score, doesn't hit, doesn't get to the net, and doesn't grind down low, I'm not sure what else is left for him. He looked slower than usual too.

- Jeffrey. Not good. Probably won't see him for a few weeks.

- Despres. Seemed to get stronger as the game went on.

- Glass. Hoping for some big hits and energy from him today. Didn't hear his name called once. I miss Asham.

- Defense in front of the net. Not sure that will improve with this group, but they gotta do something to keep people out of the crease and off Fleury.

Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:20 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Tough to tell. Not a lot of help from Tangradi (some nice things, but not a lot). Plus, Geno never forced anything dangerous today. Last year, he'd force more. Once in a while, that would lead to a spectacular play and everyone would go 'wow', while forgetting the one or two that led to quality chances or goals against.

What really shows for me, from the KHL, is Paul Maurice's influence. As I said, smart with the puck, defending his net, always hustling back and in position defensively, backtracking well, especially when you consider the increased defensive burden of having Tangradi instead of Kunitz.

It wasn't beast mode Geno, for sure. But, it was a smarter, more aware, more responsible Geno. I mean, can you name an ill advised play or blown coverage in his game today? There may have been one, but I didn't catch it.

I'll ask this again: If Geno buries the shot on the 2 on 1 with Neal, would you have posted what you did about the KHL surface?
Yea, I would've. He played a real good game, but he had a couple rushes where he likes to push the D back then drop it off for someone. Both times, the D got the puck away from him, which I chalked up to the KHL and having to readjust back to the speed of the NHL.

By no means am I saying he looked bad. He didn't even look average, because he did have a good game. Just pointing out, to me, I could tell he had been in the KHL for the past 4 months.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:20 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Much like Despres, some great stuff and some mistakes. He definitely created a lot when he went for it. Then there were times where he gets stuck too far deep in the zone and never knows when to come back to play defense.
See, that's why I don't get people ******** about Geno. He covered big time today. I mean, aside from when he'd get tackled in the offensive zone, I'm pretty sure he was almost always first back (and the backtrack especially was money).

Now, in two months, I don't want Geno feeling like he's got to do that every shift or it's an odd man rush against.

BUT, for now, I'll take it, because, as I keep saying, the goal is to find out if and where on the priority list a winger for Geno and Neal ranks come early to late March.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:21 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
Yea, I would've. He played a real good game, but he had a couple rushes where he likes to push the D back then drop it off for someone. Both times, the D got the puck away from him, which I chalked up to the KHL and having to readjust back to the speed of the NHL.

By no means am I saying he looked bad. He didn't even look average, because he did have a good game. Just pointing out, to me, I could tell he had been in the KHL for the past 4 months.
Oh, I see what you're saying. I think you're especially referencing the one time that happened with Niskanen, where it almost seemed like the dropped pass was placed where he expected a guy who plays in Ottawa to be.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
One game but Martin 5th in scoring race.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:23 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I'd just like to say that I think Tangradi started off his series of good shifts playing with Crosby. He's always looked better with Crosby than with Malkin.

Idealy I'd prefer the top 3 lines to be (if everything goes right)...

Kunitz - Crosby - Tangradi
Bennett - Malkin - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis/Kennedy
Tangradi won't get a shot with Sid, unless Bylsma flips him and Dupuis. But, that would be because Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis has nothing going in a week or so.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:23 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
This is such a Brandon Sutter lovefest.
As it should be . . .

Old
01-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Al Smith

+ Fleury
+ Great Third Period by the whole team in holding the lead.
+ Neal
+ Cooke
+ Letang

- "zero tolerance (per Pierre)" for interference lasted about 20 minutes.

Hard to be too hard on guys for six days of training. Most made some bad turnovers. And Geno and Jeffrey haven't been playing against NHL caliber competition.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

+ Martin had his best game in years. If that is anything like the Martin we get all year, we are in for a good season.

+Bylsma letting Tangradi play with Geno and Neal all game, even if not every shift.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:27 PM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Tangradi won't get a shot with Sid, unless Bylsma flips him and Dupuis. But, that would be because Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis has nothing going in a week or so.
Well yeah, but I said if everything goes right. I just think Tangradi has historically played better with Sid. Obviously there isn't a lot to go on there, but he had one of his best shifts with Sid again tonight. Plus Dupuis would be great to have on a 3rd/4th line like during the year we won the cup.

MrBurghundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:27 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Oh, and the defense was amazing today. A few breakdowns, but overall, they played awesome.

I must say though, I really hope Despres continues to progress and eventually take Nisky's spot on that second pairing. Not that I have a gripe with Nisky, because he and Tanger looked really good today - tape to tape and good awareness of where each other where - but that's a small pairing. Both guys are 6 feet tall and just a few pounds over 200. Granted, Letang is a monster and plays a lot tougher than someone thats 6 feet 201 pounds, but Nisky isn't that physical/overwhelmingly strong. Things seem more balanced with Despres-Letang, and Nisky-Engo pairings.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:29 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Jordan staal is about to make his cane debut!!!

Old
01-19-2013, 06:30 PM
TheStinger
Non Omnis Moriar

MAF played real well today. Got a little help from his metal best friend and his team-mates, but all of the shots he should stop, he did. First period was awesome, but a few guys dropped off the intensity in the second and Philly got on top a little bit. Picked up the tempo in the third but it was a little too much of a tennis match for my liking (we'll have a shot, now you have a shot).

Vitale needs to come back into the team. Either one of Jeffrey or Adams can have a seat.

Special mention to Paul Martin - he can actually play! Still got beat a bit too easily a few times, especially that fancy pants move by Bambi that left him flapping at air, but on the whole a lot better than during the playoffs.

TheStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Malkin112

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
Am I alone in thinking you could really tell Geno had been playing in the KHL, where the D isn't as good/physical and the ice is a lot bigger?

He looked solid, but he didn't look as sharp as he usually does to me.
completely agree.

I think Malkin was completely shock how physical philly was. He looked very slow today IMO.

Malkin112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
+ Martin had his best game in years. If that is anything like the Martin we get all year, we are in for a good season.

+Bylsma letting Tangradi play with Geno and Neal all game, even if not every shift.
It was damn near every shift, even late in the third. I expected but never saw Glass, based on what Bylsma promised.

Old
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
I tried to answer a question why there was a divergence of opinion on Tangradi. I didn't think he was horrible. I also didn't think there was a reason to pop the champagne cork. If our aim here is to find out if Tangradi is a guy for the playoffs with Geno and Neal, then I say the jury is out. He gave some decent evidence that he could be, but he hardly made the case. But, as I keep saying, like with Despres, talk to me in a month, then two months, then in April. That's how you have to measure those two.
Thanks for answering for everyone

I don't think all of the "he was ****" comments are coming from your point of view.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:32 PM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

One last +

We won in regulation.