HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Flyers - HOCKEY IS BACK!

Old
01-19-2013, 06:32 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Well yeah, but I said if everything goes right. I just think Tangradi has historically played better with Sid. Obviously there isn't a lot to go on there, but he had one of his best shifts with Sid again tonight. Plus Dupuis would be great to have on a 3rd/4th line like during the year we won the cup.
Agreed.

And agreed about Dupuis.

It's one game. We'll see.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:35 PM
mpp9

Am I the only one that thought Niskanen played damn well?

The guy was getting run out of town less than 2 years ago. And is now playing 20+ minutes with our #1 D-man.

We have a hell of alot of options via trade if Martin, Nisky and Despres look good this season.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:35 PM
Ugene Malkin
Because....

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
Am I alone in thinking you could really tell Geno had been playing in the KHL, where the D isn't as good/physical and the ice is a lot bigger?

He looked solid, but he didn't look as sharp as he usually does to me.
He definitely tried some moves that players in the KHL would have backed off becuase there's more room, but NHL players are having none of that.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:36 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Thanks for answering for everyone

I don't think all of the "he was ****" comments are coming from your point of view.
Well, as noted, I'm smart enough to evaluate Tangradi like I'm evaluating Despres, where the real questions are/should be about taking positive steps and whether they can contribute in the playoffs as they presently are slotted.

Remember last year, when people like me said 'trade Martin, give Despres a shot and trade for a playoff rental to be safe' and others said 'but you don't know if Despres will cut it because he only played a few games'. Well, NOW you're going to find out if Despres can cut if it that question arises about either Martin or Niskanen as both are presently slotted.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post

The guy was getting run out of town less than 2 years ago. And is now playing 20+ minutes with our #1 D-man.

We have a hell of alot of options via trade if Martin, Nisky and Despres look good this season.
Niskanen definitely deserves a +

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dupree13

I'll take the two points alright, but I think Philly is still a bad match-up for the Pens. We got outplayed handily for 2 periods so I really can't give anyone a strong plus. Escaped with that one.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:

You're not alone about Niskanen. And, your conclusion is spot on. It's why I laugh about people clamoring for Ben Lovejoy.

Old
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:

Well, I already said it, but just because Nisky always deserves to be backed up: He killed it tonight.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:38 PM
Terrapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Well yeah, but I said if everything goes right. I just think Tangradi has historically played better with Sid. Obviously there isn't a lot to go on there, but he had one of his best shifts with Sid again tonight. Plus Dupuis would be great to have on a 3rd/4th line like during the year we won the cup.
When did this historical event take place? Dupuis had 25 goals last year (mostly without Sid). Tangradi had 2 (1 more than Despres did). Correction, ET had 0, same as Macintyre

Terrapin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Cooke had 7 hits today.

Hopefully he's found his sweet spot between playing dirty and playing scared of being penalized.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Well, as noted, I'm smart enough to evaluate Tangradi like I'm evaluating Despres, where the real questions are/should be about taking positive steps and whether they can contribute in the playoffs as they presently are slotted.

Remember last year, when people like me said 'trade Martin, give Despres a shot and trade for a playoff rental to be safe' and others said 'but you don't know if Despres will cut it because he only played a few games'. Well, NOW you're going to find out if Despres can cut if it that question arises about either Martin or Niskanen as both are presently slotted.
Martin showed today why I am glad we are giving him a chance to redeem himself and didn't trade him last year. This is the player he can be.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:39 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Martin showed today why I am glad we are giving him a chance to redeem himself and didn't trade him last year. This is the player he can be.
Yes, he was.

When I saw him cross check Wayne Simmonds while trying to establish position on the PP, I nearly **** a brick.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Yes, he was.

When I saw him cross check Wayne Simmonds while trying to establish position on the PP, I nearly **** a brick.
I watched him take a hit to make a play. I **** you not

Old
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
I'll take the two points alright, but I think Philly is still a bad match-up for the Pens. We got outplayed handily for 2 periods so I really can't give anyone a strong plus. Escaped with that one.
I dunno, as good as the Flyers were offensively in the latter periods, the Pens D (rather unexspectedly so) held them to the 1 goal lead wholly deservedly.

Old
Jacques G
Glassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Cooke had 7 hits today.

Hopefully he's found his sweet spot between playing dirty and playing scared of being penalized.
That's what I'm saying. And they weren't slouch hits either. If the game had been played in Pittsburgh people would have been out of their seats.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:42 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I remember that play . . .

Old
Pancakes

Yeah Niskanen was a great piece in that Neal trade. Everyone thought he was a throw-in because he struggled in Dallas but he's been great for us. He doesn't have to be the guy here and that definitely helps him. He looks so comfortable.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Cooke had 7 hits today.

This. He crushed someone in the corner (Timonen, I think?) like I haven't seen him do since his suspension. Hopefully, that Cooke is back. Same with Kennedy. That will be a great third line if they get back to that grit.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:43 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:

I seriously liked the whole D today. Reinventing their **** against the Flyers.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:43 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
I dunno, as good as the Flyers were offensively in the latter periods, the Pens D (rather unexspectedly so) held them to the 1 goal lead wholly deservedly.
They really did a nice job keeping play to the outside and protecting their net.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:45 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Yeah Niskanen was a great piece in that Neal trade. Everyone thought he was a throw-in because he struggled in Dallas but he's been great for us. He doesn't have to be the guy here and that definitely helps him. He looks so comfortable.
When that deal happened, he was a throw in/cap dump. But, the Pens have rebuilt his game.

Lest people forget, when Niskanen exploded onto the scene as a rookie, his defensive partner was Sergei Zubov.

Old
01-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0NTY26 View Post
This. He crushed someone in the corner (Timonen, I think?) like I haven't seen him do since his suspension. Hopefully, that Cooke is back. Same with Kennedy. That will be a great third line if they get back to that grit.
It was Kurtis Foster, and yeah, that was a huge hit.

Foster is going to be a big time whipping boy in Philly, I can see it already.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:48 PM
aSockalypse

Sutter is a HUGE move for us this season. Its been viewed as kind of "oh we lost Staal this offseason". But I think we replaced him with a better 3rd liner (because Staal is a more competent 2nd liner for any team with his two way ability but Sutter fits 3rd line energy and defensive qualities) plus the two awesome D prospects that will hopefully blossom into top 4 (Pouliot) and at least top 6 (Dumoliun) ((sorry for misspelling, correct me otherwise, if so)). Might be one of the biggest moves in the league besides Nash & Parise/Suter for us disregarding Carolina getting Staal.

aSockalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:50 PM
aSockalypse

But also I think putting Tangradi on top / 2nd line minutes is a trial before he comes tradebait. Honestly I've heard so much about his 'potential' and how good he is supposed to become, but I haven't seen a glimmer of it. Wouldn't be surprised to see him moved for a compatible top linemate / move him and call Bennett up.

aSockalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer