HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Edler Re-Signs w/ VAN [6 Years / $30M ($5M AAV) ]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2013, 01:28 PM
  #201
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National
 
Al Swearengen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,220
vCash: 500
Really solid deal. I can't wait for the trade proposals now that the cost certainty is locked down.

Al Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:30 PM
  #202
Flik
Canucks fan for life
 
Flik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dallas, Texas
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,478
vCash: 500
What a great way to kick off the season. Fantastic signing, and I am so stoked to see Edler take those final steps in his development. You know its a home run signing when fans from other teams are praising and/or lamenting it!

Flik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:10 PM
  #203
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
Agreed, it's beyond me how people rag on Gillis round here, when you compare his contracts to some that have gone down the last few years, it's like dodging a bullet every time someone comes up for free agency.
here's the biggest difference. in the old days, nonis can't get jovo to take a hometown discount, chases the UFA money in phoenix.

under gillis, ehrhoff begs to stay but there isn't room for him. could say the same about ohlund and salo. those guys all reluctantly took their big UFA paydays, hoping the canucks would match up to 75% of what the market was offering.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:13 PM
  #204
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
here's the biggest difference. in the old days, nonis can't get jovo to take a hometown discount, chases the UFA money in phoenix.
That's not what happened. Nonis told Jovo they were going to offer him a contract but then traded for Lu and Nonis never bothered calling him. Nonis is a bozo.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:42 PM
  #205
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
That's not what happened. Nonis told Jovo they were going to offer him a contract but then traded for Lu and Nonis never bothered calling him. Nonis is a bozo.
didn't nonis spend that entire season leading up to jovo's UFA status trying to sign him to a hometown discount? that's my memory of that awful season.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:51 PM
  #206
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
didn't nonis spend that entire season leading up to jovo's UFA status trying to sign him to a hometown discount? that's my memory of that awful season.
The way Jovo tells the story Nonis never offered him a contract.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:13 PM
  #207
AmazingNuck
Registered User
 
AmazingNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
here's the biggest difference. in the old days, nonis can't get jovo to take a hometown discount, chases the UFA money in phoenix.

under gillis, ehrhoff begs to stay but there isn't room for him. could say the same about ohlund and salo. those guys all reluctantly took their big UFA paydays, hoping the canucks would match up to 75% of what the market was offering.
SHOULDA DEALT BALLARD...

Gillis' biggest mistake was letting Ehrhoff walk. He was the only speed we had out of our back-end. Hopefully Garrison proves to be a good replacement, as he is more physical and better defensively.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:15 PM
  #208
LeftCoast
Registered User
 
LeftCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
SHOULDA DEALT BALLARD...

Gillis' biggest mistake was letting Ehrhoff walk. He was the only speed we had out of our back-end. Hopefully Garrison proves to be a good replacement, as he is more physical and better defensively.
Garrison looked very fast and mobile in the scrimmages. If he can develop some chemistry with Edler I could see this being one of the premier pairings in the league.

LeftCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:19 PM
  #209
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
under gillis, ehrhoff begs to stay but there isn't room for him. could say the same about ohlund and salo. those guys all reluctantly took their big UFA paydays, hoping the canucks would match up to 75% of what the market was offering.
Begs to stay? Ehrhoff went elsewhere seeking a big pay day. By my calculations, Edler left more on the table than Ehrhoff would've, had he signed Gillis' deal. He was clearly not interested in competing for the Cup. Given how soft he was each year in the playoffs, I completely see Gillis' reluctance to pay him $10m per year.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:34 PM
  #210
Taco Fingerhat
Registered User
 
Taco Fingerhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Begs to stay? Ehrhoff went elsewhere seeking a big pay day. By my calculations, Edler left more on the table than Ehrhoff would've, had he signed Gillis' deal. He was clearly not interested in competing for the Cup. Given how soft he was each year in the playoffs, I completely see Gillis' reluctance to pay him $10m per year.
I wasn't bothered by Ehrhoff's defensive deficiencies. Why can't we see and accept him for what he was... An elite defensive PP QB. We didn't need him to play in all situations. The day we let Ehrhoff walk, I immediately questioned the decision. I guess Gillis really believes in our internal defenesemen cap. Ehrhoff got fair market value in Buffalo, and I would've been fine if we offered him that contract, even if it runs scary long.

Taco Fingerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:39 PM
  #211
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNuck View Post
SHOULDA DEALT BALLARD...

Gillis' biggest mistake was letting Ehrhoff walk. He was the only speed we had out of our back-end. Hopefully Garrison proves to be a good replacement, as he is more physical and better defensively.
Buffalo is getting ****ed hard with the "Luongo rule" for Ehrhoff. Going to be pretty funny.

Had we kept Ehrhoff and re-signed him at $5.5M or more, Edler likely doesn't re-sign for $5M, and we also likely don't get Garrison for $4.6M either.

__________________
May 17, 2014: The day nightlife changes in Vancouver...ask me how.
y2kcanucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:41 PM
  #212
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
I wasn't bothered by Ehrhoff's defensive deficiencies. Why can't we see and accept him for what he was... An elite defensive PP QB. We didn't need him to play in all situations. The day we let Ehrhoff walk, I immediately questioned the decision. I guess Gillis really believes in our internal defenesemen cap. Ehrhoff got fair market value in Buffalo, and I would've been fine if we offered him that contract, even if it runs scary long.
Because that isn't what he is. He's a good offensive player with defensive limitations that wanted to be paid like an elite player.

Scurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:47 PM
  #213
Taco Fingerhat
Registered User
 
Taco Fingerhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Because that isn't what he is. He's a good offensive player with defensive limitations that wanted to be paid like an elite player.
Agree to disagree. Ehrhoff was the perfect fit with the Sedins on the PP. His cap hit is 4Mill per year. I think he earned fair market value for what he provides.

Taco Fingerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:50 PM
  #214
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
Ehrhoff got fair market value in Buffalo, and I would've been fine if we offered him that contract, even if it runs scary long.
Losing Ehrhoff was a huge hit to the team but if he had his heart set on a contract like the one he got, Gillis was right to let him walk. Good cap hit but terrible structure.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:56 PM
  #215
keslerburrows
Registered User
 
keslerburrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vernon, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
Losing Ehrhoff was a huge hit to the team but if he had his heart set on a contract like the one he got, Gillis was right to let him walk. Good cap hit but terrible structure.
I think Garrison will be a better partner for Ed anyway.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:00 PM
  #216
Taco Fingerhat
Registered User
 
Taco Fingerhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,555
vCash: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
I think Garrison will be a better partner for Ed anyway.
We're very lucky Garrison decided to sign with us. We would've been left with a significant gap on D.

Taco Fingerhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:29 PM
  #217
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
We would've been left with a significant gap on D.
That gap played a lot into how the season unfolded. Garrison does look like the fix so far.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:35 PM
  #218
ProstheticConscience
I see an eagle
 
ProstheticConscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canuck Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,074
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
That gap played a lot into how the season unfolded. Garrison does look like the fix so far.
Yeah, after 0 games played, it looks pretty good.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:38 PM
  #219
vadim sharifijanov
Registered User
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Begs to stay? Ehrhoff went elsewhere seeking a big pay day. By my calculations, Edler left more on the table than Ehrhoff would've, had he signed Gillis' deal. He was clearly not interested in competing for the Cup. Given how soft he was each year in the playoffs, I completely see Gillis' reluctance to pay him $10m per year.
first i'll say i completely agree that it was a smart decision to let ehrhoff go. short term, it's a loss, but longterm i think we'll be better off.

but wasn't there a report that what ehrhoff's agent asked from the canucks (which gillis wouldn't give and instead flipped his rights) was less years and less money overall than he got from buffalo? i don't have a link, but i remember a lot of discussion about this last summer.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:55 PM
  #220
yoss
Registered User
 
yoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
Love it. Our defense is looking good. Well done MG and thank you Edler I love you. Looking forward to his wrecking ball hits against Chicago (and other teams) this year.

yoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:02 PM
  #221
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,609
vCash: 500
Edler is such a humble and soft spoken guy, and I never doubted for a second that he wouldn't stay.

Go see how crestfallen other teams fans are who were penciling in Edler (DET and BUF), that's why don't bank on being able to sign UFA's.

We got an absolute steal here, this is one of the best values for a player of his abilities and production.

And this solidifies our D and Goaltending for the next 4 seasons. Exciting times.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:05 PM
  #222
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Yeah, after 0 games played, it looks pretty good.
Everybody looks good in preseason.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:14 PM
  #223
FiveAndGame
Registered User
 
FiveAndGame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Edler is such a humble and soft spoken guy, and I never doubted for a second that he wouldn't stay.

Go see how crestfallen other teams fans are who were penciling in Edler (DET and BUF), that's why don't bank on being able to sign UFA's.

We got an absolute steal here, this is one of the best values for a player of his abilities and production.

And this solidifies our D and Goaltending for the next 4 seasons. Exciting times.
+1 Our D and Goaltending (which are both elite quality) are locked up for many years.

FiveAndGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 06:49 PM
  #224
Samzilla
Registered User
 
Samzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,770
vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Edler is such a humble and soft spoken guy, and I never doubted for a second that he wouldn't stay.

Go see how crestfallen other teams fans are who were penciling in Edler (DET and BUF), that's why don't bank on being able to sign UFA's.

We got an absolute steal here, this is one of the best values for a player of his abilities and production.

And this solidifies our D and Goaltending for the next 4 seasons. Exciting times.
Ehrhoff comes across as humble and softspoken too. Actions speak louder than words.

Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:02 PM
  #225
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,022
vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Edler is such a humble and soft spoken guy, and I never doubted for a second that he wouldn't stay.

Go see how crestfallen other teams fans are who were penciling in Edler (DET and BUF), that's why don't bank on being able to sign UFA's.

We got an absolute steal here, this is one of the best values for a player of his abilities and production.

And this solidifies our D and Goaltending for the next 4 seasons. Exciting times.
Well tim, if those fans had assessed Edler and our situation better they would have realized what would happen. Never had any doubt Edler would not sign here long-term.

Makes our media guys like Botchford et al look stupid.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.