HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stevens in...Hitch out??

Old
06-20-2006, 11:15 PM
Deron Gue

vCash: 500
Stevens in...Hitch out??

I was a little more that struck by the fact that Clarky wasted no time replacing Asst. Coach Wayne Flemming with Phantoms head man Jon Stevens. Stevens has been on the Flyers fast track for four years now. He has a Calder cup under his belt and has worked hard to develope our Young talent like Pittkenan, Umberger, Carter, Richards, Nitty and Polutny. Young coaches (can you say Laviolett) and fresh philosophies = the possible new head coach if Hitch can't keep up with the new NHL.
Being the opimist that I am I still believe Hitch can get the job done which means Stevens and Hitch could become a dynamic coaching duo.

Go Flyers

Deron Gue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 11:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
And I'm sure the veterans on the team will respect a head coach with zero NHL experience (and very limited as a player) over a guy like Hitch, who they essentially hand picked.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 11:35 PM
FlyerFire

they already said I think that Hitch is STAYING

FlyerFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 07:58 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
And I'm sure the veterans on the team will respect a head coach with zero NHL experience (and very limited as a player) over a guy like Hitch, who they essentially hand picked.
Very good point.

That said I think that Stevens will be Hitch's successor.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 09:20 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Very good point.

That said I think that Stevens will be Hitch's successor.
I think Stevens is going to get a job somewhere else before Hitch leaves... only problem with that theory.

Hitch is going to get an extention in short order, and will probably be here another 4 years minimum I would bet. If we have some serious success in that time period, which I don't think is outside of the realm of possibility, Stevens is going to get some good looks as jobs open up around the league. I believe he has interviewed for a couple of jobs in the past year (Anaheim?) already.

As for the start of this thread... it isn't surprising at all that the Flyers promoted from within. The incredibly stupid wrap that this organization gets about lack of loyalty, from those that are completely ignorant of how the operation works, is amazing. This organization ALWAYS promotes from within... or through connections that exist around the hockey world. Clarke, and Snider for that matter, are tremendously loyal to the people they know... the old boys network, if you will.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 09:23 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I think Stevens is going to get a job somewhere else before Hitch leaves... only problem with that theory.

Hitch is going to get an extention in short order, and will probably be here another 4 years minimum I would bet. If we have some serious success in that time period, which I don't think is outside of the realm of possibility, Stevens is going to get some good looks as jobs open up around the league. I believe he has interviewed for a couple of jobs in the past year (Anaheim?) already.
You are correct in that he interviewed for the Anaheim head coach job.

I think he has said more than once he wants to stay in Philadelphia. That said it wouldn't shock me if he stays with the Flyers as an assistant for 3-5 years.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
You are correct in that he interviewed for the Anaheim head coach job.

I think he has said more than once he wants to stay in Philadelphia. That said it wouldn't shock me if he stays with the Flyers as an assistant for 3-5 years.
I think it all depends on success... and if someone offers you a job as a Head Coach in the NHL, you cannot turn it down (unless the Flyers state to him that he will inherit). I mean, if the Pens struggle for a couple more years as their youth movement takes hold... would you turn that job down if it opened up? Statements about desire to remain in any city are great and all, but when a contract for your own team is in front of you...

He's clearly on the radar around the league, which makes me think he could get an offer within 5 years if this team has success.

Old
06-21-2006, 11:44 AM
MojoJojo

I would be mildly surprised if Stevens is offered a job as head coach. There are quite a few deserving AHL coaches and assistant coaches out there that have been waiting for a chance to be given their own NHL team. A lot of teams are afraid to hand the reigns over to someone without head coaching experience, and a lot of ex head coaches tend to get re-hired over possibly better rookie alternatives. If he replaces Hitchcock I would be even more surprised even though he would be the most natural selection for the job, because I dont think the Flyers will get rid of Hitch just yet.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I would be mildly surprised if Stevens is offered a job as head coach. There are quite a few deserving AHL coaches and assistant coaches out there that have been waiting for a chance to be given their own NHL team. A lot of teams are afraid to hand the reigns over to someone without head coaching experience, and a lot of ex head coaches tend to get re-hired over possibly better rookie alternatives. If he replaces Hitchcock I would be even more surprised even though he would be the most natural selection for the job, because I dont think the Flyers will get rid of Hitch just yet.
erm... you're pretty much describing Stevens with that sentence...

Old
06-21-2006, 12:56 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan1221
I was a little more that struck by the fact that Clarky wasted no time replacing Asst. Coach Wayne Flemming with Phantoms head man Jon Stevens. Stevens has been on the Flyers fast track for four years now. He has a Calder cup under his belt and has worked hard to develope our Young talent like Pittkenan, Umberger, Carter, Richards, Nitty and Polutny. Young coaches (can you say Laviolett) and fresh philosophies = the possible new head coach if Hitch can't keep up with the new NHL.
Being the opimist that I am I still believe Hitch can get the job done which means Stevens and Hitch could become a dynamic coaching duo.

Go Flyers
Stevens never worked with Potulny. Umberger, Carter, Richards, Eager, Ruzicka, Pitkanen, Meyer, and Niittymaki are the roster/prospect players that have worked with Stevens in the AHL.

I really like the Stevens move and I think it's one that might just rejuvenate the organization. What's the one thing that our coaching staff had in common before hiring Stevens? They're all old. The only people they can relate to are veterans. Young players get eaten alive by this organization or they do just enough to survive. With Stevens coming on board, here's a guy that can relate to the young players and bring the best out in them. Everyone raves at the job Hitch did with Pitkanen. Everyone should be raving about the job Stevens did with Pitkanen while Pits was in the AHL. That's where Pitkanen became the complete player.

I'm thinking that this team is going to be awfully young this year. I don't see any big free agent signings on the horizon this year and I think that the Flyers are probably going to bite the bullet and stay with the team they've got, but infuse a whole lot more youth into it.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 02:44 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
erm... you're pretty much describing Stevens with that sentence...
The point is that he is one out of a dozen, maybe two dozen guys that have similar qualifications. Of those maybe one or two will be given a shot at head coach next year, and then most likely it will be a guy promoted from within his own organization. its not impossible he will be head hunted away from the Flyers, but I would be mildly surprised if he was.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote